Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

3 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

It's not like people are excited to play or coach for the 49ers because of Joe Montana. But hat kind of stuff does happen in College Football.

So...We're Texas and all of these badass recruits are beating our door down because we had a transcendent QB 15 years ago?

What fucking planet do you live on?

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

A lot of people ignore how bad Charlie's tenure was and act like Herman is more of the same. Herman needs to go because it's become apparent that his ceiling is not the ceiling that Texas strives for. Charlie needed to go because he somehow found a lower floor than any of us thought possible at Texas. Charlie had a God-damn losing record here. At Texas. Herman has given us a bunch of mediocre football but good God at least we have almost 2 wins for every loss under him. 

Urban could come in and win 11 or 12 games next year with this roster and a decent recruiting class. Urban could not have come in and done that in 2017. Nor could he have come in and done that in 2014. 

The biggest issue right now - by far - is our coaching. In the last years of Mack and under Charlie a huge auxiliary issue was that our rosters were head-scratchingly terrible and our recruiting was a mess. That isn't the case anymore.

Not to argue about which of these losers was the worse coach, but I dare say if Charlie Strong could have plugged Sam in at QB his entire time on the 40 his record would have approximated Tom's...

11 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Not to argue about which of these losers was the worse coach, but I dare say if Charlie Strong could have plugged Sam in at QB his entire time on the 40 his record would have approximated Tom's...

I've already laid out plenty on this in this thread I think. Basically, I don't think Sam has moved the needle that much for Herman outside of a handful of games. Last night was another example. We won that game despite Sam not because of him. And Charlie's failure to build a QB room was his own fuck up that he had to deal with. 

Regardless, there's no way having Sam would have bailed out Charlie to keep him around more than 4 years. Charlie got blown out so many fucking times.

• Like 2

Sam has put some lipstick on our offensive gamelans under Herman, but I'm not sure VY himself would have made a difference with Shawn fucking Watson calling plays.

We really do allow ourselves to forget how tragically inept those teams were. It's really not close.
  • Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

So...We're Texas and all of these badass recruits are beating our door down because we had a transcendent QB 15 years ago?

What fucking planet do you live on?

The planet where Tom Herman comes here, goes 7-6, and gets the #3 recruiting class. That makes no sense outside of how college football works 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Sam has put some lipstick on our offensive gamelans under Herman, but I'm not sure VY himself would have made a difference with Shawn fucking Watson calling plays.

We really do allow ourselves to forget how tragically inept those teams were. It's really not close.

Herman is a prick.  He’s also worlds better than charlie

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

jerrod heard was the best qb to step foot on the 40 acres in over 10 years such a travesty his talent was wasted

Somebody is hitting the sauce on a sunday. His game against Cal was phenomenal, no doubt. Once DCs knew he couldn't throw it beyond 15 yards or in the middle of the field they started stacking the box or spying him it was game over.

If you had Velcro shoes she wouldn’t worry so much? 

I worked with a guy at a facility where we had to wear FR. Everyday in the locker room I would crack the fuck up when I heard his damn Velcro shoes. Sometimes when we were working nights, I would go get one of his shoes and put it by the mic for the radio and just hold the button down while making that Velcro noise. He would get so pissed at us for fucking with him about those shoes.
  • Like 1

Just now, EE2B said:

I worked with a guy at a facility where we had to wear FR. Everyday in the locker room I would crack the fuck up when I heard his damn Velcro shoes. Sometimes when we were working nights, I would go get one of his shoes and put it by the mic for the radio and just hold the button down while making that Velcro noise. He would get so pissed at us for fucking with him about those shoes.

The truth is they are better than laces damnit. Lmao. But that’s funny! As we all get older we need to consider them. Olds with untied laces can be a hazard. 

15 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

The truth is they are better than laces damnit. Lmao. But that’s funny! As we all get older we need to consider them. Olds with untied laces can be a hazard. 

What do you recommend for reading glasses retention?  They keep falling out of my pocket and getting stepped on.  

42 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Herman is a prick.  He’s also worlds better than charlie

Who cares if he’s a prick?   Fine by me.  Matter of fact it might be a prerequisite to beat the pussy entitlement out of these dudes.  Problem is that he’s learning on the job at Texas.   Might be a great coach in about 5 more years.   Just don’t want to wait for it.    

Hmm...I am pretty sure there is no way in hell Herman wins the Big 12 title that 1st year.  Johnny Mac was an ass but he knew offense and while he was scared to death of letting the defense outshine the offense...but he was still worlds better than Herman.  Herman is very similar to McWilliams...even flash in the pan short term head coaching experience. Strong is worse than both.

10 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

You vastly overrated Mackovic. Winning the SWC in ‘95 was akin to UH’s conference championships. And I can see him winning an occasional one here. Mackovic averaged 7-5 at Texas. Herman will a average better in largely better conferences. 

I think he was referring to the 1st Big12 championship in 96 when we beat Nebraska in the title game.  Not the shitty 95 last year of the SWC.

As such though Mackovic had 2 conference championships.

Edited by nunna yo bizness

14 minutes ago, nunna yo bizness said:

I think he was referring to the 1st Big12 championship in 96 when we beat Nebraska in the title game.  Not the shitty 95 last year of the SWC.

