Home generators Houston

On 2/18/2021 at 9:31 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I've seen gasoline generators that regardless of the load, they still run at full throttle burning the same amount of gas regardless of the load.  Or at least that is how they appear to run. 

Check out the info at the bottom of this spec sheet for Generacs:

http://www.generac.com/generaccorporate/media/library/content/all-products/generators/home-generators/guardian-series/14kw/generac-spec-sheet-10kw-14kw-18kw-en.pdf

• 2 months later...

Looking into this right now. Any thoughts on various brands? Generac and Kohler seem to be the big names. How is the maintenance? Any thoughts on going thru a big box store versus a local dealer?

House is 3100 sf, single A/C unit. Nothing special, just the usual fridge, freezer, lights, fans, etc. Electric ovens and dryer.

36 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Kind of a simple, puff piece on how allsome they are.  

What they didn't mention is liquid-cooled are far and away better than air-cooled generators as liquid-cooled will burn much less oil.  Checking and maintaing oil level in generators (or not doing so) is the biggest cause of generator failures.   Run it out of oil and the quarterback is toast.

Also, generators need to be fired up / cycled every 2-3 weeks or so to keep them correctly running.  A generator that sits idle for months on end will fail.  A regular cycle schedule and maintenance program are absolutely necessary.

THAT is REALLY what it is like to have a whole home generator AFTER the installation.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, mapplewhite132 said:

In 78731 and my home does not have a gasline...everything is electric. Same with my neighbors. Is a whole home generator feasible for me? I'm guessing I'd need a propane or nat gas storage tank on site as well as the generator?

From the bit of reading, I've done so far, seems like your options would be to run a gas line (probably very expensive), or get a propane tank. Lots of people out there running them from propane tanks, though, so I'd say it seems very feasible.

• Hook 'Em 1

I just got my "whole house" generator connected today.  The original quote for a 22Kw Generac was about $15K installed (gas on total opposite side of the house and would need to plumbed quite a distance and under driveway and other slab).  I went with a portable, dual fuel 12,500kw generator and it was around $1000 for the generator and another $700 for the lockout switch, 50A inlet and 20' of 50A cable plus labor.  Tested it today and can run both the 5ton and 3ton A/C's (with soft start kits), 3 fridges/freezers, multiple TV's, VSP pool pumps, WIFi and lights in every room (most with LED bulbs) in a 4,000 sq. ft. house.  Only downside is I have to manually turn the system on/off - turn off all breakers, turn off main power, plug in cable from generator to the external outlet, fire up generator with the remote, engage lockout and then turn breakers back on to areas that are needed... (I don't see drying clothes as a must have during a power outage).  Genny will mainly run on 20# propane tanks - I usually have 4 full ones on hand for the grills) and can use gasoline from the SUV's as a backup if I run out of propane - I don't want to deal with old gas and carburetor issues...  Sure it isn't instant on but I can have the whole house up and running in 3-5 minutes for a 1/7th of the cost (and can take the generator with me if I move)...  Just something to consider...

• Hook 'Em 4

34 minutes ago, Grimas said:

I just got my "whole house" generator connected today.  The original quote for a 22Kw Generac was about $15K installed (gas on total opposite side of the house and would need to plumbed quite a distance and under driveway and other slab).  I went with a portable, dual fuel 12,500kw generator and it was around $1000 for the generator and another $700 for the lockout switch, 50A inlet and 20' of 50A cable plus labor.  Tested it today and can run both the 5ton and 3ton A/C's (with soft start kits), 3 fridges/freezers, multiple TV's, VSP pool pumps, WIFi and lights in every room (most with LED bulbs) in a 4,000 sq. ft. house.  Only downside is I have to manually turn the system on/off - turn off all breakers, turn off main power, plug in cable from generator to the external outlet, fire up generator with the remote, engage lockout and then turn breakers back on to areas that are needed... (I don't see drying clothes as a must have during a power outage).  Genny will mainly run on 20# propane tanks - I usually have 4 full ones on hand for the grills) and can use gasoline from the SUV's as a backup if I run out of propane - I don't want to deal with old gas and carburetor issues...  Sure it isn't instant on but I can have the whole house up and running in 3-5 minutes for a 1/7th of the cost (and can take the generator with me if I move)...  Just something to consider...

This has crossed my mind for sure. $15k is a lot. I wouldn't have the gas access issues you do, but mine would have to be elevated for flood reasons probably a good 6' off the ground.

Where are you keeping/storing the "portable" generator? I can imagine that a 12.5kW unit is real motherfucker to move around. That and fuel supply seem to be the biggest issues with your solution. My boss keeps one in his garage and backfeeds his house through a 240V outlet with a suicide cable. That is, uh, not the preferred solution as I understand it.

I have a covered patio/bike storage area on one side of the house.  I'll just leave it there (chained down and under a roof and an extra cover)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q1DLKBG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It weighs 200# and I wouldn't want to be lifting it up into the back of my truck myself but it moves pretty easily on the wheels  if I wanted to keep it in the garage and just roll it out when needed.  I may pull the wheels off of it to keep it walking away in the middle of the night...

I went with a "proper" install as I wanted my wife/kids to be able to also get the house turned on if I'm not here.  The other thing to consider is if you want to go with a 30A or 50A connector as you can only feed a max of 7200W into a 30A connector so having a larger generator than the 30A connection can handle is a waste of $$.  As 50A connector can handle 12000W.  (More info posted on page 8 of the "Next grid failure" discussion).

Edited by Grimas
  • Hook 'Em 1

I forgot to add - a propane tank should last 8-10 hours if not on max load.  If it looks like it's going to be a longer outage like post hurricane or zombie attack, I'll probably not keep in on all the time - run for a bit to cool house down, charge of the UPS's and devices and to keep the fridges cold.  Backup plan is to siphon and use the 50+ gallons of gas in car tanks...

On 5/18/2021 at 2:01 PM, Grimas said:

THIS!

Now if money is no object spend as much as you want!  But what is the PURPOSE of the generator?  For about 90% of people it is very short term survival with a degree of comfort.  I did some research on this because my SIL and Daughter live in New Orleans and power outages will be a fact of life.  

Survival in my RV during the snowpocolypse made me consider doing the lockout.  Another reason I would almost never buy an all electric home if natural gas connection was an option geographically, is you can cook with gas.  Past that you need refrigeration for food, and a way to heat a single room.  Hurricane means you will be desperate for Air Conditioning, and that means a good deal more power.  Though as Grimes said (I know this from RV research) a soft start can shave a LOT of overall needed capacity!  

For the average person a manual cutoff and portable generator(s) would be adequate.  If I was beginning research on this I would be looking closely at buying a PAIR of generators I could link together to get me the capacity I needed.  Simply as most folks have little use for a 200 lb generator.  But you might find a lot more use for a 90 lb generator in a portable environment. Camping, tailgating, remote work with power tools, are all something you are a lot more likely to have the desire to do, than solely power up the house every other year for a few days.  Do Researching into PAIRING two smaller Kw generators, before buying a single larger capacity unit.

My journey down this path is because I already have a 3200W Champion Inverter (it can't be paired) I haul out to the deer lease but sits in my garage the rest of the time.  Last year, I lost power at home 3-4 time for a few hours and usually after about an hour, I would pull the generator out and run a bunch of extension cables into the house to power some lights, the fridges/freezer, a tv and the wifi. (I've since added UPS to my wifi so I didn't have to run the cable up the stairs to the modem/router.) 

While I have gas heat, I realized during the recent freeze that doesn't matter if you don't have electricity, the thermostats and blower don't work...

For less than $2000, I can now flip a few switches and live a bit more comfortably for a few days if needed. If it's longer than that, we'll be bugging out to stay with family in other parts of the state until power is restored...

How much of the cost was due to the plumbing required? I wouldn’t have those plumbing issues and wouldn’t need to elevate the generator either. I haven’t gotten a quote, but I was thinking it may be around 7k or 8k for me with a very similar set up to yours. After spending about 6k to repair damage from this freeze, I’m thinking it may be time to pull the trigger on something.

1 hour ago, Grimas said:

I've since added UPS to my wifi so I didn't have to run the cable up the stairs to the modem/router.

For some reason, I've never thought about doing this. I work from home 80% of the time, and if there is a short-term outage, I really am most concerned about keeping my internet connection active. Sure, I can drag out my inverter generator to get the wifi/router back up but I would prefer to only do that if the outage continues past an hour. Thanks for the suggestion.

Also, this could save me generator gasoline in an extended blackout where the inside temperature is ok at night, and the I really only need the internet connection for news, entertainment, work, etc.

Do you have any UPS recommendations? My router/modem are 2 devices so I imagine I would want something to rated to run 1 device up to 5+ hours.

3 hours ago, Hate said:

How much of the cost was due to the plumbing required? I wouldn’t have those plumbing issues and wouldn’t need to elevate the generator either. I haven’t gotten a quote, but I was thinking it may be around 7k or 8k for me with a very similar set up to yours. After spending about 6k to repair damage from this freeze, I’m thinking it may be time to pull the trigger on something.

No plumbing needed on the current setup as I just use propane tanks.  The estimated $15k cost of the big Generac was something like $7k for the unit and another 7K for the pad, the transfer switch, running about 300' of plumbing as the gas main is on the other side of the house from the electrical panel and the install. Neighbors without the same gas issue have been paying 10-11k for there cast including install.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

For some reason, I've never thought about doing this. I work from home 80% of the time, and if there is a short-term outage, I really am most concerned about keeping my internet connection active. Sure, I can drag out my inverter generator to get the wifi/router back up but I would prefer to only do that if the outage continues past an hour. Thanks for the suggestion.

Also, this could save me generator gasoline in an extended blackout where the inside temperature is ok at night, and the I really only need the internet connection for news, entertainment, work, etc.

Do you have any UPS recommendations? My router/modem are 2 devices so I imagine I would want something to rated to run 1 device up to 5+ hours.

I got 2 of these off Amazon - $60/each  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FWAZEIU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My modem and router don't use much energy and I think I got 4-5 hours out of it before the battery died.

Bought a 9500 watt Westinghouse dual fuel generator, a 15' power cord  and had a 50A transfer switch installed next to the electric panel. Total cost about $2500. Will run everything downstairs, including two refrigerators and the A/C or heater as needed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tokamak said:

I'd like to hear more about these A/C soft start kits. Never heard of that before. Do you need an electrician to install it? Does it have any effect on the operation of the A/C unit?

Have you heard your outside condenser make a large noise when it turns on?  This the the "hard start" that sucks a lot of energy to get the unit going.  Once it starts, the load drops off.  The soft start basically ramps up the power draw until the compressor kicks in and thus you don't get this "peak load".  I had my A/C guy install it when I had my bi-annual service call for 150-200.  I had it installed a few years ago as it's supposed to lengthen the life of your compressor.

Not having these on your A/C is one reason they tell you to set your A/C down to 60 when you are running on the generator to keep it from cycling on and off and getting the power draw every time.

Edited by Grimas

• 1 year later...

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/generac-guardian-series-22kw-195kw-air-cooled-home-standby-generator-with-whole-house-200-amp-transfer-switch-non-cul?cm_vc=-10011

Is this a good deal?? I’m looking at pulling the trigger if I can convince my wife. She’s from Dallas and has never had to live through an “Ike”

1 hour ago, Honeysucklerose said:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/generac-guardian-series-22kw-195kw-air-cooled-home-standby-generator-with-whole-house-200-amp-transfer-switch-non-cul?cm_vc=-10011

Is this a good deal?? I’m looking at pulling the trigger if I can convince my wife. She’s from Dallas and has never had to live through an “Ike”

How are you planning on installing it? The installation is the big part of the job.

I'm in the process of getting the 26kw installed.  The generator and install is going to be about $13,000.  However, I also had to install a propane tank (kind of out in the country, though not as far as I used to be) to the tune of another $7,000 after trenching a line and the tank and fuel itself.  Hopefully, it's just a very expensive insurance policy, but last year, in a 6 month period, we lost power 13 times for longer than 30 minutes.

I think there is something wrong with that spec sheet on the tractor supply website.  I'm not familiar with a Generac that runs on gasoline.  Are you planning on running propane or natural gas?  Just be aware that running natural gas results in about 85% of the amperage than running propane. 

6 minutes ago, Catpfish said:

I'm in the process of getting the 26kw installed.  The generator and install is going to be about $13,000.  However, I also had to install a propane tank (kind of out in the country, though not as far as I used to be) to the tune of another $7,000 after trenching a line and the tank and fuel itself.  Hopefully, it's just a very expensive insurance policy, but last year, in a 6 month period, we lost power 13 times for longer than 30 minutes.

I think there is something wrong with that spec sheet on the tractor supply website.  I'm not familiar with a Generac that runs on gasoline.  Are you planning on running propane or natural gas?  Just be aware that running natural gas results in about 85% of the amperage than running propane. 

26kw is a lot of power. What are you powering if you don't mind me asking? 

26 minutes ago, Catpfish said:

Just be aware that running natural gas results in about 85% of the amperage than running propane. 

FWIW, I've been told by several installers that Generac is really bad about this. Kohler supposedly doesn't take this kind of penalty on NG. 

1 hour ago, Catpfish said:

My understanding is that $13k for 26kw installed is a great price in this day and age. Where are you located and who are you using for the install?

I'm in the Austin area and I got a quote for a 26kw Generac installed for $18k a few months ago.  They wanted half upfront and there is a 10 month waiting list for installs.  No way am i going to give someone $9k upfront and hope for the best.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, obigbo said:

I'm in the Austin area and I got a quote for a 26kw Generac installed for $18k a few months ago.  They wanted half upfront and there is a 10 month waiting list for installs.  No way am i going to give someone $9k upfront and hope for the best.

I'm just east of Pflugerville.  I just checked, my quote was $13,840 and they delivered the unit within a couple of days of signing (Joe told me that they had units in stock) the bid so that I could have the propane tank installed.  The quote is turnkey on the generator side, so it includes all electrical and startup.  The total time from signing to fully functioning will be about 3.5 weeks.

The bid was from Capital Power Systems.  The owner is Joe Rizzo and he's been a great guy to work with.  He did want half up front, but with that quick of a turnaround, I was fine with that.  I think he wants half up front because the unit is dropped off early in the process so that the gas can be plumbed in as quickly as possible.  After that, the electrician comes and does his thing with the transfer switch/wiring.

Edited by Catpfish
Additional information added

9 minutes ago, Catpfish said:

3400 square foot house that is all electric.  We won't be able to completely power everything (ovens and such), but we'll be able to manage any crisis.

Sorry to quote myself, but I wanted to add more to this.  99% of the lights in the house are LED, so there is not much drain there.  My biggest concern is being able to keep the pool pumps running during a freeze.  I lost all of the equipment in Snowmageddon, the total for just pool equipment was about $9,000 (electric heat pump for heating/cooling the pool was the biggest expense).  The house is spray foamed and we have a fireplace that will allow one AC unit to maintain things in the somewhat comfortable range during the winter.  Should be able to operate more normally if power lost during the summer.

44 minutes ago, Catpfish said:

3400 square foot house that is all electric.  We won't be able to completely power everything (ovens and such), but we'll be able to manage any crisis.

I'm in a 3400sf house and our 22kw Kohler can easily power the entire home. We do have gas range, clothes dryer, heat and hot water so maybe that's the difference. 26kw is a lot of juice.

To each their own, but I feel some of these whole-house generators are over mitigating a risk. The risk = some inconvenience and potential harm in the case of a pool pump failing in a freeze.  Couldn't the harm be mitigated through insurance. And while the inconvenience has definitely turned deadly for some that is a very small risk. 

Of course, on the other hand I have a friend and his wife who threaten to call their lawyer when their power goes out for 30 minutes. They never call anyone. For most people and situations, the power going out isn't a big deal. 

Buy an inverter generator for $400, a window AC/heat unit for $500.  When an emergency comes, just move into one bedroom.  

Everything you said is true, but it just comes down to how each of us prioritize things. We live in Houston so in addition to concerns about the grid taking another dump, we have tropical weather to worry about. My wife and I don't want to be miserable in our own home so having a whole home generator provides us with peace of mind that when the power fails we can be toasty or cool, depending on the season, and not be miserable. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, royiv said:

Everything you said is true, but it just comes down to how each of us prioritize things. We live in Houston so in addition to concerns about the grid taking another dump, we have tropical weather to worry about. My wife and I don't want to be miserable in our own home so having a whole home generator provides us with peace of mind that when the power fails we can be toasty or cool, depending on the season, and not be miserable. 

I'm in Houston too but single. I don't fault anyone for doing what they think is best. Just giving my 2 cents on the subject. I've been in the same house for 20 years and I had one episode where power was out for a week. Hurricane Ike.

39 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm in Houston too but single. I don't fault anyone for doing what they think is best. Just giving my 2 cents on the subject. I've been in the same house for 20 years and I had one episode where power was out for a week. Hurricane Ike.

It’s a luxury item, no doubt. You’re approaching it from a risk mitigation standpoint. My wife and I look at it differently. It’s very nice to have, but obviously not a must have.

• Hook 'Em 1

Pool pump hell, I had several friends who lost ceilings and flooded rooms during the feb ‘21 deal.  Lots lost pool equipment too, but fuck having your living room roof come down and then ruin your floors.  We are going to get the switch installed. I’ve got welding machines and gensets at the yard I can grab at any time, as none of my owned generators are big (small inverter and old school 4500) 

• Hook 'Em 1