Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

1 minute ago, Ricky Butler said:

Well if he wanted to curry favor with alumni, he might have done the opposite and "defended" the Eyes.

Why? He doesn’t care about “favor” as much as he does about deflecting. That’s been his MO sense he arrived. Sucking up isn’t his way. It’s making sure everyone knows it isn’t his fault.

8 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Keep jerking off to that Saban bullshit. Tom Hicks has a stadium he'd like to sell you. 

We are such the destination that we get 2 group of 5 coaches from schools we'd never stoop to allow into the Big 12. We are a paycheck school. We gave 6 million to a guy who lost to Navy, SMU, UCONN, and Memphis. We are getting lapped by the SEC schools for Texas recruits. We have to hope the next guy gets here and can work magic in either year 1 or year 2. So again, like Tennessee, Michigan, Florida and other used to be elite schools, we have to hope we get it right the next time. 

Maybe we should actually run a real search process instead of choosing the 1st guy to take the job that seems like he may know how to coach. After hiring said guy, then maybe not allow him to hire his G5 coaching staff and expect things not to go sideways here. But I understand where you are coming from, there are legit BMD's issues with Texas. They value access over winning.

Shit look at Manny Diaz. He was an abject failure here, but now is building a nice program in Miami.

Edited by HtownHorn

Just now, C-Man said:

Strong was an unmitigated disaster. We didn’t get Saban — I’ll swear the deal was done until the day I die — and were forced to settle on Strong, our 4th or 5th choice. Herman isn’t the right guy either but it was definitely an improvement over Strong and seemed like the smart play at the time. And like I said, better than Chuck Strong.

Urban is out there. I can’t imagine he would like nothing more than to follow Herman and start whipping people’s asses with Herman’s players.

Yes, he's out. It will only cost the donors who are fine with parting with at least 20 million dollars and then another at least 10 a year to get him. Why would you even care to throw that money down a drain for this? 

And that's the really shitty part. Even if we won today, it would only be over a really mediocre OU team (even though they still found a way to beat our pathetic asses) and the meat of our schedule still remains. 

Hell, we would be 1-3 at this point if not for Tech’s epic meltdown.

5 minutes ago, The_Amazing_Mister_X said:

Fire this coach. Fire that coach. Is that the level of critical thinking that creates improvement? If so we should already have multiple national championships over the last decade.

Herman's teams are dumb and undisciplined and haven't improved in 4 years. 

One of the 2-3 best college coaches of the past 20 years is not old and is sitting there without a coaching gig. 

Let's not overthink this. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Maybe we should actually run a real search process instead of choosing the 1st guy to take the job that seems like he may know how to coach. After hiring said guy, then maybe not allow him to hire his G5 coaching staff and expect things not to go sideways here. But I understand where you are coming from, there are legit BMD's issues with Texas. They value access over winning.

Why would we allow Herman to follow Charlie's exact wrong approach to hiring a coaching staff, I'll never know. It was right there, plain as day. That decision was a 3 year decision. Now we're on year 4 with a brand new staff that didn't have the benefit of a true offseason to lock their schemes fully in place. That's not a full excuse because the scheme Yurcich is throwing out looks nothing like the oSu offense we previously saw. For the life of me, I don't get why we can't have something resembling what oSu had. Again, it's sad that I'm desirous for something resembling Oklahoma State. And why shouldn't I, they own us too since 2010. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Or hire a proven commodity in Urban. I'm ready to sell my soul.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Just now, Schulz2.0 said:

Or hire a proven commodity in Urban. I'm ready to sell my soul.

I almost think that's our only real option now. Go the aggy route. If "we're Texas" and we have all the money then just throw it at Urban and see if it works. Maybe he turns it around. Maybe the best we hope for is an upset of a higher ranked opponent and still not winning our conference. 

24 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Oh I know. That's why I said try to lure someone like PJ. We're going to have to hope for a guy who either: is not happy with his situation that we can money whip (a la Jimbo to aggy), try to lure a guy with just an obscene amount of money like Urban, or take a risk on another "hot name". Maybe we can try for an NFL guy. We're not as desirous a destination as we think ourselves to be. 

They way I see it... Texas football culture and brand are rotten. Mack let it rot. Charlie was in over his head. Herman is somehow both in over his head and also a giant egotistical asshole. The culture is completely shot. 

A normal coach isn't going to do it. That guy, no matter how good he is coaching, won't be able to lure the top talent from across the state much less the country to this program. Just won't happen. You have to have a coach who brings in his own brand for that to happen. 

There's 4 men that fit that bill in the world. Belichick is number 1 but he ain't going to college. Saban is 2 but Texas took their shot there and missed. Dabo is 3 but that ain't happening as he's got it too well at Clemson and can't be money whipped when he makes so much already.  The only one left is Urban. He's a giant piece of shit but he's got NC at 2 different blue blood programs and he has the brand with the big time talent to lure them in to play for him. I'm sure he'd also love the resources at Texas and the opportunity to make it NCs at 3 different schools. They need to make it happen ASAP. Cdc needs to be reaching out now to get things worked out. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

What is there to defend? At this point, it's not a question of if but when? When you can't go into the Cotton Bowl at 25% capacity where the crowd is of little difference and muster a win against a mistakes prone OU team with a freshman QB who gifted you 3 scoring opportunities, it's no longer on your players. It's on your coaching staff and schemes. Of all the years to get a gifted win, you had to battle back down 14 to a QB that got benched. 

Edited by mdmost

1 minute ago, Wanker Bob said:

They way I see it... Texas football culture and brand are rotten. Mack let it rot. Charlie was in over his head. Herman is somehow both in over his head and also a giant egotistical asshole. The culture is completely shot. 

A normal coach isn't going to do it. That guy, no matter how good he is coaching, won't be able to lure the top talent from across the state much less the country to this program. Just won't happen. You have to have a coach who brings in his own brand for that to happen. 

There's 4 men that fit that bill in the world. Belichick is number 1 but he ain't going to college. Saban is 2 but Texas took their shot there and missed. Dabo is 3 but that ain't happening as he's got it too well at Clemson and can't be money whipped when he makes so much already.  The only one left is Urban. He's a giant piece of shit but he's got NC at 2 different blue blood programs and he has the brand with the big time talent to lure them in to play for him. I'm sure he'd also love the resources at Texas and the opportunity to make it NCs at 3 different schools. They need to make it happen ASAP. Cdc needs to be reaching out now to get things worked out. 

All of this makes sense. Unfortunately. Sigh.

Fire this coach. Fire that coach. Is that the level of critical thinking that creates improvement? If so we should already have multiple national championships over the last decade.

Yah we gotta keep him. As his recruiting classes continue to get worse, he’ll have less talent and you never know, maybe that’s just what this guy needs to coach better!!!!!!!!
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Herman should have been fired last offseason. He's a joke.

Nah, we had to give Herman another season. Even though last season was an abortion, it would have been a bad look to fire a coach that was only one season away from a Sugar Bowl win and a top 10 finish. Wouldn't have helped lure top talent to be HC this year.

Just now, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Nah, we had to give Herman another season. Even though last season was an abortion, it would have been a bad look to fire a coach that was only one season away from a Sugar Bowl win and a top 10 finish. Wouldn't have helped lure top talent to be HC this year.

I think this is true; but I also think that we all knew exactly what Herman was by the end of last season, and there was little reason to believe that he was the answer. 

And now we have all the confirmation we should need. 

• Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas