Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So- I know this isn’t a popular opinion,  it if we aren’t going to bother to hire Urban Meyer I’m not sure what the point even is on firing Tom Herman. If I was the AD I wouldn’t be particularly interested in cutting $20 million in buyouts to this staff and starting all over for someone like Fleck or Franklin or someone like that. This isn’t praising Herman this is just saying if you want to upgrade fucking do it- don’t hope you just get lucky. 

If Herman can't win the Big 12 in a year where OU is down, when is he ever going to win it? His returns seem to be diminishing. He's 1-4 against OU, 1-3 against TCU, and 2-2 against oSu. He's criminally underperforming. 

What has he shown you to say keeping him another year is worth it?

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

OU probably not. The others yes and you do compete with them. On similar levels

1-6 over last 7 v TCU. Very competitive. 

Isnt your whole premise that it’s unfair to judge Herman against Bama, tOSU, Clemson because they get better talent? But apparently Herman is doing fine being competitive with ISU despite the HUGE gap in talent?

Stick to the NFL dude, because you clearly have no idea what you’re talking about here .

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, mdmost said:

If Herman can't win the Big 12 in a year where OU is down, when is he ever going to win it? His returns seem to be diminishing. He's 1-4 against OU, 1-3 against TCU, and 2-2 against oSu. He's criminally underperforming. 

This year, the football has been absolutely unwatchable. This is last year of strong level bad when it comes to penalties, mental errors, bad tackling, and players underperforming. We have only won the two road games in overtime because the other teams somehow made even more mistakes than we did.

11 minutes ago, mdmost said:

It’s not about him at all- which I said twice. It’s literally about the idea of “why bother” when talking about the big buyout during a time of revenue Armageddon. Look- if they pull the trigger on him I’m not going to complain. He deserved it. But if they do it to bring in Fleck or franklin or someone from a G5 school instead of Meyer imma gonna be pissed and not even see the point. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

This year, the football has been absolutely unwatchable. This is last year of strong level bad when it comes to penalties, mental errors, bad tackling, and players underperforming. We have only won the two road games in overtime because the other teams somehow made even more mistakes than we did.

This is just it - it’s not necessarily that we suck that infuriates me, it’s HOW. Stupid penalties, missed assignment and tackles and lacking situational awareness. Hallmarks of bad coaching. Gets this fraud the fuck out.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChemicalHorn said:

For an ivy leaguer you sure have a stupid fucking opinion on this one.

He seems to have the same problem as Herman. Get told you are smart, believe you are smart, begin to believe that every thought that enters your head is correct and "brilliant".

The most unbelievable thing in his previous post is that he has "friends". 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It’s not about him at all- which I said twice. It’s literally about the idea of “why bother” when talking about the big buyout during a time of revenue Armageddon. Look- if they pull the trigger on him I’m not going to complain. He deserved it. But if they do it to bring in Fleck or franklin or someone from a G5 school instead of Meyer imma gonna be pissed and not even see the point. 

It's not your money so who gives a shit about the buyout? If the donors are paying the buyout then move him the fuck on and bring in the next guy. That's the deal we signed up for when we pushed Mack out. If the idea is keep Herman who can't win the Big 12 unless we can get Urban then what exactly do you think is going to improve? For the record, no I do not want Fleck or Franklin. But Tom Herman has not fundamentally made Texas a better program. He's not going to so why keep wasting time on him? We need the next guy to get in, try to squeeze some wins out of the existing talent, while bringing in some transfers in a year where everyone will get a free transfer if they wish. If we actually got someone in who could do something with the talent, this would be the offseason to do it in.

