Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

December 1st is a cute date to save some money on the buyout but I don't think Tom is making it to December. It's like some of you aren't accounting for the fact that we have 5 games between now and then for Tom to dump more tires and gasoline on the dumpster fire. Three losses before Dec 1st and he's fucking gone. Unless CDC and our BMDs are complete pussies - and based on what's starting to leak out I don't think that's true. 

50 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Hire Urban, give Herman a red slingline and a can of bug spray and move his ass to the basement. Once Dec 1st comes fire his ass. Maybe make him UT's liaison to Uzbekistan if basement seems too cushy.

Make him Chris Plonsky's personal assistant until December 1st. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Damn Bucky just went in on Herman. 

he said it’s essentially pathetic that Herman’s bosses are having to tell him how to act and carry himself when Herman is paid 6 million dollars. 

FIRE THIS MOTHER FUCKER!

Is that 2 or 3 times for Bucky this week?

For a grown man, Herman sure acts like a kid, this was pretty much the topic of the Star Telegram piece last year

https://www.star-telegram.com/article238498543.html

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

December 1st is a cute date to save some money on the buyout but I don't think Tom is making it to December. It's like some of you aren't accounting for the fact that we have 5 games between now and then for Tom to dump more tires and gasoline on the dumpster fire. Three losses before Dec 1st and he's fucking gone. Unless CDC and our BMDs are complete pussies - and based on what's starting to leak out I don't think that's true. 

Yeah I think with another bad performance/loss they pull the trigger and fire him, place either Yurcich or Ash as the interim HC.  Word starts to leak that they got their coach and he's announced a couple weeks later.  Think Meyer stays on Fox for the remainder of the regular season, but will be putting his staff in place and hopefully identifying a few prospects that are needed along the OL and WR room. 

how high is he riding off that FL win?  One of the two dipshit aggy people I know is sky high on this team and this season.. he actually thinks the Bama loss was a fluke, they would win for certain if they ever rematched..smh.. I don't say shit anymore, Fuck you Tom
*The other really isn't a dipshit*
Yeah, that's it, Florida wasn't overrated, aggy was UNDERrated after a complete fluke blowout by Bama. If they played again 10 times, aggy probably wins all 10 rematches.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Bluemoon3287 said:

There’s a man who has his facts straight and provides details.  I like it ! How about Treefidy for coitch if we can’t get the Urbs?

I’ll take the job for free and use all the extra $$ to money whip a staff together.

I’ll raid Bama for OC, DBs, & LBs coaches,  UGAs DC & RBs, Clemsons S&C and DL , fOSU WR coach, OUs OL coach.   Open to suggestions for filling out the remaining spots.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m not sure I would have ever graduated from the University of Texas if it wasn’t for the Eyes of Texas. I moved to Texas in 1990 when I was 12 years old. We were major sports fans, and my dads one indulgence when I was young and we were poor was his SF 49ers season tickets- he has 2 tickets, $25.00 per seat, times 10 home games (with preseason) for a smooth $500.00 a year (or roughly 2% of his yearly income as a bread truck driver). He’d sell the playoff tickets to try to recoup as much of his season ticket bill as possible. But sports were what we did for entertainment- and it was all pretty much professional leagues. 
When we moved to Texas it was explained to us that college sports was a big ducking deal and you had to choose between Texas or Texas A and M. Dad had a friend who had a son who went to UT at the time, and is a prolific poster on this site though I don’t know him particularly well personally. His friend took us over to a UT game in 1990 at night against Colorado. The game was thrilling as I remember it (like 28-27 loss or something like that) but it was a night game, it was loud, and everyone stayed to the end. The stadium was packed and I remember thinking that watching 80,000 people singing together, and the horns coming at you from the other side of the stadium at the end of the song, was one of the coolest things ever. 
It made me decide that if I was going to school in this state it was going to be at UT. UT was the only state school I applied to, and when I got a full ride for tuition, fees, books, housing etc that was the school I decided to attend. 
Would I have made that same decision without the eyes and having that marked as such a special occasion for 12 year old me that UT was the school I was going to root for?  I don’t know- but it sure stuck with me and caused me to find out what a great place the University was/is. 
I feel not mad, but sad, that this first bond I formed with the school I loved and shaped so much of my life isn’t shared by everyone right now. Prior to this year I would have thought that bond was almost universal. Now that spirit of unity has been destroyed and there is absolutely nothing that could be cooked up to replace it.

