Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

22 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Why does this win suddenly keep us from hiring Urban? We either win out and get a crack at the B12 title and I cheer the entire way - and Herman is maybe STILL canned at the end of the season - or Herman trips over his dick against someone on our remaining slate and he's for SURE canned and we get to start a new era.

Where is Urban going in the meantime? I don't see the Cowboys firing McCarthy in the middle of his first season after Dak's ankle exploded. USC hasn't played a game yet. Auburn? Lol. Tennessee? Double lol. 

If Urban wants the Texas job he can wait. I doubt we would have hired him midseason regardless of tonight's result.

If Herman wins the conference, he’s not getting canned. We don’t control our own destiny yet, but we’re close. There’s still a chance to polish this turd of a season if we win out. There is zero chance that he would be fired mid season, which is now.

Edited by Spankytoes

20 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Why does this win suddenly keep us from hiring Urban? We either win out and get a crack at the B12 title and I cheer the entire way - and Herman is maybe STILL canned at the end of the season - or Herman trips over his dick against someone on our remaining slate and he's for SURE canned and we get to start a new era.

Where is Urban going in the meantime? I don't see the Cowboys firing McCarthy in the middle of his first season after Dak's ankle exploded. USC hasn't played a game yet. Auburn? Lol. Tennessee? Double lol. 

If Urban wants the Texas job he can wait. I doubt we would have hired him midseason regardless of tonight's result.

The thing it affects is losing recruits.  A near term firing of Herman and guys like Ewers have some reason for pause rather than committing elsewhere.  Drag this firing shit out and it's more likely him and others bail and go ahead and commit elsewhere.  Once they've done that it becomes much harder to flip them if/when we do do get a new coach..

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, nunna yo bizness said:

The thing it affects is losing recruits.  A near term firing of Herman and guys like Ewers have some reason for pause rather than committing elsewhere.  Drag this firing shit out and it's more likely him and others bail and go ahead and commit elsewhere.  Once they've done that it becomes much harder to flip them if/when we do do get a new coach..

I'm not sure if I agree. I think winning games like tonight kind of make it a wash for recruits. Might depend on the kid, whether they are a program recruit or a coach recruit. Texas gets a lot of the former even when we're shitty.

Well if the plan was to fire Herman and hire Meyer that suddenly looks to be in trouble now. If that was what UT wanted to do they needed to fire him immediately. Herman has a way to pulling these things out. Glad his players played for him unlike Strong. But hey still plenty of time for Herman to screw up again.

Great win though. Sure we played shitty but we won. Helps make Halloween fun.

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

the worst case scenario is winning the next 3 and then getting run out of the gym in manhattan while the recruiting class goes to shit.

Pretty sure the worst case scenario is we beat Kansas and lose the other 3, Tom gets a mulligan because of Covid and "distractions", then we go 6-6 next season and Urban tells us to fuck off and we hire Bryan Harsin.

And I wish this were more far-fetched.

Win a shitty big XII this year and be stuck with Tom for another year probably 2. Or lose a couple more games. Get rid of Tom. Replace him with Urban or another “has to better than this piece of shit Herman“.

I’ll gladly sacrifice this year if it means cutting out the cancer that is Tom Herman.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Odds were he wasn’t getting canned mid season anyway..either way we are going to get either a big 12 championship or Urban Meyer

Agree that was wish casting. This changes nothing imo. He lucked into this win just like he did with Tech. This being another wtf moment for Gundy too. 

Edited by Happy Gilmore
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Agree that was wish casting. This changes nothing imo. He lucked into this win just like he did with Tech. This being another wtf moment for Gundy too. 

Agreed what the fuck was that game...I mean they were dominant but those damn turnovers were wild

and on cue it looks like Riley is actually coaching up his OL and QB while our senior QB is getting shitty protection and is regressing.  its just so patently obvious Herman is so fucking overrated as a head coach and we are going to be stuck with him for another year just like Mackovic and we will tank next year with a new QB and no Ossai.

its like dejavu all over again.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

We still looked like shit for the most part. OL still sucks, receivers still suck, corners still suck. Had OSU taken care of the ball they would've beaten us by 3 scores. We may win this shitty conference after all (probably not though), but we'll never be elite under Herman. 4 years in and we don't look any better than we did in 2017.

22 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

if u didnt believe me when i told u the players still love coach herman go watch tarik black & bj fosters ig lives

They were litty in that locker room with herman

Hide contents

spacer.png

Why do they love him so much? Aren’t they tired of always losing? Legitimately curious 

2 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

He handled the George Floyd unrest really well, and he does seem pretty genuine in his love for the players. Doesn't surprise me that they would still like him. 

Charlie Strong's players loved him too. Players tend to love the coaches that they commit to/play for.

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

OSU had over 500 yards and we had 287.  They dominated the game, and we could lose to anyone except Kansas.   We could also beat anyone, too.

Honestly, shit ass, worst team in their last 20 years OU is still probably the best team in the conference this year.  Which is infuriating.

ou starting to look like the old ou.  They put 50 on us in the championship game and Herm could be gone

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas