Favorite torchy's taco

Tap

• 1 month later...
55 minutes ago, Deej said:

New employee who moved here from Arkansas:

"We ate at Torchy's last night. The Mexican food here is amazing."

Eh, he's not wrong.  Even Austin gringo tacos are 1000x better than anything from Arkansas.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Torchy's is in no way an authentic taqueria, but that doesn't mean it's not good. Just like I enjoy a good chicken parm, or some general tso's, even though those aren't authentic, I enjoy Torchy's. And I'm the first to confess to being a food snob. 

Edited by Mo Horn

16 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

Ok. Guess this not the place to go. 

I haven't regularly ate there in awhile, but from what I can recall: the trailer park trashy is a staple. I also like the crossroads and brushfire (if you like spicy food).

Their chips and queso is legit. 

That's all I got. 

And yeah - it isn't like some substitute for authentic street tacos. It's its own thing. 

Edited by ztejas

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

I haven't regularly ate there in awhile, but from what I can recall: the trailer park trashy is a staple. I also like the crossroads and brushfire (if you like spicy food).

Their chips and queso is legit. 

That's all I got. 

And yeah - it isn't like some substitute for authentic street tacos. It's its own thing. 

I don't think Chipotle is some substitute for real Mexican but I still really like it. 

42 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

I don't think Chipotle is some substitute for real Mexican but I still really like it. 

41 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Then you will probably like Torchy's

Download the app and sign up for rewards

Lol. Yeah. It's way fucking better than Chipotle.

15 hours ago, Butch Had Not said:

They have arrived here in Phoenix. 

Any hacks and advice for a newb?

Go with the understanding that you're getting "hipster whiteboi" tacos at an inflated price.  The queso is good to quite good; a must-try. The Baja Shrimp, Brushfire, and Green Chile Pork are usually solid, as are the breakfast tacos (chorizo and bacon) which run a few $ less.  As noted above, their tortillas suck; think Mission tortillas straight out of the bag. 

If this:

13 hours ago, Butch Had Not said:

Then this:

13 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

• Like 1

Torchy's makes some tasty fillings.  They're not traditional interior Mexican street tacos, but why would they need to be?  Sometimes they get a little overzealous on the total number of ingredients within a taco, but sometimes that also works out surprisingly well.

Their store-bought tortillas are definitely a weak link.

Trailer park hillbilly style, Democrat, Fried Avocado, all worth a try. Chips and queso some of the best around. I always get flour tortillas and they are fine, but as others have said would be better freshly made. The poblano ranch will make any of their tacos better as well.

Torchy's is adequate when you're on your way somewhere and need to grab some food quick but don't want a drive-thru.  It's not a place I'd pre-plan a meal at on purpose.  The torillas are garbage but I can deal with it if the alternative is fast food.   Baja shrimp is my go-to.  It's not really good but it's good enough.  Queso is where their menu peaks.  

On 8/23/2022 at 7:44 PM, Mo Horn said:

If you go fairly frequently definitely sign up for rewards. They give you free stuff periodically although there's no point system so you have no idea when you're about to get something. 

Our office chooses it for lunch fairly frequently so I'm placing orders for about 16 people at a time. I get free TOM, tacos, sides, queso every month and they've sent me a couple of shirts with the little devil on them. 

• 3 weeks later...

October TOTM - New - The Raj
TheRaj_Launch_02.jpg
TheRaj_Launch_03.jpg
TheRaj_Launch_04.jpg

The vegetarian version of this slammed and went extra hard last night while the Horns did the same to WVU. I'm sure the chicken will be just as good.

And mangos+raita make the taco...the only reason I can fathom substituting is allergies.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Naughty Santa back for December TOTM

One of my girls is home sick with me today. She wanted Torchy’s. I usually get one taco and some queso because most of their tacos suck. I saw this ad as we walked in. I was intrigued. But it was a mistake. It wasn’t garbage but it wasn’t good. I need to get immamac to make this thread disappear for me. Y’all are nuts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really wanted - no, needed - tacos this morning after church. Velvet taco wasn’t open yet and the marathon bullshit kept me from getting to the Torchys on San Felipe, so we hoofed it over to the one of Gessner. Maybe it’s just that location, as I haven’t been to torchys in a good while, but holy shit they had actual good tortillas. Flour and corn were all handmade and not their usual Mission brand bullshit. Is this a new development across the board or is this location getting their tortillas from the HEB across the street?