Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

33 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

You’re going to watch it all and you know it

Of course, I'll watch it on TV.  But I ain't stroking the checks I used to write for this "above average" performance. 

Pay market prices, expect to win market prizes.  They know they can't keep charging this bullshit, especially after the newness of the SEZ wears off.  Herman is just part of a larger, systemic issue.  Our Athletic Department's deep pockets is going to reach a critical mass when we finish the SEZ, the Moody Arena, and upgrade the swim center, a couple of other upgrades, plus the debt service on some of this shit gets ballooned.  Money is gonna stop coming from Disney in a few years and Regents are putting the skids on a few other things.  If true apathy over mediocrity begins, we're screwed.  

Good news is we're gonna sell the Brackenridge Tract (or a huge chunk of it anyway), so we can continue our bender for a few more years.  

Edited by Lobo

Mack Brown's hiring was the last time we actually ran a decent process that involved former players and Royal.  Ever since then it's been Korn Ferry and flavors of the month club

This explains a lot. Korn Ferry is G5 compared to McKinsey. Why don’t we have McKinsey run the show? I have connections.

The BMD "insider" I talked to says they're obviously pissed, but he just shrugged his shoulders and basically said they made a huge push to get Herman and to build the new facilities/SEZ. Sounds like theres just no way to put together something new right now. And I totally believe someone reached out to Meyer. It means jack shit. Some of these guys just do that stuff to get their dick hard. I'm sure Meyer is interested, and I'm sure we are interested in theory. But the money just isnt gonna be there. I dont think we could get 1/4 of the way there right now. 

9 minutes ago, Caddox said:

The BMD "insider" I talked to says they're obviously pissed, but he just shrugged his shoulders and basically said they made a huge push to get Herman and to build the new facilities/SEZ. Sounds like theres just no way to put together something new right now. And I totally believe someone reached out to Meyer. It means jack shit. Some of these guys just do that stuff to get their dick hard. I'm sure Meyer is interested, and I'm sure we are interested in theory. But the money just isnt gonna be there. I dont think we could get 1/4 of the way there right now. 

I tend to believe this is true. All of it. That said if Herman goes on a losing streak and gets money motivated who knows. Urban doesn't require a buyout and will retain 4-5 coaches on the staff.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

He doesn’t need money, but I bet he really craves a MNC at a third program to solidify his legacy.

I keep hearing this. Where is this coming from? Has he given an interview that I’ve missed? I heard the same thing about Saban a few years back. 

40 minutes ago, Caddox said:

I’ll buy a few extra tee shirts if that puts us over the top. 

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

I keep hearing this. Where is this coming from? Has he given an interview that I’ve missed? I heard the same thing about Saban a few years back. 

He doesn’t need to say it, he wouldn’t have retired from fOSU if he wasn’t pushed and he had a punchers chance of catching saban with the way that machine is rolling. He had recruiting up at Bama level with no end in sight.  

and we are talking about huge egos, Urban is the best coach not named saban to have coached in the past 50 years, and there have been some pretty good ones.  So how does he escape sabana shadow? Go do what no one else has done, win MNCs at 3 different stops with an added outside shot at catching the goat. 

Only places remaining with the resources to make that happen and that might come available soon are USC and UT, OU if Riley leaves and maybe LSU if ogre pulls a Chiz. 

9 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

Saban went the other route and won a bunch of MNC’s at Bama. No need for the third stop. He’s solidified as the GOAT. 

Urbs’ rep is a bit tarnished. He can’t catch Saban’s number, but he can do something no one else has done. 

Guys with the kind of competitive drive and desire to win two separate MNC’s don’t have an off switch, and Texas presents the ideal situation that Meyer likes to step into. A largely rebuilt blueblood in need of elite leadership to take the final step. 

Will his family and health allow it?  Idk. I guarantee you it’s killing him to sit and watch Saban and Dabo make him look like an interesting footnote when opportunities abound for one last hurrah. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

The health thing is what makes me think no.  Apparently the flareups and headaches are much worse under stress and when Urban Meyer coaches it creates a ton of stress.  The man demands excellence from everyone around him.

The only thing about his time at Ohio State I would criticize is some of his assistant coaching hires.  He's loyal to a fault.  Example.  Zach Smith.  Also Alex Grinch who has proven to be a DC of dubious abilities.  Tim Beck as well and a couple others.

Meyer would take recruiting to a level never seen before at Texas.  He really knows how to sell a national brand.  He'd also be likely to dominate the series with your biggest rival.

Edited by VABuckeye

2 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

Herman and Mullen were hired at the same time and both came into similar circumstances. Fuck Tom Herman 

This is Mullens 3rd season at UF, he went 10-3, 11-2, and he’s 2-0 right now.   He’s a better coach than Mensa by a long shot, though that’s not saying much.

16 hours ago, Lobo said:

Texas is 5-5 against Baylor in the last ten seasons. 

Texas is 3-7 against Oklahoma State in the last ten seasons. 

Texas is 3-8 against Oklahoma in the last ten seasons.  

Texas is 2-7 against TCU in the last ten seasons. 

Texas is 4-4 against WVU in the last ten seasons. 

Texas is 4-6 against K-State in the last ten seasons.  

Two bad hires in a row will do that.

11 hours ago, maninblack said:

Urbs would probably relish destroying Herman's rep more with a Championship than it being his 3rd school

An all-too-often unprepared coach with a rep of undisciplined teams that aren't buttoned up but who does specialize in cute schtick and candy-ass gimmicks?

Meyer can relish all of that and more while continuing to get caked up with makeup and appearing on a studio pre-game show. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’ll take a 3-5 year “stop gap” that might win a title or two in that time and then leave a loaded roster for the next guy. 

Yah, not sure why this is so hard to get onboard with. Take it. Get the program not only on the right track, but to the damn station. 

10 minutes ago, Blotto said:

its OU week. I haven't thought much about the game....at all. Partly due to an exceptionally hectic work week, but mostly because I'm mentally checked out on Herman and his inability to turn shit around. Watching Texas football is not a particularly pleasant experience. We're on an 8 year roll of ill-prepared teams with no killer instinct, and the only consistent talent appears to be kicking ourselves in the nuts whenever possible. It just isn't fun watching this shit. I do it...every week, I just don't enjoy it. So yeah I'll watch on Saturday, and I expect us to lose in some fucktarded fashion like multiple 4th qtr roughing the kicker calls after miraculously forcing a 4th down. I'm dead inside. Hold me. 

This.  I'll watch but I'm not going to get excited like I did in the past.  Funny how 10 years ago, I expected to win every single game.  Maybe it's due to my age but I find myself caring less and less each season.  I guess I just hope for entertainment at this point.  I'm definitely not as excited for games as I was 10 years ago.  Thanks Herman.  I hope you get fired and we hire Urban just to spite you.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

You have to admit when you are wrong in life. I was wrong in wanting Mack gone. Mack had a massive amount of issues, but damn, at least the man could recruit well enough to fall ass-backwards into a title. And, at least for a while, he could get real men in the trenches. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’ll take a 3-5 year “stop gap” that might win a title or two in that time and then leave a loaded roster for the next guy. 

He could also leave behind a guy like Ryan Day to run the program.  Day has exceeded all expectations at Ohio State and recruiting hasn't missed a beat.

28 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

This.  I'll watch but I'm not going to get excited like I did in the past.  Funny how 10 years ago, I expected to win every single game.  Maybe it's due to my age but I find myself caring less and less each season.  I guess I just hope for entertainment at this point.  I'm definitely not as excited for games as I was 10 years ago.  Thanks Herman.  I hope you get fired and we hire Urban just to spite you.

Thats the difference. When Mack had it rolling, the expectation was 10 wins with OU and the occasional non-conf opponent like tOSU  being the only games that gave me pause. If we were to play Maryland next year, in Herman's 5th year, I'd put it at 50/50 that we end up 0-3 against them. And Maryland is dogshit in the scheme of things. We almost lost to f'n KU at home last year. Herman got his 4 years, he's not getting it done. Yet everytime you listen to that smug prick, you get the sense that he still believes he has Texas among the country's elite, and we're just catching bad breaks....after 4 years, thats a lot of bad breaks.  Fuck paying $7 million dollars a year for this shit sandwich. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Two bad hires in a row will do that.

3(keeping Mack after 2011 might as well have been a bad hire) but I have no doubt had we kept Mack we would not have had the Strong levels of suck.  would have been the Herman levels of suck.

• Hook 'Em 1

Bobby Burton...

FRIDAY 

I used the term "average" earlier this week to describe the Texas Longhorns' performance over much of the past three years. Some of you took mild offense to that, while some agreed and others had maybe better terms or explanations for it than I did.

Yesterday, I went back to look for empirical evidence of what I was trying to convey. So here are a few stats to consider:

- Tom Herman has coached 30 Big 12 games thus far in his Texas career. Texas is 18-12 in those games. So basically, Texas has won 3 games for every 2 it has lost in conference play.

- Of the 30 games in conference that Texas has played in his tenure, 18 of them have been decided by one score or less. Texas is 10-8 in those one-score games. That's the definition of average of to me.

- Herman is 8-4 in games decided by more than one score in conference.

- No other team in the conference in the last three years and into the first two games of 2020 have played as many one-score games as the Horns.

- What's more, scoring differential in conference seems to be trending the wrong way, even as Texas scores more points on offense. In 2017, Texas scored 47 more points than its conference foes; in 2018, Texas scored 41 more; in 2019, the Horns scored just 10 more.

While this season is far from complete, the first two conference games look similar to years past.

Both were one-score games where Texas had multiple chances to extend or protect a one-score lead late in the contest, only for the Horns' offense to sputter and even fail to pick up a single first down.

When a game comes down to one score, a single play or mistake can be amplified.

Against TCU, Texas fumbled the ball away. Against Oklahoma State three years ago, Sam Ehlinger threw an inexplicable interception on the goalline. Against Iowa State in Ames last year, Malcolm Roach jumped offsides.

The close calls split both ways. Texas' miracle come-from-behind win over Texas Tech is an example.

Perhaps it's a lack of a killer instinct or complacency. Whatever the cause, Texas consistently fails to create distance between itself and its opponents when opportunities arise. Perhaps it's the play-calling on offense or defense, or even the free substitutions Texas institutes early in games that don't keep the pedal on the metal.

I really I don't know what the answer is. But I'm not paid to figure out the solution. Tom Herman is. Yet we're not sure he knows how to fix the problem either. Otherwise, in year four with the same starting quarterback, you'd think we'd start to see something more.

If Texas can stop the OU run game, and not give the Sooners' free yards on the ground, I think Texas should win on Saturday.

I'm just not convinced they can. I'm concerned that TCU exposed a fundamental flaw in Chris Ash's four-man front.

Add that to Sam Ehlinger not taking care of the ball quite as well as we'd like and this game could turn on a turnover or yet another game-defining play - made by one team or another - late in the contest.

5 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I actually am pretty confident Ash will adjust to prevent the gashing Duggan did to us last week.  What I'm not confident is Tom getting the team to focus and prevent another sluggish start

We will get up by a TD and Tom will turtle and try and play ball control...again.  Without a doubt.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

My hope is that Meyer is “fixer”. I had the pleasure of working with a individual  at my company, he was a dude from the top of the food chain and his sole purpose with the company was to go around and shape up underperforming division and integrate new acquisitions in the large company. Dude lives for it. He would show and just completely reorganize a division, hire and fire, change around production, create and cancel contract until the division or department had achieved its potential and then he would tap his replacement and take off until another jobs was needed of him. I have a small amount of hope that Meyer is the same way and that he looks at  Texas as a 5-7 year turn around with the potential to cement his name in history by winning titles at 3 different schools hand it over to his successor and ride off into the sunset at the age of 60-62 with legacy carved in stone.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

I actually am pretty confident Ash will adjust to prevent the gashing Duggan did to us last week.  What I'm not confident is Tom getting the team to focus and prevent another sluggish start

I can agree with half of this statement. 

• Haha 1

I have zero confidence we can stop the OU offense. Zero. Point. Zero. Confidence.
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Leanderman said:

Any chance of digging up Woody Hayes  and getting him on our sidelines?

Fuck Woody Hayes and necromancy.

Look at the Real World: Earle Bruce's grandson is waiting for our call. He's rested and ready.

(Just needs a separate office for his Amazon deliveries)

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas