¡Snek!

Patricio Swayze

I need to get you out here. Mostly rattlesnakes but I bet you would find the coachwhips. I have seen several but they usually bolt super fast. This one lingered. I actually thought I was shooting a video and only after it took off, realized it was that one pic. Fml.

I’d be more excited about the rattlers. I got bit by a coachwhip a month ago. Little shit. This one might be the last I had in hand (2020). Found in Galveston in a water meter box. Actually found a couple like that.

458f705ed02f97a9d48350e590ed47ac.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Roadrunners are fun to have around and watch. 🤘

They are. She’s super friendly. Very curious. She will walk along side you. I almost thought she might have been or be someone’s pet. She only hides or gets on the roof of the house in the yard where her nest is if someone is walking a dog. Otherwise she comes out and checks out all the walkers. She will walk with you a couple of houses (not quite a block) and then turns back. Will try to get better pictures of her today. Maybe another snek. The neighborhood backs up to a green belt which backs up to a golf course so we have a lot of cool critters. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

I did try to get better pictures of this snek but it was fairly shy and fast moving. Kind of light colored underneath (like pale light green or whitish.) I couldn’t get a picture fast enough. It was five feet long. Figured it was a rat snek. It wasn’t interested in hanging out and getting photographed. I also encountered a roadrunner that lives in our neighborhood. She has a nest so she will be here a while. Very friendly. Comes out and kinda checks people out. I walk a lot for exercise so I saw both the snek and roadrunner today. Though I now see the roadrunner every day. Live in north Austin. 

IMG_6443.jpeg

Harmless plain-bellied water snake.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

They are. She’s super friendly. Very curious. She will walk along side you. I almost thought she might have been or be someone’s pet. She only hides or gets on the roof of the house in the yard where her nest is if someone is walking a dog. Otherwise she comes out and checks out all the walkers. She will walk with you a couple of houses (not quite a block) and then turns back. Will try to get better pictures of her today. Maybe another snek. The neighborhood backs up to a green belt which backs up to a golf course so we have a lot of cool critters. 

Now THAT is how you humblebrag, y'all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Headed out to snake road this morning and stopped at the flip spot to try and find these mythical mud snakes homesick told me about. Didn’t see any. Personally, I think he haas been doing too many of the shrooms we find out there.

But, I did find one of the largest ribbons I have seen. Then saw a plain bellied water snake and managed to cut my finger on the tin he was under. No notable sneks on the road. Did see a baby gator chilling in a ditch. I might go back tonight.

2cfee227e777a14df13be92f4b4b48f8.jpg

cf148e5f79864aef913fe58024fcebc1.jpg

9c9401e9f4757d43c548b15c22179a0a.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Headed out to snake road this morning and stopped at the flip spot to try and find these mythical mud snakes homesick told me about. Didn’t see any. Personally, I think he haas been doing too many of the shrooms we find out there.

But, I did find one of the largest ribbons I have seen. Then saw a plain bellied water snake and managed to cut my finger on the tin he was under. No notable sneks on the road. Did see a baby gator chilling in a ditch. I might go back tonight.

2cfee227e777a14df13be92f4b4b48f8.jpg

cf148e5f79864aef913fe58024fcebc1.jpg

9c9401e9f4757d43c548b15c22179a0a.jpg

Scrolled down w/o reading the text....thought you been snek'd in the finger. 

5 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Looks like a Great Plains Ratsnake maybe. Probably was exhausted and looking to climb up onto whatever it could.

I don't think they get that far west.  I'm going with Gophersnake.

As a kayaker, I do not paddle too close to snakes in the water for the reasons you suggest.

Yeah.  Why aren't you wearing your gloves when lifting metal?

I was being a dumbass. I usually have one glove on and the other without so I can easily work my camera. I was trying to do too much at once and it slipped out of my hand. Highly doubt I need tetanus shot. Cuts are usually not a concern. It’s more for punctures.

Yesterday ran into a few sneks including this cottonmouth.
2b9e24dec30c714d7094bdcbfdbffe1c.jpg

And this Dekay’s Brown. Also saw a mud snek, speckled king, and prairie king but couldn’t get a picture of the ladder.
550085e8c9280d4deaa75b011d6eb49a.jpg
And this little guy came out to see what the commotion was when I was looking for the speckled king.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2023 at 10:04 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

I’d be more excited about the rattlers. I got bit by a coachwhip a month ago. Little shit. This one might be the last I had in hand (2020). Found in Galveston in a water meter box. Actually found a couple like that.

458f705ed02f97a9d48350e590ed47ac.jpg

My dad was a city of Dallas meter reader for a couple of years when I was younger. I would ride with him in the summer between sports shit. He found so many damn snakes during those months it was wild but also scared the shit out of me /csb

Wife was putting stuff under the deck before the big rain hits us and says we have  a rat snake taking refuge under the mower deck. I’ll try and get a picture if I remember after the rain stops. @deadshank it’s raining like nobodies business in Strong City. Is Missus Shank there? Wife and I were there for the rodeo parade but left before it started because of the downpour. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Saw this guy a couple of weeks ago at work. Just cruising around with his lizard snack in the beak.

230c49a3c6b28c626a24f303b171b71b.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Wife was putting stuff under the deck before the big rain hits us and says we have  a rat snake taking refuge under the mower deck. I’ll try and get a picture if I remember after the rain stops. @deadshank it’s raining like nobodies business in Strong City. Is Missus Shank there? Wife and I were there for the rodeo parade but left before it started because of the downpour. 

Negatory.  She’s not doing Strong City this year.   She starts rodeoing week after next.  First stop is Evergreen, CO then off to Springdale, Arkansas.  Then Casper, WY to Nampa, ID then reverse skate to Mitchell, NE.  After that she’s IA, MO, IA, CO, MT, CO, TX.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, deadshank said:

Negatory.  She’s not doing Strong City this year.   She starts rodeoing week after next.  First stop is Evergreen, CO then off to Springdale, Arkansas.  Then Casper, WY to Nampa, ID then reverse skate to Mitchell, NE.  After that she’s IA, MO, IA, CO, MT, CO, TX.  

Any of that sounds better than SC,KS. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My folks have a family of them in their back yard in Kerrville. I called bullshit when mom mentioned it after I saw the first one about three years ago, but I’m here to tell you it’s real. Folks have about half an acre back yard, enclosed with about a five foot native stone wall, with drainage inlets at the bottom of the wall every ten feet or so. These birds have made their home in the backyard, and have gotten to the point where mom considers them pets. I’ll try and get some pics of them when I get there tonight. Awesome creatures.
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Walk along the green belts and dry creek beds. Rough green snakes like to hang out in small trees near the water. I might be down to give you a flip site, but via DM.

Sounds good. If you are planning to come to Austin, let me know ahead of time. Don't come in just to help him, though.

And thanks for the help.

Edited by Bevo