Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

Just now, Wanker Bob said:

Tom Herman isn't that bad of a coach. He's just getting one or two five stars a year while the top three teams get double digits every year

Have you actually WATCHED the last 3.5 years of Herman? Aside from a decent 2018 (still had some inexplicable losses), he’s been garbage. 

3 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

Only Alabama and Clemson with Lawrence consistently look good. Every other team is great one week and complete shit the next. Some just manage to sneak a win out even when looking like shit. 

It's why I hate college football and giving it a chance this year just reaffirmed that. Also the playoff system with only 4 teams made it worse and made the gap wider. It's Clemson, Alabama, and Ohio State getting all the top players in the country every year and it's not even close. Then they make the playoffs even if they lose a game or two because it's by committee and the committee knows those three get the best players in the country every year. So those 3 always get showcased in the playoffs and therefore always get the best players for the next year. Texas is out of that loop and unless it gets a coach that cuts into that three team share for the top talent it'll never change. 

The NFL is FAR superior because of the hard cap and draft situation. It's why an ok schematic coach like Saban can post up and out talent everyone in college but got his shit pushed in once the field was level in the NFL. 

1 minute ago, Wanker Bob said:

Tom Herman isn't that bad of a coach. He's just getting one or two five stars a year while the top three teams get double digits every year

Somebody's been listening to Joel Klatt on the radio.

The top 2-3 teams every year in the recruiting rankings get anywhere from 3-5 5-star kids. They're not raking in "double digit" 5-stars. There aren't that many kids who get the fifth star.

We have had since 2010 recruiting classes ranked in the top 20. With the exception of one year we have had classes in the top ten. Not sure about going forward since we seem to be hemorrhaging recruits now. There is no excuse. None for our shit play the last decade outside of coaching. Period. Coaching. Coaching man. It’s a thing. 

48 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

So no coach ever should be hired anywhere  without prior experience? At this point you’re just making excuses as to why not and is part of the reason we have been a failure in hiring since DKR. 

Id gladly take Smart and Stoops “underachieving” over anything we have had from 85-00 and 2010-current. 

You're supporting the idea that it would be okay to dick around and make a non-Urban hire because they might pan out the way Dabo Swinney did - or to a lesser extent someone like Stoops. If anyone is entertaining the ideas that have plauged our post-DKR hires it would be you by making posts like that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You're supporting the idea that it would be okay to dick around and make a non-Urban hire because they might pan out the way Dabo Swinney did - or to a lesser extent someone like Stoops. If anyone is entertaining the ideas that have plauged our post-DKR hires it would be you by making posts like that.

I clearly stated if Urban doesn’t happen.  That’s who I would target. Are you fucking retarded today?

Edited by BurntOrange&White

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Man, the more I think about it and observe the offense, I think Herman's brief stint at OSU ruined him.

He mistook the institutional advantages there (good recruiting, ease of recruiting, great head coach and solid assistants) for his own brilliance.  And he thinks what he did there can and should be duplicated wherever he goes.

I forgot to add, but it is implied, but part of the duplication process, in Herman's mind, seems to be the B10 style of football.  The tight ends for receivers, the emphasis on "straight ahead" (i.e. no misdirection) running, etc.

Sure, you can probably take that style of football, with OSUs talent and position coaching, and win anywhere, mostly.  But fall short in any particular area and you're in deep shit.

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

He is?

I mean, no, that was bad hyperbole.

19 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I clearly stated if Urban doesn’t happen.  That’s who I would target. Are you fucking retarded today?

You would target Barry Switzer? What the hell are we talking about here. I'm lost.

54 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

This is a post a fan of Minnesota or some other middling program would make.

you sound like a wanker, bob.

Newsflash. Texas is a middling program. Sooner you realize it the happier you'll be just watching the game to enjoy it. 

The only hope you have is to hire Urban and hope he can bring a big enough share of those five stars with him just by reputation. if they aren't getting the numbers that Alabama and Clemson and Ohio State get they will never compete with them. 

Edited by Wanker Bob
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 20

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Exactly. It's a sad comment on the conference. 

I couldn't work up any interest is watching other conference games yesterday. None. I watched maybe 3 minutes of other games. Mich-Mich State was more interesting as were other conference games.

With where we are right now, Texas is perfect for the Big 12. The Big 12 is not perfect for me.

They're losing me. And I hate it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

Newsflash. Texas is a middling program. Sooner you realize it the happier you'll be just watching the game to enjoy it. 

The only hope you have is to hire Urban and hope he can bring a big enough share of those five stars with him just by reputation. if they aren't getting the numbers that Alabama and Clemson and Ohio State get they will never compete with them. 

There is no way you went to Texas.  Fuck off. 

4 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

Newsflash. Texas is a middling program... 

...because of the head coach. That's why this thread exists. 

Sooner you realize it the happier you'll be just watching the game to enjoy it. 

No, mediocre football isn't enjoyable, so it won't be enjoyed. That's why this thread exists. 

The only hope you have is to hire Urban and hope he can bring a big enough share of those five stars with him just by reputation. 

I mean, there are other coaches out there that could do a much better job than Herman. But yeah, Urban is the closest you can get to a guarantee to get the program where it needs to be. That's why this thread exists. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

You’re a fucking idiot, go look at what dabo was recruiting like 5-6 years ago at back woods school like Clemson before he turned them into a juggernaut it was nothing but you he actually coached them up. Texas is a top five composite talent roster and we regularly get bitch slapped by teams reuniting at the fucking G5 level because we have worthless coaching.

Are you American or a whiny Brit, because you sound like a whiny British wanker. And if you’re not, quit posing as a whiny British wanker.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Go back to bed or learn to read. 

Your "target" would be Tony Elliot. You then gave a list of examples of guys like him that have worked out. I missed the part about "assuming we don't hire Urban". I was simply playing devil's advocate on many of the names that you listed. 

This is all nuance from my perspective since we might as well keep Herman another year if we are going to replace him with an unproven coordinator type hire. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

It's a symptom of Herman's style and the big 12.

If we're behind, he still plays offense conservatively until/unless we fall behind by +1 score, and only then does he open it up. We're usually good enough to come back when we play aggressively, but as soon as we get close or take a lead, we play conservatively again.

Same if we get a +1 score lead. We just hope to sit on that in an offense heavy league.

The style of play almost guarantees games that are tight at the end, and those games have a higher likelihood of going to OT (as well as a higher likelihood of damaging my liver).

I was shocked they blitzed to end the game yesterday.  With a QB that is mistake/turnover prone we would normally give him all day to either find a wide open receiver or run for a first down/touchdown to tie the game.  This game was practically gift wrapped for Herman.  No way this happens again.   If these other b12 teams keep giving the W to UT I’m going to guess they want Herman to stay more the we want him gone.  

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Man, the more I think about it and observe the offense, I think Herman's brief stint at OSU ruined him.

He mistook the institutional advantages there (good recruiting, ease of recruiting, great head coach and solid assistants) for his own brilliance.  And he thinks what he did there can and should be duplicated wherever he goes.

Nah, he did fine at Houston as well.  The problem was coming to Texas with a hodgepodge team with zero continuity.   His problem is that he missed with players, missed with some coaches, made stupid mistakes as a HC (Yurich-Herman Hybrid offense).  It also looks like he is struggling to recognize the better gameday players ( Bijan vs Brewers use in the most recent game,  Sam is beat to shit and we are expecting him to play savior)  Stupid penalties (Delays).    Our portal pick-ups are not helping the team overall and that is on Herman.    

Let's agree to shit on Herman for the actual fuck-ups instead of making up stupid shit to whine about.   No one cares that he may be a prick.  Urban Meyer is a prick.   

3 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Nah, he did fine at Houston as well.  The problem was coming to Texas with a hodgepodge team with zero continuity.   His problem is that he missed with players, missed with some coaches, made stupid mistakes as a HC (Yurich-Herman Hybrid offense).  It also looks like he is struggling to recognize the better gameday players ( Bijan vs Brewers use in the most recent game,  Sam is beat to shit and we are expecting him to play savior)  Stupid penalties (Delays).    Our portal pick-ups are not helping the team overall and that is on Herman.    

Let's agree to shit on Herman for the actual fuck-ups instead of making up stupid shit to whine about.   No one cares that he may be a prick.  Urban Meyer is a prick.   

There’s a big difference between a prick that wins and a prick that loses.  

3 minutes ago, stork642 said:

I say Hugh Freeze.  Keep him off the hookers and there’s no doubt he know$ how to recruit and he’s proven he can beat Bama.  

You seem to be forgetting that he got absolutely boat raced by TCU in the 2014 Peach Bowl. https://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400610182

48 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

Bama was a forgotten program on the national stage until Saban arrived.  Dabo turned Clemson into a powerhouse, they were happy to hire Bowden kids previously.  OSU is a great program because they have not missed on coaches as much as others have (Michigan, USC, Texas, Alabama, Auburn).   It falls on the AD/Boosters as much as it falls on the coaches.  

4 minutes ago, stork642 said:

There’s a big difference between a prick that wins and a prick that loses.  

A prick that loses is a mega ultra douche. Pretty much. I’m all for arrogance as long as it’s not misplaced. You win you can let the fungus grow back on your shower shoes and the press will think you’re colorful. No one cares. Pats fans don’t care that Belichick hates them back. Lol.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

A prick that loses is a mega ultra douche. Pretty much. I’m all for arrogance as long as it’s not misplaced. You win you can let the fungus grow back on your shower shoes and the press will think you’re colorful. No one cares. Pats fans don’t care that Belichick hates them back. Lol.

