Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

I think this game will be great for him. He thought it was over in the 4th and the team believed it as well. Lesson learned without having to take an L. Huge win. 

Some lessons don’t require that type of learning. Most people knew.  Luckily it’s a win and a teachable moment instead of a brick wall to the momentum the team is building.

I do think we played conservative on o in the 4th. However, they had 2 big plays. That one wher Locke thought he was still on the sideline screwing with his chin strap and that Murray run. I probably won’t rewatch the game but I bet someone screwed the pooch on that Murray run. They have some seriously explosive players on o. Another game where our o won the game with the ball in their hands. It’s progress.

14 minutes ago, FizzleFish said:

I do think we played conservative on o in the 4th. However, they had 2 big plays. That one wher Locke thought he was still on the sideline screwing with his chin strap and that Murray run. I probably won’t rewatch the game but I bet someone screwed the pooch on that Murray run. They have some seriously explosive players on o. Another game where our o won the game with the ball in their hands. It’s progress.

we took poor angles a lot.  we weren't adjusting to their speed.

18 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Your up 21.... I'd be pissed if he wasn't conservative

Every second we "ran" off the clock was a second that OU didn't have on that last drive. Herman played it right. He made a couple of shaky calls, but I have to think at this point he will see what he did wrong on that next to last drive and fix it.

He has set the stage for the next Vince Young run that could easily take us to some title games over the next six/seven years. Don't underestimate the importance of this win. It is Yuge. Recruiting is about to go thru the fucking stratosphere. Top talent, national contention every year, OU domination. It's everything. Congrats to this very amazing team.

• Like 3

While we almost gave that one away I refuse to complain about that because this game is what it is. I had a feeling it would be a classic. I (and we) is (are) a temperamental fanbase. It's what have you done for me lately. Post-Maryland... yeah. But we just beat OU. I'll pop my crow in the microwave, replay the game, circle jerk with the rest of you heathens and see where this takes us. 

Hook 'em. 

53 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Your up 21.... I'd be pissed if he wasn't conservative

Why? We were ass raping them all game. Why switch up? Go for the kill. How many Black Saturdays did Stoops hand us? He never got conservative. When will coaches learn that if you play conservative, it can lead to this? We took the air out of the offense and fell apart. OU had zero answer for our offense.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Why? We were ass raping them all game. Why switch up? Go for the kill. How many Black Saturdays did Stoops hand us? He never got conservative. When will coaches learn that if you play conservative, it can lead to this? We took the air out of the offense and fell apart. OU had zero answer for our offense.

When I sober up yeah that'll be my problem. How many times have we seen OU be doing that to us and it ends with them north of 60 while we can't cross the 50. Step on their throat. 4th quarter came around and we realized what was happening and then opened the door for what should have been a wire to wire ass whooping. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Every dropped pass is an extra 40 seconds OU has to come back. There are times, against certain opponents, when you just have to batten down the hatches and hold on. We went conservative with a big lead. That's the way to go.

7 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Why? Because we were playing way better than we've seen all year, last thing I want to see if hurry up 3 and out and Murray on the field. You beat OU by keeping their Heisman candidate off the field

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut

Just now, BurntOrangeSatire, LLC said:

When I sober up yeah that'll be my problem. How many times have we seen OU be doing that to us and it ends with them north of 60 while we can't cross the 50. Step on their throat. 4th quarter came around and we realized what was happening and then opened the door for what should have been a wire to wire ass whooping. 

Exactly. Once we got to 45, we thought we could just run clock. Doesn't work like that when you are playing a prolific offense in OU. They can score and score fast. I so wanted to score 60 on these fucks. We keep playing the way we were and we easily get there. Texas could have covered the O/U by themselves haha.

• Like 1

Just now, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Why? Because we were playing way better than we've seen all year, last thing I want to see if hurry up 3 and outstanding and Murray on the field. You beat OU by keeping their Heisman candidate off the field

But why change up? That killed our momentum and damn near cost us the game. Just keep being aggressive. I disagree. You beat OU by doing what we did. Score and score often. We scored on 7 of our first 8 possessions. Doesn't matter what Murray does if we keep scoring on our side. We went into a shell and it went to shit. 

Just now, Vic Mackey said:

But why change up? That killed our momentum and damn near cost us the game. Just keep being aggressive. I disagree. You beat OU by doing what we did. Score and score often. We scored on 7 of our first 8 possessions. Doesn't matter what Murray does if we keep scoring on our side. We went into a shell and it went to shit. 

Because law of average says our offense would not continue at the pace it was on. We won because we kept our offense on the field and wore their defense down and kept their o off the field and gave our d just enough to win it

Saw this posted elsewhere:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/oklahoma-vs-texas-score-no-19-longhorns-upset-no-7-sooners-arrive-in-big-12-title-race/

Texas looked "back" when it was up 45-24 heading into the fourth quarter ... and then it promptly blew a 21-point lead by allowing Oklahoma to score three quick touchdowns in about a six-minute stretch. That's not "back," but regardless, the win was the biggest under coach Tom Herman and could actually mark a true turning point for the program. Remember: it's been nearly a decade since the Horns were nationally relevant like this. 

As for when we can officially announce Texas as "back" and put the meme to bed for good, let's see how Texas does moving forward. Herman has a knack for being a great underdog. He's now 10-4 overall and 13-1 against the spread in these situations. His record is much less exemplary as a favorite. And chances are Texas will be the favorite for its remaining games. 

Tommy Boy is a very bad front runner, as exhibited today.  He's still got things to prove.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

I agree. Herman and CO had a good game plan but became a but too conservative. Normally I'm all for running the rock and killing the clock but ousux secondary had no answers for our 2 wide outs. 

We were doing fine until the penalties in the 4th, running it down their throat. I only had a problem with a couple of the play calls when we were trying to milk the clock. Last year we lose this game, guys were stepping up and made plays. 

We whipped their ass for the majority of the game, really wish we could have blown them out by 20+. The last time we blew a Dirt Burglar team out from wire to wire was 2005 but fuck it we won (and Murray cried) I'll take it, next game up. 

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

I was saying the whole game that we weren't going to keep them out of the endzone, we just have to keep scoring. Low and behold we were doing both. 4th quarter rolls around and the offense was unrecognizable, defense starts getting tired, OU starts clawing back at us. We started to play not to lose rather than playing to win. That's an ingredient is this recipe that has been Texas football. It was like watching us go back out on O and the whole dynamic was, "Now what?". It's OU for fuck's sake. Break their fucking neck when we have the boot heel right there. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Because law of average says our offense would not continue at the pace it was on. We won because we kept our offense on the field and wore their defense down and kept their o off the field and gave our d just enough to win it

I don't buy into the law of averages stuff in a game like today. 7 of 8 possessions is not some fluke run. There are games when the opposing defense has zero answer. This was one of those games. We did whatever we wanted. We were more physical at every position. 10min is too much time to be worrying about the clock. Just keep doing what you are doing and we get to 60 with ease and Murray becomes irrelevant because there is nothing he can do about our offense scoring.

Now if we are up 21 with say 5min to go, then sure, start running clock. 10min is an eternity in college football, especially with one of the best offenses in the country on the other side.

• Like 4

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas
  • immamac unfeatured this topic