Frats At UT Today

MaybeACoordinator

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

PhD do you mean your son's paying $1,000 / month per person for those 4 person units?

Yes.  And that's about in the 40th percentile of what you can pay for those newer places.  This one's about 3 years old.  But he loves it.

5 hours ago, phdhorn said:

There have been, but man not to this degree as I see it.  You could always find a nice old 3-story among the elites. Now it's almost built out completely.  At least in my take.  Maybe it's been longer than I imagine, but it always was a place you could find decently priced, if not older, lodging.  It's almost impossible now.

Oh, BTW, my kid said that Jester (West) was ok last year, but a bunch of really, really weird loner losers there now.  Again I think that reflects the Top 10% thing... "normal" people less in favor of super-duper-6.0-on-a-scale-of-4 autistic, narrow savant-like Super Academics with no social skills.  He said he's glad he did it but for the most part he felt like he was in some weird academic summer camp or something.   He said that San Jac is now the "normal" dorm (athletes stay there) but he's glad he experienced Jester.

I had a sad... Jester is now Dweeb City?

I mean, Jester is huge. It’s kind of silly to think the entire thing is inhabited by weird, loner types. I think almost anyone can find a niche there. 

Just now, SubliminalHorn said:

I mean, Jester is huge. It’s kind of silly to think the entire thing is inhabited by weird, loner types. I think almost anyone can find a niche there. 

Yes, and I don't want to paint everyone there with one brush, but I've heard that a lot of it is like what my kid experienced (lots of weird loners who seem to have been kind of babied by mom and dad).  Could have been his floor or wing and certainly there were no doubt coll places.  But even his floor meetings he said were a lot of weird people.  

My guess is that indeed the nature of Jester has changed since the greater exclusivity in admission.

On 8/24/2018 at 12:40 PM, TexasBeta said:

How do you like my old house....and I'm an idiot - the ATO's  have our old house. 

Trying to figure out who you are.  Lat must know.

Whoever said Phi Psis were creepers... accurate.  Odd bunch that often lost their couches to spontaneous combustion.

On 8/24/2018 at 12:49 PM, TexasBeta said:

Top 10%, 9%, 8% or whatever it is today has killed the greek community. The primary big high schools like HP, Westlake, Memorial, Alamo Heights just don't send their kids to UT like they use to. I don't know how the fraternities are surviving really. 

We had 120 actives when I was at UT and almost every other fraternity had the same. I would guess 30% of the UT student population was greek in the 80's - I doubt it's 10% now.

Not sure if they did this back then but UT frats do accept ACC students now.

In fact, I've heard a few of them are nearly 50% ACC students now.

Jr. just told me that he's aiming to join the Tejas Club.  Not a pure frat per se, but I've always liked those guys (i spoke at one of their weekly roundtables).  They have a bitchin' house.

Anyone here a former Tejas Club member?  Do they make you drink liquid shit and pureed pus or something?  Do you have to fuck your hallmate in the ass?  Anyway, I'm for him being in that and would pay the dues.

Edit: To clarify, I'm all for him being in Tejas, not being in his hallmate's ass.  But hey, he's 19, it's his life, it's his ship now, his command. He's in charge, the boss, the head man, top dog, big cheese, a head honcho, number...

Edited by phdhorn

18 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Jr. just told me that he's aiming to join the Tejas Club.  Not a pure frat per se, but I've always liked those guys (i spoke at one of their weekly roundtables).  They have a bitchin' house.

Anyone here a former Tejas Club member?  Do they make you drink liquid shit and pureed pus or something?  Do you have to fuck your hallmate in the ass?  Anyway, I'm for him being in that and would pay the dues.

Edit: To clarify, I'm all for him being in Tejas, not being in his hallmate's ass.  But hey, he's 19, it's his life, it's his ship now, his command. He's in charge, the boss, the head man, top dog, big cheese, a head honcho, number...

Are Tejas the guys who get dressed in Wimbeldon white and play a protracted game of croquet on their lawn the first day of Spring or something equally queer? I never understood the whole pomp and circumstance of that whole thing if so. I thought they were a student group or something, were they more akin to a social club?

Edited by Guest

12 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Are Tejas the guys who get dressed in Wimbeldon white and play a protracted game of croquet on their lawn the first day of Spring or something equally queer? I never understood the whole pomp and circumstance of that whole thing if so. I thought they were a student group or something, were they more akin to a social club?

DId you have a brain tumor for breakfast?  Wtf is wrong with a little croquet?

28 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

DId you have a brain tumor for breakfast?  Wtf is wrong with a little croquet?

Sorry, didn't realize you were Tejas. Party on, croquet dude!

Of course I've played croquet and it's fine for a lawn game; the idea of making it your centerpiece with the faux pomp and circumstance surrounding a Saudi Arabian magnate game of polo complete with coordinating and planned outfits seems a bit much, but ya, sure, it's just me and my brain tumor sugar O's.

4 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Of course I've played croquet and it's fine for a lawn game; the idea of making it your centerpiece with the faux pomp and circumstance surrounding a Saudi Arabian magnate game of polo complete with coordinating and planned outfits seems a bit much, but ya, sure, it's just me and my brain tumor sugar O's.

It's a tongue in cheek thing.  I have no problem with it.  Particularly post-Heathers.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 hour ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

It was def a social club.  I went to that party every year of college.  Though by the time I left UT (2010), it was on the verge of becoming Gay-jas.  So phdhorn, your kid might be a closet banana crammer.

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It was def a social club.  I went to that party every year of college.  Though by the time I left UT (2010), it was on the verge of becoming Gay-jas.  So phdhorn, your kid might be a closet banana crammer.

That's the vibe I got from that place too, a decade earlier.

Not sure if they did this back then but UT frats do accept ACC students now.

In fact, I've heard a few of them are nearly 50% ACC students now.

That's been going on for years with some of the frats. That's what got the SAEs in trouble. They've been doing it for years (though most of them got into UT after a year at ACC) and an alum recently complained about it and then other stuff was discovered which led to the charter being revoked.

I was never in a UT fraternity but I've been fairly close to UT for 20+ years now...and I had no idea that UT "frats" take in that many community college students.  I don't understand how that works in terms of their national chapters.  

Our babysitter (no pics) just went off to UT. She’s going thru rush and keeps calling my wife (no pics). She didn’t get the ones she wants and was considering bailing from Texas altogether. WTF! I had to coach my wife what to say to this girl so she wouldn’t bail to aggy where all her dumbass friends went. She’s doing the right thing. She just doesn’t realize it yet. Hell, school hasn’t even started yet. She finds out tonight if she gets the one we all decided she should go with. Poor girl barely missed making Pom earlier this summer to boot. If she had that this would be a lot easier.

No clue where her mom is on this one. My wife got really close to this girl over the last year and I guess I had some drunk conversations about how awesome Texas is.

Disclosure: wife didn’t go to Texas

5 minutes ago, kmac30 said:

Our babysitter (no pics) just went off to UT. She’s going thru rush and keeps calling my wife (no pics). She didn’t get the ones she wants and was considering bailing from Texas altogether. WTF! I had to coach my wife what to say to this girl so she wouldn’t bail to aggy where all her dumbass friends went. She’s doing the right thing. She just doesn’t realize it yet. Hell, school hasn’t even started yet. She finds out tonight if she gets the one we all decided she should go with. Poor girl barely missed making Pom earlier this summer to boot. If she had that this would be a lot easier.

No clue where her mom is on this one. My wife got really close to this girl over the last year and I guess I had some drunk conversations about how awesome Texas is.

Disclosure: wife didn’t go to Texas

Sorority rush kind of be that way.  However, completely getting shut out of "ones she wants" may speak to a lack of self-awareness. And wanting to bail an entire university because of rush not turning out "well," speaks to a whole other lack of something, namely perspective.

How did a gal like this get into Texas in the first place?

She’s sheltered. Smart girl, just a little clue less about some things in life. I was surprised she was dropped by the one she wanted. She’s a cute girl, was head cheerleader. She’s a goodie goodie.

She got into UT because she was top 3%.

If I can find a pic of her I can post I will.

5 minutes ago, kmac30 said:

She’s sheltered. Smart girl, just a little clue less about some things in life. I was surprised she was dropped by the one she wanted. She’s a cute girl, was head cheerleader. She’s a goodie goodie.

so you have pictures of her that you cant post?  you had my curiosity....

• Like 1

I feel like the increased admissions standards at UT nowadays have sent a lot of normal middle to upper middle class sports fans to aggy or Tech when they would've gone to UT in the past. I guess it could be worse though. After all, we could've embraced becoming an increasingly average degree mill like aggy has embraced so heavily. I'd say that's aggy's rightful role since so many of their students' career aspirations are middle management at somewhere like Exxon. 

