¡Snek!

Patricio Swayze

34 minutes ago, retsevlys said:

AL. They're in the bend of a major river, about three miles to the river in three directions.  I grew up with alligators either coming from the river to raise young on our land or alligators walking through the yard to get to wherever they were going.  

When I was around twelve, we had a mama gator dig a hole in the swamp on our property to have her babies.  My dad went and caught a couple for my sister and I to take to school.  The mama would come up out of the hole hissing because my dad was disturbing the babies.  The babies make a grunting sound to communicate with their mother.  Kind of like an unt unt unt techno beat.

Did you "give em back"?

2 hours ago, retsevlys said:

The ones we took to school?  Yes.  The mother hissed then too.  I may be missing a reference here, though.

No, that's what I meant.  Did she reject them or anything?

Are they bitey when young?  Even an anole can inflict an uncomfortable bite, even if it doesn't much break the skin.

Edited by TwiceHorn

On 5/13/2022 at 10:52 PM, Steel Shank said:

Friends saw a snake disappear under a kitchen cabinet. It reappeared about a week later.
aa43a53e354693f81e2cf211ed88fc56.jpg

My wife would have been held up in a hotel and a for sale sign would be in our front yard if that happened.

13 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

No, that's what I meant.  Did she reject them or anything?

Are they bitey when young?  Even an anole can inflict an uncomfortable bite, even if it doesn't much break the skin.

She didn't.  

They are bitey, but nothing bad.  Their teeth are like tiny needles.  I don't remember them drawing blood.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

We never got the conclusion to this story. What happened with them, @Hammerin Hank

We haven’t seen them since that night. I’ve been looking for them at night before I go to bed, but they’ve either moved on or found a better hiding place. There’s a creek about 50 yards behind my back fence so I assume that’s where they are 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

Cottonmouth are positively buoyant all the time?  At least when they don't have a full belly.  Our local water snakes are usually only "head up" swimmers.  I'm not sure I've ever seen a regular water snake float like this.  

It does seem that cottonmouths are floatier than other snakes.  According to this article, https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-venomous-snake-swim-idUSKCN24S21P, all of the pit vipers huff air or otherwise increase their buoyancy, sometimes, when swimming.

But it also notes that when fleeing predators, pit vipers will swim submerged or partially submerged too.

17 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

It does seem that cottonmouths are floatier than other snakes.  According to this article, https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-venomous-snake-swim-idUSKCN24S21P, all of the pit vipers huff air or otherwise increase their buoyancy, sometimes, when swimming.

But it also notes that when fleeing predators, pit vipers will swim submerged or partially submerged too.

Another floater. 

Second vid is a Moc that goes from float mode, to sink mode in about 1 second.  

• 2 weeks later...

Almost ran over (or maybe did run over) the tail of what I believe to have been a nerodia yesterday on my bike.  Kinda hoping if I did hit it that the very skinny tail didn't suffer much.

Also saw another five-lined skink, this one with a very blue tail, but he was trying to escape so I didn't get a very good pic.

https://i.ibb.co/zxrGxkd/IMG-20220623-111110366.jpg

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

You do fucking realize there’s a link in the tweet, correct? Jesus fuck. 

The snake was captured in December, and the team waited until breeding season was over in March to start measuring and conducting research on the ones they found.

The conservancy uses male snakes — in this case, a specimen they have named Dion — to find the females ensconced in hard-to-reach places, Mr. Bartoszek said. The snake hunters place tracking devices on the males and focus on the areas to which they migrate during breeding season, which runs from November to March.

While the search for pythons can feel like a stakeout (the hunting and catching) and even resemble a crime scene (as researchers look through the contents of pythons’ stomachs), the snake hunters say they have a lot of respect for those carnivores, Mr. Bartoszek said.

“It is a remarkable animal and it’s here from no fault of their own,” he said. “But we realize what’s at stake.”

• 4 weeks later...

surprised this doesn't happen more often. calling bullshit on the 18 feet.

https://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/wireStory/pet-boa-constrictor-strangles-owner-police-investigate-87380639

FOGELSVILLE, Pa. -- A man's pet boa constrictor wrapped itself around his neck, sending him to a hospital, where he died several days later, authorities in Pennsylvania said.

Elliot Senseman, 27, died Sunday morning at Lehigh Valley Hospital, Cedar Crest, the Lehigh County coroner's office said. The cause of death was was listed as anoxic brain injury due to asphyxiation by constriction, and the manner of death was ruled accidental.

“A boa constrictor-type snake approximately 18 feet in length constricted around the neck of Mr. Senseman, thus causing the anoxic brain injury (complete lack of oxygen to the brain)," the coroner's office said Monday.

1 hour ago, thunderlounge said:

“Boa constrictor-type”.

Yeah, not at 18 feet in a home. One or the other is incorrect. Either not 18ft, or not a boa. At least not red tail. Not sure about others, but IIRC most boa types top at 15 or less. 

18 ft prob means it was a Reticulated Python. But even then, 18' means it weighed prob 200-250 lbs, maybe more. He'd have to have a big ass enclosure to keep it. Also, he probably had to feed it medium size farm animals to keep it from eating everyone in the house.

Plus a snek that big just wouldn't be constricting only the neck. It would be constricting the whole damn body and then eating it.

• 3 weeks later...