All Things Brisket

kevwun

1 hour ago, Mojo Hand said:

Mine turned out as my best ever, and impressed the hell out of our out-of-town guests.  No sliced pics because our power went out from the storm I mentioned and my phone was dead.  But here's from when I wrapped for the cooler. 

20180721_154838.jpg

That looks great!

After reading a bit about it, I decided to try a mustard/dill pickle juice binder before my usual 50/50 Salt/Pepper with a bit of cayenne rub.  I doubt it will bake a difference between olive oil or no binder I have used in the past.  But figured it was worth trying.  We'll see.

Update:  No wrap, 12 hours and done for this pretrimmed paccker.  I like the way the bark set up.  I'm keeping it warm and slicing it up for dinner.

l6_BWiq_ZHYSs_SJGra_LUgq_Vj_KEs_Bi_TH4_T

Edited by dcbc

23 minutes ago, ChampKind said:

Careful. Pickle juice has a ton of sodium content

Very good point.  I had not considered that. 

Thankfully, I was very sparing in how much I used to "cut the mustard," and even more sparing when it came to what I rubbed on the brisket before applying the rub.  I tasted the concoction before applying it and it only had a hint of that dill flavor.  My general feeling so far is that less is more when it comes to brisket and this my be what drives that point home with me.  I have done a lot of needlessly complicated rubs, settled into S&P for a a while and only recently decided that I liked a little cayenne thrown in for a little heat. 

But I like to try new things every once in a while.

Edited by dcbc

12 minutes ago, ChampKind said:

I do too. That’s why I go eat bbq at other shops. I can’t change what I do, but I enjoy different flavor profiles

I revert to what I know works when I cook for other people.  This was a test kitchen batch so to speak.

Brisket turned out well.  Tail end of the flat is a bit dry and I may wrap my next to see if it makes a huge difference across the flat.  But most of it was great.  I didn't taste anything different from the mustard apart from the rub holding on a bit better through the cook versus no binder at all.  I'll probably stick to olive oil.

ykd6b_9_Hjedamjzkvdei_Cq1x4yrboy_LK1_Lw_

• Like 3

I appreciate the compliment. I'd say that the first four slices are a bit dry, but still pull apart.  The rest of the flat was very moist. 

As for method, I'm not doing anything that wasn't suggested by people in the threads here or on TOS. You guys got me into this and taught me how to do it. I think I read the WSM thread on the old site twice over at least.  Its a salt and pepper rub, equal parts by volume (I prefer this to by weight) with just a little cayenne pepper mixed in. KBB in the WSM 4--6 wood chunks. Minion method, cooking between 225 and 250 until done. When I don't wrap that's usually between 195 and 200. If I do wrap, it's closer to 209 typically. Rest, then into the cooler or oven until serving.

Those clay pot bases in the pan really have cut down on temperature swings.

I'll fess up that the brisket I made last weekend, while really good, was a really tough flat because I had a few too many cervezas and sliced the flat with the grain without checking.  I was not a happy camper.  I'd notched it as a reference and everything.  I also had smoked a brisket for a buddy and written out specific slicing instructions with pictures and everything.  That's the first time I've done that in about two years.  Felt like such a supreme dumbass.

Edited by dcbc

6 minutes ago, luke duke said:

I’ve never found the need to use a binder.

I didn't use one on the last one I did.  Turned out fine.  There's enough fat and moisture on a packer to hold things in place, I figure.

One of my friends bought an Oklahoma Joe smoker and we cooked some beef ribs on it yesterday.  It is a nice starter pit.  Easily the best mass produced one that I have used.  He doesn't have the biggest model, but there is enough room to do 2 briskets.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, luke duke said:

I’ve never found the need to use a binder.

Me neither.

Also, most of the  more "exotic" flavors in a rub don't make it through the smoke.  Salt and pepper do.  Spice/heat like cayenne certainly does.  I sometimes use my own chipotle powder, too.  But I only add cayenne or chipotle if I know my audience can handle more spice than simply black pepper.

2 hours ago, ChampKind said:

I’ll sometimes hit the brisket with a little woosty just to make sure the pepper lays down. But mustard and all that other shit is unnecessary. My opinion, your results may vary

I'm glad I tried it, but my anecdotal evidence between the mustard/pickle juice or olive oil versus nothing is that it did little more than help the rub stick, which is something I want.  But something cheap, neutral, and easy to grab like (Worcestershire, Olive Oil, ACV, or the like) is all you really need for brisket.  For all I know, some of these guys have so many buckets full of pickle juice lying around that it's something easy to dip a brisket as a time saver. 

Edited by dcbc

44 minutes ago, ChampKind said:

Buy a spray bottle and fill it 50/50 with woosty and water

I've got the spray bottle, but it has 50/50 ACV and water (I'm a fan of the tart flavors).  But I'll definitely try the "woosty" mixture next time.

One of my friends bought an Oklahoma Joe smoker and we cooked some beef ribs on it yesterday.  It is a nice starter pit.  Easily the best mass produced one that I have used.  He doesn't have the biggest model, but there is enough room to do 2 briskets.

My kid bought the same thing. We did a brisket when I was back there a couple weeks ago. Not a bad smoker but for the same money I prefer the WSM

12 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Kroger has choice packers on sale for $1.88 per pound.  Limit 2.  Picked up two yesterday and stuck one in the deep freezer.  Going to cook the other one on the BGE later this week.

There's a thread for brisket prices, ya know. :)

On 7/28/2018 at 7:05 PM, bigcigar said:

I’m a couple weeks late. Any idea if they still have it?

I live a couple of miles away from the headquarters and have never seen these in any store up here. Curious to see someone smoke one.

Edited by shnsajax

EDIT: Guess I should have inspected them closer, but the HEB website indicates that the trimmed have the fat cap removed. I assume entirely removed, which would not be what I want.. 

Cuts of brisket
Brisket may be purchased whole or split, trimmed, or packer style (fat cover intact)—and in sizes from four to 18 pounds. Plan for two servings per pound when purchasing untrimmed briskets and three servings when purchasing trimmed briskets.

2 hours ago, BillyBadAss said:

HEB sells "trimmed" briskets: 

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/h-e-b-natural-beef-market-trimmed-brisket-usda-choice/1063467

Any experience with them?  Are they pretty much ready to smoke, or am I better off buying an untrimmed and doing it myself? 

I’ve bought them there both ways.  I like to get prime, and usually the prime they sell aren’t trimmed for some reason.

They do a really good job of trimming them if you are wanting to avoid having to do it.

I still prefer going to Costco, getting the prime (which is cheaper there than HEB) and trimming it myself.

How low of a temp can you let a finished and foiled brisket sit in a cooler/off oven before turning on the oven to warm it back up?   Is there a point at which you have to worry about bacteria?  Mine's been in a cooler for awhile now, is down to around 160, and I'm not serving it for several hours.