Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

2 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

You havent disproven anything about your wife. You havent even proven that you are the person you pretend to be. 

For sure though, most guys with your claimed personality dont have wives at all, much less wives that make 6 figures. 

The envy is obvious from this post. My wife is awesome. Get over it. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 5

Just now, Vince_McCoy_Williams said:

The envy is obvious from this post. My wife is awesome. Get over it. 

Lol. Neither you or your wife are real people. Nothing to envy. 

I do feel for that Russian girl you force to share your bed over there though. Cuz your rape support is real, isnt it?

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

You are spreading lies saying that he has been convicted of crimes. That is demonsterably false. Fuck off to the beto v cruz thread you sycophant navel gazer

Dont deny that if that was anyone but daddy judge's son fucking up or some other high ranking politician/rich dad, then they wouldve gotten the book thrown at them. He would be working at a 7/11 somehwere right now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 5

5 minutes ago, Vince_McCoy_Williams said:

Daddy playing judge helps, white privilege at it's finest. 

Also, not sure where you're getting the narrative that Beto was in a hit and run, but he got the DWI dismissed through completing a "DWI School" program which isn't some secret handshake sort of deal to get. Just don't have a lawyer that's shit. 

4 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Lol. Neither you or your wife are real people. Nothing to envy. 

I do feel for that Russian girl you force to share your bed over there though. Cuz your rape support is real, isnt it?

I thought I was an aggy? Then it was I am an old grandpa? Then it was Im a Nazi? Then it was rapist? Then it was Im a kid? Now Im a Russian? Gosh can yall ever make up your minds? 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 4

Just now, Captainant said:

Also, not sure where you're getting the narrative that Beto was in a hit and run, but he got the DWI dismissed through completing a "DWI School" program which isn't some secret handshake sort of deal to get. Just don't have a lawyer that's shit. 

It is all over the news, go search for it, you will find it. 

• Fuck You 7

That said, I couldn't forgive an intended rape.  But I could imagine a situation in which someone in Kavanagh's position had, many years ago, taken responsibility for being too aggressive and for making the girl feel threatened, and depending on whether circumstances support the contention that there was a misunderstanding, it could be forgiven.  Of course, that never happened here, so it's moot. 

Edited by Mojo Hand
  • Like 2

Not sure what Beto has to do with this.   He took responsibility for what he did and still does.  Kavanaugh has not and, if you believe the accuser, is lying.   One of a number of significant lies he's told, many under oath.   I can forgive many long-ago offenses if the person repents.   Just like I don't hold W's DUI against him.   But Kavanagh has not, and is lying in the present.  Completely different circumstances. 
The guy is a perjury factory who accepts personal responsibility for nothing.

Being called a liar has a way of emboldening people. Good for her.

Kavanaugh and friend likely knew what they did and have explained it to themselves as a youthful drunken indiscretion that they're justified in lying about. Based on Kavanaugh's hearing, he's a shitty liar. Call him back and make him respond to questions about this. The truth will be apparent.

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

My dark horse theory is Flake and Corker will scuttle this nomination because they’re done in January, to protect Collins and Murkowski who are up in 2020. 

And Senate Democrats will make a deal to confirm Hardiman after midterms, who is basically Kennedy-esque on the judicial spectrum.

This will come down to she said / he said.  One of the problems for kavanaugh are the white lies that he has already told Congress.  If he was willing to tell some “harmless” lies to avoid some tough questions, does anyone think that he wouldn’t lie to avoid this story?

now most of the gop senators will most likely fall on the side that the woman waited too long and it’s unfair for kavanaugh to defend himself.  I agree and that’s why we have statute of limitations for prosecution.  But this is a lifetime appointment for a scotus position. 

Depending on how well this woman can handle questioning, I put the odds that kavanaugh is confirmed at 50/50 now. 

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

This will come down to she said / he said.  One of the problems for kavanaugh are the white lies that he has already told Congress.  If he was willing to tell some “harmless” lies to avoid some tough questions, does anyone think that he wouldn’t lie to avoid this story?

now most of the gop senators will most likely fall on the side that the woman waited too long and it’s unfair for kavanaugh to defend himself.  I agree and that’s why we have statute of limitations for prosecution.  But this is a lifetime appointment for a scotus position. 

Depending on how well this woman can handle questioning, I put the odds that kavanaugh is confirmed at 50/50 now. 

If her story is believable, she's a good witness, and he doesn't handle questions well it'll sink him.

I think we all know where this will end up in terms of arguments from both sides.  And the gop will ask the question that isn’t it possible that an accuser can make up a story 30 years later because they don’t want someone confirmed?  And the answer is yes that is a possibility.   

Since scotus is a lifetime appointment, I don’t know if they should get anything close to a standard of reasonable doubt.  

I think we all know where this will end up in terms of arguments from both sides.  And the gop will ask the question that isn’t it possible that an accuser can make up a story 30 years later because they don’t want someone confirmed?  And the answer is yes that is a possibility.   
Since scotus is a lifetime appointment, I don’t know if they should get anything close to a standard of reasonable doubt.  

She's playing the long game to plant the story with her therapist 6 years ago. Maybe went with the broad DC elite instead of naming him just in case she needed to tank a judicial confirmation or political campaign some time down the road? Cause what California professor doesn't think about those things when going through marriage counseling?

This is a real pickle for the GOP.  

tumblr_lvejx3naDd1qbwvhpo1_500.gif

No matter what happens at this point, Kavanaugh is a severely tainted nominee.

How tainted is he? Does the GOP want to keep going down this road, possibly digging their own grave even more just to get Trump’s guy on the Supreme Court? 

We know what Trump wants to do.  He wants to push Kavanaugh through no matter what.

The GOP has a hard decision to make here:

1.  Stand with Trump, galvanize the opposition even more, and push Kavanaugh through

2.  Cut bait and move on to another nomination.  

3.  Proceed with a Senate vote knowing he won’t get confirmed but give Trump and the American people a view of where each Senator stands. 

No matter the decision, this is a net loss for Trump and the GOP come election time.

I don't think that they have time to cut bait.  Realistically their only play is to hold a hearing and receive testimony from Dr. Ford, and then push a vote. I think Kavanaugh is done, and you are going to see a compromise appointment or the seat stays empty through 2021. But wouldn't be shocked to watch them push the confirmation through after testimony. 

Just now, Anastasis said:

I don't think that they have time to cut bait

Sure they do, they can force the withdrawal of the nomination and this all goes away for now.  They just need a better replacement nominee on deck to promote through the election cycle. 

Take Kavanaugh out of the equation and get to work on a new narrative.

7 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I don't think that they have time to cut bait.  Realistically their only play is to hold a hearing and receive testimony from Dr. Ford, and then push a vote. I think Kavanaugh is done, and you are going to see a compromise appointment or the seat stays empty through 2021. But wouldn't be shocked to watch them push the confirmation through after testimony. 

With the polling on women voters, the last issue during the election cycle is another reminder that Republican policies are anti-women. Republican's best bet is to end this quickly so it does not influence voting too much.

Edited by Washpark

Outside of the context of an attempted rape, yearbook quotes from high schoolers in 1983 doesn't carry too much weight with me. I think I signed the "if I was a dog and you were a flower" line in some middle school yearbooks. Kids say immature things even if these seem pretty extreme. It certainly is shocking to see how much times have changed that such comments would end up in a school yearbook.

Of course, this isn't outside the context of an attempted rape. They look like the entitled rich kids from every bad 80s teen movie which definitely adds some credibility to the claims. 

As far as people not referring to the accuser as "doctor," there's probably some sexism at play but if you don't have an MD, it's somewhat common to have the title dropped. In some minds, it seems like there are doctors and those with academic doctorates. I suspect that if she were male she'd be called doctor, but I also suspect that if she were an MD she'd be called doctor as well.

The Ds have played some 4D chess with this politically. I'm usually turned off by political maneuvering, but this has been impressive. If only they'd show this much organizational and strategic thinking when governing.

2 minutes ago, Mole said:

The Ds have played some 4D chess with this politically. I'm usually turned off by political maneuvering, but this has been impressive. If only they'd show this much organizational and strategic thinking when governing.

This.  The layers of political ramifications, with the midterms right around the corner, are fascinating.  

19 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I think there would be a compromise appointment.  I think red state Democrats in 2018 (and Doug Jones up in 2020) would confirm Hardiman.  Schumer should be on the phone with McConnell telling him so.  Yeah, you get a "more reliably Republican than Kennedy" vote on SCOTUS, but it's someone MUCH closer to Kennedy's leanings.