All Things Brisket

kevwun

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

Tried not wrapping at all for the first time (normally wrap in the stall) and I may never wrap again. Bark was much better and a better smoke ring

D7C58863-1D18-4112-9185-67D37ABFAF1D.jpeg

225AB7E0-3494-439D-8746-90ACBBEF44AF.jpeg

2E4BB11B-3DC1-42EA-A539-5E46761ECA00.jpeg

Looks good.  Which wrap -- foil or butcher paper -- did you previously use to get through the stall?

29 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Looks good.  Which wrap -- foil or butcher paper -- did you previously use to get through the stall?

Always butcher paper, sometimes I sprayed the butcher paper in beef tallow before wrapping and typically wrapped around 165ish

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, DallasSooner said:

What are prime brisket prices in your area?  Went to Sam's in Dallas yesterday and they were $4.09 lb and all they had were 15 lbers.  Too steep for me. 

I get all my briskets from Costco in Clear Lake.  Prime is $3.59/pound when not on sale.  I've bought one as low as $2.49/pound from Costco last November.

Edited by pearlandhorn

I did work in Dec-January at the $2.59/lb prime prices at Costco.  Smoked (and sold) 25 briskets over that time to friends/family for super bowl.  

I invested in a vacuum sealer.  I would cook most ahead of time before super bowl, then vacuum seal their brisket (some whole and did others sliced).  Stored them in fridge or freezer depending on when they would pick up.  Even frozen they taste fuckin great after defrosted.  Just add to foil pan and cover...oven at 250-300 degs for hour or so to reheat.   I would save the au jus from the foil wrapping so they can add it when reheating.

I have a separate IG account @goodboyconcepts if ya want to follow (has pic of my dog on there as well).  Even sold/shipped some to friends of friends in NY and Florida.

Edited by utxmike05

18 minutes ago, DallasSooner said:

US Food Store in Dallas yesterday wanted $5.35 for prime.  Insanity. 

Pre-pandemic the grocery store wanted $4.85/lb for select. 

Sam’s was $2.79/lb for prime. Just that difference covers the sam’s memebership. 

Not sure what they are right now. I stocked up on a sale and still have 3 in the deep freeze. 

I did work in Dec-January at the $2.59/lb prime prices at Costco.  Smoked (and sold) 25 briskets over that time to friends/family for super bowl.  
I invested in a vacuum sealer.  I would cook most ahead of time before super bowl, then vacuum seal their brisket (some whole and did others sliced).  Stored them in fridge or freezer depending on when they would pick up.  Even frozen they taste fuckin great after defrosted.  Just add to foil pan and cover...oven at 250-300 degs for hour or so to reheat.   I would save the au jus from the foil wrapping so they can add it when reheating.
I have a separate IG account @goodboyconcepts if ya want to follow (has pic of my dog on there as well).  Even sold/shipped some to friends of friends in NY and Florida.

Does that do better than a sous vide reheat?

42 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Does that do better than a sous vide reheat?

I do have an Anovo sous vide...haven't tried it yet with brisket reheat.  I have read that it works great though.  Just may take long...and not sure my container is big enough for whole brisket.

Franklin has a video for reheat of whole in oven...he doesn't cover it, and uses butter.  I cover...use the au jus instead.   

And video for sous vide.

Most people I sold to preferred that I pre-slice it and seal.  Not everyone knows how to slice up the whole.  Did the same thing, add slices in pan covered w juices...into oven. 

Hear some people use slow cooker to reheat also if it just a small amount.

Edited by utxmike05
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, utxmike05 said:

I do have an Anovo sous vide...haven't tried it yet with brisket reheat.  I have read that it works great though.  Just may take long...and not sure my container is big enough for whole brisket.

We have a big plastic container with a notch cut out of the lid for sous vide, and have reheated vacuum sealed/frozen brisket in it before.  Works very well.  Bark gets a little soft heating in the bag, but a few minutes in a warm oven after that would probably firm it back up in short order  We also make brisket slice packets, which we freeze.  Toss the bag of slices into simmering water for about 10 minutes and you're good to go.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, utxmike05 said:

Franklin has a video for reheat of whole in oven...he doesn't cover it, and uses butter.  I cover...use the au jus instead.   

And video for sous vide.

Most people I sold to preferred that I pre-slice it and seal.  Not everyone knows how to slice up the whole.  Did the same thing, add slices in pan covered w juices...into oven. 

Hear some people use slow cooker to reheat also if it just a small amount.

Damn.  Aaron went Portlandia with the hair

• Haha 2

A few questions about holding in the cambro. Do you go straight from the pit to cambro? Wrap in foil when you put it in the cambro? Let it vent some heat? 
Like thunder said above, got to let it stop the cooking process. Usually let it drop to 190 and then wrap it up and put into the cambro. It stayed there for 6 hours before taking out and slicing.
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 2/25/2021 at 5:06 PM, dcbc said:

No, they aren't cheap.  I think they are running briskets separate from everything else, definitely separate from the ribs which are on that big rotisserie smoker. 

This video where the guy from Bon Appetite does a 24 hour shift at Franklin gives a little bit of a window into how they are timing the cooks.  Briskets went on at 10 a.m.  Apple cider vinegar is mentioned as being in the spray bottles.  Looks like they're using a mustard binder on the ribs, etc. 

But most of the magic of his brisket is quality of product and process.  Whether he adds some garlic powder to his rub, uses one binder vs. another, or uses Worcestershire or ACV in the spritz isn't a difference making decision IMO.

This guy tries to be data driven to replicate the procedures and processes for consistently great BBQ. He is convinced Franklin lathers his briskets with beef tallow at the point when he wraps them (at the stall? I haven’t kept up on Franklin method). He did a head to head and said the tallow rubbed brisket was moist AF and extra delicious. Anyone try something like this?

I would think that if that is part of his process, word would have gotten out via ex-employees. Not that someone would go shouting it from the rooftops, but just info going from one person to the next.
The video does have some interesting points and it could be the difference maker.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

This guy tries to be data driven to replicate the procedures and processes for consistently great BBQ. He is convinced Franklin lathers his briskets with beef tallow at the point when he wraps them (at the stall? I haven’t kept up on Franklin method). He did a head to head and said the tallow rubbed brisket was moist AF and extra delicious. Anyone try something like this?

I watched it and recall his theory being that he unwrapped the brisket at the end of the cook and added the tallow before the hold. 

Personally, I don't think he uses beef tallow for the briskets other than soaking the butcher paper in it to start the initial fire.  I've cooked plenty of briskets where the butcher paper was plenty soaked by the time I was ready to slice, and it wasn't from anything other than rendering the fat that still was attached to the brisket. 

Want to cook a brisket like Aaron Franklin?  Get the best prime brisket you can, don't overdo the rub, whatever that rub might be, start spritzing the meat after the 3 hour mark about every hour to help the bark stand up a bit, be extremely consistent with your cooks, definitely hold the brisket in some sort of cambro for several hours, slice it just right, and do this every day for years.  Or every week for that matter.  Just do it a lot.

Quality of product and consistency of cooking techniques while accounting for variables like meat, wood, and weather are far more important than the little stuff.

• Like 3

I originally came across that goofy guy's youtube when looking for methods to reheat.  He did a tutorial on Franklin's brisket he ordered shipped.

On 5/9/2021 at 12:30 AM, NateHitch said:

Needs more pepper

#1 thing I tell friends who want that color and bark...mo peppa!.  I use closer to 60% pepper / 40% salt.  Especially on the fat cap side.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, utxmike05 said:

I originally came across that goofy guy's youtube when looking for methods to reheat.  He did a tutorial on Franklin's brisket he ordered shipped.

#1 thing I tell friends who want that color and bark...mo peppa!.  I use closer to 60% pepper / 40% salt.  Especially on the fat cap side.

I use paprika as a carrier for the salt n peppa to get really dark, dense, crusty bark.  It doesn't alter the flavor but produces more crusty awesomeness.  You could also use ancho powder, which acts about the same, or chipotle powder, which introduces a little heat.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, utee94 said:

I use paprika as a carrier for the salt n peppa to get really dark, dense, crusty bark.  It doesn't alter the flavor but produces more crusty awesomeness.  You could also use ancho powder, which acts about the same, or chipotle powder, which introduces a little heat.

Will have to try that some time.

I occasionally mix in cayenne pepper but it’s hit I miss if you taste it when done. 

13 hours ago, utxmike05 said:

Will have to try that some time.

I occasionally mix in cayenne pepper but it’s hit I miss if you taste it when done. 

I do as well.  If I get it right, there's a subtle heat, but nothing you really can put your finger on. 

On 5/15/2021 at 7:57 AM, Party_Taco said:

Dc, where did the foil come in for you? Was that for storage or part of your process?

I’ve seen a lot of people use foil as a substitute for butchers paper, but don’t often seen both.

I used the foil to wrap it up before I tossed it in the cooler for the hold, just to avoid the mess.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Beef ribs...
Imperfect setup on the grill, but it turned out very great

used only one burner on low and a wood chip tube for smoke 

6 hours to 203 degrees

spritzed with beef broth and apple cider vinegar

wrapped in pink butcher paper and in the cooler for an hour

314935DB-B929-4992-BFC2-16F757C55BCD.jpeg

279DD7C6-B2D1-4D3A-9660-3FB2A4267088.jpeg

1F9A5DBE-5976-4F9B-A145-9136F6E01EC3.jpeg

98915C6A-443F-48EE-A8FB-284B7C47923C.jpeg

532C120B-9C08-44E5-BB3B-DB44629FACDE.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Been reading through this thread but could use some help with the basics since I have never done a brisket before (only done beef ribs).  I have a 3.3 pound point cut since I am only cooking for 3 people and was just going to do salt and pepper and smoke it.  When I do beef ribs I rub them in Louisiana Hot sauce and then do the salt and pepper and smoke at 225 until they reach 204 degrees (learned that recipe from Aaron Franklin) but not sure if I should do the same with a brisket.  I could use some basic tips like what temp (225?) and how long will a small cut like that take?  What temp do I need to get it to before I pull it?  Do I need to do the whole “resting” thing?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Oh, and I will add the liquid smoke and French dressing before serving so I got that covered.

4 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Been reading through this thread but could use some help with the basics since I have never done a brisket before (only done beef ribs).  I have a 3.3 pound point cut since I am only cooking for 3 people and was just going to do salt and pepper and smoke it.  When I do beef ribs I rub them in Louisiana Hot sauce and then do the salt and pepper and smoke at 225 until they reach 204 degrees (learned that recipe from Aaron Franklin) but not sure if I should do the same with a brisket.  I could use some basic tips like what temp (225?) and how long will a small cut like that take?  What temp do I need to get it to before I pull it?  Do I need to do the whole “resting” thing?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Oh, and I will add the liquid smoke and French dressing before serving so I got that covered.

You can use anything you like as a binder.  Hot sauce, woosty, mustard, olive oil, mustard and pickle juice, mustard, olive oil, and pickle juice (surprisingly good, apple cider vinegar, whatever.  You can cook at 225F or go higher.  My WSM likes to cook at 238F, so that's what I do.  Once I wrap it (somewhere north of 165 usually, I will bump the temperature, and coo until done, usually somewhere north of 205F.  If I don't wrap, it tends to probe done at closer to 200F.  Just depends on the cook and the brisket.

It seems like just the point should take a lot less time, but for some reasons, it usually doesn't.

13 minutes ago, dcbc said:

You can use anything you like as a binder.  Hot sauce, woosty, mustard, olive oil, mustard and pickle juice, mustard, olive oil, and pickle juice (surprisingly good, apple cider vinegar, whatever.  You can cook at 225F or go higher.  My WSM likes to cook at 238F, so that's what I do.  Once I wrap it (somewhere north of 165 usually, I will bump the temperature, and coo until done, usually somewhere north of 205F.  If I don't wrap, it tends to probe done at closer to 200F.  Just depends on the cook and the brisket.

It seems like just the point should take a lot less time, but for some reasons, it usually doesn't.

Thanks for the response but not sure I totally follow.  Let’s say I do it at 225F are you saying once it hits 165 you wrap it in something and leave it on the smoker?  When I do beef ribs I don’t wrap them and just leave them on at 225F until they hit 204 degrees which takes around 7-8 hours usually.  Once again, new to brisket so not sure how you do the whole wrap thing.

9 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Thanks for the response but not sure I totally follow.  Let’s say I do it at 225F are you saying once it hits 165 you wrap it in something and leave it on the smoker?  When I do beef ribs I don’t wrap them and just leave them on at 225F until they hit 204 degrees which takes around 7-8 hours usually.  Once again, new to brisket so not sure how you do the whole wrap thing.

The brisket temp to wrap varies with everyone.  But high 150s to 160s is also when I wrap in foil, because that is usually when the brisket stalls.  Wrapping helps get through that stall faster, hence why you can heat up the pit more after brisket is wrapped up.  But I also take into consideration the color of the brisket bark before I wrap...has to have good smoke and bark before I wrap.

Honestly, lately I have been finishing briskets in the oven after I wrap them.  No point in wasting wood and time outside if your brisket is wrapped. I leave it wrapped on the grill until the fire gets too low...transfer to oven at 225-275 degs, instead of adding fuel to the pit.

19 minutes ago, utxmike05 said:

The brisket temp to wrap varies with everyone.  But high 150s to 160s is also when I wrap in foil, because that is usually when the brisket stalls.  Wrapping helps get through that stall faster, hence why you can heat up the pit more after brisket is wrapped up.  But I also take into consideration the color of the brisket bark before I wrap...has to have good smoke and bark before I wrap.

Honestly, lately I have been finishing briskets in the oven after I wrap them.  No point in wasting wood and time outside if your brisket is wrapped. I leave it wrapped on the grill until the fire gets too low...transfer to oven at 225-275 degs, instead of adding fuel to the pit.

When wrapped does the bark stay a good consistency or does it get "mushy"?  Also, any idea how long a 3.3 pound point cut will take?  I just read to figure on an hour and 15 minutes per pound.  Just trying to time the cook for dinner.

12 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

When wrapped does the bark stay a good consistency or does it get "mushy"?  Also, any idea how long a 3.3 pound point cut will take?  I just read to figure on an hour and 15 minutes per pound.  Just trying to time the cook for dinner.

That's a good rule of thumb for cook duration, just depends on the brisket and pit temp.  I use that also for estimating when to start cooking.

Bark isn't ever mushy when I do it with foil.  Just wrap the foil tightly to not allow it to steam inside.

But yes you will get "crispier" bark if you don't wrap.  Or if you use pink butcher paper to wrap, you will maintain some crisp bark as well. That is what most restaurants do. 

I have just always used foil because I add a liquid during the wrap...and foil holds it all in better than the paper.