On 8/26/2018 at 9:09 AM, Surly Bevo said:

The Jester and other comments about the top 10% are interesting....as we work to promote diversity (socio-economic background, etc) are we actually ending up with other singularities (personality types, etc).  Maybe, maybe not. Obviously anecdotal comments don't prove jack shit, but you hear these kinds of comments a lot from students and parents of students at UT these days...even from some of them who have the loner, dork savant who they were hoping would be rounded by the college experience.

Moved my daughter (no pics) into Jester East on Saturday.  My completely non scientific assessment was that it looked a lot like the United Nations.  All colors represented.  

1 hour ago, kmac30 said:

Top 6 sorority is a combination of hotness, money, popularity, perceived virtue, connections and more connections and/or money.  A deficit in any one area drops a rung.  In any two, and you may be out of the top six.

10 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Older brothers of a girl I dated were both presidents of Tejas.  Knew a few other guys that were in the club as well.  They are all smart, driven guys across the board.  It is my understanding that there are plenty of gays now, nttawwt.  They kinda always did give me aggy vibes in the sense that there are some dorky, try hard types.  All in all, high caliber individuals though and your son could do much worse in picking an org.

17 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Older brothers of a girl I dated were both presidents of Tejas.  Knew a few other guys that were in the club as well.  They are all smart, driven guys across the board.  It is my understanding that there are plenty of gays now, nttawwt.  They kinda always did give me aggy vibes in the sense that there are some dorky, try hard types.  All in all, high caliber individuals though and your son could do much worse in picking an org.

Thx.  Yeah, it probably has a few dorks but you get that with achievers.  He says that they require (if not officially, practically) you to be a high-up in some organization or demonstrate some type of leadership.  He's involved in 2 orgs that probably meet that criteria.

As for the gay thing, I dunno if that's true, but if so, he'd almost certainly know about it and wouldn't care.   Plus it'd be good for him to be involved in an org where he gets to meet different types than him, including gays, and be involved in everyday activities or projects, etc.   He just said the other day he decided not to pledge, which means he pretty much won't be a frat guy at UT.  He almost did but decided that his orgs and maybe later Tejas would do it for him.  Good, he's making his own choices (plus he has a good number of friends in frats as it is).

Thx.  Yeah, it probably has a few dorks but you get that with achievers.  He says that they require (if not officially, practically) you to be a high-up in some organization or demonstrate some type of leadership.  He's involved in 2 orgs that probably meet that criteria.

As for the gay thing, I dunno if that's true, but if so, he'd almost certainly know about it and wouldn't care.   Plus it'd be good for him to be involved in an org where he gets to meet different types than him, including gays, and be involved in everyday activities or projects, etc.   He just said the other day he decided not to pledge, which means he pretty much won't be a frat guy at UT.  He almost did but decided that his orgs and maybe later Tejas would do it for him.  Good, he's making his own choices (plus he has a good number of friends in frats as it is).

Sounds about right re- the leadership requirement. Tejas guys were always heavily involved with student government. To your point, it is a bunch of achievers and I’m sure the connections made from within that group would serve him as well as just about any other org.

Just curious, what other orgs is he involved with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Sounds about right re- the leadership requirement. Tejas guys were always heavily involved with student government. To your point, it is a bunch of achievers and I’m sure the connections made from within that group would serve him as well as just about any other org.

Just curious, what other orgs is he involved with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAE(?) (not the frat, I think Automotive Engineers) and Camp Texas (man he really loves being involved with that).

Edited by phdhorn

You just described a girl who has never been rejected by anyone or any club in her life. It’s hard for her to process I bet.

You just described a girl who has never been rejected by anyone or any club in her life. It’s hard for her to process I bet.

This probably has some truth to it. Like I mentioned, she didn’t make Pom this spring. Made the final day. That was tough on her but she handled it well.

The one she wanted wasn’t top 6. She ended up OK and I think she’s going to be happy.

14 minutes ago, kmac30 said:

This probably has some truth to it. Like I mentioned, she didn’t make Pom this spring. Made the final day. That was tough on her but she handled it well.

The one she wanted wasn’t top 6. She ended up OK and I think she’s going to be happy.

Cutest Monsters on campus.