Golden State Killer

Auto Driller

Anyone else following this case? HLN is running a 4-part series called “Unmasking a Killer” about it and the details are crazy.

Serial rapist (50+ victims) and murder (12 confirmed victims) and basically zero real evidence besides a very distinct MO and and DNA profile that has never produced a match. Operated in California from 1976–1986 but has made harassing phone calls to victims are recently as 2001. No one ever saw his face. The FBI opened their own investigation in addition to the local PD’s in 2016 and are offering a $50,000 reward.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_Night_Stalker

Original_Night_Stalker-East_Area_Rapist.

Hits kinda close to home: random CA CSB alert.

I was once staying in a hotel outside of Modesto in the late 90's.

Phone rang at around 1AM.  When I picked it up the voice on the other end said, "I can see you in your underwear".  

When I told the front desk about it the next morning they donchalantly replied, "oh yeah, there is a guy who does that all the time.  We can't figure out where he calls from."

• 5 weeks later...

Looks like they got him:

A suspect in the notorious Golden State Killer case—allegedly responsible for 12 homicides, 45 rapes, and 120 home burglaries in California in the 1970s and ‘80s—has been arrested, according to the co-author of a book that refocused attention on the unsolved crimes.

Patton Oswalt’s wife was the investigative reporter who really dug into this for years, only to die before she could complete her book. Another writer came onboard to finish it. Oswalt is giddy today.

• Like 1

It's crazy how these psychos can "retire" and blend into society for years after doing this shit.

I used to work as a network engineer at a server hosting company a long time ago. I often worked the 3rd shift and would occasionally interact with the customer support group in the building next door. The midnight support center manager was a quiet old guy that walked with a cane and seemed to always be eating a sack lunch. Nothing stood out about him other than he appeared to be an odd pathetic gimpy old man.

It turns out he was a serial rapist and murderer in the 70s/80s. He was eventually busted when DNA from an old murder case was tested by the police. It took 20 years to catch him. Finding out who he really was freaked the shit out of me. All those late nights, he had to be thinking about doing shit.

38 minutes ago, F250 said:

It's crazy how these psychos can "retire" and blend into society for years after doing this shit.

I used to work as a network engineer at a server hosting company a long time ago. I often worked the 3rd shift and would occasionally interact with the customer support group in the building next door. The midnight support center manager was a quiet old guy that walked with a cane and seemed to always be eating a sack lunch. Nothing stood out about him other than he appeared to be an odd pathetic gimpy old man.

It turns out he was a serial rapist and murderer in the 70s/80s. He was eventually busted when DNA from an old murder case was tested by the police. It took 20 years to catch him. Finding out who he really was freaked the shit out of me. All those late nights, he had to be thinking about doing shit.

Not really the same thing but this scumbag was well-liked as the coke dealer to musicians in Montrose for a long time. I used to see him holding court / selling shitty blow (don't ask me how I know) at the Alabama Ice House until shortly before he was arrested for dealing and then unmasked as a violent rapist. I can recall sensing there was something worse about him than just being a drug dealer -- he just radiated evil, but a lot of people seemed to think "Beeline Bobby" was just a guy who brought the party.  

http://www.houstonpress.com/news/robert-flores-former-montrose-resident-busted-for-2000-rape-6724937

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

18 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Not really the same thing but this scumbag was well-liked as the coke dealer to musicians in Montrose for a long time. I used to see him holding court / selling shitty blow (don't ask me how I know) at the Alabama Ice House until shortly before he was arrested for dealing and then unmasked as a violent rapist. I can recall sensing there was something worse about him than just being a drug dealer -- he just radiated evil, but a lot of people seemed to think "Beeline Bobby" was just a guy who brought the party.  

http://www.houstonpress.com/news/robert-flores-former-montrose-resident-busted-for-2000-rape-6724937

Wait, you're saying you didn't trust this guy? 

robertflores1010use.jpg

I can't find the 48 hours episode but it's pretty amazing. Oswalt and a few others are also literally currently filming a documentary about his wife's book that he helped finish and get published after she died. Her book and research many believe is what helped police track him down after all this time.

I understand that its an open investigation and what not, but jesus.  Take us through the last six days a little bit.  Was it a random tip, tip from a family member, or just sheer luck that you started investigating this guy?  

Only thing I learned other than how to self-fellate -- they tested discarded DNA of some kind to get the match.

Just read about this on Daily Mail.  Hard to believe, says some new DNA technique was used and matched to his daughter's DNA.  Be cool if they could catch/figure out the Zodiac too.

Anyone read the book yet?   hopefully he'll fully confess too and that will be made into a book.

Edited by Don Keibals