Well done, Crash.

DR_RxrfWkAIS1Cn.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, TotallyLegit said:

You seem to be forgetting that he got absolutely boat raced by TCU in the 2014 Peach Bowl. https://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400610182

That TCU team was angry and might have been the best team in the country.

Not that I want Hugh Freeze, but I'll defend him on that note at least. 

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

There is no way you went to Texas.  Fuck off. 

I didn't. Came to this board as I found out in search for something else. I went to an Ivy league school so college football wasn't a big thing. I've tried to watch it over the years here and there since my friends are into it but it just really really sucks

I have followed Texas this year since I post here and what I've seen is an unbiased outside view and you just aren't anywhere on the same level as a top program and I only see one possible way to get there. You won't get there with the lack of talent you have now but 3-5 programs have a monopoly on all the top level talent. College football is like EPL. It's why I don't watch that much either 

Edited by Wanker Bob
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 12

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

That TCU team was angry and might have been the best team in the country.

Not that I want Hugh Freeze, but I'll defend him on that note at least. 

I forgot about that game. It was violent. We throw this term around too much, but they beat the shit out of them. Made their ass quit from the jump.

6 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

I didn't. Came to this board as I found out in search for something else. I went to an Ivy league school so college football wasn't a big thing. I've tried to watch it over the years here and there since my friends are into it but it just really really sucks

Hi Bob- If you didn't attend UT and think CFB “really really sucks”- I have to ask- For what reason do you feel the need to comment?

i mean other than exercising your first amendment and showing off that Ivy League education, of course.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

spacer.png

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

So why are you here? Calling a 4 time National Championship team with a history of wins that puts us in the top 4 winningest teams of all time a "middling program" doesn't seem to display  the rigorous thinking that Ivy League graduates would like to be known for. In fact it's ignorant.

Now you say football just "really really sucks", yet you have more than a thousand posts. 

Edit: (Nice edit job to "soften" your post)

Edited by 927 E. 41st

19 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I forgot about that game. It was violent. We throw this term around too much, but they beat the shit out of them. Made their ass quit from the jump.

They whipped our ass by 38 in DKR that year. Should have known right then and there that Charlie probably wasn't the dude.

So- I know this isn’t a popular opinion,  it if we aren’t going to bother to hire Urban Meyer I’m not sure what the point even is on firing Tom Herman. If I was the AD I wouldn’t be particularly interested in cutting $20 million in buyouts to this staff and starting all over for someone like Fleck or Franklin or someone like that. This isn’t praising Herman this is just saying if you want to upgrade fucking do it- don’t hope you just get lucky. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Not a Sock said:

You’re a fucking idiot, go look at what dabo was recruiting like 5-6 years ago at back woods school like Clemson before he turned them into a juggernaut it was nothing but you he actually coached them up. Texas is a top five composite talent roster and we regularly get bitch slapped by teams reuniting at the fucking G5 level because we have worthless coaching.

Where Clemson located? In the Southeast. Where does the bulk of the talent that Alabama and Georgia and LSU pile up from? The Southeast. Clemson already had ready-made advantages to be exploited that Texas just doesn't have. Texas HS has good skill position guys and some QBs but the lineman in this state are absolute trash. You'll never win with Texas linemen again. HS football in Texas is spread heavy and soft. Urban would have to import all his linemen from the Southeast and Midwest. That would be his biggest challenge.

Also, I know your middling program has you all flustered but no need for name calling. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 17

1 hour ago, Wanker Bob said:

What about the talent compared to OU or TCU or ISU? Should they compete with them, Bob?

For an ivy leaguer you sure have a stupid fucking opinion on this one.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

So why are you here? Calling a 4 time National Championship team with a history of wins that puts us in the top 4 winningest teams of all time a "middling program" doesn't seem to display  the rigorous thinking that Ivy League graduates would like to be known for. In fact it's ignorant.

Now you say football just "really really sucks", yet you have more than a thousand posts. 

You're living on the past. Like distant past. Outside of the Vince-McCoy years Texas has been middling since before most of us here were born. 

From 2010-2019 you average 7 wins a season. Earlier someone said Texas isn't a middling program like Minnesota. Well in the last 10 seasons Texas has 0 conference titles and 0 11+ win seasons. Minnesota has 0 conference titles and 1 11 win season. 

Just the facts bro. It would be cool since I found this site if y'all would find a way to compete but as it is now and has been for a while now you just don't. You should set your sights on conference titles and nothing more. 

Edited by Wanker Bob
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 18

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas