Updates on former Longhorn football players

Goo Punch

Link to story and video... 

https://abc13.com/nfl-player-selvin-young-selving-entrepreneur-food-truck-business-big-hots/11640535/

Former football standout Selvin Young makes food history at RodeoHouston

By Adam Winkler

Friday, March 11, 2022 4:48AM

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- Many folks will remember Selvin Young for what he did on the football field.   The Jersey Village High School alumnus had a standout career for the Texas Longhorns - including winning the 2005 national championship. After playing two seasons in the NFL, Young is now excelling in the shadows of NRG Stadium - home of the NFL's Houston Texans. He's doing so in the food truck business.

"Being from Houston, walking these grounds as a kid and going to the Astrodome and Astroworld - it's really cool," Young explained about his opportunity to take part in the 2022 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.

Young is the owner of a pair of food trucks. One of them, Big Hot's, is making its first appearance at Rodeo Houston. In fact, while doing so, Big Hot's is making history.

"Ninety years - in the history of the Rodeo, they've never had a vegan concept," Young noted. "For me, a Black entrepreneur, I'm the first one into this space where it's never been done."

Big Hot's, according to Young, introduces a new aspect into his diet.

"Go for it. It's healthy," Young explained of his truck's vegan concept. "Why couldn't a football guy, who's eaten meat his entire life, try something different and get people to try it? It's my goal to put healthy items in front of people with good flavor and good taste."

Big Hot's is open 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. every day at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.  

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Didn’t Selvin Young have a business building them for a while? In Denver maybe? I didn’t read the link so it might be mentioned there.

Yeah he has built them in the past... Not sure if he is still doing that now ??

https://www.sportscasting.com/texas-star-selvin-young-went-from-buried-running-back-to-food-truck-owner/

From old 2020 article...

Selvin Young needed an outlet when his football career ended. He left Texas with a degree in liberal arts but had a different career path in mind.

Young originally opened a BBQ restaurant in Houston in 2009. He later bought a food truck so he could sell food on the road, and when Young sold the restaurant and truck in 2012, he was impressed the truck sold for more.

Enter Custom Food Truck Builders, a Houston-based company owned by Young and his father, a sheet metal mechanic. The two fixed trucks before they sold them for a profit.

In a 2015 interview with CNN, Young said he’d already built 28 trucks and trailers; each sold for roughly $50,000 — double their cost, according to the site.

Young said he and his father received quests from not only those in the United States, but prospective buyers in Japan, Taiwan, and Dubai.

Selvin Young’s NFL career didn’t go as intended. Ultimately, he found a new road where he is not only successful, but he gets to spend time with his family.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/10/2022 at 10:17 PM, LTtxfan said:

Can’t get over that hat. Not everyone can pull that off. 

I saw it the other day when @LTtxfan posted the update and it just stuck with me in the back of my head. I wasn’t sure if i liked it or hated it. Now, i think i can say confidently that is some dope ass shit. Baller look Selvin.

I’ve never priced a food truck, but I know people that claimed they had around 100k tied up in just a food trailer.
I can see that easily. Beyond the cost of the trailer (self powered or not) itself, you basically need a professional kitchen custom built inside, then professional grade utensils, mixers, knives etc...not to mention appropriate permits on top of all that.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Brackens_McCoy_TXHS_HOF_2_WEB.jpg?width=

05.07.2022 | Football

Two Longhorn Legends inducted into Texas High School Football Hall of Fame

Defensive end Tony Brackens and quarterback Colt McCoy were inducted as part of the Class of 2022.

WACO, Texas – Longhorn Legends Tony Brackens (Fairfield High School) and Colt McCoy (Tuscola/Jim Ned High School) have been inducted into the Texas High School Football Hall of Fame as members of the class of 2022.

Brackens, an All-American defensive end at Texas from 1993-95, and McCoy, a National Player of the Year and record-setting quarterback from 2006-09, were formally recognized and inducted on Saturday night at the Texas Sports Hall of Fame in Waco.

An All-American and all-state defensive end at 3A Fairfield High School, Brackens was a two-way standout who also spent time at fullback and tight end on offense. He recorded 120 tackles and 18 sacks during his senior season and was a multi-sport star who won the state 3A shot put title that year. And to top it off, he was an honor student, played drums in his high school's marching band and competed in rodeo team roping competitions. Brackens was recently selected as a member of the University Interscholastic League All-Century team as well as being listed among the UIL's 100 greatest players of the first 100 years of Texas High School football by Dave Campbell's Texas Football.

TonyBrackens_Hall_2022fx.jpg

At Texas, Brackens was a three-time first-team All-Southwest Conference selection from 1993-95, a consensus first-team All-American in 1995, and an honorable mention All-American in 1994. Best known for his combination of power, speed and strength to go with explosive pass rushing skills and extraordinary instincts, he was one of the most dominant and hardest-hitting Longhorns in recent memory. Brackens put all of those skills on display in posting 77 tackles, seven sacks, 16 tackles for loss, five forced fumbles, four fumble recoveries and 29 QB pressures in his final collegiate season of 1995. That year, UT won the last-ever SWC Championship, finished 10-2-1, ranked No. 14 nationally, and earned a Sugar Bowl bid. He had a team-high 90 tackles to go with seven sacks and 30 QB pressures in leading the Horns to an 8-4 record, a victory in the Sun Bowl, No. 25 ranking and a share of the SWC title as a sophomore in 1994. Texas was 18-6-1 in his final two seasons, won or shared both of those SWC titles and earned Top 25 rankings each year before Brackens declared early for the NFL Draft.

The Associated Press SWC Defensive Newcomer of the Year in 1993, Brackens posted 79 tackles and a career and team-high 10 sacks as a freshman. His 16 tackles for loss are still a UT freshman record, while his 10 sacks rank second on the UT all-time freshman list. The 79 tackles also rank among the top-10 freshman efforts on Longhorn record and his 59 solo tackles in 1993 are good for fourth-best among UT freshman. He had a career-best three sacks and was named the SWC Defensive Player of the Week after leading Texas to a 38-17 win over Baylor that year. His 24 career sacks in just three seasons still rank among the top 10 in UT history, while his 49 tackles for loss are currently 11th. Brackens had an impact off the field, as well, earning a spot on the 1995 American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) Good Works team for his community involvement.

A second-round draft pick of the Jacksonville Jaguars in 1996, Brackens was an NFL All-Rookie team selection that year and played the entirety of his eight-year NFL career in the Sunshine State. Still the Jaguars career leader with 55 sacks, 28 forced fumbles and 13 fumble recoveries, he was selected to the NFL Pro Bowl during the 1999 season before retiring from professional football in 2003. He played in 107 career games, starting 75, and had double-digit sack seasons in 1999 (12) and 2001 (11), including sacks in a franchise record eight consecutive games during the 2001 season.

Brackens was enshrined into the Southwest Conference Hall of Fame in 2019 and the Texas Athletics Hall of Honor in 2006.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 3

24 minutes ago, bar said:

Was looking at athletic profiles of this year's NFL rookies and saw that Brenden Schooler was elite (athletically). He didn't seem to play all that fast though.

1028457644_ScreenShot2022-05-16at7_24_12PM.thumb.png.9e077189024129b7bc9af2ffefc5f386.png

https://ras.football/ras-information/?PlayerID=21344

That’ll happen when you spend the first two seconds of every play running in the wrong direction 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...