Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

“We look great in practice!” is the narcissistic ego coming out.  Softer way to blame the players without them realizing it..

He’s got them worked into a Stockholm syndrome..... blaming themselves when things go sideways and they can’t recover or adjust (because they aren’t being coached how). 

What he’s really saying is that he fixes  all the problems each week and has the team ready but the players fuck up his coaching every Saturday.

Zero accountability! 

Edited by Reagan1k

26 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Why would we allow Herman to follow Charlie's exact wrong approach to hiring a coaching staff, I'll never know. It was right there, plain as day. That decision was a 3 year decision. Now we're on year 4 with a brand new staff that didn't have the benefit of a true offseason to lock their schemes fully in place. That's not a full excuse because the scheme Yurcich is throwing out looks nothing like the oSu offense we previously saw. For the life of me, I don't get why we can't have something resembling what oSu had. Again, it's sad that I'm desirous for something resembling Oklahoma State. And why shouldn't I, they own us too since 2010. 

I'm guessing that Yurcich is calling plays that the offense has repped a shit ton due to lack of practice time, and those aren't his plays.

23 minutes ago, mdmost said:

What is there to defend? At this point, it's not a question of if but when? When you can't go into the Cotton Bowl at 25% capacity where the crowd is of little difference and can't muster a win against a mistakes prone OU team with a freshman QB who gifted you 3 scoring opportunities, it's no longer on your players. It's on your coaching staff and schemes. Of all the years to get a gifted win, you had to battle back down 14 to a QB that got benched. 

Right? It’s not like we got whipped by a top 5 or 10 OU team. We came out flat, again. Special teams nightmare, again - blocked punt and blocked FG. We committed stupid penalties, again. We made few adjustments, again. 

I keep saying again but WE DO THIS TOO OFTEN TO BE A ONE OFF THING. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Texas Flood said:

I can see Urban keeping Yurcich

Urban would likely keep the majority of this staff. That's what would be even more hilarious. Urban winning with this staff and players. Meaning it completely was Herman that wasn't up to snuff. Really the only coach that deserves to be fired is Hand. His unit has had it's ass whipped 3 straight weeks, and not one single player has been replaced.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It will be about the same at the end of this season, because we let him overpay for 7 new assistant coaches and guaranteed all of them for 2 years. 

I know this is a low probability scenario, but both of these guys coached under Meyer, no? Is it possible that one or both of them could be retrained if Meyer were the coach? 

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Briles coaches circles around Tom and he would have made him his bitch like he did us. But yeah, fuck Briles. Can't go near him.

We have to go after someone established. Enough of this Charlie Strong and Tom Herman bullshit. 

Can't be said enough. He still hasn't learned and already has some shady shit going on in Mt. Vernon. 

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Urban would likely keep the majority of this staff. That's what would be even more hilarious. Urban winning with this staff and players. Meaning it completely was Herman that wasn't up to snuff. Really the only coach that deserves to be fired is Hand. His unit has had it's ass whipped 3 straight weeks, and not one single player has been replaced.

Hand sucks ass. His unit doesn’t get better and they consistently get penalties 

This team has lost faith in Tom Herman. It is unimaginable that he turns this around. One of the coordinators needs to be used as interim until the end of the season. Mike Stoops was fired mid-season with no real plan in place. They just made do with who they had. I respected the hell out of that. But then, we don't have the balls or aversion to humiliation that the Sooners do. You get what you tolerate. 

Edited by Loather
  • Fuck You 1

14 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

No. He said Chris Ash was the best hire of the offseason. I don't trust his recommendation when it comes to other coaches

Ash hasn't been a disaster considering the abomination that is the offense and STs. The only reason this game wasn't a complete blowout was the defense getting 3 TO's, and even then the offense couldn't do shit. Heck even Jamison set up the offense with a great punt return before half and still the offense just shit the bed. PR and KR are the only STs units that are actually good. 31 points against OU is plenty good enough to win considering the shit field position they had to defend for most of the game.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, The_Amazing_Mister_X said:

Herman isn't the problem. He is more or less stuck with Ehlinger who is limited as a QB. When he gets his guy in there there will be improvement. Book it.

Yeah a guy averaging 5 TDs a game is the problem. Lol God damn. He's the only reason these games have been close. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

We’d also be 3-1 if not for Ingram putting the ball on the ground. Add in a fucking clue, and we could be 4-0. Tricky shit this stuff is.

Except when you’re a poorly-coached team with bad mechanics the mistakes are more likely to occur. This team is a hell of a lot closer to 1-3 than we are to 3-1 or 4-0 IMO.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

I defended Herman a lot before today's game but not anymore. It's clear as day that he's lost this team. How the fuck do you let Sam sing The Eyes all alone like that after a game where he balled out to make plays and score points? What in the fuck is distracting this team?

Thank you for finally seeing the light 

I was originally on the train that Herman would get a mulligan year due to Covid regardless of his W/L. It's pretty evident that he has no clue how to have a winning program here and entertaining another year is just a recipe for wasting even more time and resources. Again, all depends on donors being fine with parting with a massive amount of money to get rid of him. There is no more upside to Herman. He's losing recruits. He's not developing players. He's not winning incredibly winnable games. The downside of a bye is we have 2 weeks to stew on this loss. I'd much prefer another game next weekend, just to have something else to focus on. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

What went on with him? I don't follow high school football that closely. 

Played a player that was ruled ineligible, not rapegate or the steroid scandal he had at Stephenville. A guy with a tarnished rep as it is you'd think he'd try to clean it up and look more respectable. 

Edited by Happy Gilmore
I can't type... But still not as retarded as Herman

I just don’t see it happening. I think this would have been a make or break year but then covid and everything happened and it’s been a super weird season all over the place. It feels like an exhibition season.

I think we’ll continue to win and lose one-score games regardless of how good or bad the opponent is because that’s what this team does.

4 minutes ago, Xian said:

It’s going to be awkward around here if we hire urban and he keeps the oc and dc as some of y’all are suggesting 

Tom knows he is on the hot seat.  He is not gonna let the OC dictate that.  He's been calling plays and it shows.  Yurcich is a puppet.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xian said:

You don’t see an issue with a new hire keeping both the top lieutenants of the old, failed regime? 

Why would I? Urban isnt coming in to do things like the past. And those guys are gonna bow to the alpha that is urban and do things how he wants. 

7 minutes ago, Xian said:

It’s going to be awkward around here if we hire urban and he keeps the oc and dc as some of y’all are suggesting 

3 minutes ago, Xian said:

You don’t see an issue with a new hire keeping both the top lieutenants of the old, failed regime? 

yurcich and ash are good coordinators.  they’ve proven it in the past.  this is a herman problem.  I wouldn’t be surprised if both of them were in the running for the broyles award under urban. 

3 minutes ago, Bigbend1812 said:

They work fine when you have an Alpha kicking their ass and not having a giant pussy as a boss. 

exactly. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas