All Things Brisket

kevwun

19 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

This turned out really well. I turned the trimmings into tallow and squirted some one the butcher paper and before wrapping - hadn’t done that before. I feel like it made a difference; this brisket was really really moist.  

A01C94ED-FF2B-4302-9F5D-4F67C5D7D92C.jpeg

Strong to quite strong Smoke Ring

• Hook 'Em 1

Brisket, potato salad (recipe from Franklin’s book is a good one), pintos, blueberry cobbler. This one turned out very good; WSM ran like a champ as always.

4ee6ad97f80db6cb767c727f5fd548c7.jpg

870dbf23d5416287b459e2f7291d9bab.jpg

c126946b84d789098525dfd96807b64b.jpg

28d39404bd780fa26650ddc863d9fbe8.jpg

50085352c23a353568cdf991c1e31d55.jpg

1c8d62f2599f402d5125c5381658d4f2.jpg

That all looks great. I’m assuming vanilla ice cream for the cobbler. Sweet tea in a tall glass.

2 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

That all looks great. I’m assuming vanilla ice cream for the cobbler. Sweet tea in a tall glass.

Thanks. Affirm to vanilla ice cream w/ cobbler (Blue Bell Natural Vanilla Bean), but Negative to the sweet tea (rolled w/ Shiner Bock x 2).

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 6:34 AM, Etexhorn13 said:

I got about a 12 #er for this weekend, and a 9.5#, both prime, I’m going to freeze and smoke in a few weeks and vacuum seal to take to Pensacola for the family. The totals were around $34 and $28 respectively…  the way prices have been lately I felt like I was stealing them. 

vacuum sealers are a GAME CHANGER and make life so much easier. i intentionally take leftovers and put them aside to freezing or recently i have been snagging a smaller choice brisket when i smoke a prime and smoke it, then chop, seal and freeze in 1 # bags. really convenient either for us for dinner or as a hand off to buddies who have had kids recently. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I smoked a brisket to vacuum seal and give to my in-laws to take to the beach next week, but they aren’t gonna need the whole thing. I want to take half the point and some of the flat over to a friend’s house this afternoon - other than not pre-slicing, what’s the best mode of transportation, and then reheating? It’s already gone through the rest period so it’s ready for slicing whenever. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been battling Covid (a lite case) the last 5 days and I had to smoke a brisket and ribs today.  I started to lose my taste and smell this morning.  I could barely taste a pale ale this afternoon so I poured it out.  I just pulled the brisket after probing like butter and I’m letting it rest.  I tried a piece and even with reduced senses it was amazing.  I’ll try to post pics later. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Did a little 11.5# yesterday for a “supper club” the weekend after the 4th.   Only sliced the chef’s check to see how it turned out then vacuum sealed and froze.   8 hour cook at 300, 2 hr rest and straight into the bag.  
Absolutely delicious 

C23AF2B7-9946-4A60-9ECC-24C4FFA48003.jpeg

E8896A0D-FD30-4C46-8C86-961755073383.jpeg

24EFCDFE-0E82-44B8-872C-A0CC7CCB9F45.jpeg

F2A514DC-9BCE-45F7-A46A-961A161E9580.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Ok got a brisket resting after an 18 hr smoke.  Question- will have lots of leftovers.  Better to slice then vacuum seal, or vacuum seal in on or 2 larger pieces?

I like to do both. Slice or chop some and seal, seal the remaining hunk.

Also, don't get ripped off buying those vacuum seal bags. You can buy whole uncut rolls on Amazon. Cut to the size you need, seal one end. Then add food and seal the other end.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TornACL said:

I like to do both. Slice or chop some and seal, seal the remaining hunk.

Also, don't get ripped off buying those vacuum seal bags. You can buy whole uncut rolls on Amazon. Cut to the size you need, seal one end. Then add food and seal the other end.

That's what I do.  Have many rolls.

I outdid myself this weekend but forgot to take pictures. It was for a large party and everyone loved it, I even got the juicy squeeze cross section, but again forgot to take pictures. I need to set my beer soaked mind to remember next time. 

