All Things Brisket

kevwun

20 hours ago, utee94 said:

I'm headed to a McLaren event on Wednesday, anything you want me to pass along to Zak Brown while I'm there? :)

Can they just go ahead and make this the permanent livery? Please? Pretty please? Because daymn.... that livery is pretty.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 9/24/2022 at 7:29 AM, dcbc said:

Cross posted from WSM thread. I'm pretty pleased with how this turned out. Strayed from my usual methods and may have landed on new methods.

I used the John Lewis rub with Lawry's and SPG (ratio: 3/3/8/1) but added a little cayenne (1/3 pt) and still am firmly team "no binder."  I also rendered the better part of the trimmings on the stove (thought doing it on the smoker was a little too smokey last time), and put little pats of tallow on the brisket when I pulled it to rest.  I resisted when it was a Franklin rumor, but Goldee's was doing it in that video; who am I to refuse. Sliced it up after a 2 hour rest.

225F until I wrapped at 165. Then 250--260 until done (pulled at 205).

be73db38b3f35e9d7d123c48c127f1a2.jpg159c69a554f69412200062026f7e3a77.jpg32586e096a0894b17419ab010c9fced8.jpg2d8d0e47dba9946b0d53099630acf523.jpg

What changed your mind on the Lawry’s? Also, the great thing about tallow is that I rendered it from one brisket and I’ve been able to store and use it for several since then, although I’ve been doing it when I wrap. So worth the minimal effort it takes to do it once. 

1 hour ago, Etexhorn13 said:

What changed your mind on the Lawry’s? Also, the great thing about tallow is that I rendered it from one brisket and I’ve been able to store and use it for several since then, although I’ve been doing it when I wrap. So worth the minimal effort it takes to do it once. 

For the Lawry's, I used more of it that I did the last time (previously just subbed one of the parts of salt with it.  This time, I subbed half of the salt with it).  On the tallow, since I use paper, I feel like I loose plenty of rendered fat through the bottom.  So I waited for the rest and just plopped a bunch of it on top after I'd opened up the paper.  If I were to hold it afterward, I would use foil and would be able to keep it all in there.

Edited by dcbc

6 minutes ago, Don Hornleone said:

Can a brisket have 2 stall periods? I’ve got one on the pit right now, started it at 530am, it climbed fast and it’s been sitting around 150 for about 45 minutes. Fire has remained intact between 225 and 235. Typically for me the stall starts at 165. Cooler weather have anything to do with it?

Some just stall earlier than others.  150 seems a little low but I've seen it at 157 or so, pretty frequently.  Like you, for me somewhere around 165 is the most common temp for the beginning of the stall, but every brisket is different.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well hell ...

So, the resident Yankees from down the street want to do a brisket (as an addition to Turkey) on Thanksgiving. It seems that their family from up north will be here in Dallas.

So, to test things out beforehand, they bought two separate, 2 pound flats from Market City. (Yes, I know, I know). She made one, slow cooked it in her crock pot. If you like pot roast, it's passable.

Now, I have a small off-set smoker. I'm thinking a simple rub (salt and pepper); Hickory wood. Get temp around 250.

Since the thing is so small, I'm thinking of just leaving it on until an internal temp of 195 is hit, pull and then rest for about an hour.

Any other suggestions from you gurus?

3 hours ago, Lidig8r said:

Well hell ...

So, the resident Yankees from down the street want to do a brisket (as an addition to Turkey) on Thanksgiving. It seems that their family from up north will be here in Dallas.

So, to test things out beforehand, they bought two separate, 2 pound flats from Market City. (Yes, I know, I know). She made one, slow cooked it in her crock pot. If you like pot roast, it's passable.

Now, I have a small off-set smoker. I'm thinking a simple rub (salt and pepper); Hickory wood. Get temp around 250.

Since the thing is so small, I'm thinking of just leaving it on until an internal temp of 195 is hit, pull and then rest for about an hour.

Get the internal temp to over 200, Franklin says 203, but 205 works too. Wrap it in foil at about 170 once you pass "the stall."

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Lidig8r said:

Well hell ...

I'm going to guess the flat has been completely trimmed of all fat.  Either way, get some beef tallow and add it before wrapping.  I would probably wrap at the stall as opposed to waiting until the rest.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Best advice I can give: learn how to cook a brisket. Cause that ain’t it. 

I have only done whole briskets. This has had most of the fan trimmed off of it, is very lean. With it only being the flat was curious about whether the stall would be the same.

As for "cooking the brisket," isn't the correct term of art, "smoking the brisket?"

I do appreciate the Surlyite response though.

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Get the internal temp to over 200, Franklin says 203, but 205 works too. Wrap it in foil at about 170 once you pass "the stall."

He's talking about doing just a very small 2-lb flat, not a full packer.  There won't be a stall because there's minimal connective tissue remaining.

Doing just a flat is hard,I don't ever bother.  

12 minutes ago, Lidig8r said:

I have only done whole briskets. This has had most of the fan trimmed off of it, is very lean. With it only being the flat was curious about whether the stall would be the same.

As for "cooking the brisket," isn't the correct term of art, "smoking the brisket?"

No it's not the same at all.  You're right, no stall.  Cooking a small 2-lb flat is pretty tricky.  This cut it typically braised not BBQ'd.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 11/21/2022 at 2:37 PM, utee94 said:

He's talking about doing just a very small 2-lb flat, not a full packer.  There won't be a stall because there's minimal connective tissue remaining.

Doing just a flat is hard,I don't ever bother.  

No it's not the same at all.  You're right, no stall.  Cooking a small 2-lb flat is pretty tricky.  This cut it typically braised not BBQ'd.

Never cooked just the flat and didn't notice that part of his post. I might try this sometime for some quick brisket.

On 11/21/2022 at 2:24 PM, Lidig8r said:

Well . . . ?

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Well . . . ?

Thank you for the advice on the tallow and wrapping at the stall. I did both.

I was a mohron and did not take pics.

Kept the smoker between 225 and 250.

Wrapped when the thermometer hit 150. It hit 200 after about 6 hours, pulled it and let it sit for an hour.

Ok smoke ring. Pretty moist.

It would not come close to passing the Surlyite Seal of Approval. But, for Yankees and brisket novices, they thought it was pretty damned good.

Surly would rate it perhaps a 5. They thought it was a 9.

God willing and the creek don't rise, I won't have to try to smoke just a flat ever again.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Posted details in the winter brisket thread but tried the foil boat method for the first time starting on the WSM for 6 hours and oven overnight.

one of the best briskets I’ve done (most tender with crispiest bark).

lighting was weird on the money shot and doesn’t do it justice, but will be going foil boat again.

7624C8A0-F3B6-4BA7-95FD-61CB37D10CA8.jpeg

2BC4D32A-F826-481D-9884-793F606458BE.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Don't know how many people are near a Market Street. But the one in Allen has brisket @ .97 lb with your rewards card. You have to download the coupon ahead of time, but I picked up on for $8 and one for $9.

A friend in Colleyville actually sent me their flier, to taunt me.  That's got to be the lowest brisket price I've seen in 3,4, maybe 5 years?  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/1/2022 at 10:11 PM, Sam Lin said:

Brisket and other cuts high in connective tissue (shank, chuck, pork shoulder/butt, chicken dark meat, etc) cook differently than "lean" meats that don't contain connective tissue.

If no connective tissue, then your statement above is correct; "moist" meat is largely based on water content of the meat, and if you keep cooking, it just loses moisture, and gets dry and overcooked. You will never be able to do a 6hr cook on a lean cut like a filet or a pork tenderloin, those are zero connective tissue and the cook is all about managing water content. Cook out the water and they are dry as fuck. Internal temp is of utmost importance here.

Connective tissue breaks down into gelatin after some time and temperature. What is happening in a brisket is first you cook off the water (hence the stall), but then you keep cooking to break down the connective tissue into gelatin. A "moist" piece of brisket is largely gelatin. If you undercook a brisket, you have cooked off all the water, but you have not converted connective tissue to gelatin, resulting in a totally dry piece of meat that is also chewy as fuck. As you continue to cook, the chewiness decreases because the chewy connective tissue is converting into gelatin, which is also increasing the "moist" feeling of the meat.

For low and slow, internal temp is completely irrelevant, as different animals and cuts have differing amounts of connective tissue. Hence the probe test. It's done when it's done.

What do you typically probe with?