Trivial things that please the ever living shit out of you

Tailleur17

Flying back from Hawaii, we were put in boarding group C (clearly not a Surly 1%er). Maybe because we had 2 kids with us, or probably because out seats were towards the back of the plane. But boarding early and getting overhead luggage space was nice.

I think most people just packed their swimsuit, flip flops and a toothbrush because it seemed like everyone brought their carry-on instead of checking their bag.

Oh, and some douche brought his skateboard as a carry-on. Seriously... who brings a skateboard on vacation?

3 minutes ago, deadshank said:

I’m pleased to report that Stephen at HEB - Bunker Hill told the woman behind me at the 15 items or less lane to go to the proper check out lane where another cashier could check her 2 months worth of groceries spanning at least 300 items.  

She wasn’t pleased to be told that and started to get angry; however, I helped Stephen by giving the woman my usual 6’ 3” - 250 lbs glower of disdain while pointing to the sign.  

She moved on. 

Happy You Good GIF

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, deadshank said:

She wasn’t pleased to be told that and started to get angry; however, I helped Stephen by giving the woman my usual 6’ 3” - 250 lbs glower of disdain while pointing to the sign.  

She moved on. 

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

Was rocking the youngling daughter to sleep and heard Jack White “We’re gonna be friends”.   I liked that song, now I’ve listened to it 77 times in a row     I’m not mad about it.   I’m trying to not cry.   Damn 

It’s also sad as shot that she’ll never experience walking to school with just her and her buddy.  Fucking people....always ruining shit 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/11/2021 at 12:46 PM, Superhero said:

Flying back from Hawaii, we were put in boarding group C (clearly not a Surly 1%er). Maybe because we had 2 kids with us

Oh, and some douche brought his skateboard as a carry-on. Seriously... who brings a skateboard on vacation?

Who brings their kids on vacation???

8yr old daughter is nuts about soccer and said she’s getting bored beating teams her age. Her and a friend signed up for a 9yr old boys indoor team. She scored a goal and held her own against them. Even had parents from the other team complimenting how well she played.

• Like 1

The people who reflexively label everything as a "tourist trap".  There's actually very few things that qualify as tourist traps.

"I wouldnt waste my time going to Franklin BBQ cuz its a tourist trap".  Like yeah, sure, half of the line are Californians who learned about the restaurant from an instagram post 6 months ago... but that doesnt make his food any less worthy or that locals dont eat his stuff. 

"Don't see the Eiffel tower its a tourist trap".  It's the eiffel fucking tower.  Popularity != instant tourist trap.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

The people who reflexively label everything as a "tourist trap".  There's actually very few things that qualify as tourist traps.

"I wouldnt waste my time going to Franklin BBQ cuz its a tourist trap".  Like yeah, sure, half of the line are Californians who learned about the restaurant from an instagram post 6 months ago... but that doesnt make his food any less worthy or that locals dont eat his stuff. 

"Don't see the Eiffel tower its a tourist trap".  It's the eiffel fucking tower.  Popularity != instant tourist trap.

You must be a grouch if that pleases you

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/18/2021 at 4:20 AM, 52-80 said:

Franklin is crowded because it's in the discussion for best BBQ on the planet.

The Big Texan ain't remotely within that realm of discussion when it comes to steak.  It's absolutely a tourist trap.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Franklin is crowded because it's in the discussion for best BBQ on the planet.

The Big Texan ain't remotely within that realm of discussion when it comes to steak.  It's absolutely a tourist trap.

people dont go to big texan because they think the steak tastes good though.  they knowingly go there for the cultural significance - to say theyve been there

Coming home and being informed that our piece of shit Samsung refrigerator decided to start making ice again for the first time in over a year.  No corrective measures were taken, no repairman was called, as I have been down that road many times with this fridge.  It just awoke from hibernation and is cranking out ice.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Coming home and being informed that our piece of shit Samsung refrigerator decided to start making ice again for the first time in over a year.  No corrective measures were taken, no repairman was called, as I have been down that road many times with this fridge.  It just awoke from hibernation and is cranking out ice.

Tangential:

Fully stocked fridge after weekend grocery store + Costco run.

All 4 rows of sparkling water (regular, lime, lemon, and wildcard … orange or grapefruit or black cheery)

Full pint of unopened guac, chopped onion, chopped garlic.

Full gallon of milk and quart of OJ.

And a full case of beer in 4 rows of each distinct type from a variety pack from Costco and / or Total wine …. Which also lends to the next pt….

$12.99 12 packs of Real Ale product at Total wine.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

$12.99 12 packs of Real Ale product at Total wine.

Devil's Backbone and Brewhouse Brown would fill my fridge.  Total Wine is a great place...unfortunately the closest one to me is about 300 miles away.

I live within a 5 minute drive of Total Wine, Trader Joe's, Sprouts (great local grocery store but still not HEB when it's open), and 15 minutes from a MicroCenter. Good elementary and middle-schools within 5 minute walk from my house.

I'm glad we bought the house in 2015 even though we weren't seriously looking. It was probably more than we wanted to pay, but location location location right? No ragrets.

5 hours ago, Superhero said:

I live within a 5 minute drive of Total Wine, Trader Joe's, Sprouts (great local grocery store but still not HEB when it's open), and 15 minutes from a MicroCenter. Good elementary and middle-schools within 5 minute walk from my house.

I'm glad we bought the house in 2015 even though we weren't seriously looking. It was probably more than we wanted to pay, but location location location right? No ragrets.

We've probably passed each other at TW, TJ or sprouts...

• 2 weeks later...

When at the coast, we frequently eat dinner at a dive seafood joint. They of course specialize in fried goodness, and offer literally dozens of different combos: 2 pieces of fish 9 shrimp, 6 shrimp 6 oysters, etc.

I wanted oysters tonight. The 12 oyster plate is $21. I looked over at the combos, and spotted….12 oysters, 1 fish, for $19. So, let me get this straight….you’ll effectively pay me $2 to eat a bonus piece of fish? Hell yeah.

The little wins mean a lot.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

When at the coast, we frequently eat dinner at a dive seafood joint. They of course specialize in fried goodness, and offer literally dozens of different combos: 2 pieces of fish 9 shrimp, 6 shrimp 6 oysters, etc.

I wanted oysters tonight. The 12 oyster plate is $21. I looked over at the combos, and spotted….12 oysters, 1 fish, for $19. So, let me get this straight….you’ll effectively pay me $2 to eat a bonus piece of fish? Hell yeah.

The little wins mean a lot.

There was a period of time (~20 years ago?) when my local McDonald's charged less for an Egg McMonkey meal (sandwich, hash brown, and coffee) than if you just ordered the sandwich and the hash brown without any coffee. In other words, it was cheaper to order the coffee and throw it out than to not order it. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

57 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

There was a period of time (~20 years ago?) when my local McDonald's charged less for an Egg McMonkey meal (sandwich, hash brown, and coffee) than if you just ordered the sandwich and the hash brown without any coffee. In other words, it was cheaper to order the coffee and throw it out than to not order it. 

You can also have them add an egg for $1.  Order sausage biscuit for $1, add egg, and you have yourself a sausage biscuit w/egg for $2 rather than $3.50.  This only worked at one restaurant, and the only reason I even know about it is they had one employee who rang it up that way every time.

On 8/3/2021 at 3:53 PM, conVINCEd said:

You can also have them add an egg for $1.  Order sausage biscuit for $1, add egg, and you have yourself a sausage biscuit w/egg for $2 rather than $3.50.  This only worked at one restaurant, and the only reason I even know about it is they had one employee who rang it up that way every time.

belongs in the trival things that bother you thread, but since we are discussing McMuffins.

Why the fuck is a Sausage McMuffin NOT the Sausage version of an Egg McMuffin.  NOOOO.... I have to order a Sausage McMuffin with Egg if I want a Sausage version of an Egg McMuffin.  Otherwise I just get sausage, cheese and english muffin.   Pisses me off.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

belongs in the trival things that bother you thread, but since we are discussing McMuffins.

Why the fuck is a Sausage McMuffin NOT the Sausage version of an Egg McMuffin.  NOOOO.... I have to order a Sausage McMuffin with Egg if I want a Sausage version of an Egg McMuffin.  Otherwise I just get sausage, cheese and english muffin.   Pisses me off.

This is mistake you should only make once, but I agree that it's fucking enraging. 

Watching movies at a drive-in. Yeah, the quality is awful and you have to deal with morons who don't understand that if they turn anything on tht their car will light up like a Christmas tree. Still, it's a cool throwback to my youth so it hits me in the nostalgia bone. We took the kids last night to the drive-in out in Ennis. Sat outside since the weather was pleasant. Sky was fairly clear so you could see tons of stars. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1