Manchester City 2017-18: The Most Dominant Team In Premier League History

If it weren’t for those sleeves I would legit love those kits. Especially the away. The ‘99 away/Gillingham kit is my favorite City shirt of all time so to see the tribute would otherwise be absolutely awesome. I grabbed up the reproduction as soon as they went on sale online and wear it to Haymaker or where ever the local fan club meets for all the really big matches(might have just doxxed myself to some of y’all). Those sleeves are just horrendous. 

I am a rabid Man City Fan.  I never miss a game and I even watch the U23s play their games through streaming.  I have been a fan since I watched Man City's miraculous 2 goal come back to win the 2012 EPL title against QPR in injury time (Dzeko then Aguero).  That was the first EPL game I have watched start to finish on TV and I loved the reaction of the Manchester United fans who reminded me of crying OU fans.  I also naturally hate Manu bc they remind me of the Yankees.

Anyway, Man City has to be considered the best team in modern day Premier league if they break: 1) the total points record of 95 (2004/2005 Chelsea), 2) Most wins of 30 (16/17 Chelsea), 3) Goal Differential of 71 (Chelsea 09/10), and 4) most goals in a single season of 103 (Chelsea 09/10).  With 8 games to play heading to play Everton at Goodison Park, Man City is sitting at: 1) 81 points (max is 105), 2) 26 Wins (max is 34), 3) 65 goal differential, and 4) 85 goals scored.  Therefore, Man City is head of pace to break ALL of these records in a single season.  The only record that even looks 50/50 at this point is 103 total goals scored.  Man City needs to average 2.375 goals per game in the final 8 games (they have averaged 2.833 up until this point) to break the single season goals record.

^^^ I can also throw in: 5) largest title-winning point margin of 18 (ManU 99/00).  Again, Man City is sitting at a margin of 16 currently and if Man City and Man United win out, except Man City wins at the Ethiad 4/7, then Man City will break that record as well at 19.  

I think Sterling will play, since he was fit for England. Bernardo is a damn good player for a backup though. 

e: Just saw Sterling has a bug. Hopefully he'll be better but if not I wouldn't mind seeing Bernardo start. 

2 hours ago, IPoopOnWhoop said:

I also think that Bernardo over Sterling would make it a stronger side, but don’t see that happening.

IMO Sterling is quite a bit better than Bernardo for the role we have them play. And just overall. Bernardo is much more a wide midfielder than a winger right now. IMO he is so much like David Silva was when David first came to City. 

That's not to say I don't rate Bernardo. Bernardo is amazing and does some crazy stuff and might have the best first touch in European football, but Sterling does so many things so well. I want to see Bernardo play more in midfield, but if Isco is happening this summer that might not happen. 

Edited by Biscuits And Groovy

I am starting to wonder if Pep is going to do a Sterling for Isco swap. Isco is more of a Pep type of player with creative Spanish style football, whereas Sterling is pure pace with very good dribbling skills, but lacks precision passing and finishing. I would hate to give up Sterling, bc he adds so much pressure on the right wing. He is a perfect complement to Sane's incredible pace and dribbling on the other wing. I think Isco is like a stronger Bernardo, but better finisher. I believe that Bernardo is slated to replace David Silva in the midfield and ultimately will not be a winger. But David Silva is not coming off the pitch until he starts looking like an old David Silva.

Here in lies Pep's dilemma for the next couple of years if he adds more attacking players like Isco. How does he keep all of these world class players who have £75+mm valuations happy when there are only 3 attacking positions up for grabs (De Bruyne and David Silva won't come off the field and Gundogan is the backup if either is injured/need rest)? If you add Isco, you will have Isco, Sane, Aguero, Jesus, Sterling, and Bernardo trying to play those three positions. I also think Sane has pushed himself into the must play with De Bruyne and David Silva and he is the only left footed attacker in the six above to play left wing (for crosses on strong foot). Therefore, that would leave Isco, Aguero, Jesus, Sterling, and Bernardo to rotate into two positions (#9 and right wing). Apparently, Pep is promising Isco that he would play regularly (Isco's issue with Real Madrid) and he is not really a #9, that means Sterling is superfluous. Therefore, if Isco is purchased, I think Sterling is sold (Bernardo will not be sold bc he is the heir apparent for David Silva). Real Madrid is interested in buying Sterling. Both teams value their players at £100+mm, so I wonder if there will be a straight swap for Isco and Sterling this Summer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was a brutal 20min stretch, kinda like our brutal 9min stretch last game. Fair play to Liverpool but Pep out-coached himself by putting Gundogan out wide for the first half. His halftime adjustments were good enough that we should have probably scored twice with how dominant we were in the 2nd half but Sane was having a shocker and David looked pretty off it. Oh well, on to win the league next match.

We need to keep this up in the 2nd half.  A couple more goals and the confidence will be sky high heading into Tuesday.  

Sidenote: That half was exactly why Sterling is the most frustrating player in the world to me.  He does so much so well, but he just seems to struggle with the simplest of finishes.  It’s like he is better from 20 yards out than 1 v 1 with the keeper.

Edited by IPoopOnWhoop

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...