As such though Mackovic had 2 conference championships.

Yeah I was referring to 1st year in Big 12.  Conference better now?  Nebraska, Kansas St, Colorado, Texas, Texas A&M....  I personally think the best 10 teams in 1996 would steamroll the current conference. Mackovic would beat Herman 52 to 35.....

Plus Mackovic is in the argument for recruiting the best O line on history.  Not an open shut case but the argument is there.

Herman not so much...

Edited by TexasRenegade
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

I didn't. Came to this board as I found out in search for something else. I went to an Ivy league school so college football wasn't a big thing. I've tried to watch it over the years here and there since my friends are into it but it just really really sucks

I have followed Texas this year since I post here and what I've seen is an unbiased outside view and you just aren't anywhere on the same level as a top program and I only see one possible way to get there. You won't get there with the lack of talent you have now but 3-5 programs have a monopoly on all the top level talent. College football is like EPL. It's why I don't watch that much either 

Dude, despite what they sold you at fish camp, aggy is NOT an Ivy, neither public nor private.   Might be the 6th most impressive degree in the state.

there are only 32 five star players each year and they get spread out amongst a dozen programs, the top being heavy for sure, but it’s typically 3-5 of them going to the top 5 teams and the rest spread out.  Nothing has changed in that regard in the past 20 years.  The 3 states with the most D1 talent are Texas, Florida and California, pretty much in that order and number 4 isn’t even close.

2019 Bama has the #1 class with 3 five stars, 2 the year prior, 6 the year before that and 3 before that.  No one is getting 10 five stars every year.  UT composite 4 year recruiting class average puts us in the top 5. Two years ago USC was top 3 but their recruiting has since shit the bed because they have held onto a terrible coach.  That’s where we are headed for sure, because of coaching, not talent.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

Well the team is right in the middle of a conference title race and everyone wants to fire the coach. A day after a big road win over a top 10 team. Those aren't the actions of a fan base that knows it's place in the world and that they just aren't a program that is anywhere near competing for a national title. 

If you want to fire him for the Urban Meyer hail mary shot? Ok, I get it. But if all you focus on is being able to compete for national titles you'll constantly be disappointed since outside of a fluke 9 year window to start the century you aren't that level of program since the early 1970s. Be happy and excited for a potential conference title run now that you just knocked off the conference leader. 

I think you are taking things out of context and spinning it to suit your narrative. You are leaving out lots of other data points.

We know how these things go with Tom Herman and this team just like the Oklahoma State fans know it with theirs. They knew they were going to blow this game and we know we are going to blow this "potential conference title". I am not sure where you think "our place" is but we probably are at least Oklahoma State level eh? How many consecutive years of failing to win the conference title is acceptable for a program who needs to focus on winning the conference title? You seem like you want it both ways and are creating a narrative about national titles when nobody is talking about that. You say we should be happy with a conference title. Well we would be. Feel free to lecture us once we win one. 

Because "being in a potential conference title run" when we know that is most likely illusory and not going to happen and most of our top recruits bailed is no reason to be happy and excited. As for the "top 10 team" we got a big road win over well we were also supposedly a "top 10 team" this year at one point. I take these 2020 rankings with a grain of salt. So take that into consideration before you start spinning this story about how we are not happy with all these conference titles we are winning.

But will I bet happy and excited if we win the conference title? Sure, I would love it and so would 95% of our fans (some of us are just never happy). Potential ones for two loss teams are something else. I don't think any of us are clearing space in the trophy cabinet just yet.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Not a cat said:

Maybe this should go in the urban or bust thread, but the two non urban coaches I've seen mentioned as the most realistic choices (franklin and fleck) are 0-4 and have looked like dog shit in the process.   To put it in surly terms, it's 1:50 am, last call was just announced, we're drunk and horny, and there is exactly one hot chick in the bar.  

• Haha 2

inclusive of DKR this is the list and its really not arguable.  best to worst

DKR, Mack, Akers, Mackovic, McWilliams.....Strong

Herman is incomplete at this point but if he makes the Big 12 champ game he would be ahead of Mackovic.   the 94 title was tallest midget, 95 was legit, 96 was glorious because of crushing Neb dreams but in both cases he got fucking pantsed in the bowl.   I would say he's tied with Mackovic now because Mackovic went 5-5-1 and 4-7 in 2 of his 6 years.

He needs to be fired because he'll never even be Akers.  we need at least Akers level.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

I didn't. Came to this board as I found out in search for something else. I went to an Ivy league school so college football wasn't a big thing. I've tried to watch it over the years here and there since my friends are into it but it just really really sucks

I have followed Texas this year since I post here and what I've seen is an unbiased outside view and you just aren't anywhere on the same level as a top program and I only see one possible way to get there. You won't get there with the lack of talent you have now but 3-5 programs have a monopoly on all the top level talent. College football is like EPL. It's why I don't watch that much either 

No wonder you’re such a consistently shitty poster. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, hornfromdallas said:

jerrod heard was the best qb to step foot on the 40 acres in over 10 years such a travesty his talent was wasted

Something something about potentially sitting on a few million bucks but really living with a bunch of whores.

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas