Frats At UT Today

MaybeACoordinator

Our babysitter (no pics) just went off to UT. She’s going thru rush and keeps calling my wife (no pics). She didn’t get the ones she wants and was considering bailing from Texas altogether. WTF! I had to coach my wife what to say to this girl so she wouldn’t bail to aggy where all her dumbass friends went. She’s doing the right thing. She just doesn’t realize it yet. Hell, school hasn’t even started yet. She finds out tonight if she gets the one we all decided she should go with. Poor girl barely missed making Pom earlier this summer to boot. If she had that this would be a lot easier.

No clue where her mom is on this one. My wife got really close to this girl over the last year and I guess I had some drunk conversations about how awesome Texas is.

Disclosure: wife didn’t go to Texas

This happens all the time. Happened in my day (early 80's). Sorority rush is serious business for the girls and moms. I've known several girls who dropped rush and/or left UT because it didn't go well. One big difference in the last 30 years is that the sorority alums (the moms) don't control it like in my day. Now days, a slutty girl can get in (most of Surly would approve) but a nice girl can get cut if the girls a grade ahead of her don't like her.

11 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

One of the major things with rush,. alluded to with "connections," is having gone to a high school that is well-represented in the sorority already.  Without that, it can be tough.

Pretty much impossible, the vast majority of the pledge class is already somewhat allocated to legacies/siblings/HS friends by the time rush begins. My wife was a Chi O and I had to deal with her complaining all the time around this time of the year. 

I forget how this was always the dead time of the year, with all the girls tied up for rush. Nothing to do but hang out at abel’s and try and get the rushees from Hardin to talk to you as they walked down Rio Grande. 

• Like 1

Was on campus over the weekend and heading back there today to meet with my department head.  Saw the whole rush bullshit happening in real time.  And then reading this thread.  Proudly raising a 3-year old daughter and am so happy we'll never have to deal with this bullshit.  I didn't realize girls get so worked up about rush (and their moms), that they actually leave the opportunity behind to get a degree from the University of Texas.  What a fucked up way to approach life.  And that half the fraternities on campus are comprised of ACC students. Da fuh?  Basically these houses stand as little safe spaces away from the real world, is that what I'm gathering here?  

1 hour ago, lateshow said:

Are you a fraternity man? 

Yes, a KA. Never been asked that over type, the inflection doesn't translate to written word.

I just find the whole thing hilarious this girl went and ranked the frats. Depends on if shes a 5 or if she is a 8 how much attention she will get at the various frats, and how she is treated, and essentially how much she likes the frats. Plus, she said she knew the least about KA (meaning she's never been there or met anyone in KA) and just repeated gossipy nonsense she read in the newspaper about KA having to change to Omicron until the bad apples graduated. As if that would have any effect on how good the fraternity is.

I guess I like to play it safe, I always whistle dixie around normal folk instead of singing.

Recently I went to aggy, and they were having an odd rush event with a dj in a field surrounded by the different frats. The KAs there seemed to be similar to the ones at Texas. All the fraternities had large tents setup and lots of organization.

The KA tent was a pathetic 12x12 one bought at academy and zero organization.. Still, it had the biggest crowd, baking in that concrete heat island effect shithole that is college station. 

I find it hilarious they say KA is supposed to have a military-like organization structure, when I was there it was the blind leading the blind. The good part was everyone had the same type of focus, we rage and have fun and it all works out in the end.

Edited by Zavala

17 hours ago, BottleRocket said:

I like how she says that her list is in "no particular order" and then proceeds to rank them in order.  

Dick size of the poor sucker that helped her get home. 

19 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Ooh. Ahh.  Kappa alpha.  Ooh. Ahh.

giphy.gif

23 hours ago, Zavala said:

I guess I like to play it safe, I always whistle dixie around normal folk instead of singing.

Recently I went to aggy, and they were having an odd rush event with a dj in a field surrounded by the different frats. The KAs there seemed to be similar to the ones at Texas. All the fraternities had large tents setup and lots of organization.

The KA tent was a pathetic 12x12 one bought at academy and zero organization.. Still, it had the biggest crowd, baking in that concrete heat island effect shithole that is college station. 

I find it hilarious they say KA is supposed to have a military-like organization structure, when I was there it was the blind leading the blind. The good part was everyone had the same type of focus, we rage and have fun and it all works out in the end.

You are a sad, weird person

On 8/26/2018 at 12:45 AM, Macanudo said:

What did the ATOs do this time?

Ha ha ha...I started to reply to this before I noticed who wrote it.  Ask me offline.  Same shit, different decade.  They gone.

25 years later...from when that was my whole life, to now when I heard about it shutting down...meh.

And from reading the above...it looks like it's happened to a bunch of houses over the years.

As for West Campus.  I was just back there for the first time in a decade.  Unrecognizable, and has much less character with all the new mid-rises towering over the streets.  I had to check the phone map to make sure I was near my old apartment as zero of the visual landmarks remained. And to put a fine point on the above, it didn't even occur to me to drive by the Beta house to see what was going on with the chapter (this was pre Das Boot).

P.S.  I will discourage my son from joining any fraternity...despite having a tremendously positive experience as an undergrad and beyond. Having seen under the hood of a national fraternity...I've seen too much.

• Like 1

Just now, DCLonghorn said:

Amen.  First two post-UT jobs were direct results of being in a fraternity.

Of course, I'd tell my son acid in the face, staph infections, paralysis, or death isn't a fair trade for a good professional network right out of school.

That second job I mentioned above...the guy that hired me was a wealthy young man from the lawsuit he won against his fraternity (different house on a different campus).  I imagine all in all, he'd rather have a working arm instead.  Network worked...doesn't seem worth the risk in hindsight.  It certainly seemed worth it back then.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2018 at 9:34 AM, We’reTexas said:

Pretty much impossible, the vast majority of the pledge class is already somewhat allocated to legacies/siblings/HS friends by the time rush begins. My wife was a Chi O and I had to deal with her complaining all the time around this time of the year. 

I forget how this was always the dead time of the year, with all the girls tied up for rush. Nothing to do but hang out at abel’s and try and get the rushees from Hardin to talk to you as they walked down Rio Grande. 

One of the best times evar.  Except when they had some kind of meetings at night and couldn't go out.

Also my favorite sorority rush "moment."  There was some poor girl, circa 1985-6, that had a fucking stuffed parrot on her shoulder as she went from house to house.  It was either part of her dress or the strap on her purse/bag.  If you were around at that time, you saw it or heard about it.  The girl ended up a DG or ADPi, I believe.  She was known henceforth and indelibly as "parrot girl."

Edited by TwiceHorn

On 8/24/2018 at 12:29 PM, Lat22 said:

Golf ball targets back in the day.

And "borrowing" their composites in the dead of night. We'd get fucked up and throw pool balls from the second floor of the Pike house through their back sliding glass door. Think they finally got smart and converted it to Plexiglass or something.

Edited by C-Man

I never cared about using it to network.  It sure had it's moments from a good time for a short time perspective though. 

From an Animal House perspective, I'm glad I was in something more akin to Delta House than to Omega House.  Never was much one for Blazer parties.

Oh, and those Mu's sure can party.

Booger-2.gif

Edited by dcbc

22 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Yup. I’ll add that as Commander and part of the Executive Leadership, I learned how to manage, motivate and sell to people I didn’t necessarily like. So like Jr politics.

Definitely a leadership experience.  Getting 150 guys in varying states of intoxication to pull in the same direction is a feat.  Very educational.  Reminded me a lot of Scouts, where the object was to get a dozen or so 10-14 year olds pulling in the same direction.  Roughly equivalent tasks.

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Definitely a leadership experience.  Getting 150 guys in varying states of intoxication to pull in the same direction is a feat.  Very educational.  Reminded me a lot of Scouts, where the object was to get a dozen or so 10-14 year olds pulling in the same direction.  Roughly equivalent tasks.

It's a lot of personal civil liability with not a lot of reward, too. 

On 9/7/2018 at 11:25 PM, TwiceHorn said:

I should know several of them, but don't remember names or recognize many.

I should know some of them too, but apparently we sent the Tri-delts some doughnuts in 1984. Then we apparently sent them the pics of us wearing them. They didn’t want anything to do with us when I got there in 1985. 

4 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

I should know some of them too, but apparently we sent the Tri-delts some doughnuts in 1984. Then we apparently sent them the pics of us wearing them. They didn’t want anything to do with us when I got there in 1985. 

That was an old urban legend usually attributed to the Phi Delts in the 70s.  I believe if it had happened in 84, that would have been well-known.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2018 at 4:03 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Also my favorite sorority rush "moment."  There was some poor girl, circa 1985-6, that had a fucking stuffed parrot on her shoulder as she went from house to house.  It was either part of her dress or the strap on her purse/bag.  If you were around at that time, you saw it or heard about it.  The girl ended up a DG or ADPi, I believe.  She was known henceforth and indelibly as "parrot girl."

That was '85 - I remember seeing her...