I do have a question for the surly brisketeers. Someone suggested that I offer a full smoked brisket as an auction item for my office's Christmas fundraiser. We had a guy a long time ago that did it with pork butt or ribs, I don't recall. 

How would I go about doing this in the best way possible? I assume I would let it rest to room temp then vacuum seal and freeze or refrigerate. What instructions should I give for reheating? Should I slice before vacuum sealing? The Sam's Club version is sliced before being sealed. 

Any advice is welcome, thanks. 

19 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Ok got a brisket resting after an 18 hr smoke.  Question- will have lots of leftovers.  Better to slice then vacuum seal, or vacuum seal in on or 2 larger pieces?

Really depends upon what you are doing with the leftovers.  I like to slice and seal in ~1 pound packages.  That way I can pull out just what I need for any given meal.  Most leftovers will be used for meals during the week.  If I need more than a couple pounds, then I'll happily smoke another brisket.

21 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I do have a question for the surly brisketeers. Someone suggested that I offer a full smoked brisket as an auction item for my office's Christmas fundraiser. We had a guy a long time ago that did it with pork butt or ribs, I don't recall. 

How would I go about doing this in the best way possible? I assume I would let it rest to room temp then vacuum seal and freeze or refrigerate. What instructions should I give for reheating? Should I slice before vacuum sealing? The Sam's Club version is sliced before being sealed. 

1) smoke

2) overnight rest

3) either slice it all out and vac seal the lean and the fatty

here are Franklin's instructions for reheating via oven, sous vide or simmer: https://franklinbbq.com/instructions

Daniel Vaughn on this back in 2014: https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/the-best-method-for-reheating-barbecue/

I’ve had a couple great briskets in the past that used a similar method of reheating, but they were kept whole for even better results. I was in a pinch on the way to Lake Texoma for a Fourth of July weekend, and my father-in-law put me in charge of the brisket for the big family meal. I hadn’t planned ahead, so I called Clark’s Outpost in Tioga to secure a whole brisket. They handed me a fully-sheathed hunk of beef. At the lake house I placed it in a deep pan of water, and put the whole package into a 225 degree oven for a couple hours. It came out beautifully, and all that luscious, tender fat that Clark’s usually trims off was there for the eating. Another instance was at an event where Wayne Mueller was supposed to be cooking briskets. A family emergency kept him away, so he shipped several cryovaced briskets. Another pit master at the event warmed them up and sliced them. While I knew the situation before I took the first bite, it was some mighty fine smoked brisket.

and

One sample of each was fresh, and the other had been cryovaced, chilled for two days, then reheated in a water bath. I had only my taste to go on. I’m not ashamed to say that both briskets tasted identical. One was more tender, so I assumed it had been heated twice. I chose wrong.

BBQ snob later on in 2016 on faux vide: https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/faux-vide/

Snows: https://snowsbbq.com/heating-instructions/ >> don't like this process at all but sharing it nonetheless

4 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Really depends upon what you are doing with the leftovers.  I like to slice and seal in ~1 pound packages.  That way I can pull out just what I need for any given meal.  Most leftovers will be used for meals during the week.  If I need more than a couple pounds, then I'll happily smoke another brisket.

agreed here - i either slice and weigh out in 1 lb packages or if it overcook the lean, just chop, weigh out in 1 lb packages and freeze. makes it super easy to reheat.

alternatively you can do larger packages as needed.

i do not like freezing in chunks, used to do this but it takes *forever* to reheat the full frozen fatty.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, 'stache said:

I outdid myself this weekend but forgot to take pictures. It was for a large party and everyone loved it, I even got the juicy squeeze cross section, but again forgot to take pictures. I need to set my beer soaked mind to remember next time. 

I prefer the whole brisket vac-sealed.   I like the faux vide method though I have oven reheated and even smoker reheated.    But to make sure it’s gonna be perfect, faux vide is best.  

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, NoName said:

1) smoke

2) overnight rest

3) either slice it all out and vac seal the lean and the fatty

here are Franklin's instructions for reheating via oven, sous vide or simmer: https://franklinbbq.com/instructions

Daniel Vaughn on this back in 2014: https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/the-best-method-for-reheating-barbecue/

and

BBQ snob later on in 2016 on faux vide: https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/faux-vide/

Snows: https://snowsbbq.com/heating-instructions/ >> don't like this process at all but sharing it nonetheless

agreed here - i either slice and weigh out in 1 lb packages or if it overcook the lean, just chop, weigh out in 1 lb packages and freeze. makes it super easy to reheat.

alternatively you can do larger packages as needed.

i do not like freezing in chunks, used to do this but it takes *forever* to reheat the full frozen fatty.

If it has been frozen, pull from freezer to fridge on Tuesday (for Saturday use) and the day of employ the faux vide reheat.   

• Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Youngest and BIL went to Truth in Brenham a few weeks ago.  They both said they thought it was better than Snows.  High praise there...

Thats because it is

Snows is more in line with Luling City Market, Kreuz, Blacks, Etc

Truth is more in line with Goldees, Franklin, Tejas, etc

• Like 1

Well I saw that in Austin the Randall's have Choice brisket for $2.47/lb.  But when I looked online I defaulted to a Houston Randall's on Memorial Drive.  And Mofo, in Houston the exact same brisket is $1.87/lb!  Why am I getting over a 30% additional markup on the same product in Austin.  I thought about real estate pricing, but Memorial Drive in Houston is comparable to Braker/Jollyville in Austin.

Anyhow I was happy to see $2.47 on sale, would be happier with $1.87 though.

spacer.pngspacer.png

2 hours ago, horn4life said:

Well I saw that in Austin the Randall's have Choice brisket for $2.47/lb.  But when I looked online I defaulted to a Houston Randall's on Memorial Drive.  And Mofo, in Houston the exact same brisket is $1.87/lb!  Why am I getting over a 30% additional markup on the same product in Austin.  I thought about real estate pricing, but Memorial Drive in Houston is comparable to Braker/Jollyville in Austin.

Anyhow I was happy to see $2.47 on sale, would be happier with $1.87 though.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Yeah we're getting screwed in Austin.  I guess it's because Austin is wealthy and sophisticated, while Houston is full of a bunch of poors.

Dear brisket gods I have a couple questions. MIL has been cooking a brisket today for tomorrow’s festivities. No clue why they didn’t start it now and just push through the night, but whatever. I’ve done plenty of cooks and used coolers to hold the temps but longest I’ve gone is 6 hours. Any tips? I’ve never cooked, chilled, and then reheated. Tips on that?

32 minutes ago, Fudbelty said:

Dear brisket gods I have a couple questions. MIL has been cooking a brisket today for tomorrow’s festivities. No clue why they didn’t start it now and just push through the night, but whatever. I’ve done plenty of cooks and used coolers to hold the temps but longest I’ve gone is 6 hours. Any tips? I’ve never cooked, chilled, and then reheated. Tips on that?

I think you can go up to 12 hours in the cooler before it starts working against you.  If you chill, let it rest outside of foil/paper for at least an hour, then wrap tightly in foil and refrigerate.  Or, if you have a sous vide, you can vacuum seal it.  Oven at 250.  Leave in foil, reheat until 145 internal.  Or sous vide at 145 for an hour or two.

• Like 1

Well, I did my second brisket in an electric smoker. It came out ok, but the flat was dry. Also, I didn’t turn the point 90 degrees to cut it because it was such a thin point I didn’t think it would make much difference. I was wrong.

I wish I could figure out how to keep the flat from drying out so much faster than the point. 

image.thumb.jpeg.44f72ea0bb0da637e47cbc5bc3eecfb6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.145b1abe5797e276f1ebfeab0f1e97aa.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Down here in San Antonio if anybody is looking to step up their weekend game. I’ll bet this will smoke my one brisket waaay better than my uds, but now with much more room for activities!

467c90b86e7572348fe896473c882ea7.jpg
8cb4c3c06c4c6efd662feec02b866b8a.jpg

Not sure if the dumbbell wheel chocks are included.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

• 2 weeks later...