Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

7 minutes ago, horn.g20 said:

he's the father of a wide receiver who isn't good enough to start on a team full of horrible receivers.

and somehow it's the fans' fault?

Seems there are plenty of people here with less skin in the game than him who freely express their opinions. 

15 hours ago, BradInATX said:

PSA: y'all sound like aggy calling for Bellicheck coaching in College Station when you discuss Dabo as a real possibility to replace Herman. Texas has nothing to offer that Clemson doesn't outside of an intangible and rapidly fading "blueblood" status which nobody gives a shit about.

To be fair, only one moron is toting this scenario.

• Like 1

What kind of person is our head coach? Exactly who we thought he was. While the University struggles with an epic $180M deficit, millions have lost their jobs, his black players struggle for social justice, and he continues to fail as a coach, he’s making absolutely sure he scrapes back that last 10% of his huge pay package. After all a one year delay of 10% of his pay is such a massive hardship.

It’s all okay though. There are thousands of suckers, I mean fans and alumni, who are more than happy to pick up the shortage.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2020/10/05/texas-pay-back-coaches-taking-salary-reductions-due-pandemic/3631873001/

17 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

What kind of person is our head coach? Exactly who we thought he was. While the University struggles with an epic $180M deficit, millions have lost their jobs, his black players struggle for social justice, and he continues to fail as a coach, he’s making absolutely sure he scrapes back that last 10% of his huge pay package. After all a one year delay of 10% of his pay is such a massive hardship.

It’s all okay though. There are thousands of suckers, I mean fans and alumni, who are more than happy to pick up the shortage.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2020/10/05/texas-pay-back-coaches-taking-salary-reductions-due-pandemic/3631873001/

Wait until you find out how much he's grifting from the University overall.  His 'car allowance' which is a glorified arrangement whereby he, his wife, and all his top assistants get new car leases comped in exchange for that dealership association to get top billing at UT athletics competitions. His deferred comp/defined benefit NPV.   His comped memberships at UT Golf Club, UT Club, Lone Star Society, etc.  Plus comped legal and accounting advice by 'preferred providers' that are already attached as outside counsel for UT.  His base salary is one thing, but take the NPV of everything else, including future income streams, he's shaking us down for about $6mm per year.  Again, we're paying Clemson prices for A&M results.  He seems like a decent guy, but I'm on record since 2017 of just understanding what the fuck y'all saw in him that made you fall in love.  He's a solid coach with perhaps a bright future down the road.  But he's not $6mm/compete against OU/win hardware good.  He's just not.  I admit, I was totally sold on Charlie Strong.  I thought he was gonna right the ship.  I was wrong.  But Tom Herman was just an overpaid shitheap since day one.  There was never any doubt. 

He's played us brilliantly.  If he could scheme against TCU like he schemed against LHF members, we'd be booking tickets to the CFP right now.  

Bro, Herman's grill game is strong.  And he beat ousux with the underdog UH Cougars that one time.  Then he talked shit to the pizza face aggy reporter on a radio call-in show.  Lying about the Kyle Allen meeting is not important as long as he put that fat aggy in his place. It's totally cool.  Oh and he beat Louisville. 

That's why Texas wanted Tom.

Edited by Shaggy3.0

1 hour ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

Bro, Herman's grill game is strong.  And he beat ousux with the underdog UH Cougars that one time.  Then he talked shit to the pizza face aggy reporter on a radio call-in show.  Lying about the Kyle Allen meeting is not important as long as he put that fat aggy in his place. It's totally cool.  Oh and he beat Louisville. 

That's why Texas wanted Tom.

That fact this was/is our standard is all that needs to be said.  Sad state of affairs.  

17 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Yea that’s what I’m thinking too. They need to win their side of the Big 10 and then get in the ‘ship with Ohio State and beat them solidly.

Fleck is who I want to replace Harbaugh at Michigan. I think it is a bit delusional to think that Minny would be able to beat one of the best O$U teams ever, let alone beat them solidly. Pretty high expectations to put on PJ there. 

I think he is a weirdo but what he does works. He was pulling solid classes back at western and would do great at a program with some cache. 

2 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Dan Mullen was available at the time 

So were a few others....   But Tom was the chosen one from get go going back to the kickoff of the first game of Charlie's last season.   

The "leadership" didn't want to be in the situation when Charlie was hired and trying to lure a Sabian, Myer, etc. and then end up with a Charlie.  We got Charlie 2.0.

But now it appears we should have just thrown whatever money we had to try to get one of the above instead of Tom because the money we will have to spend to buy him out and lure a proven product will now eclipse that amount.    

Just now, mdmost said:

But who do you want to replace Harbaugh at Michigan? 

Just now, mdmost said:

But who do you want to replace Harbaugh at Michigan? 

may as well go for the 5x streak....

Fleck is who I want to replace Harbaugh at Michigan. I think it is a bit delusional to think that Minny would be able to beat one of the best O$U teams ever, let alone beat them solidly. Pretty high expectations to put on PJ there. 

I think he is a weirdo but what he does works. He was pulling solid classes back at western and would do great at a program with some cache. 

wtf is going on with this. 

2 minutes ago, Juicy said:

Ok shall I just an upset or close moral victory  (loss) that none the less gets the Gopher into a  major bowl on New Years Day or whenever they will play them this season?

• Hook 'Em 1

Fleck would almost be guaranteed to have a floor of pre-VY Mack Brown. Win 9-11 games per year, be on the national scene, maybe not legit contenders, but in the conversation.

I'd certainly take that downside with potential upside of a lot more. Instead we've got our current autist who has built a team culture that blames all of their losses on the media and the fans.

But fuck all that anyway, it needs to be Urban.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

He'd be winning 10 games a season here at the very least....  

As often stated, I doubt he'd leave his fiefdom in Ft Worth to come to Austin and take the heat the jobs requires.  Expectations are just so much lower.  

Serious question here.

What is the possibility that Tom really gets the axe this season or is it wishful thinking on the behalf of us Surly no good for nothings?

Does  another 1997 John Mackovic have to occur even with  the limited schedule where we have another Rout 66 and then just crap the bed through the rest of league play?  Go back and look at that season and we started off that one almost in the same poll spot as this one.  The only thing is I can put down a team right now who could hold us to a low score while putting up their numbers at the same time.    

Or will Covid be the crutch CDC uses to keep him on another season?  

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

As often stated, I doubt he'd leave his fiefdom in Ft Worth to come to Austin and take the heat the jobs requires.  Expectations are just so much lower.  

I agree because he will likely retire there.  TCU is happy as long as they get a bowl game year in year out and mix it in with a 10 win season here and there and get chatted about being a contender for the playoffs.   He's kind of the Big 10 version of former Wisconsin Coach Barry Alvarez when they would make a good run and fall one or two games short and end up as the second or third place team going to the Alamo or Outback Bowls.  It kept the Wisconsin big boosters happy because they got an excuse to go south and get out of their frozen tundra for the week after Christmas.

1 minute ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I agree because he will likely retire there.  TCU is happy as long as they get a bowl game year in year out and mix it in with a 10 win season here and there and get chatted about being a contender for the playoffs.   He's kind of the Big 10 version of former Wisconsin Coach Barry Alvarez when they would make a good run and fall one or two games short and end up as the second or third place team going to the Alamo or Outback Bowls.  It kept the Wisconsin big boosters happy because they got an excuse to go south and get out of their frozen tundra for the week after Christmas.

All this, layered with the rumors he has heavily invested in the area with tons of ventures, RE deals, etc.  He really is the king of Ft Worth.  

8 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Serious question here.

What is the possibility that Tom really gets the axe this season or is it wishful thinking on the behalf of us Surly no good for nothings?

Does  another 1997 John Mackovic have to occur even with  the limited schedule where we have another Rout 66 and then just crap the bed through the rest of league play?  Go back and look at that season and we started off that one almost in the same poll spot as this one.  The only thing is I can put down a team right now who could hold us to a low score while putting up their numbers at the same time.    

Or will Covid be the crutch CDC uses to keep him on another season?  

If you're Tom, how do you pitch that there is still upside in your exit interview with CDC? This was your year with a very good NFL-bound senior QB and all kinds of raw talent. The entire team consists of your recruiting classes. There are no more external factors weighing on the team that Tom didn't create himself. This is his team. 

Fans usually get the pitchforks out when they can no longer rationalize that next year will be better. Barring us going 9-1 or 8-2 and winning a premier bowl game, I don't see how anyone at Belmont sells that to the fanbase. And this team is not going 9-1 or 8-2. 

I don't see any way the pitchforks aren't out. It doesn't necessarily mean that CDC will acquiesce, but if he doesn't, his seat is going to start getting uncomfortably warm as well. He has to know that. They can find the money.

siap

Texas football will payback coaches who took COVID-19 reductions

Spoiler

Amid a season of financial ruin across college football at every program due to significant COVID-19 revenue losses, the University of Texas is promising to make good on football coaches who took salary reductions to help offset budget issues. In a surprising report this week, USA Today discovered through athletic department documents that Texas is planning to reimburse coaches who are taking voluntary pay cuts during the 2020-21 fiscal year.

Texas coach Tom Herman will receive his $516,250 payback sometime before Dec. 31, 2023, according to the documents. That figure was taken out of his base pay only. Herman will receive another $2.5 million as part of this season's salary for making personal appearances and other media obligations, the report indicates.

“We had a one-year COVID problem,” Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte said in an interview Monday. “These coaches, we had a contractual obligation, and I asked them if I could reduce their salary for this amount of money. They said yes, because they knew I had to honor that because we had contract. “It’s a one-year problem, and we’ll make it work.”

Del Conte will not receive his $309,250 reduction, calling it a "personal" decision.

On Sept. 1, the university announced staff paycuts and layoffs in light of the pandemic as part of measures to save $54.3 million in anticipated revenue loss, per Del Conte.

Per Horns247, beginning October 16, 2020, through August 31, 2021, 273 staff members will receive temporary salary reductions, and 11 staff members will be temporarily furloughed with benefits. These actions amount to a $13.1 million savings for the department's 2020-21 budget, writes Horns247 analyst Chip Brown.

"Although this is an extremely difficult time for our department, we fully expect to bounce back from this experience stronger and positioned well to continue to provide the best student-athlete experience in the country and strive to compete for Big 12 and national championships in all of our 20 sports programs," Del Conte said in a university newsletter at the time.

50 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

So were a few others....   But Tom was the chosen one from get go going back to the kickoff of the first game of Charlie's last season.   

The "leadership" didn't want to be in the situation when Charlie was hired and trying to lure a Sabian, Myer, etc. and then end up with a Charlie.  We got Charlie 2.0.

But now it appears we should have just thrown whatever money we had to try to get one of the above instead of Tom because the money we will have to spend to buy him out and lure a proven product will now eclipse that amount.    

Herman has his issues, obviously, but calling him Charlie 2.0 is incorrect in every possible way. He is pretty significantly better across the board from in game coaching to the non football parts of the job to recruiting to media/fans. Only place he isn't as good is with connecting with players but if you are going to miss on one thing that is probably it.

Note that I didn't say he is great at all of those things, just that he is better than Charlie basically across the board.

1 minute ago, NoName said:

Herman has his issues, obviously, but calling him Charlie 2.0 is incorrect in every possible way. He is pretty significantly better across the board from in game coaching to the non football parts of the job to recruiting to media/fans. Only place he isn't as good is with connecting with players but if you are going to miss on one thing that is probably it.

Note that I didn't say he is great at all of those things, just that he is better than Charlie basically across the board.

Is he though? Both are dog shit and splitting hairs on dog shit is the issue 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

You know what separates the two? A last minute kick vs Kansas. 

Again, this is an idiotic way to try to boil things down. Herman is 27-16 at Texas, 18-11 in conference with a Sugar Bowl win. Strong was 16-21, 12-15 in conference and never finished above .500.

Herman is very clearly better than Strong even though he needs to go. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Again, this is an idiotic way to try to boil things down. Herman is 27-16 at Texas, 18-11 in conference with a Sugar Bowl win. Strong was 16-21, 12-15 in conference and never finished above .500.

Herman is very clearly better than Strong even though he needs to go. 

They’re both dog shit. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, NoName said:

Not sure about that.   Coaching a complete game is a rare occurrence under Tom and more so apparent in games we SHOULD win like the last one.    But connecting with the players is indeed a big one starting with him not at least attempting to go ape shit on the sidelines when the officials have an agenda like they did against TCU.  It's possible if Tom would have  gone off on those clowns early in that game, we'd be 3-0 right now and this discussion would be just quite noise if at all.  The players might have snapped out of their funk earlier and responded.  

The Charlie 2.0 is more along the lines of we got caught chasing the name of the coach the media and others said was THE next best coach to hire.  Charlie was very much that type although we did try at least informally to lure others before we opted for Charlie.    

2 hours ago, Asithappens said:

Gary Patterson is a much better coach than Herman.

That is really depressing. 

1 hour ago, Nueces River Rat said:

He'd be winning 10 games a season here at the very least....  

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Once again, Patterson walks on water at TCU and isn't going anywhere. He has practically reached Joe Pa status and can leave whenever he wants, but he won't leave TCU. 

Edited by Longboard Horn
Not enough towels for him

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas