¡Snek!

Patricio Swayze

The wife almost stepped on a Copperhead last weekend. It was late, and she was walking back to the house from the shop. She ran inside to tell me. I grabbed a flashlight and went hunting, but couldn't find him. Now when its dark and I'm coming back up to the house, every branch in the backyard looks like a snake. That's the third one this year.

Snek.  In the chicken run.  Was kinda dead when it tried to get out through the garden netting and got stuck.  Was very dead when wife found it and got after it with the shovel.  

Coachwhip.  I think?  

I know, I know... Good snake.  But not good snake when it's going after the chicken eggs.  And tough to revive em once they get caught in that netting.  

IMG_7979.jpg
IMG_7981.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/16/2018 at 4:40 PM, Brewin’1up said:

The wife almost stepped on a Copperhead last weekend. It was late, and she was walking back to the house from the shop. She ran inside to tell me. I grabbed a flashlight and went hunting, but couldn't find him. Now when its dark and I'm coming back up to the house, every branch in the backyard looks like a snake. That's the third one this year.

You need to remember where you place them so you don't off yourself instead of her.

When did coachwhips become good snakes?

Snek.  In the chicken run.  Was kinda dead when it tried to get out through the garden netting and got stuck.  Was very dead when wife found it and got after it with the shovel.  
Coachwhip.  I think?  
I know, I know... Good snake.  But not good snake when it's going after the chicken eggs.  And tough to revive em once they get caught in that netting.  
IMG_7979.jpg
IMG_7981.jpg

@Brothahorn I try not to kill non-venomous snakes.  They're just trying to make a living like the rest of us.  But venomous snakes or anything that messes with my kids / pets / animals gets the business end of a shovel or shotgun.  I try to keep them out of the chickens with that netting around the base of the chicken run and full 1/2" hardware cloth around the actual coop.  I'd rather them move along than have a heart attack when I go check for eggs.

We were at our neighborhood swim meet yesterday and my son and one of his buddies were about a foot from a rattlesnake. They were in the pool grounds but there is a rock garden that surrounds the pool on one side.  The snake had ventured under the fence and was not on the pool decking but within the fence.

Picture below taken from outside the pool looking into the pool decking (snake is in the middle).  My 9 year old was sitting on the concrete block.  I helped get the kids away (and yes the kids wanted to get close and look) and a couple of dads were able to kill it after the kids were far enough away. Crazy.  They were too close for comfort.

snake_zpsmpaxerrb.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RD3 said:

We were at our neighborhood swim meet yesterday and my son and one of his buddies were about a foot from a rattlesnake. They were in the pool grounds but there is a rock garden that surrounds the pool on one side.  The snake had ventured under the fence and was not on the pool decking but within the fence.

Picture below taken from outside the pool looking into the pool decking (snake is in the middle).  My 9 year old was sitting on the concrete block.  I helped get the kids away (and yes the kids wanted to get close and look) and a couple of dads were able to kill it after the kids were far enough away. Crazy.  They were too close for comfort.

snake_zpsmpaxerrb.jpg

Did it rattle or did someone just have keen eyesight?  Because it is easier to spot Bert than the snake in that picture.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Did it rattle or did someone just have keen eyesight?  Because it is easier to spot Bert than the snake in that picture.

No rattle. My son's friend dropped his towel in there and went to grab it and saw the snake. LUCKY.

2 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

captain american there used a pocket knife and a rake?  good for him.  can't the heads still bite after being cut off? 

I didn't see it but I think they pinned it with a big pool rake...

2 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Where is the snake in that picture?

When you see it . . . you'll shit bricks.

Spoiler

look dead in the middle of the picture, in between the metal fence and the concrete patio.  Look for western diamondback rattlesnake skin.  It's coiled up.  

Hopefully this loads.  He's kind of hard to see, but this moccasin kept skating back and forth while we were fishing one of the coves at LBJ.  In the video, I mention to my BIL, "If he comes back towards the boat, I'm shooting him".  He ended up coming straight towards the boat, and I waited until he was close enough to get a solid head shot.  BIL was supposed to be recording the execution with my phone, but he forgot to switch the camera option to video.  I love snakes, as long as they're non-venomous.  I don't really even hate venomous snakes, other than water moccasins.  I'll go out of my way to destroy those fucking things.  Again, it's a shitty video, but he's moving along the bank, in the sun, just left of the shadow.

https://imgur.com/a/J9ti0f7

• Like 2

Fuck this...

http://www.live5news.com/story/38240484/kayaker-in-critical-condition-after-rattlesnake-falls-out-of-tree-and-bites-him-on-edisto-river

COLLETON COUNTY, SC (WCSC) -

A man who was kayaking on the Edisto River is in critical condition after a rattlesnake fell out of a tree and bit him, according to Colleton County Fire and Rescue officials. 

Authorities say the 28-year-old man was bitten twice by a rattlesnake on the hand Saturday morning. 

According to CCFR officials, the snake was captured by the victim's friends who were kayaking with him.

The group then traveled to a landing at the end of Bobcat Lane and called 911.

"Medic 26 arrived about 12 minutes later and began treating the man," CCFR officials said."Colleton Medical Center was contacted and had anti-venom available." 

The man was then transported to Colleton Medical Center. 

"His condition greatly deteriorated en route to the hospital," CCFR officials said."The hospital treated him in the ED and transferred him to the ICU." 

He was then transported by helicopter to MUSC the following morning. 

Copyright 2018 WCSC. All rights reserved.  

• Like 1