Champions League 2018-2019

sidis

I was going to post a lot of pictures here, but just go to this link:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/05/09/now-mouras-miracle-world-reacted-tottenhams-champions-league/

It's all newspapers world wide reacting to the result.
Just checking this out.... Its moura the same , spurs produce greatest comeback since tuesday night..... Brought a nice chuckle

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:

La liga president tebas supports CL ban for city and psg, calling them " playthings of a state".

Sounds about right.  Spain knows plenty about the autocratic state having it's own club, except it was even worse.  Fuck Madrid and fuck all their European trophies during Franco. 

• Like 2

On 5/12/2019 at 6:00 PM, victory88 said:

Saw Barca in Camp nou today.  One more thing crossed off the bucket list. 

+rep.  I became a fan after I got to see a game there during a work trip...and they lost 2-0 to Hercules.  On Catalunya Day no less.  

Sounds about right.  Spain knows plenty about the autocratic state having it's own club, except it was even worse.  Fuck Madrid and fuck all their European trophies during Franco. 
Most likely not the thread for it but isnt most of that conspiracy and exaggeration...not franco regime but the stories of him helping/making real win...believe real has 1 more title than barca during regime and barca had 5 to real 0 1939 to 53 when regime was at its most repressive...per reports/articles

14 hours ago, Bone3421 said:
17 hours ago, Dertyberd said:

Most likely not the thread for it but isnt most of that conspiracy and exaggeration...not franco regime but the stories of him helping/making real win...believe real has 1 more title than barca during regime and barca had 5 to real 0 1939 to 53 when regime was at its most repressive...per reports/articles

I'm sure there is some revisionist history that says otherwise, but from the stories I was told from old timers, there was pressure applied to players in the form of threats made to the families about the type of military service,  jobs, shake downs, monitoring, and jail if anyone in the family were found to be holding ideas against the regime.  You have to remember that people disappeared all the time during Franco.  I'm sure it was fine for the Spaniards, but for the Basque, Catalons, Gallegos, and the non fascists it was not so fun.  

The whole Franco era still doesn't get spoken about much in Spain, but you hear random anecdotes when folks get drunk.  My friends father played for Celta back in the early 60s and scored twice against Madrid in an exhibition.  Di Stafano even came over to compliment the 17 year old after the match about what a talent he was.  By the time he got back to Vigo his brother was locked up on political charges because he was a dock worker and was said to be talking about Unions.  Two weeks later their house mysteriously burned down.  Six months later he was "offered" his military service in the Navy so his family would be left alone.  Dude got injured during his service and never got to play again.  

Whole point of that story is that Franco's Spain was fucked up if you weren't one of them.  The regime most certainly pumped in money, resources, and civilian pressure Madrids way to secure players, facilities, and an advantage against its rivals.     

• Like 3

I'm sure there is some revisionist history that says otherwise, but from the stories I was told from old timers, there was pressure applied to players in the form of threats made to the families about the type of military service,  jobs, shake downs, monitoring, and jail if anyone in the family were found to be holding ideas against the regime.  You have to remember that people disappeared all the time during Franco.  I'm sure it was fine for the Spaniards, but for the Basque, Catalons, Gallegos, and the non fascists it was not so fun.  
The whole Franco era still doesn't get spoken about much in Spain, but you hear random anecdotes when folks get drunk.  My friends father played for Celta back in the early 60s and scored twice against Madrid in an exhibition.  Di Stafano even came over to compliment the 17 year old after the match about what a talent he was.  By the time he got back to Vigo his brother was locked up on political charges because he was a dock worker and was said to be talking about Unions.  Two weeks later their house mysteriously burned down.  Six months later he was "offered" his military service in the Navy so his family would be left alone.  Dude got injured during his service and never got to play again.  
Whole point of that story is that Franco's Spain was fucked up if you weren't one of them.  The regime most certainly pumped in money, resources, and civilian pressure Madrids way to secure players, facilities, and an advantage against its rivals.     
Yeah thats fucked....

And yeah ive only read some articles over the years. Real says it wasnt anything and barca says otherwise,but sounds like you got some first hand stories that supersede those

1 minute ago, MoJames said:

So, Athletic Bilbao is the team to root for?

It is certainly an honorable choice in my view, but I have no ties to the Basque Country.  I didn't know shit about Spain when I first went to study there.  My first match was the 3rd day I was in the country, Depor/United.  I went with the United away fans I had met in the bar on the train from Madrid.  From that day I have been a supporter of Depor and United, though most of my Spanish friends are Celta fans.  Then its always your "other" team, Madrid or Barca.  Purely political and/or geographical.  My ex FIL was full on Madrid, which sucked, but he made a good life for himself coming up under Franco.  

Greatest sports moment of my life and I've been to OU/TX, watched a MNC win at the Orange Bowl in college. Though United lost, it was a moment and feeling that can never be replicated.  All this reminiscing made me go find the highlights.  Magical fucking night.  We were so drunk we wondered into a swanky bar in downtown La Coruna after the match.  The President of Depor, Lendoiro, and his entourage rolled in ten minutes later a proceeded to get smashed with us.  We got pics together and he picked up the tab.  

• Like 1

Pochettino makes a joke that he asked Real if Spurs could stay in their player accommodations and that they said he could only stay there if he’s the coach. Real gets super butthurt and releases a statement. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/may/24/real-madrid-reject-mauricio-pochettino-claims-tottenham-training-ground-stay-champions-league-final

Pot 1 for next year...Liverpool,chelsea,man city, barca, bayern , psg, juventus, zenit st. petersburg

Pot 2... Spurs, real, atletico, shakhtar,dortmund, napoli...porto and ajax if they qualify

Pot 3...valencia, bayern leverkusen, salzburg,inter milan...qualifiers

Pot 4...atalanta, lille....qualifiers

10 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

Pot 1 for next year...Liverpool,chelsea,man city, barca, bayern , psg, juventus, zenit st. petersburg

Pot 2... Spurs, real, atletico, shakhtar,dortmund, napoli...porto and ajax if they qualify

Pot 3...valencia, bayern leverkusen, salzburg,inter milan...qualifiers

Pot 4...atalanta, lille....qualifiers

Of the teams that have qualified for the group stage it breaks down like this:

Pot 1: Liverpool (91.000), Chelsea (87.000), Barca (138.000), City (106.000), Juve (124.000), Bayern (128.000), PSG (103.000), Zenit (72.000)

Pot 2: Madrid (146.000), Atletico (127.000), Dortmund (85.000), Napoli (80.000), Shakhtar (80.000), Tottenham Hotspur (78.000)

Pot 2 or 3: Benfica (68.000), Lyon (61.500)

Pot 3: Bayer Leverkusen (61.000), Red Bull Salzburg (54.500), Valencia (37.000), Inter Milan (31.000)

Pot 3 or 4: Lokomotiv Moscow (28.500), Genk (25.000), Galatasaray (22.500), RB Leipzig (22.000)

Pot 4: Atalanta (14.945), Lille (11.699)

You are right about Porto (93.000) and Ajax (70.500) being able to nab the last two slots in Pot 2. Dynamo Kyiv (65.000) is the only other team that can take a Pot 2 slot coming out of qualifying rounds.

Overall, there are 6 slots up for grabs between 54 teams:
Preliminary round: 4 teams enter - 1 winner
First Qualifying Round: 1 winner + 31 new teams - 16 winners
Second Qualifying Round: 16 winners + 8 new teams - 12 winners
Third Qualifying Round: 12 winners + 8 new teams - 10 winners
Playoff Round: 10 winners + 2 new teams - 6 winners that move to the group stage.

• Like 2

They are in the top 20 for club coefficient and consistently have been up there. I wouldn't think of them being an easy out, especially with the travel.

This isn't last year's draw when the Russian winner was Lokomotiv, who just wasn't that good and would only win 1 game against 5 losses in group play this year.

2 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

They need to re-work the points system. Chelsea finished ahead of Liverpool for co-efficient points this year. And Arsenal finished tied with Tottenham. Ridiculous. 

Barca also finished ahead of everyone too.

I think they over-value wins too much and undervalue UCL games over Europa league games. Plus Europa teams get a bump from extra games (not to mention easier games from playing in the JV).

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2019 at 8:21 AM, Captain Ron said:

Of the teams that have qualified for the group stage it breaks down like this:

Pot 1: Liverpool (91.000), Chelsea (87.000), Barca (138.000), City (106.000), Juve (124.000), Bayern (128.000), PSG (103.000), Zenit (72.000)

Pot 2: Madrid (146.000), Atletico (127.000), Dortmund (85.000), Napoli (80.000), Shakhtar (80.000), Tottenham Hotspur (78.000)

Pot 2 or 3: Benfica (68.000), Lyon (61.500)

Pot 3: Bayer Leverkusen (61.000), Red Bull Salzburg (54.500), Valencia (37.000), Inter Milan (31.000)

Pot 3 or 4: Lokomotiv Moscow (28.500), Genk (25.000), Galatasaray (22.500), RB Leipzig (22.000)

Pot 4: Atalanta (14.945), Lille (11.699)

You are right about Porto (93.000) and Ajax (70.500) being able to nab the last two slots in Pot 2. Dynamo Kyiv (65.000) is the only other team that can take a Pot 2 slot coming out of qualifying rounds.

Overall, there are 6 slots up for grabs between 54 teams:
Preliminary round: 4 teams enter - 1 winner
First Qualifying Round: 1 winner + 31 new teams - 16 winners
Second Qualifying Round: 16 winners + 8 new teams - 12 winners
Third Qualifying Round: 12 winners + 8 new teams - 10 winners
Playoff Round: 10 winners + 2 new teams - 6 winners that move to the group stage.

Because everyone is excited about this part of the equation.

Group 1 (seeded sides in bold)

Astana (KAZ)
Ludogorets (BUL)
Crvena zvezda (SRB)
Shkëndija (MKD)
AIK (SWE)
Sūduva (LTU)
CFR Cluj (ROU)
Ferencváros (HUN)
Nõmme Kalju (EST)
Ararat-Armenia (ARM)

Group 2 (seeded sides in bold)