Post a pic that makes you say "Holy shit."

Born Burnt

57 minutes ago, Goredho said:

My wife and I went on a trip to Portugal with her cousin and her husband maybe 8 or 9 years ago.  On the last full day, we were trying to decide what to do, and I was like, well, we could go to Nazaré and see if anyone is surfing the big waves.  No one knew what I was talking about, so I pulled up some vids.  The other husband was like, "Dude, we have to go!"  I had just paid for lunch, so he said he'd pay for the taxi to Nazaré.

We flagged down a taxi with an english speaking driver, and asked how far away Nazaré was and if he would drive us.  He said 20 minutes and sure.  We got in, and he started driving.  Once on the outskirts of Lisbon, he sped up.  I looked at the speedometer, and he was driving 150kmh.  The wives were clutching the door handles and scared shitless.  20 minutes pass by.  Then 40.  Are we almost there?  Yes, very close, just a few more minutes.  Cousin's husband shows me his phone.  Its 121 kilometers from Lisbon to Portugal.  An hour and 30 minute drive.  I just start laughing.

Just under an hour after setting out, we pull into Nazaré.  The cabbie said the fare was $300.  Cousin's husband began arguing, and eventually the cabbie says for $300 and a meal, he'll show us around and take us back to Lisbon for free.  I agreed to chip in half.

We went down to the beach in the town, and the waves were bigger and more powerful than any I had seen, but not nearly as big as you see in these videos.  We walked the shore, a bit disappointed with what the $300 had gotten us.  Cousin's husband made some comment about it being underwhelming, which prompted the cabbie-turned-tour-guide to tell us that every once in awhile, someone is walking along the shore just like we were when a big wave comes in and they get swept away to their death.  Just walking where your feet occasionally get touched by water as a wave comes in.  We called bullshit, but he pulled this story up on his phone to prove his point

But these aren't the big waves, he said.  This is just the safe city beach.  He pointed right, to a cliff point with a fort and lighthouse on it. The one that you see in this video and in the pic below.  The big waves are over there, on the other side of Forte de São Miguel Arcanjo.  We're like take us there, bundão, we want to see the big waves.  He insisted on his meal first, so we went back to the beach shops and looked around while he ate. 

After he was finished, he drove us up to the fort and we went out to the lighthouse and got to see these waves.  As crazy as these pictures and videos are, they do not capture how massive, powerful and LOUD these waves are.  And they just kept coming in, one after the other.  It seemed like the hills around the Highway 360 bridge were rolling in and exploding into the shore.  No one was surfing, and we asked the cabbie about it.  Wrong time of year.  It was August, and the really big waves are only around in the winter -- October through March.

It was the most awesome display of natural power I've ever witnessed.  I cannot imagine the cojones required to get towed on your surf board out into one of these waves by a jet ski.

nazare1.jpg

There’s a 6 episode Netflix series called 100 Foot Wave about one of the first surfers to surf that area. I watched part of it, but still need to finish. It also goes into some of the science of how the waves form due to the sea floor there. I would love to see those waves in person 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Hammerin Hank said:

There’s a 6 episode Netflix series called 100 Foot Wave about one of the first surfers to surf that area. I watched part of it, but still need to finish. It also goes into some of the science of how the waves form due to the sea floor there. I would love to see those waves in person 

Yeah, it was a total lark.  What do we do on the last day after we've seen all the stuff in the tourist blogs?  But that day wound up being a highlight of the trip.  Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to check that out.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Goredho said:

My wife and I went on a trip to Portugal with her cousin and her husband maybe 8 or 9 years ago.  On the last full day, we were trying to decide what to do, and I was like, well, we could go to Nazaré and see if anyone is surfing the big waves.  No one knew what I was talking about, so I pulled up some vids.  The other husband was like, "Dude, we have to go!"  I had just paid for lunch, so he said he'd pay for the taxi to Nazaré.

We flagged down a taxi with an english speaking driver, and asked how far away Nazaré was and if he would drive us.  He said 20 minutes and sure.  We got in, and he started driving.  Once on the outskirts of Lisbon, he sped up.  I looked at the speedometer, and he was driving 150kmh.  The wives were clutching the door handles and scared shitless.  20 minutes pass by.  Then 40.  Are we almost there?  Yes, very close, just a few more minutes.  Cousin's husband shows me his phone.  Its 121 kilometers from Lisbon to Portugal.  An hour and 30 minute drive.  I just start laughing.

Just under an hour after setting out, we pull into Nazaré.  The cabbie said the fare was $300.  Cousin's husband began arguing, and eventually the cabbie says for $300 and a meal, he'll show us around and take us back to Lisbon for free.  I agreed to chip in half.

We went down to the beach in the town, and the waves were bigger and more powerful than any I had seen, but not nearly as big as you see in these videos.  We walked the shore, a bit disappointed with what the $300 had gotten us.  Cousin's husband made some comment about it being underwhelming, which prompted the cabbie-turned-tour-guide to tell us that every once in awhile, someone is walking along the shore just like we were when a big wave comes in and they get swept away to their death.  Just walking where your feet occasionally get touched by water as a wave comes in.  We called bullshit, but he pulled this story up on his phone to prove his point

But these aren't the big waves, he said.  This is just the safe city beach.  He pointed right, to a cliff point with a fort and lighthouse on it. The one that you see in this video and in the pic below.  The big waves are over there, on the other side of Forte de São Miguel Arcanjo.  We're like take us there, bundão, we want to see the big waves.  He insisted on his meal first, so we went back to the beach shops and looked around while he ate. 

After he was finished, he drove us up to the fort and we went out to the lighthouse and got to see these waves.  As crazy as these pictures and videos are, they do not capture how massive, powerful and LOUD these waves are.  And they just kept coming in, one after the other.  It seemed like the hills around the Highway 360 bridge were rolling in and exploding into the shore.  No one was surfing, and we asked the cabbie about it.  Wrong time of year.  It was August, and the really big waves are only around in the winter -- October through March.

It was the most awesome display of natural power I've ever witnessed.  I cannot imagine the cojones required to get towed on your surf board out into one of these waves by a jet ski.

nazare1.jpg

great post

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Hammerin Hank said:

It's an HBO series.