All Things Brisket

kevwun

Just now, dcbc said:

What pit?  What does your pit get to with the vents wide open?

I use a 22" WSM these days. After wrapping I go wide open until I get to 290ish, opening the door if I have to, then hold it there. But even back in the stick days I'd throw an extra log/extra shovel of coals and go wide open on the firebox vent until it felt right. 

3 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I use a 22" WSM these days. After wrapping I go wide open until I get to 290ish, opening the door if I have to, then hold it there. But even back in the stick days I'd throw an extra log/extra shovel of coals and go wide open on the firebox vent until it felt right. 

Does this cut down your total cooking time?  If so, by how much?

4 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Okay.  Me too.   If it's holding at 190, I'm assuming you've got water or something else in the pan, correct?

I push mine a little bit once it's wrapped, but I've had better luck keeping it below 260F at that point. 

Edited by dcbc

4 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Okay.  Me too.   If it's holding at 190, I'm assuming you've got water or something else in the pan, correct?

Have my pan filled with sand and covered in thick foil. Can take a lot to get up to 290, just depends on the conditions I guess. A temp controller fan would probably help. I just go wide open and leave the door open to get the fire hot. Shut the door, see how much it rises. Repeat. 

Can also get it hot just leaving the lid completely off a few minutes. 

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Have my pan filled with sand and covered in thick foil. Can take a lot to get up to 290, just depends on the conditions I guess. A temp controller fan would probably help. I just go wide open and leave the door open to get the fire hot. Shut the door, see how much it rises. Repeat. 

Can also get it hot just leaving the lid completely off a few minutes. 

Cool.  I have two nested clay pot bases in mine (foiled).  So probably similar.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Probably a lot easier to assemble that way. Heavy lifting the body onto the bottom with all of that sand

I'd just take the bowl out to foil it and set it in there after the body's on in that case.  It's noticeably heavier with the clay bases, but not unmanageable.  Gets me thinking about adding handles sometimes though.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/1/2021 at 1:11 PM, UncleBuck said:

Shit, I’m over 305F for the entire cook on my WSM

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Man, I just can't bring myself to do an entire hot and fast cook on a brisket. Takes some balls!

I was 225 for decades.  Now I go 285-300 and I'll never go back.  No change in quality, and much quicker.  I can start a 13-lber in the morning and easily be ready for dinner by 6 or 7.

Edit: I should probably specify this is on an offset stick-burner, just for the record...

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Since I am relatively new to the game. At what temperature do I pull the point to slice into burnt ends? How long do they go back in once sliced? They are for dinner tonight so gonna hold in a cooler until closer to dinner time.  At 187 now after 5.5 hours.

Since I am relatively new to the game. At what temperature do I pull the point to slice into burnt ends? How long do they go back in once sliced? They are for dinner tonight so gonna hold in a cooler until closer to dinner time.  At 187 now after 5.5 hours.
You should go by feel. When poking the point with a thermometer it should slide in with absolutely NO resistance. Temp will probably be around 200.
You take it out, cube it into 1" squares, place in pan with bbq sauce, stir and place back into the smoker for about 30 minutes. Enough for the sauce to set and the exposed sides where you cut to firm up.
Then go place in a cooler.
I've never put it in a cooler and then make it into burnt ends later.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Slices were a little dry due to no point.  Burnt ends were on point.
20210804_191510.thumb.jpg.3cbf89ed77b64799dc39bab63770e4e7.jpg20210804_192208.thumb.jpg.d66e0506ef5e2b8d99c9bc5719258e23.jpg
Looks good. Just so you know, you don't have to cook them separately when you want to make burnt ends. Cook the full packer and when the flat is done, separate the point from it. If I'm going that route, I will usually trim the fat between the two before smoking so it is easier to handle and come apart when it is hot.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Both Tacos said:
23 hours ago, CoachTex said:
Slices were a little dry due to no point.  Burnt ends were on point.
20210804_191510.thumb.jpg.3cbf89ed77b64799dc39bab63770e4e7.jpg20210804_192208.thumb.jpg.d66e0506ef5e2b8d99c9bc5719258e23.jpg

Looks good. Just so you know, you don't have to cook them separately when you want to make burnt ends. Cook the full packer and when the flat is done, separate the point from it. If I'm going that route, I will usually trim the fat between the two before smoking so it is easier to handle and come apart when it is hot.

Yeah I thought of that as I was cutting up the flat.

Can’t read through all of this, but have a brisket that’s been on the smoker for about 14 hours.  Internal temp of 175.  When to pull it?  Wrap immediately or wait and then wrap?  If I put it in a good cooler, how long can I rest it, as dinner is still 7 hours away?

15 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Can’t read through all of this, but have a brisket that’s been on the smoker for about 14 hours.  Internal temp of 175.  When to pull it?  Wrap immediately or wait and then wrap?  If I put it in a good cooler, how long can I rest it, as dinner is still 7 hours away?

Keep going til you hit about 202-204, needs to probe like butter. When it is done you can keep it in a cooler, maybe wrapped in a towel, for as long as you need. 

you may try wrapping it in butcher paper or foil to help it get through the stall faster. 

Edited by Etexhorn13
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Keep going til you hit about 202-204, needs to probe like butter. When it is done you can keep it in a cooler, maybe wrapped in a towel, for as long as you need. 

you may try wrapping it in butcher paper or foil to help it get through the stall faster. 

I think it’s through the stall.  200+ seems pretty high.  I was thinking like 185-190?

14 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I think it’s through the stall.  200+ seems pretty high.  I was thinking like 185-190?

Nope, at least 200 to get it to probe like butter.  You can wrap in foil to get through the stall, but it might impact the bark.

What temp is your pit and how big is this thing?  14 hrs isn't excessive, but close.

• Hook 'Em 1

Couldn’t tell you the last time I had one pull sub-200. Def keep going till true butter probe. Prob 202-206.

If you’re going to pull and hold it, remember to rest it unwrapped on counter 1 hour before slicing to eat. Holding is not resting.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Lurch said:

Couldn’t tell you the last time I had one pull sub-200. Def keep going till true butter probe. Prob 202-206.

If you’re going to pull and hold it, remember to rest it unwrapped on counter 1 hour before slicing to eat. Holding is not resting.

So wrap immediately, throw it in a cooler, than pull it from the cool and let it rest unwrapped for an hour?

People that pull at 180-195 often think their brisket is tough and dry because it's overcooked.

It's counter-intuitive but it's actually undercooked.

Like Lurch, I can't tell you the last time I had a brisket that was finished, under 200.  It's happened in the past and I always go by feel, but these days I don't even bother starting to probe until it's 199, and usually 203-205 is when it's right.

So wrap immediately, throw it in a cooler, than pull it from the cool and let it rest unwrapped for an hour?

1. Wait until it’s done
2. Wrap in foil, then a towel, then throw that into cooler
3. 60-90 mins before eating, take it out and fully unwrap it. Let it sit on counter.
4. After 60-90 you can slice
  • Hook 'Em 3

Shit, I need someone (or someoneS) to come over & help me work this smoker rig of mine & figure it out.  I do ribs well enough, but for briskets I seem to have a blind spot.

I'll provide the meat, some beers, radio, constant shade & a fan - you bring the thermometer of your choice.  Who wants to hang?

57 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

Shit, I need someone (or someoneS) to come over & help me work this smoker rig of mine & figure it out.  I do ribs well enough, but for briskets I seem to have a blind spot.

I'll provide the meat, some beers, radio, constant shade & a fan - you bring the thermometer of your choice.  Who wants to hang?

Define "some beers." 

Also, what kind of cooker are we talking?

• Hook 'Em 1

If you are going to keep it wrapped and stored in a cooler for an hour or two post-smoke shouldn’t you let it come down to around 160-170 degrees first? I have wrapped it in paper and towels right after taking it off the smoker (at around 204 or so) and put it in a cooler and it kept cooking.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

Prob. (1) 18 caser per person oughta get it done, depends on how many show & what your motor oil of choice is
7fbb528290fd69e7cd0af780fb21254f.jpgc68b29cfcbf4673f9a8ab1d6d8e36c3b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Had my fingers crossed for a WSM, but that looks like real work.