¡Snek!

Patricio Swayze

On 3/15/2023 at 5:52 PM, Biff Tannen said:

7-D7-E38-FA-2-AAD-42-B5-813-E-1-AC04-CFB

Grey sweatpants really are the perfect pant for snake people.  Snake guys just like ferret girls, or reptile girls, are so recognizable you can spot them easily at places like the grocery store.  It's not necessarily the grey sweatpants, but there is a look to certain types of pet people that makes them stand out.  Like Pit Bull people.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, PRONG HORN said:

Grey sweatpants really are the perfect pant for snake people.  Snake guys just like ferret girls, or reptile girls, are so recognizable you can spot them easily at places like the grocery store.  It's not necessarily the grey sweatpants, but there is a look to certain types of pet people that makes them stand out.  Like Pit Bull people.  

Ha, to be fair, that was during the last freeze and no power for 5 days.  But yes.

53 minutes ago, Ted Dantzler said:

Ran into this guy in NW KS last October while walking my mutts through CRP. The mutts didn't even notice it and I walked right by it before hearing the rattle.

At first I thought it was some horny grasshopper but it kept rattling so I turned around and found it.

51aba5f6b3b92c86f8aa272e6a03c1a6.jpg

ENHANCE

ec3dd96300ed3dbbc8af9827c205c264.jpg

That’s fuckin scary no matter how you slice it. Like a copperhead in the fall

• Hook 'Em 1

Doing a Florida python hunt is definitely on my bucket list. Sounds like a fucking blast

ETA: I basically live in the woods, and I don’t kill snakes just livin their life and doing their part for the ecosystem. I view those invasive pythons completely different.

Edited by SquishMitten
  • Hook 'Em 1

Doing a Florida python hunt is definitely on my bucket list. Sounds like a fucking blast
ETA: I basically live in the woods, and I don’t kill snakes just livin their life and doing their part for the ecosystem. I view those invasive pythons completely different.

I think they still have more or less open season on them like hogs in Texas. Absolutely need to be removed from the ecosystem.

On 3/16/2023 at 3:00 PM, JesusSweatDuck said:

I think the python thing started around the time of hurricane Andrew.  I'm sure dumbasses are also releasing also

Oldish, long, but in depth article on the snake thing. I'm sure its gotten much much worse in the intervening years.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2009/04/20/swamp-things

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/23/2023 at 6:12 PM, Homesickhorn said:

Little Homesick and I were up in Tin Top at my buddy's cabin that sits right on the Brazos.  We were there to dispatch pigs, but during the day, we decided to cast out down by his boat hangar.  Little Homesick headed back over to the tackle box to bait his hook, and said, "Whoah".  I turned to look and there was about a 4ft water snek right there on the sidewalk.  He took a look at both of us and then launched straight off of the bank (sidewalk) into the river, belly flopping, and then disappearing.

We decided to walk along the bank and see if we could find him, and find him we did. Right after he'd ingested Thanksgiving Day feast.

Clincher was, Little Homesick looked at me and said, "Dad, due to the fact that his dive off of the ledge was an easy 8.5-9, we should call him Sneg Louganis".  

Good kid, Little Homesick.

snek1.thumb.jpg.7a28c7a2813a7bb68e275aa01348f54f.jpg 

How old is Little Homesick that he knows who Greg Louganis was?

Well, there aren't any Indigos or Western Diamondbacks in the Houston area, but I saw a lot of snakes today...and got lucky again.

I lost count of how many Ribbon Snakes were out.  Swerved a few times to avoid hitting ones on the road.

8i6rxpvy o

In the same ditch were 4 nerodia...looked like most were plain bellied.  One caught a catfish and headed out of the water to eat it.  I only got a shot through the grass.  When I tried to get closer, it dropped the fish and got back to the water. 

7aahakwk o

After for fishing for a couple of hours, two of them got tired and headed to the showers.  Looking more like Diamondback watersnakes...or Blotched.  Easier just to say Nerodia.

Yuh1tkwv o

Then the pay off.  Another Speckled Kingsnake on the road.  Love these guys.  Besides a nice defense posturing and tail rattling, it was docile as most of them are...

Myuatsoh o

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

Snake, on a motherfucking plane!

No No No GIF

https://www.newsweek.com/deadly-snake-found-plane-hero-pilot-emergency-landing-1792657

About a third of the way through their journey, Erasmus felt something strange against his body. "We were cruising at 11,000 feet in the air when I felt something cold against my hip," Erasmus told local news outlet the Lowvelder.

At first, he said he thought it was his water bottle. "[But] as I turned to my left and looked down I saw the cobra putting its head back underneath my seat," he told TimesLive.

"I had a moment of stunned silence, not sure if I should tell the passengers because I didn't want to cause a panic. But obviously they needed to know at some point what was going on."

As calmly as he could, Erasmus told the passengers that there was an "unwelcome passenger" inside the aircraft and that he was going to have to make an emergency landing.

After a tense 10 to 15 minutes, Erasmus successfully landed the plane at the nearest airport, in Welkom. Carefully, the passengers disembarked, with Erasmus getting out last.

"I stood on the wing on the plane and moved the seat forward to try and spot the snake," Erasmus said. "It was curled up under my seat. It was quite a big fellow."

Local snake catcher Johan de Klerk was called to the scene, but by the time he arrived the snake had disappeared.

Johan de Klerk and engineers stripping the plane to search for the snake.

"We searched on Monday until dark," de Klerk told Newsweek. "On Tuesday morning we continued the search until Aircraft engineers arrived from Bloemfontein and stripped the inside completely, but we still could not find the snake. It must have gotten out during the night before the engineers started stripping."

The snake hasn't been confirmed as a Cape cobra, but two other pilots had spotted a Cape cobra slithering around near the plane on Sunday afternoon, before it took off from Worcester, News24 reported.

A photo of the plane before take off shows a snake slithering beneath the wheel. "The snake on the photo was identified as a Cape cobra so it is most probably the same snake yes," de Klerk said.

A snake, identified as a Cape cobra, slithering under the plane's wheel before it took off from Worcester. It is believed to be the same snake that was found in the cabin.

"The snake entered the plane through the wheel duct and then through the wing assembly until it came out in the cockpit."

Cape cobras are one of the deadliest snakes in South Africa, and one of the most venomous cobra species on the continent. "They have a potent neurotoxic venom that shuts down the nervous system and, if untreated, causes death," South African snake catcher Steve Meighan previously told Newsweek.

The incident comes amid a nationwide antivenom shortage in South Africa, which means the risk of complications from snake bites may be higher.

"The pilot, Rudolf Erasmus, is the hero of the story," de Klerk said. "The snake sailed up at his back and he was able to remain calm and perform an emergency landing in Welkom without getting bitten by the snake. He saved his four passengers lives through his own cool headedness."

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I don't think the rattler would have any problem killing and eventually swallowing that rabbit.  Was the snake dead?  Seemed to me like it was trying not to bring attention to itself because it was in such a vulnerable position.

This is my thinking too. Maybe he's playing dead since he can't defend himself. The neighbor thought he was dead. Either way pretty crazy encounter.