Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

20 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

What’s brutal is all this Urban Meyer smoke/hope/wishcasting will be absolutely crushing when we swing and miss or even worse...don’t swing

It will have been worth it to feel something other than misery and despair, even if just for a short while. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, jinx said:

Harsin has a decent record at Boise, but it isn’t as good as Peterson’s, and Peterson was just ok at Washington.  So I have my doubts he would be a significant upgrade.  

But I’m so pessimistic right now that I figure Urban will have a heart attack and die on the field his first year if he coaches here.  

Harsin’s record is pretty much identical to Peterson’s last few years in Boise. Basically, Peterson wasn’t matching Peterson’s magical few years by the time he headed to Seattle. 

Harsin has won 64 games in 6 years including 3 conference championships while playing in two others and one Fiesta Bowl. 

We could do worse, but shit is seriously pear shaped in our coaching search if we get to him on the Rolodex. 

9 hours ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Every time the current coach sucks, some people like to bring up the previous coach and make excuses for why we shouldn't have fired them. Texas is not one of those schools that's quick to pull the trigger. We usually like to drag it on until it becomes a cesspool and the new coach has to work extra hard to change the culture. We should have fired Mack Brown, Charlie Strong, and Rick Barnes at least 2-3 years before they actually were. Not firing them in a timely fashion set our two major revenue sports back by years, if not decades.

Yep, and it goes back further.  Akers completely lost the team and was dead man walking after the freedom bowl massacre in 84, but wasn’t let go until two years later.  I was at Fred’s last game and there were many aggy cars with “keep Fred” shoe polished on them.   It was way, way, overdue.  So, is this 85 or 86? Best talent in conference, senior qb and a 5 and 5 record make me think this is the end of the road. But if Tom wins a bowl game....ouch..we might have him another year...seriously.  

4 hours ago, dcar00 said:

I agree.  He has one of the things l like.  built success at 2 P5 programs.  It wasn't a flash in the pan at one school, it wasn't just one player.  he did it twice in P5 conference playing big boys.   

Its too bad we took Charlie because I think he was on the list when we did.

I know there was an issue at vandy but IMO if we can't get Meyer he's probably my second call.  Harsin might be 3rd but he's a much bigger question mark due to competition.

I was universally mocked on the old site for saying we should hie Franklin when we picked Strong.

you people are morans.

It frightens me how much I don’t care about this. I’m here. I know I’m supposed to care. This is that thing. That first mover within me, foundational to all other movement and direction in my life for so long.

That’s how I know it’s gone. It’s so organically easy to just not give a shit.

Along with all of the other shit 2020 has taken from me, this may be this largest piece. Yet, oddly the easiest.

I’ll give Tom and the crew a little credit. I cared less that the Lakers won anything. So “I could’ve cared less”. But still don’t care.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

I guarantee the first wife stopped fucking or was using her pussy as a weapon. Doesn't matter how hot she is once that starts happening. Second wife gives me Martha from Homeland vibes. Which are vibes I like

Or...the amount of cray she possessed was enough to jump ship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PilotsError said:

I guarantee the first wife stopped fucking or was using her pussy as a weapon. Doesn't matter how hot she is once that starts happening. Second wife gives me Martha from Homeland vibes. Which are vibes I like

Another poster posted that the marriage fell apart after the death of a newborn child from a heart condition. 

6 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

Yep, and it goes back further.  Akers completely lost the team and was dead man walking after the freedom bowl massacre in 84, but wasn’t let go until two years later.  I was at Fred’s last game and there were many aggy cars with “keep Fred” shoe polished on them.   It was way, way, overdue.  So, is this 85 or 86? Best talent in conference, senior qb and a 5 and 5 record make me think this is the end of the road. But if Tom wins a bowl game....ouch..we might have him another year...seriously.  

If Herman goes 5-5 this year, there’s no chance he’s around for the bowl game. 

8 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Matt Campbell is probably the second most likely guy to get hired after Urban and he’s not on either of your lists.

Also, everything after Urban is thoroughly depressing. Either guys with known issues or total question marks. And Shaw should be in tier 50. 

Thats fucking depressing.  I'd rather hire Billy Napier.

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

When will we know if Meyer has interest or not? When Herman loses more games?

I'm more than a little concerned that Urban will run for the hills when he takes a deep dive on the program and the athletic department.  His wife is also going to be vehemently opposed to him taking the Texas job.   

12 minutes ago, alincoln said:

I'm more than a little concerned that Urban will run for the hills when he takes a deep dive on the program and the athletic department.  His wife is also going to be vehemently opposed to him taking the Texas job.   

man, his wife is a total Karen, he's probably going stir crazy being around her this much

"Is that pesto? Is that pesto? Oh! Oh, it's asparagus! I thought it was pesto!"

16 hours ago, nineliveslost said:

It aint going to happen BUT if he wins a national championship at North Carolina I can guarantee you that he wont give 2 flying fucks about Texas. 

He has moved on and IF he wins the ACC somehow or goes to the playoff, oh man, thats just confirmation to him that he can coach and he can win. 

Texas needs to find the next guy , just like Mack found the next team. Move on from him , its past time 

THIS! Mack is long gone and he's never coming back. 

I listen to Herman's presser last night.   I first poured a (very) strong bourbon in anticipation of its necessity.   It was necessary.

What a clusterfuck. Herman is so lost. So clueless. So over his head. You would have thought he just inherited a program 2-1/2 weeks ago that was lacking discipline, organization, culture and any direction.   Well, it is lacking discipline, organization, culture and any direction.   But he has been the coach at Texas for 47 months and the clown is still trying to determine, for god's sake, how to discipline and / or punish his players for the same idiotic penalties and mistakes.  That was beyond laughable, as was the rest of his presser - full of double talk, excuses, foolishness and unbridled non-sense.   Are the fucking players now running the team?   Someone is.    The coach sure isn't. 

I chuckled this weekend when people were talking about Herman not seeing a '21 season, just given the environment and landscape we're in.   I'm not chuckling anymore as it may be absolutely necessary to get this clown out, real soon. 

Edited by Wally Pryor
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, TexMexBuddha said:

One of many data points we've already collected about Hermensa.

He MIGHT be a brilliant nerd, but he's stuck in turn-based gaming while everything else is RTS.

RTS Herman goes for the win when OU sux D is gassed. Turn-based Herman gets us Turtle Tom and the 3rd Quarter.

I legit can't believe he didn't go for 2 either at the end of the game or in the first OT

there is basically no data that points to the team improving even 4 years in, they are on an upward trend.

11 hours ago, Mikey4 said:

If Urban doesn't work out, I would be open to Patterson because he knows the conference, knows Texas, and is a very good coach, especially where we have struggled (fundamentals).

But if both Urban and Gary Patterson are out, at some point I'd rather keep Herman in place until we find the right person than take a risk and end up with another Charlie Strong (or worse) for several years.

FOR.THE.FINAL.FUCKING.TIME: PATTERSON IS NOT COMING TO TEXAS, PERIOD! HE WALKS ON WATER AT TCU AND WILL NEVER LEAVE. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, NoName said:

I legit can't believe he didn't go for 2 either at the end of the game or in the first OT

put yourself in Herman's shoes at those moments and ask yourself, "in what way is our chance of winning preserved by prolonging the game?".

it becomes even more inexplicable. he thought, at some level, for some reason, we would be MORE likely to beat Oklahoma by keeping the game going instead of converting one two-point conversion

I don't give a flying fuck what anyone's carefully curated chart says about anything, the moment to win that game was at the end of regulation-- or, as soon as OU showed it could start scoring on the defense again, at the bottom of the 2nd overtime

BOBBY BURTON  (Horns247)

TUESDAY

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Sam Ehlinger standing alone among a smattering of coaches and support personnel while the school’s Alma Mater is played at the Cotton Bowl was the final straw.

In my correspondence with sources from within the Board of Regents all the way to megadonors who write large checks to complete capital projects currently underway, it is the appearance of sheer dysfunction and disrespect as much as it is the poor play on the field that could very well cost Tom Herman his job.

Those in power do not expect players to sing the song, or even raise the Hook’em sign to it. Perhaps teammates could link arms while it plays.

But a modicum of respect, like staying on the field after the game to respect the student body who just cheered for them, is expected. Perhaps the entire student body could link arms.

The University has not only acquiesced to several more-than-fair requests from its student-athletes, but President Jay Hartzell has gone further still by creating a larger commitment to full-hearted efforts to address social inequities that go well beyond any previous requests.

While some have erroneously tried to lay the blame at the feet of the athletic director for the football team’s lack of respect to the Alma Mater and its fans, any such idea is beyond the pale. Other sports, like volleyball, have found a way to treat the Alma Mater and the fans with respect. So this is not about the AD, it’s about the football team and the football coach who, I think, has overplayed his hand yet again.

I believe Tom Herman felt like winning would cure all ills. And he had a fourth-year starter at QB and his most talented team yet in Austin.

So he minimized the requests by his superiors to create some sort of team unity around the Alma Mater. Instead, he tried to play both sides. It’s not working out for him.

Herman has overplayed his hand so many times at Texas that it should come as no surprise to anyone. Mensa thought he had a great offensive line heading into his first year at Texas, telling boosters privately he thought the Horns could win the conference. Boy, did he misread that, going 6-6 in the regular season.

The following year, he felt the team was ready to turn the corner. But they summarily got sent back from our nation’s capital with a big fat L in a season opener he didn’t have his team prepared for.

Then there is the idea that Herman just doesn’t get it. He routinely overestimates the strengths of his own team while simultaneously underestimating those of his opponents. Well-coached teams win more close games than they lose. Well-coaches teams play with a sense of urgency all game long. Not Herman’s.

His hubris also often makes him misread key recruiting situations, like that of the Brockermeyers this campaign. The minute Herman sent James Brockermeyer home with the talk of just a walk-on offer while Iowa called him with a scholarship for he and his brother on the very same day, their recruitment took a turn from which Texas never recovered.

Coaches are well-known for their egos. Perhaps it is well deserved in some ways. After all, they are the ones making seven millions dollars a year.

But the best coaches, the championship coaches, live and operate in reality. They execute to their own strengths and dissect and attack their opponents weaknesses. They don’t actually genuflect and buy into their own BS.

Outside of the OU regular season game in 2018, can you recall Texas going after another team’s weakness with any precision?

Maybe you can, and maybe he has.

But the larger point remains valid nonetheless.

Tom Herman’s job security is tenuous at best. And it’s because of his own actions (or inaction) and shortcomings. Attempts to pass the buck won’t work, not with the Board of Regents, the UT administration, and not with the Texas fan base either.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

I'll preface this by saying I have no idea I have no idea who the guy is, but Texas needs to find the next Dabo Swinney or, gulp, next Mack Brown.

Obviously on the surface "hire the next Dabo Swinney" is a no shit statement, but my point is this: they need to find someone who is the polar opposite of Tom Herman. The genius of Dabo Swinney is that without ever admitting it he knows he's not some X's and O's savant. He's college football's megachurch pastor. He can sell the hell out of himself and his program but he also went out and hired the best staff he could and makes sure Clemson pays them a shit ton of money to stick around so they can lay the foundation and implement it on the field while he does all the other shit that matters off it.

The next coach at Texas matters obviously, but it only matters as much as the staff as he surrounds himself with. The salary of the coach doesn't really matter. If CDC has any brains (which is debatable at this point) he's going to give the next coach a blank check to hire the best staff he can.

Not saying I want PJ Fleck, but I think a guy with that kind of charisma with a great staff would be way better than having an arrogant dickhead who isn't as smart as he thinks and has no clue how to build a program like the current guy we have.

4 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Not saying I want PJ Fleck, but I think a guy with that kind of charisma with a great staff would be way better than having an arrogant dickhead who isn't as smart as he thinks and has no clue how to build a program like the current guy we have.

PJ Fleck is Herman 2.0

-74c7832285de0cce.JPG

-1bc2b6e1fa040bef.JPG

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

BOBBY BURTON  (Horns247)

TUESDAY

Articles like this don't get written unless the coach is a dead man walking. For Burton to write that piece, Tom is gone. Burton doesn't have to worry about burning any bridges because the bridge will not be there in the future. Why it's taking so long for the announcement is bewildering. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, NoName said:

This is what pisses me off the most:

No, motherfucker, this isn't about you as a family. This is about you, Tom Herman, being too much of a chicken shit to let your best player go out and get two fucking yards to win a game when you had TWO opportunities to do it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas