Trivial things that please the ever living shit out of you

Tailleur17

My parents are visiting from Taiwan. I've asked my parents to only speak Mandarin to my kids. My 10 year old has been responding and starting conversations with my mom in Chinese (albeit with a heavy American accent). But it's awesome that she's able to converse in Chinese especially since she never speaks it back to my wife and I.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

Turned north on highway 95 from 290 in Elgin right about 5:30. A few minutes later you hit the Travis county line and if you look to the southwest you can see the skyscrapers in downtown Austin. Today, the skyline was set against the blaze of orange from the just-set sun. Really perfect.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 12/21/2022 at 1:36 PM, Superhero said:

My parents are visiting from Taiwan. I've asked my parents to only speak Mandarin to my kids. My 10 year old has been responding and starting conversations with my mom in Chinese (albeit with a heavy American accent). But it's awesome that she's able to converse in Chinese especially since she never speaks it back to my wife and I.

Please tell your parents I was astounded to see how the Tien Mu suburb on the north side of Taipei has grown since I lived there (1957-59).

505167BE-CEFE-492D-BBED-74AD46C60453.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Please tell your parents I was astounded to see how the Tien Mu suburb on the north side of Taipei has grown since I lived there (1957-59).

505167BE-CEFE-492D-BBED-74AD46C60453.jpeg

But then, he’ll inevitably have to explain to his in-laws his association with you. 
“Brat is my friend from the internet. See, we have this website that is supposed to be based around Texas football, but we also have an 87-page thread helping those with substance abuse issues, a 142-page thread supporting those with relationship problems, and 93 pages of recipes for those wanting to cook for their friends and family. 
Oh- and there’s also a three-page argument on whether or not it’s gay to suck your own dick”.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

There is a MicroCenter 15 minutes from my house. 

In case you don't know what a MicroCenter is, it sells computers, computer parts, accessories, electronics, TVs, etc. It is GEEK CENTRAL. Picture what a geek looks like and imagine there are hundreds congregated in one spot.

But it has the lowest prices of anything I've ever wanted to buy. We got monitors during Covid when monitors were sold out everywhere else. I got my kid's ipad for $260, which was at least $50 cheaper than the next vendor.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Our over the oven microwave gave up the ghost.  It was original to the haus when it was built 12 years ago, so I guess it was time.  We bought the same brand but different model.  Brackets and mounting holes pretty much aligned perfectly.  I'd be hard pressed to say if it took longer to unbox it or install it.  

• Hook 'Em 5

On 12/28/2022 at 11:01 PM, Superhero said:

In case you don't know what a MicroCenter is, it sells computers, computer parts, accessories, electronics, TVs, etc. It is GEEK CENTRAL. Picture what a geek looks like and imagine there are hundreds congregated in one spot.

never forget

fry.jpg

SJM-L-FRYS-1111-1.jpg

frys-1.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Just got back from dentist office. The tech that used to do my cleanings was super naggy and always trying to push extra services on me. The last 3 trips, she's been replaced by an absolute smoke show (8 face, 10 body) that is super friendly and just cleans my teeth without hassling me.

On 1/9/2023 at 6:28 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

When my wife is cooking and the olive oil, garlic and onions hit the pan and fill the house with that awesome smell.

251.jpg

My son is decently smart, so I applied for him to be in the APL (Applied Primary Learner) program. Whether they get in is heavily based on what their teacher thinks. We were pretty confident because he got all As on his report card, except for art, which according to him is not a real subject because “you don’t learn anything.”

We applied for my daughter to be in the GATE (Gifted And Talented Education) program. We applied for it “just because”. We didn’t think she’d get in, but were surprised when she was accepted. According to a standardized test, she was in the 98th percentile in the state.

I couldn’t be prouder of both my kids, but like a good Asian parent, I looked them in the eyes and said

image.gif.de7247e1bd609dea6b959a3ccecd867e.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Superhero said:

My office got rid of plastic cutlery, and now we have real silverware. My conscience is slightly clearer today.

5 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Just hope you don't ever see what your coworkers are doing with that silverware when you're not around

Or you could take your own silverware and keep it in your office.  You know that you have, and you know that it's clean.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nnm said:

Not so trivial, but marrying off my second daughter today to a young man I really enjoy and that loves her and our family. The wedding planning is all finished, my daddy dance with her is all choreographed (by her) and practiced, and my speech is ready. It’s going to be a good day. 

Damn, you old.

Still... congratulations on finding a son-in-law that loves your daughter. Remember that he's going to love your daughter tonight. Depending how young he is, might love her several times.

• Haha 2

Am I the only one getting 20 calls a day that say " I'm with senior aid helper, regarding a financial matter...."? It's a robocall so I can't even jack with them like I do other telemarketers. I never answer them but it always leaves a message. Pisses me off. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We’re all familiar with the image of a housefly printed on the urinal to give us something to aim at. 
Well, this weekend we visited the USS Midway in San Diego. It’s a very cool museum now. 
In the men’s room on the flight deck they have this setup in the urinals. It’s extremely satisfying to hit that field goal. 
I’m sure this isn’t the only place this exists. Just the first place I’ve seen it. 
IMG_1410.thumb.jpeg.f3d34a117a49387e22ecee8ff9739992.jpeg

• Like 2

We’re all familiar with the image of a housefly printed on the urinal to give us something to aim at. 
Well, this weekend we visited the USS Midway in San Diego. It’s a very cool museum now. 
In the men’s room on the flight deck they have this setup in the urinals. It’s extremely satisfying to hit that field goal. 
I’m sure this isn’t the only place this exists. Just the first place I’ve seen it. 
IMG_1410.thumb.jpeg.f3d34a117a49387e22ecee8ff9739992.jpeg

1977dccf3afdc1d7da3153adef1a2307.jpg
This thing’s begging for Bob Stoops
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I was putting together some furniture and getting pissed at how my Bosch drill/driver bit set isn’t magnetised like my BIL’s Milwaukee set is…

…then I realized I bought this little Wera magnetizer to rub the tip on and bam, like magic, it turned magnetic. 

Very chuffed. 

WO5073403001_01_wera

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I ordered a replacement glass lens cover for the back of my phone yesterday at 1:00 and it was in my mailbox at 10:00 this morning. This both pleases and amazes me. It’s not like it’s a super common item, yet they can get it, and get it to me in under 24 hours. I’m old enough to remember when you bought something from TV or a catalog they’d tell you to expect six to eight weeks for delivery.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2