Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

5 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I don't think Republicans are going to like where flaunting the rule of law leads us.

This.

Oh, and "flouting."  The word is "flouting."

And, who are we kidding - they give ZERO fucks.  Some of us see what the utter destruction of norms will mean for the long term -- this now IS the new normal.  The bar has been set....and there is no bar.

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

This.

If they've got him dead-to-rights on perjury, all it takes is a Dem senator to tell him "look at the senate map for 2020.  Think of how bad it would be for you to 1) be tried for perjury, and 2) be convicted and removed from office after holding it just 2 years.  Think of how bad that would be for you, and the country.  Withdraw your nomination, and this will go away, and you can stay on the DC Circuit without any further action."

In two years, when you have a Democratic president and a Democratic Congress, the Democratic president should announce "Neil Gorsuch is an illegitimate justice by virtue of filling a stolen seat, and Brett Kavanaugh is an illegitimate justice for having been confirmed through perjury.  If the illegitimate justices refuse to step down, then their votes will be offset by two new justices, whose seats will be created forthwith."

Just now, Ghost of LL said:

In two years, when you have a Democratic president and a Democratic Congress, the Democratic president should announce "Neil Gorsuch is an illegitimate justice by virtue of filling a stolen seat, and Brett Kavanaugh is an illegitimate justice for having been confirmed through perjury.  If the illegitimate justices refuse to step down, then their votes will be offset by two new justices, whose seats will be created forthwith."

That's how we end up with a 15 seat SCOTUS by 2050. 

Just now, FondrenRoad said:

15? It will be 75 by then. Imagine if Trump pulled Kavanaughs nomination and nominated Garland right now. Might save both the republic and his ass. 

Yeah, that has approximately zero chance.

What is the process for increasing the number of SCOTUS seats?  Simple bill by congress?

Just now, Anastasis said:

That's how we end up with a 15 seat SCOTUS by 2050. 

Not necessarily.  There is precedent for seats being abolished, and that could be an agreed path forward to prevent the outcome you foresee.

Alternatively, we could see a repeat of what happened in the 1930's after Roosevelt made similar threats.  The Court, out of an abundance of good sense, moderated its positions on various New Deal programs to forestall any reemergence of Roosevelt's court-packing scheme.

But the outcome you foresee is indeed the possible end result from that course of action.

4 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

Yea but to get rid of the filibuster all you need is 50+1 votes...right??

I don't think that the GOP is about to nuke the legislative filibuster right about the time that they are about to lose control of the house and tip toe the line in the senate.  I think the dems could very well nuke it after 2020 though. 

Just now, Anastasis said:

I don't think that the GOP is about to nuke the legislative filibuster right about the time that they are about to lose control of the house and tip toe the line in the senate.  I think the dems could very well nuke it after 2020 though. 

I agree but the whole idea of a “super majority “ filibuster is stupid if a simple majority can get rid of it at will.   Its basically playing with monopoly money.

• Like 2

Packing the court or impeaching justices is temporarily if the other side can just come back and do it to you.  The dems need to just take the gloves off and use the “conservative “ courts to make lasting change.

Don’t care about gerrymandering?  Ok, gerrymander the shit out of everything and don’t be subtle.  Make the court rule it unconstitutional.

Don't want to take up reasonable gun restrictions?  Ok, make it legal to enter any government building including the Sup. Court with any gun you want.  Oh now they want restrictions.

Don’t care about emoluments or bribery of public officials?  Ok, pass a law to make it legal then abuse the shit out of it.  Oh, now it’s unconstitutional.

Don’t care about voter suppression?  Ok, pass laws to supress the shit out of old white people. Oh, now it’s unconstitutional.

• Haha 1

Oh and one more:

So corporations are now “individuals” with all available individual rights?  Ok... two corporations (preferably of the same corporate sex)  should apply for a marriage license and get legally married.   Then the married corporate couple should apply to adopt children to use for labor.  Wait... they can’t?  Why is that SCOTUS?

Edited by Horn Dog
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Four seats.

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

So essentially our Senate is going to confirm someone who lied under oath?  Because we all know damn well they are going to confirm him.

So are we at the complaceny and acceptance stage of grief, collectively as a nation or board or whatever, or will there be a melt down with tears and brisket level doomsday histrionics?

7 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Damn this Kavanaugh guy straight up lied under oath. 

About at least three different things by my count, and I’ve barely followed the hearings. Anyone got a current count on different things he’s lied under oath about?

So are we at the complaceny and acceptance stage of grief, collectively as a nation or board or whatever, or will there be a melt down with tears and brisket level doomsday histrionics?

No grief from me. Entirely as expected. We’re going to have a hearing that proves a man perjured himself multiple times to the senate, and we’re going to put him on the highest court in the land.

Because that’s the country we are now. It just is.