I feel sad everyone doesn’t feel like me. Not mad. Not their fault- not blaming- but definitely sad. 2020 has sucked in so many ways. There’s a lot of shit in our past that we need to understand and deal with, together, but I don’t see how losing points of commonality will make us a better community. This whole thing sucks. 

Great game, I went to that one too. The Colorado team was legit, ended up winning a share of the NC that year. Eric Bienemy at tailback with those two monster edge rushers Kanavis McGee and Alfred Williams. We lost 22-29, they snuffed out a potential game tying drive with a strip sack on Peter Gardere. 

Morning Brew: Time running out for Tom Herman

VIP ByCHIP BROWN 88 minutes ago
  •  
  •  
  •  

Truly elite coaches tend to reveal themselves in the first three years on a job. (Nick Saban at Alabama, Urban Meyer at every stop, Bob Stoops at OU, Brian Kelly at ND, etc.).

Sometimes, it takes longer. Texas' Mack Bown and Clemson's Dabo Swinney each took seven years to build a dominant program. (But even Mack was favored to win the 2001 Big 12 title game against Colorado and would've wound up in the national title game with a win after arriving in 1998. That was Year 4 for Mack at Texas).

This is Year 4 for Herman at Texas. So this is the year I expected Tom Herman to show if he's capable of being a top-end coach.

In my mind, this was the season Herman needed to show he could move the Longhorns into the double-digit win neighborhood and keep it there. This is the season Herman needed to show he could get Texas on the same track Mack was on in four years at Texas.

I figured having a veteran team in a pandemic-shortened offseason, including a four-year starter at QB, would give Texas an edge over other teams. I figured having experienced players would outweigh bringing in seven new assistant coaches, including two new coordinators, because rock star assistant coaches can identify what their talent will do best, specialize on that, teach/install it, and then simplify/expand as you go.

Heck, Joe Brady helped take LSU's offense and quarterback Joe Burrow to one of the greatest offensive seasons in college football history - in Year 1.

But whether you look at Texas as being a couple plays away from being 4-0 or a couple plays away from being 1-3, the play on the field has been a wild disappointment - especially on defense. That side of the ball basically collapsed at Tech and gave up 11 explosive plays in back-to-back games (Tech and TCU).

Losing habits (penalties included) started becoming the norm in those two games instead of winning habits. And, somewhat surprisingly, this team, with all its veterans, hasn't had the locker room swag to stop making unforced errors that are costing the Longhorns' victories and could end up costing Herman his job.

Former Texas All-American offensive lineman Dan Neil told me, "You need those three or four guys on your team everyone is afraid of if you make a mistake. Those are the guys who keep you from committing the stupid penalty or using lazy technique."

I thought this was a team that would sense the opportunity. I thought this was a group of players who would demand more from each other and let nothing get in the way of winning. Instead, this is a team that seems to look around for someone else to make a play instead of making the play themselves.

Sam Ehlinger last week challenged his teammates to play with more discipline and attention to detail. Texas responded by turning the ball over on its first drive and committing 11 penalties for 101 yards.The first 55 minutes of the OU game was almost unwatchable football. And this is a team that is unified, according to sources.

Texas' practices this week will probably determine if this year's Longhorns are going to come anywhere close to playing to their potential or putting together a complete game.

15COMMENTS

It's Baylor on Oct. 24. Then, it's undefeated Oklahoma State in Stillwater for Halloween.

Time is running out.

Fuck Chip Brown and the brockermeyers 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, TrashMaster G said:

That much I knew.  I was just wondering if there was more to it because there seems to be a lot of vitriol towards them. 

Apparently their dad didn't help us out any in steering them toward Texas, at least toward the end..... but kids are gunna be kids, and they're choosing to go to Bama....

... so as irrational fans tend to do, "Fuck them." But honestly, our HC being who he is, deep down who could blame them?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Yeah I think with another bad performance/loss they pull the trigger and fire him, place either Yurcich or Ash as the interim HC.  Word starts to leak that they got their coach and he's announced a couple weeks later.  Think Meyer stays on Fox for the remainder of the regular season, but will be putting his staff in place and hopefully identifying a few prospects that are needed along the OL and WR room. 

Probably should root for Dome and USC to have really good seasons and that Riley doesn’t bolt for NFL.  Don’t really see dome losing many other than clemson, and Riley’s buyout is like 31M so even if they lose out he probably doesn’t get fired.  USC is a wild card.

if you were Urban and the choices were USC, UT or OU which do you choose?  Key is keeping your win% inside the top 3 and winning another MNC. USCs recruiting the last 2 years look like transition classes, 2017 and 2021 pretty damn good.  Meanwhile we have transition classes in 2017 and 2021.   OU basically has top 10 classes 2017 to current.

Taking off the burnt orange glasses and I would say OU, USC, UT in that order to achieve stated goals.  Possibility of job opening UT, USC, OU.  It’s going to take a few years just to fix our OL problems.  

Chip Brown: Texas' practices this week will probably determine if this year's Longhorns are going to come anywhere close to playing to their potential or putting together a complete game.

What the hell?   Per our coach, we've had the "best Sunday practices in the history of the school" two weeks in a row but the product on the field ends up the same:  an unbuttoned mess, with no identity, no discipline, no accountability.  But full of idiocy, penalties and bad play.   A few "good" practices aren't going to magically take care of 4 years of systemic issues, a lack of accountability and a cupboard full of entitlement.  

2020 was supposed to be it.   16 starters returning.  A veteran QB.  3 elite recruiting classes.  It's been "it" alright.  Another ridiculous and underwhelming performance by Texas football.  Punctuated by a massive clusterfuck off the field. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

how high is he riding off that FL win?  One of the two dipshit aggy people I know is sky high on this team and this season.. he actually thinks the Bama loss was a fluke, they would win for certain if they ever rematched..smh.. I don't say shit anymore, Fuck you Tom

*The other really isn't a dipshit*

Said “this has a chance to be our year again after we got screwed on the schedule. I think we win out”

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

Taking off the burnt orange glasses and I would say OU, USC, UT in that order to achieve stated goals.  Possibility of job opening UT, USC, OU.  It’s going to take a few years just to fix our OL problems.  

Yes we have OL issues but they were ranked pretty decent, I want to believe that Urban can actually choose a proven OL coach that can you know..coach and develop these players.  I know we made them look good for stretches of the game last week, but ou defense still has a lot of issues.  Urban would likely take Ewers>Rattler/Caleb

5 hours ago, drifter379 said:

I think it’s a given that we would win with Meyer. But is it worth selling our souls.
When he decides to quit or gets fired over sanctions in 3-4 years will we be in any better position than we are right now?

I don’t know who the right guy is for this program but I throw up in my mouth a little bit thinking about seeing Urban Meyer in burnt orange on the sidelines.

You should have thrown in a Briles comparison to make this bleed complete.

4 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

bUrT MaCk aNd DaBos tOoK lOnGeR

I know you're mocking the waterheads, but for their edification:

Dabo won the ACC in Year 3.   Mack was a win away from playing for the BCS title in Year 4.  Both spent the next few years on the cusp before finally winning it all in Year 8.  FTH peaked in Year 2 when he backdoored into a NY6 game due to OU making the playoffs.  The program has done nothing but regress since then.  I've said it before, CDC cements his legacy with the faithful by the end of this year.  Is he a Championship level AD or a carnival barker who made some decent hires in tier 2 sports?

• Hook 'Em 2

That Humidor report about the players actually being unified and Sam being out there by himself due to a miscommunication is very encouraging, and could hopefully take the temperature down in the simmering conflict that has developed between the players and our fan base. 

It is also absolute PR malpractice for the program to not have gotten it out there to every Austin news outlet by Saturday night, rather than letting it fester all week and ending up buried in a pay site’s reporting. That alone shows Herman’s unfitness for the job. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

That Humidor report about the players actually being unified and Sam being out there by himself due to a miscommunication is very encouraging, and could hopefully take the temperature down in the simmering conflict that has developed between the players and our fan base. 

It is also absolute PR malpractice for the program to not have gotten it out there to every Austin news outlet by Saturday night, rather than letting it fester all week and ending up buried in a pay site’s reporting. That alone shows Herman’s unfitness for the job. 

Hey, fat ketch reported it....................it was all wrong but he reported it.

32 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

Probably should root for Dome and USC to have really good seasons and that Riley doesn’t bolt for NFL.  Don’t really see dome losing many other than clemson, and Riley’s buyout is like 31M so even if they lose out he probably doesn’t get fired.  USC is a wild card.

if you were Urban and the choices were USC, UT or OU which do you choose?  Key is keeping your win% inside the top 3 and winning another MNC. USCs recruiting the last 2 years look like transition classes, 2017 and 2021 pretty damn good.  Meanwhile we have transition classes in 2017 and 2021.   OU basically has top 10 classes 2017 to current.

Portal could take care of a lot of problems.

Supposedly Blake didn't like Herman and Hand's evaluation of whichever Brockermeyer plays center.  So they continued to string Texas along as Blake made the recruiting process about himself and what he could get out of it even though he had told people in private neither of the boys would play for Tom Herman.  Once Clemson also backed off being interested in recruiting both of them it was a foregone conclusion they were going Bama but they kept stringing Texas along and cost them an opportunity to recruit backup options.

In addition it has been rumored that they have actively recruited against Texas and in certain circles Blake and Mrs. Brockermeyer made asses of themselves about Texas in general. 

That is the 3rd hand gossip I put together from this site anyway.  Do with it what you will.

44 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

I don't buy the player excuses.  How do you not know your QB is out on the field by himself after he basically willed you back from being down 35 to 17 to overtime.  At least a couple of players should have been aware he was out there.  I am not saying there is some big rift in the team.....I am just saying I think the team is done and has quit, they just don't care anymore.

Edited by TexasRenegade

3 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Supposedly Blake didn't like Herman and Hand's evaluation of whichever Brockermeyer plays center.  So they continued to string Texas along as Blake made the recruiting process about himself and what he could get out of it even though he had told people in private neither of the boys would play for Tom Herman.  Once Clemson also backed off being interested in recruiting both of them it was a foregone conclusion they were going Bama but they kept stringing Texas along and cost them an opportunity to recruit backup options.

In addition it has been rumored that they have actively recruited against Texas and in certain circles Blake and Mrs. Brockermeyer made asses of themselves about Texas in general. 

That is the 3rd hand gossip I put together from this site anyway.  Do with it what you will.

Thats the jist. Blake is an asshole who should mail back his T ring

• Rage+1 1

31 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

That much I knew.  I was just wondering if there was more to it because there seems to be a lot of vitriol towards them. 

The dad could have stayed out and if they pick bama then it is what it is. Clemson told them the same shit Texas told them, you have one son who is great and you have another son who is not going to start till hes a 5th year senior. Blake chose to believe a fuckin sociopath who regularly pushes players off his roster with no remorse that both his sons would be contributors. He sold his soul to the devil for one son who will make it and the other to become a transfer portal scrub ultimately to wind up at North Texas. He could have rolled the dice and picked one of the two schools who were actually honest with him instead of being a soft whiny bitch (I'm looking at you satya). 

6 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

I don't buy the player excuses.  How do you not know your QB is out on the field by himself after he basically willed you back from being down 35 to 17 to overtime.  At least a couple of players should have been aware he was out there.  I am not saying there is some big rift in the team.....I am just saying I think the team is done and has quit, they just don't care anymore.

Like uhhh Taquon Graham?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

The dad could have stayed out and if they pick bama then it is what it is. Clemson told them the same shit Texas told them, you have one son who is great and you have another son who is not going to start till hes a 5th year senior. Blake chose to believe a fuckin sociopath who regularly pushes players off his roster with no remorse that both his sons would be contributors. He sold his soul to the devil for one son who will make it and the other to become a transfer portal scrub ultimately to wind up at North Texas. He could have rolled the dice and picked one of the two schools who were actually honest with him instead of being a soft whiny bitch (I'm looking at you satya). 

It's just weird to me that Daddy and James Brockermeyer would actually believe that their path to James starting early, or period, ran through the Alabama program. Even if Herb and/or Tom tell you "we're not sure he's starting for awhile.", don't you look at the condition of that OL room and recruiting and laugh? "Yah, whatever dummies. Let's see what happens." Instead of "we'll just go be given the job at Bama with all of those lame high 4 and 5 stars huhuhuh."

Edited by UncleBuck

1 hour ago, Treefidy said:

Interesting question. I think:

Chances of winning: OU, UT, USC

Personal Life: UT, USC, OU (but this one is highly subjective so could really be in any order)

Job Opening Up: UT, USC, OU although no idea how real Lincoln to NFL is

In short, I'd be nervous about either opening up but think we'd still have a solid chance. Should try to lock him down before it can become an issue

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

It's just weird to me that Daddy and James Brockermeyer would actually believe that their path to James starting early, or period, ran through the Alabama program. Even if Herb and/or Tom tell you "we're not sure he's starting for awhile.", don't you look at the condition of that OL room and recruiting and laugh? "Yah, whatever dummies. Let's see what happens." Instead of "we'll just go be given the job at Bama with all of those lame high 4 and 5 stars huhuhuh."

Supposedly Texas  told him they would take him as a walkon but not a scholarship offer.  At the time I didn't believe Herman was dumb enough to state that but who knows.

35 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Portal could take care of a lot of problems.

Could help, but with all our holes next season along with scholarship limits, thinking the portal will fix things is a fools errand. 

have to see how/if NCAA addresses the free play 2020 season. Next year we need OL, LBs, CBs, safeties, a RB or 2... 

1 minute ago, TexasRenegade said:

Supposedly Texas  told him they would take him as a walkon but not a scholarship offer.  At the time I didn't believe Herman was dumb enough to state that but who knows.

Well then fuck Tom for that. That's stupid. Regardless of how you feel about his actual potential, it's still a 4-star rated OL whose brother is the best tackle in the country and a legacy and pretty much package deal and uhm also idiot you're probably gunna end up with a lot worse. 

Fuck

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Everyone except Blake knows that James will never see meaningful playing time. Even James knows he will be trying to nail co-ed tail at parties his brother invites him too while trying to convince people that hes actually on the team

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, UncleBuck said:

Well then fuck Tom for that. That's stupid. Regardless of how you feel about his actual potential, it's still a 4-star rated OL whose brother is the best tackle in the country and a legacy and pretty much package deal and uhm also idiot you're probably gunna end up with a lot worse. 

Fuck

I will state that was one person's comment on the situation. I hadn't seen anyone else say it.  I can believe Dabo might not have been interested in James, but Dabo recruiting is on a whole nother planet compared to Tom's so yeah.

6 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Crazy enough, having Ash already on board could actually be a selling point for us if Urban really does like him that much. Maybe Drayton and Yurc too

Not really. If Meyer doesn’t come to UT (and I’m not convinced he’d actually keep Ash if he did), Ash and all the other guys will be out of a job anyways and free to follow Urban wherever he goes. The current assistants on staff are not going to have any affect on what Meyer decides. 

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas