Porsche maintenance

Superhero

Some of you know I had 2 major seizures this year and the DMV took away my driving privileges. I gave back my company car in exchange for some money for Ubers and such.

So I’m probably eligible to drive at the end of October, but getting a new company car will take at least 4 months.

I’ve been looking at older (200x) Boxster Ss, and they aren’t as expensive as I thought. I’m just not sure about the maintenance costs. I’ve read that Porsches from that era has trouble with IMS bearings, and the would cost about $2K to replace. And outside of that? Are they relatively trouble free? Or will I be taking it to the shop every 2 months?

The early Boxsters ('98-'01?) had issues with cylinder wall failures, that can be catastrophic - it requires a new engine. The IMS bearings are a failure point for cars in the range that you're looking at, but it seems to be overblown. I've had two 996's with the same potential bearing issue, and both are still running. I'd plan to replace the bearing every 75-80k miles, or go for the solution provided by LN Engineering. 

Overall, the Boxster S is a great handling car with good power at a cheap price. I'd buy the best example that you can afford, and budget $2k/year for maintenance. Any other questions, let me know.

What kind of service are we talking about for $2K/year?  Is it more schedule or mileage based?

I ask because afte I get a new company car, this would be relegated to being a weekend car; or to drop off the kids at school.

FWIW, I saw a 2002 with 17K miles going for $18K. There are others with higher mileage, and priced competitively to a similar era / mileage S2000.

The s2000 is rising in value, the Boxsters haven't bottomed yet, due to the bad rep the IMS issue gives them. They also have a few other common issues that cost mid hundreds and up to fix, AOS air oil separator, coolant expansion tank, RMS rear main seal (do this with clutch with IMS to combine labor).

These items are largely time-based. With your light use, you'll never need to worry about them again after fix. My suggestion if you're really wanting a Boxster is buy one from a PCA anal retentive owner who has already done the above jobs. Pay a little more - any of those 3 jobs is over 1k alone. Then just enjoy the car. Browse the PCA classifieds and 6speedonline and Rennlist for cars for sale.

Be aware a 996 Carrera is priced not much higher than the same year Boxster. They have their own problems, but to me are the better value for maintenance.

• Hook 'Em 1

987 has a bit more appeal but 986S....for pretty much the same power there's the S2000 with a timeless interior and design and almost guaranteed durability. 

There's a 2006 with ~10k miles for 30k on rennlist.

I know you had a Miata.  And I had a S2000.  And between these aforementioned cars a brand new Miata is what I would do.  2018+ safety; less feminine styling; still peppy engine and transmission; no modern-car annoyances (touchscreens, combined HVAC+infotainment, eBrake, etc); and somehow still managed a <2500 curb weight....... that sort of formula won't live on forever

10 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

The s2000 is rising in value, the Boxsters haven't bottomed yet, due to the bad rep the IMS issue gives them. They also have a few other common issues that cost mid hundreds and up to fix, AOS air oil separator, coolant expansion tank, RMS rear main seal (do this with clutch with IMS to combine labor).

These items are largely time-based. With your light use, you'll never need to worry about them again after fix. My suggestion if you're really wanting a Boxster is buy one from a PCA anal retentive owner who has already done the above jobs. Pay a little more - any of those 3 jobs is over 1k alone. Then just enjoy the car. Browse the PCA classifieds and 6speedonline and Rennlist for cars for sale.

Be aware a 996 Carrera is priced not much higher than the same year Boxster. They have their own problems, but to me are the better value for maintenance.

Or.....

buy from carmax and get their warranty for up to five years. Drive the doors off and let them pay for any repairs after your 100 go-pay. There are some articles out there about doing his for high maintenance cars. 

Or.....
buy from carmax and get their warranty for up to five years. Drive the doors off and let them pay for any repairs after your 100 go-pay. There are some articles out there about doing his for high maintenance cars. 

I would recommend getting a certified with extended warranty built into price. Everything is extremely expensive. Not worth owning one out of warranty in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8/30/2018 at 4:29 PM, Superhero said:

Some of you know I had 2 major seizures this year and the DMV took away my driving privileges. I gave back my company car in exchange for some money for Ubers and such.

So I’m probably eligible to drive at the end of October, but getting a new company car will take at least 4 months.

I’ve been looking at older (200x) Boxster Ss, and they aren’t as expensive as I thought. I’m just not sure about the maintenance costs. I’ve read that Porsches from that era has trouble with IMS bearings, and the would cost about $2K to replace. And outside of that? Are they relatively trouble free? Or will I be taking it to the shop every 2 months?

All of mine have been. I’ve had 5 of their cars. The one I’ve had the longest is a 2005 carerra s (997) that I bought back in 2005. Still have it. Still drove it hard. I’ve been lucky to not have any ims or rms issues with it. Mine has absolutely been the best and most reliable car I’ve ever had. In 14 years I’ve dont oil changes, scheduled interval maintenance (cost is dependent on mileage interval) and tires. Other than that I’ve replaced a water pump.  

One rule is make sure the car has been driven at least 6k miles per year on average. The cars that get driven are the cars that stay on the road. The garage queens that aren’t driven much are the ones they end up being a bit more trouble. 

Good luck with the search.  They’re great, reliable cars for sure. 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2018 at 10:14 PM, Superhero said:

What kind of service are we talking about for $2K/year?  Is it more schedule or mileage based?

I ask because afte I get a new company car, this would be relegated to being a weekend car; or to drop off the kids at school.

FWIW, I saw a 2002 with 17K miles going for $18K. There are others with higher mileage, and priced competitively to a similar era / mileage S2000.

Mileage based or once per year. Mileage is like 30k and 50k replace spark plugs and shit like that. Otherwise is basically oil and basic shit like wiper blades. 

• Like 1

Boxster S is a great car. The trick is finding a reliable one that has not been run into the ground or neglected. Like mentioned before, an out of warranty Porsche can be very costly. I would research common issues to look for based on the model year. Plus, if buying from an individual, I would grill the hell out of them upkeep, teenaged drivers and wrecks.

Once you find a good one you will be hooked. Great cars. Makes you smile every time you pull out of the driveway or finish washing it Saturday morning. Best of luck w the purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

As an owner of two P-cars that I procured at 7-10 years old each with very low mileage, I say proceed with caution. These cars do NOT fare well if not driven regularly. Can’t tell you the number of problems I’ve had with both. I go and buy one with 30k miles and it was a champ. Crazy town I know. But it’s true. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bert Orange said:

As an owner of two P-cars that I procured at 7-10 years old each with very low mileage, I say proceed with caution. These cars do NOT fare well if not driven regularly. Can’t tell you the number of problems I’ve had with both. I go and buy one with 30k miles and it was a champ. Crazy town I know. But it’s true. 

Speaking of cars, you need to give us a Trackhawk update in the other car thread.  How are you liking it?

54 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Speaking of cars, you need to give us a Trackhawk update in the other car thread.  How are you liking it?

Will do. It’s a blast. And incredibly manageable and comfy when I don’t feel like taking her WOT. 

Debadged the whole thing. I get some funny looks from folks that think it’s just a JGC. 

6 hours ago, Bert Orange said:

Will do. It’s a blast. And incredibly manageable and comfy when I don’t feel like taking her WOT. 

Debadged the whole thing. I get some funny looks from folks that think it’s just a JGC. 

Are you in Austin? I've seen a debadged  Trackhawk around S. Lamar/Barton Springs area a few times.

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 11:29 AM, Bert Orange said:

yep.  drive them, and drive them hard and they're some of the best, most reliable cars on the road.  Put them in the garage and they get very cranky in a hurry. 

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I am looking to get into a 996 or cayman s in the next 3 years. It's a total midlife crisis purchase without destroying my pocket book on the purchase itself. I don't think the C8 is dropping anytime soon so the Porsche dream will do.

Without records,  would it be just a wise idea to have the IMS done if we are looking at anything over 75k miles?

You'll get all kinds of opinions on it, my opinion is don't bother if it hasn't failed by then. Many of these cars never have IMS issues. Do oil analysis and frequent changes if you want to be paranoid, but even that is arguable whether analysis gives you any meaningful early warning. I'd just get it and drive it. Replace IMS whenever you need a clutch.

Do use the lack of IMS or lack of records as a bargaining point, pay 3k less than you would for one with proven IMS replacement - then, if it does fail on you, you pay the 3k and fix it, end up with the same car same price.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

isn't that all of them?

To me at least, there are three types of Porsche people. Those that buy them as a status symbol (which they are not). Those that are real enthusiests but all they do is wipe them with a diaper, take them to cars and coffee, talk about the history of Porsche and take trips on "curvy" roads.  Then, those that drive them they way they are intended.  The first two are annoying.   

• Like 1

On 5/12/2023 at 8:07 AM, Atxracer said:

To me at least, there are three types of Porsche people. Those that buy them as a status symbol (which they are not). Those that are real enthusiests but all they do is wipe them with a diaper, take them to cars and coffee, talk about the history of Porsche and take trips on "curvy" roads.  Then, those that drive them they way they are intended.  The first two are annoying.   

OP should get an early 80s SC and  be the kind that drives it all the time.  Driving those old things reguarly is a lot of the maintenance.

17 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Porsche people are better than people who own Italian cars.

Generally speaking, I don't disagree with that.

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Porsche drivers are wanna be Italian car owners 

That's not true.  I have both and know a lot of people that have both. They are very, very different cars.

As far as the OP, in my experience only, I have basically had no issues with any Porsche, ever.  That includes Boxsters, Carrera's, Gt3's, Cayenne's and Turbos. That also includes beating the shit out of some of them on track consistently.  I think the only issue I had, besides normal consumables of tires, pads, rotors, clutch was a coolant hose on a 997 GT3 popped in a turn once (which is a known issue where it rubbed against a bolt on the exhaust).  That could have been ugly but was repaired and never an issue again.  Oil changes, pads and rotors are super easy on just about any Porsche for a dyi.  But, once you start getting into dropping the engine for clutches or replacing spark plugs, that can get kind of expensive depending on the model.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Like others have said, great cars, generally very reliable. Total blast to drive. There is nothing cheap when it comes to maintenance and repairs. Need a new windshield, $3000+. Time for tires, that’s another $2500+. Brakes, just bend over and take it. One year scheduled maintenance with oil chance, $1500 at the dealership.

2/3 of Porsche owners baby their cars. So the odds are you will find a 2-4 year old off lease w low miles in near showroom condition. Bad news is those hold their values so the cost of entry is still high for a used car.

My advice is start looking for a CPO less then 50k miles with a 100k mile warranty attached. That will cover your ass on all the non consumables. Factor in additional 3-5 grand a year for everything else because you should drive the hell out of it.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, PorscheGuy said:

Like others have said, great cars, generally very reliable. Total blast to drive. There is nothing cheap when it comes to maintenance and repairs. Need a new windshield, $3000+. Time for tires, that’s another $2500+. Brakes, just bend over and take it. One year scheduled maintenance with oil chance, $1500 at the dealership.

2/3 of Porsche owners baby their cars. So the odds are you will find a 2-4 year old off lease w low miles in near showroom condition. Bad news is those hold their values so the cost of entry is still high for a used car.

My advice is start looking for a CPO less then 50k miles with a 100k mile warranty attached. That will cover your ass on all the non consumables. Factor in additional 3-5 grand a year for everything else because you should drive the hell out of it.

User name slaps 

If you Porsche guys are in Austin area, I strongly rec Northwest Imports.  They have been taking care of my MB's for 25 years or so and they have lots of high-end Porsche clients.  Solid people.  Very straightforward and way less expensive (and better) than dealerships.

By all means, I would not recommend Porsche dealerships for non warranty work. A good independent shop is the way to go. Furthermore I would recommend staying the hell away from Park Place Porsche’s shop. It got so bad I started taking mine to Autobahn in Ft Worth for anything that was covered. I was able to prepay for all the scheduled maintenance and get a significant discount.

That's interesting on Park Place. The guy there that does track stuff is pretty notorious for being the best in the business. If you need anything track or race related, he's the guy. But, definitely not cheap.

As an indy, I have a lot of experience with Mayo up there and he is a very good.

On 5/16/2023 at 9:34 AM, PorscheGuy said:

By all means, I would not recommend Porsche dealerships for non warranty work. A good independent shop is the way to go. Furthermore I would recommend staying the hell away from Park Place Porsche’s shop. It got so bad I started taking mine to Autobahn in Ft Worth for anything that was covered. I was able to prepay for all the scheduled maintenance and get a significant discount.

The Big Lebowski Autobahn Album Cover Die Cut Glossy Fridge Magnet | eBay