All Things Brisket

kevwun

I smoked a pastrami brisket and a regular brisket on Saturday.  The regular one was an HEB natural brisket that turned very nicely.  First time I've done one of those and I would get another if I run across one again.  Haven't tried the pastrami version because it's for reubens a few weeks from now.  I also cured a tongue since I had to brine a brisket and then smoked it.  If you like tongue, smoked pastrami tongue is fucking good.  I smoked it for 2 or 3 hours until it was around 165, then put it in a aluminum pan with some water and then covered it with foil until it was probing tender like a brisket.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 9/12/2021 at 1:22 PM, ScooterHTX said:

Finally attempted my first brisket on my WSM. Ive been pretty intimidated by the thought of cooking brisket, but have done several pork butts now and have that down.

Just bought a 6 lb point already trimmed from HEB. Cooked around 240
For 7.5 hours, pulled at 200 degrees and let it sit in cooler for 2 hours.

Will likely step up to a full size next time

8a516ef4c860e554ae773c1888ab5d55.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Process for the full packer is exactly the same.  Just takes a little longer and requires a little more rub and fuel.  Looks good!

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

14 hours on the smoke, let it rest for about 3 before slicing. Instead of just SPG, I used Lawrys and black pepper, similar to that “mad scientist” bbq goofball, but it was actually really good. 

DAD3A9CF-4CB7-46F5-AA33-27FDA063E31A.jpeg

1AEB6C54-65C1-4D2A-BA1A-36DB6A11511B.jpeg

7F21203B-5B00-499B-BBE7-2C798837BF44.jpeg

Looks good.  How would you describe the difference between the rubs?  Better?  Noticeable, but on par with S/P, etc.?

2 hours ago, dcbc said:

Looks good.  How would you describe the difference between the rubs?  Better?  Noticeable, but on par with S/P, etc.?

I wouldn’t say there was a huge difference… I think noticeable but on par with S/P is a pretty apt way to put it. I could notice a little bit of the sugar/extra spices from the Lawrys which was nice, but the meat and pepper were still the more dominant flavors. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

I wouldn’t say there was a huge difference… I think noticeable but on par with S/P is a pretty apt way to put it. I could notice a little bit of the sugar/extra spices from the Lawrys which was nice, but the meat and pepper were still the more dominant flavors. 

Lawry's seasoned salt?  Think I have seen that goof ball's videos.

1 hour ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Better question.  Would you do it that way again if you were cooking for others or would you go back to S/P/G?

55 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Better question.  Would you do it that way again if you were cooking for others or would you go back to S/P/G?

I think I would. Nothing overpowering, but it was enough that I could notice there was something different than just S/P/G and i liked it. I’m trying to figure out the best way to explain it.. maybe that it gave a bit of sweetness to blend in with the spice from the black pepper. As big a goober as I think that bbq mad scientist guy is, I actually pretty much agree with his assessment. There’s just a little bit “more”. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I watched that a while back.  I was interested, even if the dude is a bit overly enthusiastic on the "secret ingredient" front.  If I get to the point of doing more than a brisket every few months, I might try subbing seasoned salt for regular salt.  I've always been partial to Morton's Nature Seasons, but might pick up Lawry's.

Edited by dcbc

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

I don't like sugar in any beef rub, so I'd never use seasoned salt on brisket.

But it's certainly okay to have different opinions on this stuff.

I have avoided it thus far.  But I still think it might be worth trying just to try when I'm just cooking for the family.  I've used season salt on plenty of beef dishes, and while I know it has sugar in the ingredients, I don't think there's much of it.

• 1 month later...
On 10/26/2021 at 9:24 PM, Baboontyme said:

Anyone done the Butterfingers brisket? Do you use anything as a binder? We are having some people over on Sunday pre trick or treating and I'm thinking it might be the right occasion to give this a try. 

you dont need any binding agent. 

9 hours ago, NOMAAA said:

get the fuck out of here.

What was your rub, generally?  I remember its being referenced on shaggy, but I never got around to taking a close look at it.  Saw the Butterfinger, obviously, and black pepper.  Memory fades on the rest.

On 11/9/2021 at 4:09 PM, Jimbaround said:

This is a long thread so apologies for being lazy, but what is the general consensus of a dry brine for a brisket?  I usually just season the night before but I was thinking about salting about two days prior and use less salt in the final seasoning.

I do it with steak.  I don't know why I don't bother with brisket.  I add my rub right after I start my fire.  So it might sit on there for 30--45 minutes before I put it on the pit.  I add a lot more rub to brisket than I do to steak though.

Edited by dcbc

On 11/9/2021 at 4:09 PM, Jimbaround said:

This is a long thread so apologies for being lazy, but what is the general consensus of a dry brine for a brisket?  I usually just season the night before but I was thinking about salting about two days prior and use less salt in the final seasoning.

I’ve done a root beer brine. Was delicious. Did a big red brine too. Also…..you guessed it. Delicious. 

• Hook 'Em 2