All Things Brisket

kevwun

23 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Tune in later for “can you cram a 18 lb brisket on a large Big Green Egg” with your host, Buzzrock

I’m sure it’s been mentioned many times but wrap an empty beer can in foil and put it under the brisket.  It will fit.  After it shrinks in a few hours it will easily fit without the can. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m sure it’s been mentioned many times but wrap an empty beer can in foil and put it under the brisket.  It will fit.  After it shrinks in a few hours it will easily fit without the can. 

I draped it over a v-rack I have and it fit.

Not my finest effort. It cooked very fast for an 18 lb cut. It was done in about 9 hours so I had to hold it in the oven for a long time and the flat got try and the bark got too chewy. Tasted good though.

I’m definitely out of practice.

5c567c67a10977130d00ac3add7d4356.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Lurch said:

I fucked it up by forgetting the water pan in the oven. Mostly dry as fuck after overnight oven hold, but salvageable. Will have to try again

Interesting.  I've done an overnight hold on several occasions and never included a water pan.  What temp was your oven set at?

Interesting.  I've done an overnight hold on several occasions and never included a water pan.  What temp was your oven set at?

170* was as low as I could get it, even with a reprogram. I think a water pan on top rack would give me a bit more protection as well as humidity

2 hours ago, Lurch said:

170* was as low as I could get it, even with a reprogram. I think a water pan on top rack would give me a bit more protection as well as humidity

On my old oven, 170F was the low setting, but a thermometer showed it cycling between 170 and 220 (that's with a brisket in there).  My new oven has a warm setting that is rock solid at 140F.  But even then, I usually opt for a preheated cooler.  Overnight can be tough though.

Edited by dcbc

2 hours ago, Lurch said:

That is low as mine will go.  I’ve never tried to reprogram.  Also never tested to see where it actually is on temp.

18 hours ago, Lurch said:

How long were you trying to hold it?  When finished I have double wrapped in foil and held in a cooler (yeti) with towels for 6 hours and it was still hot.  I unwrapped and had to let it cool a lil before slicing.  I used to cook them in Katy, store like this, and drive to Austin for tailgates.

Also I have let it cool completely, then wrap back up and store in fridge.  Reheat whole later in foil at 250 for hour or so until warm.

Those options above have saved me the stress I used to have of trying to time it right for when I will serve it.

Edited by utxmike05

I was trying to hold 15 hours.  9pm to Noon.  Given how dry it was, I’d guess that was at least 5 hours too long for those conditions

there is a tenderness benefit from the hold method that I’d assume your refrigerator/reheat doesn’t achieve

1 hour ago, Lurch said:

I was trying to hold 15 hours.  9pm to Noon.  Given how dry it was, I’d guess that was at least 5 hours too long for those conditions

there is a tenderness benefit from the hold method that I’d assume your refrigerator/reheat doesn’t achieve

Gotcha.  But you'd be surprised on tenderness of reheating later. Try it next time.  I have reheated some frozen brisket and it tastes and feels like it came off the smoker. It's pretty resilient...not like reheating chicken.   I have shipped some vacuum sealed on dry ice to NY and friend says it was still great.

Franklin ships his vacuum sealed with same reheat instructions and looked great in videos. 

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

I used to be Team wrap in butcher paper shortly before coming out of the stall. on the smoker the entire way.

I’ve now signed on with Team Foil Boat,  Oven finish so I can sleep.

Put on smoker at 5pm Saturday (18 lb, trimmed down to 13 lb). Smoked until ~11. Boat time in the oven at 225 (runs at about 215 actual) with small water pan. Sleep for ~8 hours. Done at ~7am.

rest in cooler for 2 hours.

back in oven at 170 (runs closer to 160) until served at 5pm Sunday.

8CB508C4-18F1-4461-B582-1D39D356A176.thumb.jpeg.24af99ad5a8946d9c5aa71d07a259c6f.jpeg

Welcome aboard the foil + oven closer.

This is the way.

• Hook 'Em 5

Cooked this one last weekend in Oklahoma.   Was a 12 lb prime from Sams.  Put it on about 9 that morning, pulled and wrapped it about 7 that evening and put it in the oven until it hit 200 degrees.  Turned oven off for an hour then set it to it's lowest setting 170 over night.  Have tried the warm setting on our oven but after about 3.5 hours it will beep a few times and then turn off.  I guess it will only "warm" for so long.  I don't use a water pan in the oven. 

thumbnail_image2.jpg

thumbnail_image0 (2).jpg

thumbnail_image1 (2).jpg

• Hook 'Em 4

25 minutes ago, DallasSooner said:

Cooked this one last weekend in Oklahoma.   Was a 12 lb prime from Sams.  Put it on about 9 that morning, pulled and wrapped it about 7 that evening and put it in the oven until it hit 200 degrees.  Turned oven off for an hour then set it to it's lowest setting 170 over night.  Have tried the warm setting on our oven but after about 3.5 hours it will beep a few times and then turn off.  I guess it will only "warm" for so long.  I don't use a water pan in the oven. 

thumbnail_image2.jpg

thumbnail_image0 (2).jpg

thumbnail_image1 (2).jpg

Very nice.  Probably in the Top 10 of briskets from Oklahoma.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Very nice.  Probably in the Top 10 of briskets from Oklahoma.

True if I order brisket in Oklahoma it needs to be chopped and sauced.   That's why so many menus back in the day just said "BBQ Beef" as an option.  Sliced brisket is not a thing in Oklahoma. 

14 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Ok boys. Finish in the oven on the lowest temp overnight. Mine is 170. Do I wrap it in foil when I put it in the oven, butcher paper, or foil boat?

I've seen Chuds pour tallow over it before the oven. Anyone do that?

Thanks

i foil boat it, then put the whole foil boat on a sheet pan with a rack in it in the oven.

i've also been known to take a few scoops of tallow and put it on the top when i stick it in the oven too haha

personally, that has worked fantastically for me. just talking about it means i am probably going to smoke a choice brisket on Saturday, rest overnight and then have it Sunday.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Ok boys. Finish in the oven on the lowest temp overnight. Mine is 170. Do I wrap it in foil when I put it in the oven, butcher paper, or foil boat?

Thanks

You're going to have a hard time getting your brisket to finish at 200F-ish at 170 oven temp.  To finish the cook, I'd say 225F.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Thanks

Yeah you don't “finish” the cook at 170.

you continue to cook it at whatever temp is your preferred number as if it were still on the smoker (that’s ~215-250 for me)

170 is the number after it’s cooked and you’ve taken it out to rest for a bit but you need keep it warm for some extended period of time

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I do 200.  Goes in at 1 or 2 a.m., comes out at 11ish, serve at 1:00.

1 or 2am? That seems to defeat the purpose of using oven to sleep

why not put it in at 11pm or 12a and bump the temp to ~225-250 so it still gets done at the same time and get two extra hours of sleep?

Just now, UTexasFight said:

1 or 2am? That seems to defeat the purpose of using oven to sleep

why not put it in at 11pm or 12a and bump the temp to ~225-250 so it still gets done at the same time and get two extra hours of sleep?

Because I enjoy a little alone time on the patio with an adult beverage on Friday or Saturday night.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

What’s the benefit of putting it on a rack on a sheet pan vs straight on the sheet pan?

in my mind, keeping the bottom of the brisket off the sheet pan which is going to be at a higher temp. now does that make a real difference? who knows but makes sense in my head. keep in mind it's already foil boat'd

I think @Post Oak was saying his brisket temp is at 170 and just asking what method to finish it.

I've never messed with tallow stuff.  I'm not trying to mess with my tried n true methods.

I do start my oven at 250ish..and sometimes bump it up to 300 if I really need the foil wrapped brisket to hurry up.  

1 hour ago, NoName said:

in my mind, keeping the bottom of the brisket off the sheet pan which is going to be at a higher temp. now does that make a real difference? who knows but makes sense in my head. keep in mind it's already foil boat'd

Direct contact with a hot metal pan makes sense.

I’ve been leaving the foil boat directly on an oven rack with a metal pan on a separate oven rack below to catch drippings, but it still results in a mess when trying to move 

• Hook 'Em 1

I think [mention=379]Post Oak[/mention] was saying his brisket temp is at 170 and just asking what method to finish it.
I've never messed with tallow stuff.  I'm not trying to mess with my tried n true methods.
I do start my oven at 250ish..and sometimes bump it up to 300 if I really need the foil wrapped brisket to hurry up.  

You need to mess with tallow stuff.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Post Oak said:

Thanks fellas. 

Pull it at 205.  So the oven would need to be at least 210 or so.  Right?

Can I leave it in the oven for 12 hours or so?

Thanks again.  I'm learning a lot

It’s trial and error.  I’ve settled in at 200.  Yes on the 12 hours.

23 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Thanks fellas. 

Pull it at 205.  So the oven would need to be at least 210 or so.  Right?

Can I leave it in the oven for 12 hours or so?

Thanks again.  I'm learning a lot

I don't think you want to hold it at 210 for 12 hours if you pulled it off the smoker at 205. 

I’m sure it’s on every page of this thread but 205 or temp is just a guideline. It’s done when it’s done. Probe it. If there’s resistance let it ride. If you pull it based on temp you’re more likely to undercook it than over.