Post a pic that makes you say "Holy shit."

Born Burnt

14 hours ago, Netzer said:

Mt. Lemmon, Tucson, AZ.

I lived in Oak Hill for a couple of years and commuted to school/work by bicycle. Road home every night around 2 a.m. after a long shift of  flipping burgers.

One night, racing down a steep hill on William Cannon, I sideswiped a fairly large buck. Neither of us saw the other until it was too late. Remarkable, really, that there was no apparent damage to the deer, Walden, or the bike.

That neighborhood is all developed now, so I doubt that would happen anymore.

3 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I lived in Oak Hill for a couple of years and commuted to school/work by bicycle. Road home every night around 2 a.m. after a long shift of  flipping burgers.

One night, racing down a steep hill on William Cannon, I sideswiped a fairly large buck. Neither of us saw the other until it was too late. Remarkable, really, that there was no apparent damage to the deer, Walden, or the bike.

That neighborhood is all developed now, so I doubt that would happen anymore.

Years ago I was riding my Harley home late one night. I was definitely an overconfident rider. I had the throttle set at 70 and my hands off the handlebars, feet on the forward pegs just leaning back and steering by shifting my weight trying to stay on the white shoulder stripe. Then, WHOOSH! I felt a gust of air that freaked me out. I grabbed the bars, stopped as fast as I could and turned around to see wtf it was. My headlight spotted a black angus cow that weighed 7-800lbs standing across the white line. I missed her by an rch. If I had been a second or so later I would have been Hamburger Helper.

14 hours ago, Netzer said:

Oh yeah, how about running?

If that bear wanted his ass, running would not have helped.  LOLz at the repeated looks over the shoulder after leaving the immediate scene.

Bears should run pick play on hikers at the end of the trail after they run and think they're safe.  One scares them at the top of the hill and the other eats them at the river.

7 hours ago, Parliament said:

So if a bear starts to fuck with you, what's your play? Fight back and fight DIRTY?

I'm probably gonna run and hope the bear decides not to play.  The point remains, no man is outrunning the bear, who is capable of a 3 second 40 yard dash.. The experts tell us not to run from the bear...but instinct is a bitch.  The best you could hope for is to find shelter, a crevasse, or something.

The repeated looks over the shoulder are what was funny to me in the video.  If the bear wanted him, the pursuit would have already been over.

Edited by slorch

14 hours ago, Parliament said:

So if a bear starts to fuck with you, what's your play? Fight back and fight DIRTY?

The Art of Manliness has a few words to say on the subject. Basically, 1) carry bear-strength pepper spray; 2) don't bother running; 3) if it's a grizzly, and the spray doesn't work, drop, play dead, and say a few final words to the Almighty. If it's a black bear, and the spray doesn't work, fight back, because even though the odds are still against you, at least they are not overwhelmingly against you like they are with a grizzly.

I was backpacking in the Colorado wilderness with my young son last summer. Hung the food from a high tree branch away from the tent, no food in the tent, yada yada yada, but no matter...the black bear just shimmied up and broke the limb off the tree. Pretty interesting moment in life to be standing next to your son, looking at an adult black bear in the eyes from about 50 feet away, knowing that if it was so inclined it'd take us out without half-trying. /csb