Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Burton is talking directly to people on the BOR. He's got a network with the alums as well, but he's better connected than the others to the administration and their governance mechanism. He'll feed doses of info and quotable sources to Brown as the Powers That Be instigate for him.

Ketchum is persona non grata but fatta with The Money and the administration. As others have pointed out, at some point, Anwar and Hermansipid became buddies, which is bizarre but we've watched it unfold.

People working with IT are connected to Carrington, assistants on the staff, Herman, and various other staffs across the country. They're also connected to the HS system and the street agent realm in ways no other sites are. Gerry is connected across the sports media landscape in ways the rest of these guys aren't. They're also connected to folks who are either major contributors or part of some of those cadres. 

To me, that means that that Burton will know definitively before anyone else when dipshit is fired. IT will know who the assistants will be, which players are staying/going, and which recruits are coming/leaving sooner than anyone else. Ketchum will know precisely when the McRib is back.

I think the fact that Burton has been so direct and demonstrative about Tom needing to go means it's already in motion.  There's nothing to think about.  I don't think this is something you walk back.

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

As a legal matter, using handling of The Eyes as a provable instance of insubordination doesn't thrill me.

Any/all of this is probably just one of several negotiating points, but that one in particular seems a little too factually squishy.

I agree. If something like that was the sole reason I was being asked to push someone out, I'd roll my eyes at shareholders/staff/whatever, strictly from just the business side as to whether it passed the smell test of legitimacy. I assume any lawyer being asked to advise on the same premise would back the eye roll. 

That considered, I'm guessing that that particular issue is part of a bundle of issues that they're putting together in their case for a lowered buyout, and they're ginning up their base involved with that buyout via the coverage of the EOT issue. We know with a decent amount of certainty that the EOT/Lone Ehlinger premise was embarrassing to BMDs hearing about it from everyone they know. 

I continue to maintain the belief, but maybe it's just hope, that they've uncovered/will uncover far more substantial examples of wild misbehavior from this clown and, with that, they give him and Armstrong the choice of that laundry being aired in public or the buyout getting cut in half or into 1/3 of the current total. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Hah, I just realized why ctj decided to return this week. All of his frustrations surrounding this Asshat were coming to a head previous to his break. Something happened behind the scenes to make him feel Herman was on his way out.

Edited by MoJames
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Hah, I just realized why ctj decided to return this week. All of his previous frustrations surrounding this Asshat were coming to a head previously to his break. Something happened behind the scenes to make him feel Herman was on his way out.

I watched the 2nd quarter on of the UTEP game while cooking dinner and there and then the switch flipped back on regarding college sports, and I think I visited Surly and started posting again shortly thereafter. I'm happy to say my interest levels haven't diminished or grown due to Tom Herman being a massive troll of the program, though. I wish we were better, but oh well. 

• Hook 'Em 3

23 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The eyes debacle with Herman

the double birds on national television 

the mocking of an opposing teams player on national tv

all seem to be data points that will be used to negotiate a much smaller buyout. 

The problem is, though, that none of those are likely to rise to the level of a contract breach.  Insubordination is probably a specific contract term, while jackassery and losing games like a dipshit are not.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Name a school that he coached at that had sanctions because of him.

if you don’t want Urban then you don’t want success and are happy with mediocracy

everyone knows when hiring him you will get 5-6 year max. Treat it as such. 

Not sure if this was intentional or not, but bravo. Describes our travails perfectly.

• Hook 'Em 1

As a legal matter, using handling of The Eyes as a provable instance of insubordination doesn't thrill me.
Any/all of this is probably just one of several negotiating points, but that one in particular seems a little too factually squishy.  Maybe if Del Conte said "it is vitally important for alumni relations that the team remain on the field" and Herman, instead of forgetting or soft-pedaling it, said "I'm not going to ask you to stay on the field.  I have been told to, but I'm not going to ask you to."
I'm not a lawyer, but it seems like if Tom ignored direct orders from cdc on how the team was to engage regarding the eot, AND as a direct result of that decision the AD was losing $ from donors, that's a more material issue.

The "I told you to have your team stay for the song and you ignored me and I don't like it" argument is much more eye-roll inducing than the "I told you to have your team stay for the song and you ignored me and as a direct result a bmd is threatening to pull a substantial donation" argument.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I watched the 2nd quarter on of the UTEP game while cooking dinner and there and then the switch flipped back on regarding college sports, and I think I visited Surly and started posting again shortly thereafter. I'm happy to say my interest levels haven't diminished or grown due to Tom Herman being a massive troll of the program, though. I wish we were better, but oh well. 

if u ever mention my woo again i will show up at your golf course with my woos

see how fast u fat yt fuccboi  runs that 40 when me & my woos chase you down 4 being an opp

final warning 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 3

6 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I'm not a lawyer, but it seems like if Tom ignored direct orders from cdc on how the team was to engage regarding the eot, AND as a direct result of that decision the AD was losing $ from donors, that's a more material issue.

The "I told you to have your team stay for the song and you ignored me and I don't like it" argument is much more eye-roll inducing than the "I told you to have your team stay for the song and you ignored me and as a direct result a bmd is threatening to pull a substantial donation" argument.

Fair point.

I just am dead reckoning that proof of a direct, unequivocal order and outright defiance of it is going to be kind of hard to come by.  Maybe not.  In the usual case, consequences of insubordination aren't necessary, the simple fact of it is enough, if, again, it was a direct order and complete defiance of same.  As always, a lot will depend on how the clause is drafted (second chances or "a single instance of insubordination shall be considered a material breach of this Agreement."

Edited by TwiceHorn

15 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Burton was never on board with Herman being hired, right? I seem to remember him having massive reservations back then. It's all blurring together in this decade of mediocrity that I may not be remembering correctly. 

Bobby was really angry that we hired Strong and not Jimbo. I don't remember him being against Tom in the same way but there wasn't as much of a chance to since it was done so quick.

2 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

This football season is secondary to hiring Urban. I would not be in “wait and see” mode between now and 12/1. I’d get this deal wrapped up totally, and absent a run-the-table conference champion and 9-2 bowl win finish*, you make the replacement as soon as possible. If there is a way to shore up early sign recruiting, don’t try and save $, fire him in October or November. Because I know enough to know we aren’t running the table. 

Which really sucks because I cannot root for us to lose. But it’d be classic short term gain and long term detriment.  He will ALWAYS drop a game EVERY SEASON that we shouldn’t. He’s not a championship coach. He’s an 8-4 coach. Better than 5-7; not good enough for us. 

*I would be in favor of firing him on 12/1 even if it’s clear we could be in CCG pending result of KSU 12/5.

Fuck, if he lost a game every year to a team he shouldn’t it would have been a great hire, he would be in elite company.  But to your point, he’s actually a 7-5 coach.

The GOAT Saban has only had 1 undefeated season in his career.  Dabo also.  Urban has done it twice which only JoPa and Osborne have done in like the past 50 years (3x each).  Petersen also did it 2x at Boise, so I guess you have to count him if you count Urbans one at Utah.

1 minute ago, Bill Lumbergh said:
2 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:
see how fast u fat yt fuccboi  runs that 40 when me & my woos chase you down 4 being an opp
final warning 

Does anyone have the decoder ring for this?

Translation:  I’m trying too hard. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I don't think his contract is in the public domain, but termination for "cause" definitions (assuming Tom had halfway decent representation) are generally drafted pretty narrowly if the employee has any leverage at all.  Tom had a ton of leverage.  Plus, I don't think anyone wants a public spat over whether the termination is for "cause" or not.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Keef said:

I don't think his contract is in the public domain, but termination for "cause" definitions (assuming Tom had halfway decent representation) are generally drafted pretty narrowly if the employee has any leverage at all.  Tom had a ton of leverage.  Plus, I don't think anyone wants a public spat over whether the termination is for "cause" or not.

It probably doesn’t help when trying to hire other top tier coaches. 

5 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

final warning 

I can't tell if you are actually this fucking stupid, or if it's your bit and, out of ennui this summer, the dufuses here encouraged your behavior to the point in which you actually convinced yourself that you were funny. Either way, I personally find you boring, tedious and needy. You've been swinging from my nuts since your first handle on this site and I wouldn't give you the heat of my piss on a cold day. It's sad and you should find someone more gratifying to follow around. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:
11 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:
final warning 

Does anyone have the decoder ring for this?

I don't know. I'm up to speed on these things but he doesn't use any form of established vernacular that I'm familiar with. I'll need everyone here to buy me some time.

6 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Why do I get the sick feeling that Mack will somehow fuck up the Urban hire?

First, what in the fuck are you doing conjuring evil like this and posting it on this board?

Second, Joe Jamail isn't walking through that door again. A lot of the BMDs were as happy to see Mack Brown gone as anyone, and a number of them are as ruthless as we would be when it comes to how that guy fucked up the transition when Strong was brought in. I guess is Red McCombs still gives a shit about Mack's opinion and is functional enough to handle a couple of phone calls, maybe in some distant since, it matters. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Do not speak further ill of my kin, lest my compatriots and I shall rally on the links to confront you and engage in fisticuffs.
Your melanin-challenged obesity betrays your purported footspeed, and it will not avail you of your comeuppance. JWhitt is gangsta.
Thou hast been cautioned, thou willst not be cautioned again.
Holy shit, I just realized "yt" is white. That's fucking funny.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bill Lumbergh said:
2 minutes ago, SuperSport said:
Do not speak further ill of my kin, lest my compatriots and I shall rally on the links to confront you and engage in fisticuffs.
Your melanin-challenged obesity betrays your purported footspeed, and it will not avail you of your comeuppance. JWhitt is gangsta.

Holy shit, I just realized "yt" is white. That's fucking funny.

Educate Yourself Shooting Star GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

I have a fuck lion.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

final warning 

I read this shit about 9 times, which is 8 1/2 more times than I should have. I don't understand any of it man, but maybe it's because I'm not a glizzy fuccboi. If one of my kids ever says woo I'm pretty sure I'll know I failed as a parent. 

16 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

Do you have the Danger Snacks version?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Burton is talking directly to people on the BOR. He's got a network with the alums as well, but he's better connected than the others to the administration and their governance mechanism. He'll feed doses of info and quotable sources to Brown as the Powers That Be instigate for him.

Thanks for the reply. I can't imagine Burton going out on a limb unless he doing someone a favor. It's not in his best business interests to do so if Herman has the chance to return. He's not mincing words or hedging. Something must be up.

33 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

final warning 

21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I can't tell if you are actually this fucking stupid, or if it's your bit and, out of ennui this summer, the dufuses here encouraged your behavior to the point in which you actually convinced yourself that you were funny. Either way, I personally find you boring, tedious and needy. You've been swinging from my nuts since your first handle on this site and I wouldn't give you the heat of my piss on a cold day. It's sad and you should find someone more gratifying to follow around. 

I just can't wait for y'alls buddy comedy to come out

51PV3P1SDRL._AC_SY445_.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I don't know....but CDC strikes me as the type who double dots his I's and double crosses his T's.  I would reckon if he gave the coaches a directive that they will have the players stay for the eyes and all that, I would bet there is a written and dated version of that directive somewhere.  If TH is truly as unlikeable as it seems, it shouldn't be too hard to find players/staff who would be willing to report him giving contradictory information to the players from what CDC gave to him.  If TH was winning 10-11 games a year and competing for a NC every year would this be an fireable issue....no.  But that isn't the situation.

As for Ketch and his pile of garbage...I seriously thought he was about to try and discredit and smear Reese to defend his report.

OH.....and the only image I have of Ketch that is associated with Jurassic Park is:

Nedry GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 1

This is really funny. Bravo.

God i hope yall are right in the speculation that something is happening behind scenes or that he is gone at the end of this year 

i just dont have that feeling and have never seen from UT that its going to happen. This all seems like wishful thinking.  i fucking hope im wrong.  

53 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:
55 minutes ago, SuperSport said:
38 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

I read this shit about 9 times, which is 8 1/2 more times than I should have. I don't understand any of it man, but maybe it's because I'm not a glizzy fuccboi. If one of my kids ever says woo I'm pretty sure I'll know I failed as a parent. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZtt51ElF_8TMKl3UOOIk

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Keef said:

Why wouldn't his contract be subject to FOI?  I know got a copy of Mack's that way back in the day.

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas