Howard Stern Show

mulletpelini

No, there was nothing really compelling about the interview from the part I heard. She sidestepped most of his questions about the interesting parts of her life.

She’s saving that for her show/movie whatever it is. Did he bring up the Tim Allen exposing himself allegation? He’s calling complete bullshit on it.

Hopped in the truck this morning and it’s another replay of the Springsteen reactions. I’m guessing they don’t just replay the interview because of HBO? Nothing good on 101 so I decided to switch channels. Anyway what Sirius XM channels do y’all turn to when you don’t feel like listening to repeats? I’ve been trying Team Coco on 106, Conan is just so damn sharp and funny, even though his cohosts are a little annoying. Any decent recommendations?

6 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

Hopped in the truck this morning and it’s another replay of the Springsteen reactions. I’m guessing they don’t just replay the interview because of HBO? Nothing good on 101 so I decided to switch channels. Anyway what Sirius XM channels do y’all turn to when you don’t feel like listening to repeats? I’ve been trying Team Coco on 106, Conan is just so damn sharp and funny, even though his cohosts are a little annoying. Any decent recommendations?

103 faction.  Jim and Sam in the morning and Bonfire.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, GoPokes83 said:

I didn’t hear all of the interview but Mike Shinoda seems like an ok guy. But why was he on the show, just to relive 2007?

I didn’t hear the interview but he still has a lot of projects going and won a Grammy last year, so probably promoting something. 

• Like 1

I guess they have time they need to fill, but the Will Smith/Chris Rock bit is hard to take. I’m fairly sure I can ask any random person in HEB to do a Will Smith impression and it would at least be as good as this! I’m getting to really dread the door knock. I gave up on Saturday Night Live a long time ago, so I had no idea who Jay Pharaoh is.

LOL

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2023-03-06/book-of-animal-secrets-by-david-agus-usc-is-rife-with-plagiarism?fbclid=IwAR1zxXpmXXnS7h1oMRKjJ0a9duXi8dpRcf6DB8hL-rIQV8pzD0coUmfW_D8

We found 95 instances of plagiarism in a USC scientist’s new book. Sales have been suspended

Spoiler

The publication of a new book by Dr. David Agus, the media-friendly USC oncologist who leads the Lawrence J. Ellison Institute for Transformative Medicine, was shaping up to be a high-profile event.

Agus promoted “The Book of Animal Secrets: Nature’s Lessons for a Long and Happy Life” with appearances on CBS News, where he serves as a medical contributor, and “The Howard Stern Show,” where he is a frequent guest. Entrepreneur Arianna Huffington hosted a dinner party at her home in his honor. The title hit No. 1 on Amazon’s list of top-selling books about animals a week before its March 7 publication.

However, a Times investigation found at least 95 separate passages in the book that resemble — sometimes word for word — text that originally appeared in other published sources available on the internet. The passages are not credited or acknowledged in the book or its endnotes.

The Times contacted Agus and the book’s publisher, Simon & Schuster, with its findings late last week. On Monday, both announced that sales of the book will be suspended immediately pending a rewrite that includes appropriate credit for the passages in question.

“I was recently made aware that in writing The Book of Animal Secrets we relied upon passages from various sources without attribution, and that we used other authors’ words. I want to sincerely apologize to the scientists and writers whose work or words were used or not fully attributed,” Agus said in a statement. “I take any claims of plagiarism seriously.”

Agus added that he asked Simon & Schuster to pause the book’s publication, and the company agreed. 

A smiling Dr. David Agus on the cover of "The Book of Animal Secrets: Nature's Lessons for a Long and Happy Life"

Dr. David Agus’ latest book, “The Book of Animal Secrets: Nature’s Lessons for a Long and Happy Life,” was scheduled to publish Tuesday.
(David Agus, Simon & Schuster)

“Dr. Agus has decided, with our full support, to recall the book, at his own expense, until a fully revised and corrected edition can be released,” the publisher said in a statement. “As a result, Simon & Schuster has ceased distribution of all formats of the book and advised our retail and distribution partners to return copies of the book.” 

The passages in question range in length from a sentence or two to several continuous paragraphs. The sources borrowed from without attribution include publications such as the New York Times and National Geographic, scientific journals, Wikipedia and the websites of academic institutions.

The book also leans heavily on uncredited material from smaller and lesser-known outlets. A section in the book on queen ants appears to use several sentences from an Indiana newspaper column by a retired medical writer. Long sections of a chapter on the cardiac health of giraffes appear to have been lifted from a 2016 blog post on the website of a South African safari company titled, “The Ten Craziest Facts You Should Know About a Giraffe.”

The book also takes sentences written or spoken by other scientists and presents them as Agus’ original thoughts.

“At the moment, even in mice which have been genetically engineered to have the plaques associated with Alzheimer’s Disease, there are no tangles and very little damage to brain cells,” Simon Lovestone, a professor of translational neuroscience at the University of Oxford, said in a 2017 interview with Oxford University’s news service about a study he led. “This makes it difficult to find new targets for curing the disease, as well as studying how a potential drug can change the disease. But if altered insulin signaling can make an animal more susceptible to Alzheimer’s Disease, we might be able [to] produce mice that are a true model of the disease, which we can then test to find new treatments.”

Those sentences appear nearly verbatim in Agus’ book, with no mention of Lovestone or the university’s news release.

Page 224 of Agus’ book mentions “a seminal 2017 study, led by a team at the University of Oxford,” with a footnote citing the research paper. But three pages later, in a passage on the relationship between insulin and Alzheimer’s disease, the following sentences appear: “[E]ven in mice that have been genetically engineered to have the plaques associated with Alzheimer’s disease, there are no tangles and very little damage to brain cells. This makes it hard to study how a potential drug can change the disease. We’re not about to start experimenting on dolphins in a laboratory setting the way we do with mice. But if altered insulin signaling can make an animal more susceptible to Alzheimer’s disease, we might be able to produce mice that are a true model of the disease and test them to find new treatments.”

Other passages repeat text that appears in strikingly similar form in scientific journal articles.

Exploring the animal kingdom is something of a departure from Agus’ normal research interests, which have received millions of dollars of funding from the National Institutes of Health. He has published scores of academic papers, mostly on cancer. In “Animal Secrets,” he describes himself as reporting on the work of other scientists researching nonhuman species.

“I’m not pitching a tent to watch chimpanzees in Tanzania or digging through ant colonies to find the long-lived queen, for example,” he writes. “I went out and spoke to the amazing scientists around the world who do these kinds of experiments, and what I uncovered was astonishing.”

In the acknowledgments, he lists 14 scientists “who spent time with me” for the project, many of whom are quoted in the book. But the book is not always clear on the source of quotes attributed to these figures.

Of the Claremont Graduate School professor Paul Zak, who is cited as one of his interviewees, Agus writes on Page 286: “[O]xytocin is, Zak says, the social glue that adheres families, communities, and societies while simultaneously acting as an ‘economic lubricant’ that enables us to engage in all sorts of transactions.”

That language about oxytocin appeared in a 2010 profile of Zak in the magazine Fast Company, which wrote: “It is, Zak says, the ‘social glue’ that adheres families, communities, and societies, and as such, acts as an ‘economic lubricant’ that enables us to engage in all sorts of transactions.”

Agus worked on “Animal Secrets” with writer Kristin Loberg, who is credited in the acknowledgments section as his “collaborator.” She has not responded to requests to discuss the book. 

USC’s Keck School of Medicine said in a statement that “the university takes allegations of plagiarism very seriously and has processes in place to review such matters. We are unable to comment further at this time given the confidential nature of personnel matters.”

A CBS News spokesman said the network is looking into the matter and that Agus has no appearances planned. “As a news organization, we take accusations of plagiarism seriously,” he said. 

Representatives of the Ellison Institute have not commented on the book.

Barbara Glatt, a forensic plagiarism investigator based in Chicago, reviewed a section in Agus’ book about blood circulation in giraffes and compared it to the safari company’s blog post. As Glatt requested, The Times provided only the relevant passage from the book, without information on its title or author.

The word-for-word copying, the similarities in sentence structure and the organization of entire paragraphs — all without attribution — led her to conclude that “plagiarism has occurred.”

“It’s egregious,” Glatt said in an interview. 

At a time when artificial intelligence programs can churn out refined text, she was also struck by how low-tech the job appeared to be. “This is not at all sophisticated,” she said.

It’s very bad. The examples I’m looking at look like literally copy-paste jobs.

— Elisabeth Bik, a scientific integrity consultant

Elisabeth Bik is a microbiologist and scientific integrity consultant who specializes in identifying manipulated data and images in scientific research. The book passages she reviewed at The Times’ request required far less forensic work, she said.

“It’s very bad. The examples I’m looking at look like literally copy-paste jobs,” said Bik, who described them as “patchwork plagiarism.” 

“If a person tries to make money by selling a book, you at least would hope it would be original,” she said. “It shouldn’t matter if you’re a scientist or a doctor or not. It doesn’t matter. You have to credit your sources, and you cannot literally lift text from another person’s work without giving credit. That is plagiarism.”

Agus did not immediately respond to requests to comment directly on the plagiarism allegations.

More at the link behind a paywall. 

Edited by Vito Andolini

Ha! What a buffoon. I learned very early in my educational career you could write a 10 page paper with a quarter page of original thought as long as you properly cited. Surprised S&S didn't catch it earlier. Howard tends to attract and believe the hucksters like Agus, Sarno and Drew. Probably because his RnR persona was also a sham.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2023 at 12:17 PM, GoPokes83 said:

Howard may be on suicide watch over the Dr Agus revelations. Could explain the week off!

Howard can console himself with the knowledge that Oprah has unleashed far more quacks and imbeciles upon the world than Howard ever has.

Show’s weird. He’ll abandon old great guests but is willing to prop up other “has beens?” He had the Andrew Dice Clay impersonator on like 4-5 times yesterday, but won’t have actual Dice on anymore, (Same with a lot of other people) yet Billy Corrigan seems to have full access whenever he tries to make new music that sounds exactly like his old music.

On 3/28/2023 at 11:10 AM, GoPokes83 said:

Show’s weird. He’ll abandon old great guests but is willing to prop up other “has beens?” He had the Andrew Dice Clay impersonator on like 4-5 times yesterday, but won’t have actual Dice on anymore, (Same with a lot of other people) yet Billy Corrigan seems to have full access whenever he tries to make new music that sounds exactly like his old music.

Howard can only relate to fellow malignant narcissists. Dice took off the jacket and self-reflected. Howard, Billy, and the like never do that so when others do, it makes them uncomfortable and they avoid being around such people. The Dice impersonator allows Howard to interact with his stagnant thinking and pretend he's evolved by protesting something the impersonator says instead of a true conversation with the real Dice that would force Howard to face his own past of misogyny and homophobia.

All you have to worry about with Billy is to stroke his ego enough that he'll stroke yours back. They can remind each other that everything they've ever done was great and meaningful and any failures were someone else's fault. While conveniently ignoring the pile of broken careers and actual bodies that is their human legacy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

On 3/28/2023 at 8:27 AM, 4th&Five said:

It’s becoming unlistenable on most days. Just boring with the same old shit every day. 

11 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Starting the show today discussing staff Uber ratings. Brilliant stuff. 

So, you were listening to the unlistenable (sic) show?

Maybe it isn't as good as it was in Artie's prime, but it's still better than anything else on the radio most of the time.

I usually go through the whole show in 30 minutes or so and when he has someone on that I like I listen to the interviews because they’re still good. I don’t need daily updates on his mom or the same 5 stories all the time about his dad. I spend more time listening to podcasts these days. 

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Bender Bending Rodriguez said:

I’m probably old and out of touch, but I had to Google the guests he’s had in Miami so far.  Yesterday’s interview was boring. Listened for about five minutes before bailing. 

I hope you at least enjoyed learning about Mrs. Jonas. She Googles good.

And yes, if you had to Google Jon Bon Jovi and Pitbull you are very old, and very out of touch.

• 1 month later...

I haven’t heard today’s (Tuesday) show, but based on the love fest yesterday, I’d say you’re on to something. Howard is desperate for a relevant interview to get him back on HBO. And during the Swift interview , HS will not utter a single word about friend of the show and former Swiftbanger Jake Gyllenhaal, who she’s torched in song. Actually, she’s dropped bombs on half of Hollywood.

Edited to fix Gylennhaal spelling and point out Swift is apparently close to Ed Sheeran, Howard’s biggest fan. He probably brokered the deal.

Edited by Vito Andolini
  • Like 1

I haven’t heard today’s (Tuesday) show, but based on the love fest yesterday, I’d say you’re on to something. Howard is desperate for a relevant interview to get him back on HBO. And during the Swift interview , HS will not utter a single word about friend of the show and former Swiftbanger Jake Gyllenhaal, who she’s torched in song. Actually, she’s dropped bombs on half of Hollywood.
Edited to fix Gylennhaal spelling and point out Swift is apparently close to Ed Sheeran, Howard’s biggest fan. He probably brokered the deal.

Probably a solid 40 minutes of TS and her concerts, then a TS game.