10 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

OU probably not. The others yes and you do compete with them. On similar levels

That doesn’t compute. At least regarding OU. Every year since 2010 (save 2017), UT has had the top recruits in the conference. Nationally, in 2010–#2

2011–#4,

2012–#2, 

2013–#17

2014–#17

2015–#10

2016–#7

2017–#25

2018–#3

2019–#3

2020–#8

in that same decade, OU has had #5 class in 2010, #8 in 2017 (our worst year in recruiting since 2000), #9 in 2018 and #6 in 2019. We should be beating OU if it comes down to regularly having higher rates recruiting classes. It’s all coaching. We get the coach we will win. It’s not rocket science. OU only beat us one year in conference in recruiting  and that was 2017. TCU is always a distant third. There are no other excuses outside of shit coaching. We can get the recruits. We just don’t develop them and our coaching has been the suck since 2010. Give or take a few flashes. Shit, ATM is gaining on us nationally since 2019. It’s not we are middling. We have hired poorly. And it shows. 

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

You're living on the past. Like distant past. Outside of the Vince-McCoy years Texas has been middling since before most of us here were born. 

From 2010-2019 you average 7 wins a season. Earlier someone said Texas isn't a middling program like Minnesota. Well in the last 10 seasons Texas has 0 conference titles and 0 11+ win seasons. Minnesota has 0 conference titles and 1 11 win season. 

Just the facts bro. It would be cool since I found this site if y'all would find a way to compete but as it is now and has been for a while now you just don't. You should set your sights on conference titles and nothing more. 

Funny, that doesn't read like a post from someone that thinks football "really really sucks". You can't be interested enough to dig up team records and yet think the whole thing sucks. You just outed yourself as a fraud.

Edited by 927 E. 41st

6 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

Funny, that doesn't read like a post from someone that thinks football "really really sucks". You can't be interested enough to dig up team records and yet think the whole thing sucks. You just outed yourself as a fraud.

You no google? Took 1 easy search for Texas and 1 easy search for minnesota. Like 3 min

Also, NFL football is awesome. Been watching since 2009. College football sucks

Edited by Wanker Bob
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 15

32 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

You're living on the past. Like distant past. Outside of the Vince-McCoy years Texas has been middling since before most of us here were born. 

From 2010-2019 you average 7 wins a season. Earlier someone said Texas isn't a middling program like Minnesota. Well in the last 10 seasons Texas has 0 conference titles and 0 11+ win seasons. Minnesota has 0 conference titles and 1 11 win season. 

Just the facts bro. It would be cool since I found this site if y'all would find a way to compete but as it is now and has been for a while now you just don't. You should set your sights on conference titles and nothing more. 

I am not sure what you are saying. Setting our sites on a Conference Title is exactly what we are doing. And you cannot control getting anything more.

If we start winning lots of conference titles feel free to come back and demand we not want anything more. Because I think that is what we want to see: conference titles. So you should be happy I guess.

9 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

You no google? Took 1 easy search for Texas and 1 easy search for minnesota. Like 3 min

Oh. So...why do you care if Minnesota or Texas are programs of whatever variety? Why do you care if we care about conference titles or not?

What exactly is your point?

11 minutes ago, markstanco said:

The 2010 decade is historically the worst in history. Discounting the Vince and colt years is super aggy.

The guy is a NFL fan. College Football, for whatever reason, has a longer memory. Notre Dame is still revered even though they haven't won a championship since 1988 and much of their luster comes from times even older than that. That kind of thing doesn't happen in the NFL.

It's not like people are excited to play or coach for the 49ers because of Joe Montana. But that kind of stuff does happen in College Football.

Edited by Valmy77

28 minutes ago, mdmost said:

It's not your money so who gives a shit about the buyout? If the donors are paying the buyout then move him the fuck on and bring in the next guy. That's the deal we signed up for when we pushed Mack out. If the idea is keep Herman who can't win the Big 12 unless we can get Urban then what exactly do you think is going to improve? For the record, no I do not want Fleck or Franklin. But Tom Herman has not fundamentally made Texas a better program. He's not going to so why keep wasting time on him? We need the next guy to get in, try to squeeze some wins out of the existing talent, while bringing in some transfers in a year where everyone will get a free transfer if they wish. If we actually got someone in who could do something with the talent, this would be the offseason to do it in.

It’s not my money and I don’t care if Herman is sent on his way. I would quibble with the idea he has not advanced the program since Charlie- I think that’s a fundamentally crazy thing to say and ignores just how bad Charlie’s tenure was, but yeah he deserves to get the ax. If it happens I just want to see us get someone that we all know is a home run. And that’s urban- they don’t get any safer than that. If they go some other direction I will feel like they are rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. 
might they catch lightning in a bottle?  Sure I guess. But I’d you are rooting for implausible results maybe root for Herman to develop some self awaren... I couldn’t even type that out. 

ETA- I don’t want to argue with you. I’m just saying if you are going to bother to change coaches let’s make sure it’s an upgrade. and a significant one.  

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So- I know this isn’t a popular opinion,  it if we aren’t going to bother to hire Urban Meyer I’m not sure what the point even is on firing Tom Herman. If I was the AD I wouldn’t be particularly interested in cutting $20 million in buyouts to this staff and starting all over for someone like Fleck or Franklin or someone like that. This isn’t praising Herman this is just saying if you want to upgrade fucking do it- don’t hope you just get lucky. 

Cdc wants to preserve his reputation, I presume, as an ad that makes excellent hires.  If we finish 7 and 3 or worse and Tom comes back, I think it will be because overtures were made and Urban didn’t agree.  No extensions or raises, nothing during offseason, and next year we go 6 and 6 or whatever, and buyouts for everyone go down.  

This is copying a previous event in our history.  After the 1984 freedom bowl massacre that nobody was interested in, everybody in Austin knew Fred needed to go, just a matter of time.  Our leaders waited two more years to make a move.  

When did everybody in Austin know Tom needed to go?  I think it was that moment in Dallas this year, when he decided to go to ot. Instead of trying to win the game in regulation.  Some people are saying this is the worst ou team in 20 years.

i don’t expect leadership to wait 2 years, but it would not surprise me to see a one year wait.  

2 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

Cdc wants to preserve his reputation, I presume, as an ad that makes excellent hires.  If we finish 7 and 3 or worse and Tom comes back, I think it will be because overtures were made and Urban didn’t agree.  No extensions or raises, nothing during offseason, and next year we go 6 and 6 or whatever, and buyouts for everyone go down.  

This is copying a previous event in our history.  After the 1984 freedom bowl massacre that nobody was interested in, everybody in Austin knew Fred needed to go, just a matter of time.  Our leaders waited two more years to make a move.  

When did everybody in Austin know Tom needed to go?  I think it was that moment in Dallas this year, when he decided to go to ot. Instead of trying to win the game in regulation.  Some people are saying this is the worst ou team in 20 years.

i don’t expect leadership to wait 2 years, but it would not surprise me to see a one year wait.  

Yeah- if no urban meyer this is sort of the way I see it going down. Or rather I wouldn’t be shocked if it went down that way. 

Ignore and stop QTing Twat Bob. Dude admits he doesn’t even pay attention to the college game, yet continues to show his ass trying to explain it to us like we’re a bunch of dumb infant hillbillies. The dude only found this forum because he ran a search and probably came across some ridiculous Cloak Room topic to get off on. Obviously he has stayed here for some reason or the other, but plz do not allow him to dawdle around on this thread and drag it down any further. It’s a waste of space. Go fuck off.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I would quibble with the idea he has not advanced the program since Charlie- I think that’s a fundamentally crazy thing to say and ignores just how bad Charlie’s tenure was

A lot of people ignore how bad Charlie's tenure was and act like Herman is more of the same. Herman needs to go because it's become apparent that his ceiling is not the ceiling that Texas strives for. Charlie needed to go because he somehow found a lower floor than any of us thought possible at Texas. Charlie had a God-damn losing record here. At Texas. Herman has given us a bunch of mediocre football but good God at least we have almost 2 wins for every loss under him. 

Urban could come in and win 11 or 12 games next year with this roster and a decent recruiting class. Urban could not have come in and done that in 2017. Nor could he have come in and done that in 2014. 

The biggest issue right now - by far - is our coaching. In the last years of Mack and under Charlie a huge auxiliary issue was that our rosters were head-scratchingly terrible and our recruiting was a mess. That isn't the case anymore.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

The biggest issue right now - by far - is our coaching. In the last years of Mack and under Charlie a huge auxiliary issue was that our rosters were head-scratchingly terrible and our recruiting was a mess. That isn't the case anymore.

Isn't the case this year but give it a year and it will be.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

A lot of people ignore how bad Charlie's tenure was and act like Herman is more of the same. Herman needs to go because it's become apparent that his ceiling is not the ceiling that Texas strives for. Charlie needed to go because he somehow found a lower floor than any of us thought possible at Texas. Charlie had a God-damn losing record here. At Texas. Herman has given us a bunch of mediocre football but good God at least we have almost 2 wins for every loss under him. 

Urban could come in and win 11 or 12 games next year with this roster and a decent recruiting class. Urban could not have come in and done that in 2017. Nor could he have come in and done that in 2014. 

This times a million. 

1 minute ago, Not a cat said:

Isn't the case this year but give it a year and it will be.

Coaching change years almost always suck. We're damned if we do and damned if we don't on that front. At least in this day and age the portal can cover up a lot of that pretty quickly - esp. if we can get Urban. 

Our recruiting is going to take a big hit if we keep Herman. It's going to take a big hit if we hire someone new that hasn't been recruiting these kids, too.

I actually think the best possible scenario from a recruiting standpoint would be Tom winning out and either losing/winning the B12 title and then getting canned regardless. 

57 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

What kind of shitty life one must have to hate something but then hang out in a forum about the very thing said dipshit hates.  You’ve got UT faculty written all over you.  I would ask you if you like apples but that would be too easy.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

I am not sure what you are saying. Setting our sites on a Conference Title is exactly what we are doing. And you cannot control getting anything more.

If we start winning lots of conference titles feel free to come back and demand we not want anything more. Because I think that is what we want to see: conference titles. So you should be happy I guess.

Well the team is right in the middle of a conference title race and everyone wants to fire the coach. A day after a big road win over a top 10 team. Those aren't the actions of a fan base that knows it's place in the world and that they just aren't a program that is anywhere near competing for a national title. 

If you want to fire him for the Urban Meyer hail mary shot? Ok, I get it. But if all you focus on is being able to compete for national titles you'll constantly be disappointed since outside of a fluke 9 year window to start the century you aren't that level of program since the early 1970s. Be happy and excited for a potential conference title run now that you just knocked off the conference leader. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 20

2 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

Well the team is right in the middle of a conference title race and everyone wants to fire the coach. A day after a big road win over a top 10 team. Those aren't the actions of a fan base that knows it's place in the world and that they just aren't a program that is anywhere near competing for a national title. 

If you want to fire him for the Urban Meyer hail mary shot? Ok, I get it. But if all you focus on is being able to compete for national titles you'll constantly be disappointed since outside of a fluke 9 year window to start the century you aren't that level of program since the early 1970s. Be happy and excited for a potential conference title run now that you just knocked off the conference leader. 

you really are a pussy aint ya

2 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

I didn't. Came to this board as I found out in search for something else. I went to an Ivy league school so college football wasn't a big thing. I've tried to watch it over the years here and there since my friends are into it but it just really really sucks

I have followed Texas this year since I post here and what I've seen is an unbiased outside view and you just aren't anywhere on the same level as a top program and I only see one possible way to get there. You won't get there with the lack of talent you have now but 3-5 programs have a monopoly on all the top level talent. College football is like EPL. It's why I don't watch that much either 

Thots?

c734868309ca35fdd8dc1526afbf5246.gif
f55fcdbf10d78395f8f37eb0bc2746b6.gif
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

A decade is a fluke? Even by your standards that is dumb. By that logic you could say the same about Bama

3 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

I didn't. Came to this board as I found out in search for something else. I went to an Ivy league school so college football wasn't a big thing. I've tried to watch it over the years here and there since my friends are into it but it just really really sucks

I have followed Texas this year since I post here and what I've seen is an unbiased outside view and you just aren't anywhere on the same level as a top program and I only see one possible way to get there. You won't get there with the lack of talent you have now but 3-5 programs have a monopoly on all the top level talent. College football is like EPL. It's why I don't watch that much either 

Fight me!

• Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas