Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

1 minute ago, Bigbend1812 said:

This is beyond sad and a big reason why he needs to be fired.  I’m glad we won.  it doesn’t mean we shouldn’t fire Herman today.  Nice parting gift!  Yay you beat OSU.

How many true road games against top 10 teams have we even had in the last 10 years? With OU being neutral field, I'm guessing very few

Man, the more I think about it and observe the offense, I think Herman's brief stint at OSU ruined him.
He mistook the institutional advantages there (good recruiting, ease of recruiting, great head coach and solid assistants) for his own brilliance.  And he thinks what he did there can and should be duplicated wherever he goes.

I was also thinking about his background. He studied under some significantly flawed coaches like Greg Davis, and then walked into a perfect situation. It gave him a false sense of confidence. He may never learn.

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

So not that impressive or a stat/fact

I'm trying to think of the 5 losses. Probably a Baylor and TCU loss in there somewhere. Notre Dame 2015 I think. Was okie lite in 2011 in Stillwater? KState was top 10 in 2012.

That might be the 5 right there, so it's possible it's been like 4 or 5 years since we played a top 10 team on the road.

2011 okie lite was at home. The 5 are:

2012 @KSt

2013 @Baylor

2015 @TCU (Domer was #11 that year)

2017 @USC (who was hilariously #4) and @TCU

Edited by ztejas

Maybe this should go in the urban or bust thread, but the two non urban coaches I've seen mentioned as the most realistic choices (franklin and fleck) are 0-4 and have looked like dog shit in the process.   To put it in surly terms, it's 1:50 am, last call was just announced, we're drunk and horny, and there is exactly one hot chick in the bar.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

Maybe this should go in the urban or bust thread, but the two non urban coaches I've seen mentioned as the most realistic choices (franklin and fleck) are 0-4 and have looked like dog shit in the process.   To put it in surly terms, it's 1:50 am, last call was just announced, we're drunk and horny, and there is exactly one hot chick in the bar.  

Fleck is a no go.  Franklin has a resume in P5 at 2 schools. I'd give coaches that have a good P5 resume a pass for this year. He'd be in a group of maybe 3 I'd take if we can't get Urban.

9 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

We're getting the undefeated Indiana coach and you're gonna like it.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how we have been in 3 OT games this year.  We played in one of the earliest OT games in Texas-OU 1996 and then didn't play in another OT game until 2013 (Mack's first and only one here). Charlie had us in a couple.  This motherfucker has had us in 6 OT games in 3.5 seasons.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Just now, Surly Bevo said:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how we have been in 3 OT games this year.  We played in one of the earliest OT games in Texas-OU 1996 and then didn't play in another OT game until 2013 (Mack's first and only one here). Charlie had us in a couple.  This motherfucker has had us in 6 OT games in 3.5 seasons.

Winning is hard?

1 minute ago, Surly Bevo said:

Well we went to OT with OU because Tom didn't have the sense or the balls to try to win it in regulation.

16 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

Imo if we don’t get Urban we should hire Tony Elliott. I think that dude is a damn good coach and has learned from one of the best in Dabo. 

but people here say we HAVE to hire a coach with prior head coach experience. 

5 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

3-3 in those OT games. 

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

It’d be Texas and OU by virtue of the 2-1 records. That’s not happening though. That Texas team out there didn’t really look any better. They’ll lose again.

KSU in Manhattan is a for sure loss.  they'll have that QB going by then and Kleimann is going to coach circles around our dipshit.

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Imo if we don’t get Urban we should hire Tony Elliott. I think that dude is a damn good coach and has learned from one of the best in Dabo. 

If he impresses in the interview as much as Mack did

It's a symptom of Herman's style and the big 12.

If we're behind, he still plays offense conservatively until/unless we fall behind by +1 score, and only then does he open it up. We're usually good enough to come back when we play aggressively, but as soon as we get close or take a lead, we play conservatively again.

Same if we get a +1 score lead. We just hope to sit on that in an offense heavy league.

The style of play almost guarantees games that are tight at the end, and those games have a higher likelihood of going to OT (as well as a higher likelihood of damaging my liver).
  • Hook 'Em 1

If no Urban, then a competent coaching search would at least be nice: interview As many as we can. Hearing from coaches with experience and their views on how to turn the program around can only be beneficial. I just want to win—convincingly and consistently. I want our players to be developed. I want our recruits to be excited to play here. 

If not Urban, I have no idea who we will target. Coaches I would at least like to “interview” (notice I didn’t say select—just interview) are Fickell and Chadwell (yes—the new HC of Coastal Carolina). I would like to at least have them be interviewed. We can pick the OC of Clemson or whomever at the end of the day.  As long as we do a real search with legit candidates and coaches who are on the rise. Jmo. I am not giving Fleck a pass for the poor decision he made in OT. Not at all, but to say he’s now a terrible coach at a program that up until last year hasn’t won as many games since 1905 is bullshit. Not saying he’s even a good fit here. But we should interview a lot of the ones who have been successful and have ideas. 

Fleck has had 8 plus starters out with Covid the past two weeks (all of special teams and most of the Oline). To hear Herman make excuses about Covid after the game yesterday, in year four, is a joke. 

will still never root for our school to lose. Ever. But Herman’s got to go. It’s time. 

2016: Imo if we don’t get (I don't remember the other popular names) we should hire Tom Herman. I think that dude is a damn good coach and has learned from one of the best in Urban. 

but people here say we HAVE to hire a coach with prior P5 head coach experience.

I'm not saying you're wrong about Elliott, but our history with the high risk/high reward hires over the last decade is why some of us would prefer a different direction with this hire.

Muschamp was an absolutely elite coordinator as well. Sometimes they transition well and sometimes they don't.
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

If no Urban, then a competent coaching search would at least be nice: interview As many as we can. Hearing from coaches with experience and their views on how to turn the program around can only be beneficial. I just want to win—convincingly and consistently. I want our players to be developed. I want our recruits to be excited to play here. 

Love the passion...

NO WAY you can interview a large number of candidates -- not realistic for hiring the next Head Football Coach at TEXAS...

2 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

2016: Imo if we don’t get (I don't remember the other popular names) we should hire Tom Herman. I think that dude is a damn good coach and has learned from one of the best in Urban. 

but people here say we HAVE to hire a coach with prior P5 head coach experience.

I'm not saying you're wrong about Elliott, but our history with the high risk/high reward hires over the last decade is why some of us would prefer a different direction with this hire.

Muschamp was an absolutely elite coordinator as well. Sometimes they transition well and sometimes they don't.

Because we go get a hot name coach. 

Counter points:

Lincoln Riley

Kirby Smart

Bob Stoops

Dabo Swinney 

Barry Switzer

Ed Orgeron(only here because he won a title)

David Shaw

Ryan Day 

Just now, LTtxfan said:

Love the passion...

NO WAY you can interview a large number of candidates -- not realistic for hiring the next Head Football Coach at TEXAS...

Passion is me though. I’m passionate about life. Made a ton of bad decisions because of that passion. But like a lot of y’all I have lost that passion for UT football over the last decade plus. I’ll get excited about a game  from time to time, but yeah, it’s dormant now. And if fans like me have lost touch with our passion for UT football it’s ridiculous I guess to expect a recruit to have it. If it’s not Urban, the name of the New hire won’t move the needle for a bunch of us initially. But if that new hire has a plan and executes it and brings us back to where we should be and develops our players then I will find that passion again. I just don’t want a fraud. Strong was overwhelmed and a poor fit—but he wasn’t a charlatan. He wasn’t an arrogant asshole telling us how stupid we are and how smart he is. Herman—I have had enough of. This is our house Tom! (Like those commercials). We don’t like ya—GTFO. (Sorry Eddie Murphy—had to mess with that a bit.) 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Counter points:

Lincoln Riley

Kirby Smart

Bob Stoops

Dabo Swinney 

Barry Switzer

David Shaw

Ryan Day 

Orgeron is about to get canned. Smart and Stoops were chronic underachievers that couldn't win on the biggest stage - except when Stoops was still rolling out Blake's guys. David Shaw? Shouldn't be our standard. Day and Riley both inherited the program so those shouldn't count. 

Counter points:
Lincoln Riley
Kirby Smart
Bob Stoops
Dabo Swinney 
Barry Switzer
David Shaw
Ryan Day 

I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm saying we're not very good at it.

One big difference I see in several names on that list is there was a coach who knows excellence involved in vetting these candidates.

If you told me Nick Saban was retiring and had hand selected a young up and comer as the guy to replace him, I'd be more bought in to the choice.

I think we absolutely suck at those evaluations, so don't trust us to appropriately vet Elliott or anyone else.

At least a proven P5 coach removes some of the unknowns.

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Orgeron is about to get canned. Smart and Stoops were chronic underachievers that couldn't win on the biggest stage - except when Stoops was still rolling out Blake's guys. David Shaw? Shouldn't be our standard. Day and Riley both inherited the program so those shouldn't count. 

So no coach ever should be hired anywhere  without prior experience? At this point you’re just making excuses as to why not and is part of the reason we have been a failure in hiring since DKR. 

Id gladly take Smart and Stoops “underachieving” over anything we have had from 85-00 and 2010-current. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Even when we win we look like complete shit. It’s not even good football. 

Only Alabama and Clemson with Lawrence consistently look good. Every other team is great one week and complete shit the next. Some just manage to sneak a win out even when looking like shit. 

It's why I hate college football and giving it a chance this year just reaffirmed that. Also the playoff system with only 4 teams made it worse and made the gap wider. It's Clemson, Alabama, and Ohio State getting all the top players in the country every year and it's not even close. Then they make the playoffs even if they lose a game or two because it's by committee and the committee knows those three get the best players in the country every year. So those 3 always get showcased in the playoffs and therefore always get the best players for the next year. Texas is out of that loop and unless it gets a coach that cuts into that three team share for the top talent it'll never change. 

The NFL is FAR superior because of the hard cap and draft situation. It's why an ok schematic coach like Saban can post up and out talent everyone in college but got his shit pushed in once the field was level in the NFL. 

• Fuck You 6

1 minute ago, Wanker Bob said:

Only Alabama and Clemson with Lawrence consistently look good. Every other team is great one week and complete shit the next. Some just manage to sneak a win out even when looking like shit. 

It's why I hate college football and giving it a chance this year just reaffirmed that. Also the playoff system with only 4 teams made it worse and made the gap wider. It's Clemson, Alabama, and Ohio State getting all the top players in the country every year and it's not even close. Then they make the playoffs even if they lose a game or two because it's by committee and the committee knows those three get the best players in the country every year. So those 3 always get showcased in the playoffs and therefore always get the best players for the next year. Texas is out of that loop and unless it gets a coach that cuts into that three team share for the top talent it'll never change. 

The NFL is FAR superior because of the hard cap and draft situation. It's why an ok schematic coach like Saban can post up and out talent everyone in college but got his shit pushed in once the field was level in the NFL. 

This is a post a fan of Minnesota or some other middling program would make.

you sound like a wanker, bob.

• Hook 'Em 3

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas