All Things Brisket

kevwun

Bummer.  I cut starting with the point just because it was the easiest place to start, and served that, and while tender, it was dry af.  Of course when done starting separating the rest and the flat was perf3crly juicy and tasty, but we were full.  So it’ll make go leftovers, but wish I had served the flat.

17 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Bummer.  I cut starting with the point just because it was the easiest place to start, and served that, and while tender, it was dry af.  Of course when done starting separating the rest and the flat was perf3crly juicy and tasty, but we were full.  So it’ll make go leftovers, but wish I had served the flat.

That is painful to read.  The point should always be moist.

I know you're in California.  Where did you get this nag?  How many pounds and how was the fat?  Did you trim or did the butcher?

Give us a rundown of smoker temps and fluctuations.

That said, buy a WSM.  Problems solved.

• Hook 'Em 1

How is this even possible?

Alright, fuckers.  I'm turning 55 this year.  My wife didn't do shit for my 50th (& I put together a hellova party for her 50th, 10 months older than me so she had a template or standard to look up to) & I figure I need to take charge of my own happiness.

I've talked to @Judge Roybeanbag to see if he's up for it & yes, that's a "GO" from him.  He is actually 3 days older than me.

Zip:  78620.  Some of y'all have been out here for the 1st Ever ShaggyBevo Cookoff, others came out for the "Shoot Around".

I want a bunch of fools to show up & help me do a quality brisket on this trailer smoker.  I am OK to good for ribs, shoulder / butt, etc. but I can't seem to get a brisket correct.  I'll supply the meat (of course) & some beers... provided nobody gets wasted, we can even throw some lead @ my designated Cedar tree of choice.  Opening season won't be for another day or two... labor day weekend, however (my birthday is 29 Aug & this year it's a Sunday).

So... who is in?  Send a PM with your digits & real name & I'll get back to you with a text.  Again, 29 Aug.

Meet "Earl".  He ties in with our Doberman, Major & Corgi, Scout McCoy.

& I may or may not have a go @ removing all the crap from that area - it's country livin', we get to be a bit messy.  You'll be lucky if I can get the kids to clean the guest bathroom.  The boy still has some aiming issues.

image.thumb.png.b5164db2b53269251f339c8f473ee770.png

1 minute ago, ROFL BOX said:

Alright, fuckers.  I'm turning 55 this year.  My wife didn't do shit for my 50th (& I put together a hellova party for her 50th, 10 months older than me so she had a template or standard to look up to) & I figure I need to take charge of my own happiness.

I've talked to @Judge Roybeanbag to see if he's up for it & yes, that's a "GO" from him.  He is actually 3 days older than me.

Zip:  78620.  Some of y'all have been out here for the 1st Ever ShaggyBevo Cookoff, others came out for the "Shoot Around".

I want a bunch of fools to show up & help me do a quality brisket on this trailer smoker.  I am OK to good for ribs, shoulder / butt, etc. but I can't seem to get a brisket correct.  I'll supply the meat (of course) & some beers... provided nobody gets wasted, we can even throw some lead @ my designated Cedar tree of choice.  Opening season won't be for another day or two... labor day weekend, however (my birthday is 29 Aug & this year it's a Sunday).

So... who is in?  Send a PM with your digits & real name & I'll get back to you with a text.  Again, 29 Aug.

Meet "Earl".  He ties in with our Doberman, Major & Corgi, Scout McCoy.

& I may or may not have a go @ removing all the crap from that area - it's country livin', we get to be a bit messy.  You'll be lucky if I can get the kids to clean the guest bathroom.  The boy still has some aiming issues.

image.thumb.png.b5164db2b53269251f339c8f473ee770.png

You don’t look a day over 64. 

1 minute ago, ROFL BOX said:

Yeah, you got hammered.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Hammered is an understatement.  If your mom hadn't been an ICU nurse, I probably would have needed the amberlamps. @luke duke was gracious enough to leave me alone after I asked about his firewood and offered him a snoot from my bottle for a fifth time.  

I learned today that it is more than possible to reheat a half of a WSM brisket on the recently run engine block of a wake board boat.  Cutting?  Well, that was another story.

Just off the WSM -

BA228BAF-3778-4D2A-B438-35BDC7633BE0.jpe

Image_8-15-21_at_7.47_PM.jpgPi

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Weird as fuck problem:

We were gifted a three pound brisket (wrapped and everything) recently, and I thought "cool, that'll hardly take any time to smoke" and promptly put it in the fridge waiting for the appropriate weekend. Here it comes, so I take it out, and... It's sliced. Not cooked, but already sliced.

How the fuck do I cook a pre-sliced brisket?

2 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Weird as fuck problem:

We were gifted a three pound brisket (wrapped and everything) recently, and I thought "cool, that'll hardly take any time to smoke" and promptly put it in the fridge waiting for the appropriate weekend. Here it comes, so I take it out, and... It's sliced. Not cooked, but already sliced.

Grind it into hamburger?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Weird as fuck problem:

toaster?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

Weird as fuck problem:
I would vacuum seal and reheat sous vide or hot water.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Wait wut.  three pound brisket?  Is that like off an ant.

Like sliced pre cooked?  Or sliced uncooked?

If the latter your friend is a well meaning asshole. Throw it in the grinder with some sirloin and make burgers.  If cooked, vacuum seal and throw it in sous vide or a pot of water just off boil. 

Edited by Anastasis

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Weird as fuck problem:

1) the gift bearer is an asshole, and may be regarded.

2) grind into burger and make burgers/chili/stroganoff, etc with it, or make cheese steaks, tacos, or something.

On 8/15/2021 at 8:03 PM, Cajun said:

I learned today that it is more than possible to reheat a half of a WSM brisket on the recently run engine block of a wake board boat.  Cutting?  Well, that was another story.

Just off the WSM -

BA228BAF-3778-4D2A-B438-35BDC7633BE0.jpe

Image_8-15-21_at_7.47_PM.jpgPi

Strong move but I'd just eat that shit coldish. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

On 8/18/2021 at 4:17 PM, Walden Ponderer said:

Weird as fuck problem:

First you make a roux.

Then get a bottle of peanut butter whiskey.

Then post pics here.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Isn't that the same guy that was convinced Franklin adds extra beef tallow to all of their briskets?

I think John Lewis was just making shit up in that Texas Monthly interview.

So if you check out the 24 hours at Franklin BBQ video on youtube and jump to about the 12:34 mark, they're shaking up rub.  There are two shaken containers on the left side of the frame, and I'll be damned if it doesn't look like there's a bit of Lawry's on top of the Salt and Pepper in those shakers (or it might be something dark red behind the shakers.  Worth a look.

But they're probably making rib rub, since it shows them doing pork ribs with a mustard binder about 30 seconds later.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, dcbc said:

So if you check out the 24 hours at Franklin BBQ video on youtube and jump to about the 12:34 mark, they're shaking up rub.  There are two shaken containers on the left side of the frame, and I'll be damned if it doesn't look like there's a bit of Lawry's on top of the Salt and Pepper in those shakers (or it might be something dark red behind the shakers.  Worth a look.

But they're probably making rib rub, since it shows them doing pork ribs with a mustard binder about 30 seconds later.

I don't have his Manifesto in front of me (great book, BTW -- helped me so much in my brisket game, especially with trimming the raw product and resting and slicing the finished product), but I thought that he was cool with a bit of paprika or chili powder in his rubs "for color."

• Like 1

I don't have his Manifesto in front of me (great book, BTW -- helped me so much in my brisket game, especially with trimming the raw product and resting and slicing the finished product), but I thought that he was cool with a bit of paprika or chili powder in his rubs "for color."
That's for pork ribs and pulled pork (and Turkey IIRC). I don't remember if the book mentioned other additions for brisket, but I think it was 50/50 S&P

3 minutes ago, dcbc said:
1 hour ago, DalTxHornFan said:

That's for pork ribs and pulled pork (and Turkey IIRC). I don't remember if the book mentioned other additions for brisket, but I think it was 50/50 S&P

That's probably correct.  Not to totally derail a brisket thread (but I suppose that I did!), that Franklin Manifesto also really upped my smoked turkey game.  Smoking it with skin off makes for a better looking product and allows the dry rub and smoke to really get into the meat.

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

That's an awesome video. Loved the Aussie guy.

I use paprika + S&P in my rub, but it's no secret ingredient, it doesn't alter the flavor.  Just acts as a carrier to distribute and hold the S&P in place and produce a crustier and more even bark.  It has the added feature of creating a more mahogany bark, compared to meteorite black. 

I don't taste anything other than S&P in the Franklin rub.

I definitely taste other ingredients in the LA BBQ rub, so much so that it produces off-flavors that I REALLY don't like and it's why I don't consider LA BBQ to be a top place in Austin, despite the fact that it's cooked absolutely perfectly.  So I don't doubt John Lewis when he says that LA BBQ uses something beyond S&P in the rub, it's obvious that they do.  And I don't like it.