All Things Brisket

kevwun

1 hour ago, Flexhorns said:

I’ve done a couple dozen on my Traeger. 180 degrees for 12-15 hours then wrap it and put it in the oven at 195 for about 10 hours until internal of 200

Do you use a water pan in the smoker? Not sure how I can get one to fit.

I’ve done a couple dozen on my Traeger. 180 degrees for 12-15 hours then wrap it and put it in the oven at 195 for about 10 hours until internal of 200
I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

Has anyone tried brisket on a pellet grill?  Looking to learn from your mistakes if you have. 

I've had a Traeger for several years, after converting from an offset. I'm lazy, so sue me.  It's a;lso incredibly convenient if I want to do a smoke'reverse sear.

The statement that you can't get good smoke is incorrect;  you just have to know how to use it properly. The newer versions (which I plan to go to within the year) generate even more smoke.  Also, if you want to sear, the newer models get hotter.  You can also get sear plates that work pretty well.  

Never used the combined smoker/oven method, and never will.

Briskets come out like this:

imgur
imgur

7 hours ago, Don Hornleone said:

First time doing 2 briskets at once. They are both roughly 11lbs trimmed. Should I run it hotter, longer? I have a 18”x36” offset smoker. I usually run it at 225-235. Thx for the input.

At the same temp, it'll most likely take a bit longer than just one would.  If you'd like to run it hotter you certainly can, with no adverse effects, and then it would likely take less time than your normal cook.  Lately I've been running at 285 instead of my usual old 225 and it turns out great.  Guys like @ChampKind will run even hotter than that.

Just make sure you're probing them separately, and depending on temperature gradients within your pit, you might want to switch their positions at some point.

TPIWWP  but I re-heated a brisket I had smoked around New Year's yesterday.  It had been sitting in a deep freezer, still in the butcher paper in a foil pan.  I vacuum sealed the whole thing the night of the cook. After thawing in the fridge for a couple days, I removed the plastic and put the now deformed from the vacuum pan w/ brisket into a new foil pan and covered the top tightly with foil.  Four hours at 325F and 3-ish hour rest time in an insulated bag, then I opened it up and sliced it.  It turned out great.  Super moist and tender, and sliced like a dream.  Got rave reviews at the pool party we attended.  A second brisket is now in the fridge thawing.  I'll reheat that one overnight on Monday before packing away for the drive in to New Orleans to see some friends.  I'll be sure to get pictures of that one.

This was an important proof of concept for me.  With the big trailer rig we have at the work cook team, it feels wasteful to fire it up if you're not going to cook 5-6 briskets at a minimum.  This will allow me to do a couple more test smokes before the competition this year without feeling like I'm wasting wood.

Edited by hopkinsnhorns
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Been cooking my briskets to 210.  And they’ve turned out much better.  

Agree. I know that it is done when it is done, but I just can't suss it out when its wrapped in paper and need an objective target. Been running to 208-210 range and having the best results. 

Brisket friday before the wrap.  Sorry, no money shots.  Took one to cool for reheat today, other went to the freezer for Port A labor day. Pulled both in the upper range after 200.

1-D3083-F0-EBB6-4-A3-C-BD3-A-C1-F2670054

• Like 2

So what's the longest you can keep a cooked brisket in the fridge before reheating it?  I'm cooking a couple this Saturday and won't need 1 of them until the following Saturday.  I am vacuuming it and reheating via sous vide.  I am not sure if I should just freeze it to be safe or if it can stay in the fridge for the week.

10 hours ago, kevwun said:

So what's the longest you can keep a cooked brisket in the fridge before reheating it?  I'm cooking a couple this Saturday and won't need 1 of them until the following Saturday.  I am vacuuming it and reheating via sous vide.  I am not sure if I should just freeze it to be safe or if it can stay in the fridge for the week.

I would freeze it. 2, maybe 3 days, ok. A week? No thanks.

I go 2wks all the time.

4 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Snow's says their vacuum packed brisket will last in the refrigerator 7-10 days.

They have liability to worry about.  I think the official FDA site says something like 4 days. 

But in reality, smoking meats is one of the oldest form of preservative measures.  I've never had a problem going a couple of weeks.

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

This feels like a thumbs up from Chuck Norris. 

Haha he didn’t say it looks good.  He just said it has some bark.  It’s like saying “that woman has some tits.”  Is the “amazing” or “great looking” part implied?  Or just pointing out the obvious fact that all women have tits?  We may never know.

15 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Haha he didn’t say it looks good.  He just said it has some bark.  It’s like saying “that woman has some tits.”  Is the “amazing” or “great looking” part implied?  Or just pointing out the obvious fact that all women have tits?  We may never know.

giphy.gif

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Alternate response: Maybe you just don't know a great set of tits when you see them. nttiawwt. 

• Haha 1