Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

We have been played. Never any intention to fire this fraud. No activity or behind the scene talks. This whole, if he losses he is fired, is such a load of bull. The win saved CDC from getting any heat. He still doesn’t have to come out and addresss any of the issues.

Why in the hell did I ever believe CDC was the real deal. I thought he was going to come in like Blake from Glengarry Glen Ross, while Tom was whining about the “recruit leads” being shit, CDC was going to say, “Put that coffee down!”

We are seeing who really runs things,

Teflon Tom can’t be touched.

• Fuck You 13

2 minutes ago, TejasPedro said:

We have been played. Never any intention to fire this fraud. No activity or behind the scene talks. This whole, if he losses he is fired, is such a load of bull. The win saved CDC from getting any heat. He still doesn’t have to come out and addresss any of the issues.

Why in the hell did I ever believe CDC was the real deal. I thought he was going to come in like Blake from Glengarry Glen Ross, while Tom was whining about the “recruit leads” being shit, CDC was going to say, “Put that coffee down!”

You heard something?    What did I miss?

2 minutes ago, TejasPedro said:

sesame street k GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Nivek said:

Nah, he did fine at Houston as well.  The problem was coming to Texas with a hodgepodge team with zero continuity.   His problem is that he missed with players, missed with some coaches, made stupid mistakes as a HC (Yurich-Herman Hybrid offense).  It also looks like he is struggling to recognize the better gameday players ( Bijan vs Brewers use in the most recent game,  Sam is beat to shit and we are expecting him to play savior)  Stupid penalties (Delays).    Our portal pick-ups are not helping the team overall and that is on Herman.    

Let's agree to shit on Herman for the actual fuck-ups instead of making up stupid shit to whine about.   No one cares that he may be a prick.  Urban Meyer is a prick.   

He had one good season at UH, and one fairly meadoker.  Both with mostly Levine recruits.

And, I would wager that a stubborn, "impose our will" attitude is going to work better in the AAC than in the BIg XII, especially with a likely talent advantage.

And, I'm not whining about stupid shit.  

About the only interest I can generate in Texas Football for the last decade is why coaches fail.  I think Herman would have been better served by a dose of failure at a higher-profile program.  And, I think it's important for future hires that there be something in the resume indicating a resilience from failure, like building from a terrible record to a good one. instead of a bunch of two-year gigs here and there with no real track record of anything, except sustaining or slightly improving on success.

Point being, Herman has a pitifully thin resume, and the biggest highlight on it, OSU and a resulting Broyles Award, was fool's gold and actually operated to instill a tragic hubris in the man.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Did you just awake from a nightmare, or do you have some news to share?
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

He had one good season at UH, and one fairly meadoker.  Both with mostly Levine recruits.

And, I would wager that a stubborn, "impose our will" attitude is going to work better in the AAC than in the BIg XII, especially with a likely talent advantage.

About the only interest I can generate in Texas Football for the last decade is why coaches fail.  I think Herman would have been better served by a dose of failure at a higher-profile program.  And, I think it's important for future hires that there be something in the resume indicating a resilience from failure, instead of a bunch of two-year gigs here and there with no real track record of anything.

Point being, Herman has a pitiful resume, and the biggest highlight on it, OSU and a resulting Broyles Award, was fool's gold.

They were 9-4 that second year.  I wouldn't call that mediocre for Houston.  Especially with the wins over OU and Louisville.  To your point though I do think the shine was going to wear off even more post Greg Ward Jr. 

3 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Did you just awake from a nightmare, or do you have some news to share?

Just seems like a perfect scenario to leave him in place. Recruiting is fubar. Show me a scenario where recruiting turns around with the stats quo. A headline I read over the weekend, was Tom silences his critics! That is the nightmare 

Just seems like a perfect scenario to leave him in place. Recruiting is fubar. Show me a scenario where recruiting turns around with the stats quo. A headline I read over the weekend, was Tom silences his critics! That is the nightmare 

Yah, recruiting is fubar, which is one big reason it isn’t a perfect scenario to leave him
In place. A scenario where that turns around? Firing Herm->Hiring Urb. Again, not a reason to keep him in place.
That win didn’t get everyone off of Tom’s ass. Let’s relax.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TejasPedro said:

GOD DAMMIT CDC. WHY DIDN'T YOU FIRE TOM HERMAN AFTER BEATING A TOP 25 OPPONENT!!!!!!!

I'm only saying this because I care - there are a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market today that are just as tasty as the real thing.

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Yah, recruiting is fubar, which is one big reason it isn’t a perfect scenario to leave him
In place. A scenario where that turns around? Firing Herm->Hiring Urb. Again, not a reason to keep him in place.
That win didn’t get everyone off of Tom’s ass. Let’s relax.

This.  Hiring Urban today isn't going to save 2021 recruiting.  That class is gone.  But a December hire of Urban is plenty of time to haul in a big 2022 class.  With the talent on campus and the opportunities available via the transfer portal - Urban would have no problem putting together a roster even if his hire isn't official until December.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TejasPedro said:

What are you talking about?  We beat the #6 team on the road.  You're not gonna fire him right after that.  I can say with confidence that we either win conference or Herm is gone.  What is wrong with you for real?  Teflon Tom?  Compared to the amount of space we gave Charlie?

Unrelated note:

123212225_3975730115789468_5265897546162524640_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=2&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=vFfkJRssXJ4AX9n3m3d&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=40a69a599cf3e46c56e633a1d59cad5a&oe=5FC61C22

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Charlie Strong : Teddy Bridgewater | Tom Herman : Greg Ward JR 

So, again, I'm on the fire Tom bandwagon.  But Teddy B is a bona fide starting qb in the NFL.  He was great. Yet Charlie still only had one marquee win.  Greg Ward is pretty much a scrub receiver in the NFL.  Nothing about Greg's skills says he's a good qb, so you're actually making the case for keeping Tom.  He had a decent run at Houston with a wr playing qb.  Think about that.

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

So, again, I'm on the fire Tom bandwagon.  But Teddy B is a bona fide starting qb in the NFL.  He was great. Yet Charlie still only had one marquee win.  Greg Ward is pretty much a scrub receiver in the NFL.  Nothing about Greg's skills says he's a good qb, so you're actually making the case for keeping Tom.  He had a decent run at Houston with a wr playing qb.  Think about that.

Greg Ward was a pretty good college QB that bailed Houston out of some tricky spots with his athleticism. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

About the only interest I can generate in Texas Football for the last decade is why coaches fail.  I think Herman would have been better served by a dose of failure at a higher-profile program.  And, I think it's important for future hires that there be something in the resume indicating a resilience from failure, like building from a terrible record to a good one. instead of a bunch of two-year gigs here and there with no real track record of anything, except sustaining or slightly improving on success.

Point being, Herman has a pitifully thin resume, and the biggest highlight on it, OSU and a resulting Broyles Award, was fool's gold and actually operated to instill a tragic hubris in the man.

Mack did fine imposing his will upon the sisters of the poor, something every other coach has failed to do.   I recall 10 wins as being a minimum expectation because hell anyone could do that at Texas (paraphrasing).   

My whining comment was about him being an arrogant, hubristic,  prick.  No one should fucking care about that shit.  That is like complaining about the hospital wall paper  pattern while one are on a ventilator.    

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

What does this mean though?

No idea.

7 minutes ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Not a damn thing.   Just people reading what they want into a random piece of data.

I didn't read shit into. 

6 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

Dude i want to believe. Don't destroy the dream. 

Me too, but who knows...

8 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

TFB-Super K

This past weekend, I had a chance to chat with a couple of additional sources on the matter of Texas and Urban Meyer. These conversations did take place before the OSU game.

***Received more confirmation that there has been some time of back channel communication with Meyer.

***Received additional confirmation that Meyer’s number is in the 10 million dollar range.

***Was also told that while not necessary specific to Texas, Meyer has been reaching out to some former assistants to gauge their interest in joining him if he did take another job.

***One source told me that  Kerry Coombs, known for his DB development, would not likely join Urban. I personally think that’s a pretty big blow.

***I asked the source how likely it would be that Urban would take the Texas job, if offered. Was told, “I know he’s considering it but don’t think it’s a slam dunk. Money talks though, of course”.

***Did get the sense that a lot of the old guys Urban coached with were not likely to join him.

***On the Herman front, I do believe that one more loss would be difficult to come back from. The question is, what would he need to  accomplish to ensure his safety. Is it getting to the Big 12 championship? Or must he win it? I don’t know the answer to that question yet.

***My suspicion though is that it has a lot to do with whether Urban is really on the table – and I believe he is.

***I am told there was some back channel talks with Mario Cristobal and PJ Fleck’s people. But neither of those names or resumes are, in my opinion, enough to trigger a move if Herman closes the season out well. I don’t personally want either hire, regardless.

***But with a name like Urban Meyer sitting out there, it’s different. The immediate impact he’d have on recruiting would be unreal.

To be fair, Coombs is an Ohio native, so it'd be a lateral move away from his home state for likely minimally more cash to help rebuild a team. 

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas