Surly official camping and backpacking thread

Chuychanga

2 hours ago, sasquatch69 said:

My Philmont pack was a 70L Gregory Reality, and it performed well.  There is a hole in the bottom of the brain that slowly got bigger over the course of our trek, and I'm waiting to see if Gregory will cover repair (it's an older pack and all their models have changed, so we'll see).  The folks in our crew with newer Gregory packs were very pleased with them as well. 

For tent, I used an Alps Lynx 1 for Philmont (and a dozen camping nights before that) and have been very happy with it.  Durable, fully enclosed with mosquito net-type material so I've never had any issues with bugs, and light (4lb total, and you can get it down further if you go with ultralight stakes).  Felt roomy given its size, and didn't leak at all in a couple heavy downpours (one with small hail).  Only issue I had was a broken zipper on the rain fly, and they are shipping a free replacement with no hassle.

I'd trust this person on all things outdoors based on their username alone.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Trip report: I like canoe camping. I am not an avid whitewater paddler, but I'm competent. Previous trips: Rio Grande, Upper Missourri (6 days), Yukon (6 days), Big Salmon / Yukon (13 days), Penobscot (3 days). Nice flat water river trips. Recommend all.

Talked the Mrs. and our kids (6th and 4rh grade) into Lower Gunnison, CO. Put in near Delta, CO at Escalante. Water at 690cfs.

So my wife did the Missouri with me. I assumed maybe better skills. Gunnison has a Class II like 12 minutes from the put in. She had not shook off the rust... and had never been the stern. We take channel left to avoid rocks and long wave chain, but current goes directly into tamarack sweepers. I'm teller wife to just get out... water is like 20 inches. Daughter goes into branches, drops paddle. By this time I've beaches our boat on the bank. Wife gets out successfully and manages to pull boat back from shore. Daughter managed to avoid being scratched. I swim for paddle and get it. Not a great start. But we rally. Camp 14 miles downstream. 

I rented 1 large tent, but outfitter gives us 2 small. Fine. Except second tent has busted pole. So we sleep all 4 in a 3 person tent. Not great. But campsite was devine and nobody for miles. Weekday launch a good idea. 

Camp is just at only other Class II on that fetch. Wife and daughter are sort of shy, so I solo both past the worst. Easy. Line it past "Undertaker" rock and ping pong past rocks and a snag. 

We decide to do the rest in 1 day, avoiding second night in too small tent. Next 16miles goes easy. Lots if fun riffles and Class I wave trains. Pretty canyons.

Never rolled a boat. If day 2 was first I bet wife would have had no trouble with first rapid. Kids have positive memories. Wife a little salty about my prior assurance it was zero risk. Pretty stretch. Easy logistics. Will bring our own darn tents if I can convince family to do Green River in a year or two. Or possibly Bufdalo in AR.

Edited by CleverNickname
  • Hook 'Em 4

27 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

Trip report: I like canoe camping. I am not an avid whitewater paddler, but I'm competent. Previous trips: Rio Grande, Upper Missourri (6 days), Yukon (6 days), Big Salmon / Yukon (13 days), Penobscot (3 days). Nice flat water river trips. Recommend all.

Talked the Mrs. and our kids (6th and 4rh grade) into Lower Gunnison, CO. Put in near Delta, CO at Escalante. Water at 690cfs.

So my wife did the Missouri with me. I assumed maybe better skills. Gunnison has a Class II like 12 minutes from the put in. She had not shook off the rust... and had never been the stern. We take channel left to avoid rocks and long wave chain, but current goes directly into tamarack sweepers. I'm teller wife to just get out... water is like 20 inches. Daughter goes into branches, drops paddle. By this time I've beaches our boat on the bank. Wife gets out successfully and manages to pull boat back from shore. Daughter managed to avoid being scratched. I swim for paddle and get it. Not a great start. But we rally. Camp 14 miles downstream. 

I rented 1 large tent, but outfitter gives us 2 small. Fine. Except second tent has busted pole. So we sleep all 4 in a 3 person tent. Not great. But campsite was devine and nobody for miles. Weekday launch a good idea. 

Camp is just at only other Class II on that fetch. Wife and daughter are sort of shy, so I solo both past the worst. Easy. Line it past "Undertaker" rock and ping pong past rocks and a snag. 

We decide to do the rest in 1 day, avoiding second night in too small tent. Next 16miles goes easy. Lots if fun riffles and Class I wave trains. Pretty canyons.

Never rolled a boat. If day 2 was first I bet wife would have had no trouble with first rapid. Kids have positive memories. Wife a little salty about my prior assurance it was zero risk. Pretty stretch. Easy logistics. Will bring our own darn tents if I can convince family to do Green River in a year or two. Or possibly Bufdalo in AR.

Nice. I would like to try canoe camping  at some point, but seems like a lot can go wrong. No pics?

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Nice. I would like to try canoe camping  at some point, but seems like a lot can go wrong. No pics?

Yes and no. The Gunnison is like 72 degrees and mostly thigh deep. So if you dumped you could easily just stand up and gather your stuff. And the right river is a bit like backpacking in that it can be a real wilderness experience without having to carry all that stuff on your back. We had folding chairs for camp, for example. Although my old backpacking jetboil was perfect, and we used our old $$$ sleeping bags. 

The most dangerous paddling I've done has been on lakes. Lake Laberge and Chesuncook can build some 3 ft rollers and if you get crosswise can be ruinous. But truth be told, pretty much anyone could do most of em and have a blast. He'll, for most of the Yukon the current tis such you don't need to paddle.

Fun 2 week idea: fly into Great Falls, MT. Do a 6 day trip on the river, reading a Lewis and Clark history book; then do Glacier NP and Waterton. Low stress. You could do it with a small child or two.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2021 at 7:18 PM, CleverNickname said:

Yes and no. The Gunnison is like 72 degrees and mostly thigh deep. So if you dumped you could easily just stand up and gather your stuff. And the right river is a bit like backpacking in that it can be a real wilderness experience without having to carry all that stuff on your back. We had folding chairs for camp, for example. Although my old backpacking jetboil was perfect, and we used our old $$$ sleeping bags. 

The most dangerous paddling I've done has been on lakes. Lake Laberge and Chesuncook can build some 3 ft rollers and if you get crosswise can be ruinous. But truth be told, pretty much anyone could do most of em and have a blast. He'll, for most of the Yukon the current tis such you don't need to paddle.

Fun 2 week idea: fly into Great Falls, MT. Do a 6 day trip on the river, reading a Lewis and Clark history book; then do Glacier NP and Waterton. Low stress. You could do it with a small child or two.

Sept 2019 my nephew and I spent a week canoeing, fishing, and camping in the BWCA in Minnesota. Best vacation I have ever taken and I can't wait until the stars align and we can go back. Really trying to work out a trip next fall since this year didn't work out. 

Haven't slept in the woods since then but this weekend things have worked out and I'm going to take a short backpack trip in Kansas on the Elk River trail. I've taken my daughter on it a couple of times but I will be solo this weekend since it's supposed to be 95. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/13/2021 at 6:22 PM, CleverNickname said:

Could you talk a little more about your Upper Missouri trip? 

2 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

Could you talk a little more about your Upper Missouri trip? 

Sure. This was probably mid 2000s, before we had kids. Flew into to Great Falls. Rented canoe, fire pan, water, toilet system, cooler, etc. See mroutfitters.com for prices. Website seems to have hardly changed in 15 years, lol. I think we brought our own tent, sleeping bags, and our jetboil and cooking stuff. I think the outfitter (out of Fort Benton) picked us up from the Great Falls hotel. Rented a badass kevlar canoe, cut through water like butter. 

The full length is 149 miles, but you can do chunks. 
Fort Benton - Coal Banks, 42 miles
Coal Banks - Judith Landing aka “White Cliffs”, 46 miles
Judith Landing to James Kipp Recreation Area aka “Badlands or Breaks”, 61 miles
Check for the free online BLM guides.

I think we did Coal Banks to Judith Landing, 5 or 6 nights. Van picked us up and returned to hotel in Great Falls. We smelled like hell.

You pass (and can check out) some old cabins and historic Lewis and Clark campgrounds. We saw one person in 6 days (John boat going upstream), but lots of cows and cowshit. Daytime weather was hot, and one storm blew our poor tent nearly flat. Thought we'd lose a pole. Saw bald eagles and bighorn sheep.

Back in Great Falls we rented a car and did Glacier and Waterton National Parks. Worth it. Altogether it was a killer 2 week vacation. 

All in all about the easiest wilderness there is. Some current, but a class 0 throughout, maybe a couple laughably easy riffles the guide book warns about. Make no mistake, its high desert. Biggest risk would probably heat stroke or rattle snake.

If I were to recommend the most perfect canoe trip without budget or time constraint, do the Yukon or a tributary. Cooler weather,  also awesome history, but evil mosquitoes. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JMFP said:
On 9/8/2021 at 4:35 PM, Saint Tacky said:
Mosquitos and tipping over. Two of the biggest reasons I prefer to wait for the Minnesota boundary waters to freeze over before setting foot on them.

I soak my gear in permithrin and myself in picaridin. That's worked well for me so far.

Big lol with your avatar.

• Like 1

Elk River trail, Independence KS

Great hike today. My first trip in while and my first solo so I didn't want to go very far. I had wife drop me off at the 9.5 mile mark and I'm going backwards towards the start (outlet channel), wife and kids are staying in the camper about a mile from the trailhead so tomorrow morning I'll just hike back to the camper. Just got camp set up so I'm going to enjoy half of my cigar now and a few sips of buffalo trace before starting the campfire and working on dinner...

07da800825b063a0bf23c434bb55213a.jpg7725ce8a0413a69225c4cc83b7814b31.jpgbabc9c98d42cad7978acded2799657c7.jpgfca1b168eadb16382b260a07e8edc389.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JMFP said:

Great hike today. My first trip in while and my first solo so I didn't want to go very far. I had wife drop me off at the 9.5 mile mark and I'm going backwards towards the start (outlet channel), wife and kids are staying in the camper about a mile from the trailhead so tomorrow morning I'll just hike back to the camper. Just got camp set up so I'm going to enjoy half of my cigar now and a few sips of buffalo trace before starting the campfire and working on dinner...

07da800825b063a0bf23c434bb55213a.jpg7725ce8a0413a69225c4cc83b7814b31.jpgbabc9c98d42cad7978acded2799657c7.jpgfca1b168eadb16382b260a07e8edc389.jpg

Nice!  I got 9 miles in at Pedernales this morning.  I've got a Big Bend trip in a little over a month, so trying to get some longer hikes in beforehand.  

• Like 1

On 9/7/2021 at 7:05 PM, JMFP said:

Sept 2019 my nephew and I spent a week canoeing, fishing, and camping in the BWCA in Minnesota. Best vacation I have ever taken and I can't wait until the stars align and we can go back. Really trying to work out a trip next fall since this year didn't work out. 

Haven't slept in the woods since then but this weekend things have worked out and I'm going to take a short backpack trip in Kansas on the Elk River trail. I've taken my daughter on it a couple of times but I will be solo this weekend since it's supposed to be 95. 

I know the Boundary Waters very well and go there often.  It's really a must for any avid canoe camper.  Happy to help if anyone has any questions.

On 9/8/2021 at 5:35 PM, Saint Tacky said:

Mosquitos and tipping over. Two of the biggest reasons I prefer to wait for the Minnesota boundary waters to freeze over before setting foot on them.

Mosquitoes are a thing for sure. My favorite time of year is the fall when that's not an issue. 

I've never tipped a canoe in the Boundary Waters (on accident anyway).  If I have an inexperienced/young person with me, I stay away from the big water.  Other than that, as long as one learns how to right a canoe, wears a vest at all times, and secures gear to the thwarts, you're going to be fine. 

Edited by TexasHooch
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Very nice. If you are ever up at the Grand Tetons again and want a good dispersed campsite, go up Pacific Creek Road. Just after you pass out of the national park into the Bridger Teton National Forest, there are a few trails off to the right with dispersed campsites right up next to the creek. We spent a month traveling the National Parks and Forests last summer out west staying mostly at dispersed campsites, and that was our favorite place. And it's a quick and easy drive into the park from there, which can be pretty tough to find. There was even a bear box at the site.

• Hook 'Em 3

• 1 month later...

Heading to Big Bend a week from today.  Would put this in the Big Bend thread, but figured since I'm actually backpacking it works best here.

First night car camping in Chisos Basin, backpacking out to the East/South Rim on Saturday, then hiking back on Sunday for one more night in Chisos Basin.

Think I'm going to do the Ross Maxwell scenic drive the afternoon we get back from the Rim on Sunday before heading to Terlingua for dinner.  Then back to campsite and long drive back to Austin on Monday morning.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm open.  Seems like I won't have time for much else though.

• Like 2

I’ve recommended Ernst Tinaja on the other BB thread. Not much of a hike, maybe a mile each way but pretty cool little unique spot that I didn’t even realize existed until just a few years ago.  It’s down in that section of the park where the hot springs are. Not really near the hot springs, but in that side of the park.  Google pics. 

Last year I was out there and we stayed in the state park in a fairly remote spot down 27 miles of dirt road.  The last few miles were no-shit rocky creek crossings and 4x4 only. There wasn’t anything exceptional there but that ended up being our favorite part of the trip, just being away from the national park crowds.  But if you’ve got a busy agenda it wouldn’t work well because it literally took two hours just to get back to the pavement plus another hour to get to the chisos.  

I’m due for a trip out there. 

• 2 weeks later...

What a perfect time to be out there. And I knew that gnarled little tree in your last post looked familiar. This is my shot from a couple years ago from that same spot.  Probably my favorite spot in Texas and even better that you have to work to get there. 
1C6826C8-FA5D-4033-B39A-C636B27227C6.jpeg.eaabc8f47305ea7f8b52b371b871381b.jpeg

Edited by Your Mom
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, stc said:

anyone have recommendations for hikes in joshua tree? have 3 full days there, i've read up on the popular hikes but figured some of you might have actually been there...

You will have plenty of time to do plenty of them.  I was there November 10-12.  Many of the trails allow for getting "off trail" to do some boulder climbing for various views.  The following are the hikes that I did:

Hidden Valley.  I did this one the afternoon of my arrival.  It is about a mile loop and I took about an hour to do it.  The sunset views are not too bad.

The next day I did the following hikes:

49 Palms Oasis.  I covered about 3.25 miles in about 2:00 hours.  Part of the 2 hours was just hanging out at the oasis.  Around a 620' elevation gain.  It had some nice vista views and the oasis was really nice.  No shade until you get to the oasis.  I did this one first thing in the morning.

Willow Hole Trail.  I covered about 7.4 miles in about 3:30 hours.  Fairly flat without any shade.  Tons of Joshua Trees and interesting rock formation in the middle of the hike.  There are quite a few stretches where you are walking in washes which is very sandy.  On this trail you can do some rock climbing throughout the hike.  A bit of the 3:30 hours was also spent just sitting on a large rock in the shade once I got to the Willow Hole.  There is some nice climbing once you get past the "end of the trail".

Ryan Mountain Trail.  I timed this one so that I would be at the summit at sunset.  This requires hiking back down in the dusk/dark.  It is uphill all of the way up and all downhill on the return.  The elevation gain is just over 1000' in 1.5 miles.  I did about 3 miles in 2 hours.  Again, I spent a good deal of time at the summit taking in the sunset.  Again no shade.  The views are fantastic.  This is a must.

On my last day I did the Lost Horse Mine Loop.  This loop is about 7 miles and I covered it in around 3 hours allowing some time to explore the mine ruins.  This was my favorite hike as it had the most diversity of views as any of them.  The elevation gain is around 900'.  No shade.

Be sure to drive to Keys West Overlook to have a commanding view of Palm Springs.  This is a nice sunset visit as well.

I did drive the length of the park.  The southern part is quite different than the northern part.

Be sure to check out Skull Rock.  The park is also nice to visit during the dead of night for some star gazing.  I did this in the Skull Rock area.

I have posted a few pics that I took in the "Picture You Took" topic under "Hobbies".

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Getting everything packed up and ready to go to Robber's Cave after a half day at work. The kids were bouncing off the walls more than usual with excitement at the chance to go camping.

Hopefully you’re missing the front coming in by going before thanksgiving. I have reservations at Inks for Friday and Saturday, but weather is going to dictate whether it happens or not. Cold I can deal with, but wet with two dogs and cold?  Nope. 

The forcast for Wilburton doesn't show any rain, just cold. We are taking our new (to us) popup on it's seni-maiden voyage. I used it week before last at our family land for a deer camp setup with my FIL, BIL, and Compadre, so we should have most of the kinks worked out. Hopefully it doesnt get too cold inside.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

You will have plenty of time to do plenty of them.  I was there November 10-12.  Many of the trails allow for getting "off trail" to do some boulder climbing for various views.  The following are the hikes that I did:

Hidden Valley.  I did this one the afternoon of my arrival.  It is about a mile loop and I took about an hour to do it.  The sunset views are not too bad.

49 Palms Oasis.  I covered about 3.25 miles in about 2:00 hours.  Part of the 2 hours was just hanging out at the oasis.  Around a 620' elevation gain.  It had some nice vista views and the oasis was really nice.  No shade until you get to the oasis.  I did this one first thing in the morning.

Willow Hole Trail.  I covered about 7.4 miles in about 3:30 hours.  Fairly flat without any shade.  Tons of Joshua Trees and interesting rock formation in the middle of the hike.  There are quite a few stretches where you are walking in washes which is very sandy.  On this trail you can do some rock climbing throughout the hike.  A bit of the 3:30 hours was also spent just sitting on a large rock in the shade once I got to the Willow Hole.  There is some nice climbing once you get past the "end of the trail".

Ryan Mountain Trail.  I timed this one so that I would be at the summit at sunset.  This requires hiking back down in the dusk/dark.  It is uphill all of the way up and all downhill on the return.  The elevation gain is just over 1000' in 1.5 miles.  I did about 3 miles in 2 hours.  Again, I spent a good deal of time at the summit taking in the sunset.  Again no shade.  The views are fantastic.  This is a must.

On my last day I did the Lost Horse Mine Loop.  This loop is about 7 miles and I covered it in around 3 hours allowing some time to explore the mine ruins.  This was my favorite hike as it had the most diversity of views as any of them.  The elevation gain is around 900'.  No shade.

Be sure to drive to Keys West Overlook to have a commanding view of Palm Springs.  This is a nice sunset visit as well.

I did drive the length of the park.  The southern part is quite different than the northern part.

Be sure to check out Skull Rock.  The park is also nice to visit during the dead of night for some star gazing.  I did this in the Skull Rock area.

I have posted a few pics that I took in the "Picture You Took" topic under "Hobbies".

Gram Parsons’ spot was very cool to me, wife not so much. Sounds obvious, but take a lot of water. We never hiked more than a couple miles from the car, and still drank a lot of water. 

5 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

Gram Parsons’ spot was very cool to me, wife not so much. Sounds obvious, but take a lot of water. We never hiked more than a couple miles from the car, and still drank a lot of water. 

Yes, I am 55 and do most of my hiking alone so I typically over pack with snacks, first aid, water and other “just in case” essentials.

• 2 weeks later...
Ended up doing ryan mtn, barker dam, lost horse mine, and keys view sunset day 1. Loved lost horse.
Day 2 we did black rock canyon/panorama loop and sunset at the cholla cactus garden.
Day 3 was hidden valley and a trip down to the salton sea.

Loved the park, reminded me a lot of big bend. It was crowded but once we got 5 minutes down the trail we rarely saw anyone. Will definitely be going back
c21fda995e24182a153fd58a615e800d.jpgabe8d4ca3214b15bc0439097b0f68ab0.jpg2dd3705eb505470191a50c2c5ae4221a.jpga2fc6da029939080eb590a60f75d781d.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Zion National Park - Today is the deadline to obtain a permit for hiking all the way to the top of Angels Landing. The permit gets you access to the chains section of the hike.  They went to the permit system because of crowding at the top on the chains.  https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvisit/angels-landing-hiking-permits.htm

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Zion National Park - Today is the deadline to obtain a permit for hiking all the way to the top of Angels Landing. The permit gets you access to the chains section of the hike.  They went to the permit system because of crowding at the top on the chains.  https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvisit/angels-landing-hiking-permits.htm

Dammit, everything is permitted now.  I get it and it's for good reason, but it seems like I should have gotten all of these things out of the way 10 years ago when I first got into hiking.  That said, in my experience, anything more than a quarter mile off the main roads and main attractions is pretty much solitude in most national parks still.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/11/2021 at 3:16 PM, JMFP said:

Did you do the entire trail? The wife and I are thinking about going down there to hike this but, being in our 70's, we aren't up for the entire trail in one shot. Looking at the map, there are plenty of places  to breakout and only do half of it. If you have done it all, which end would you start from?

25 minutes ago, stc said:

anyone been to the gila wilderness in new mexico? will be out there in the spring, looking for some trail recommendations. 

That's a hugely popular alternate for the Continental Divide Trail.  

This may be of some help.

https://continentaldividetrail.org/2021/01/28/new-gila-alternates/

• Hook 'Em 1