Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

On 11/4/2020 at 10:07 PM, hornfromdallas said:

im going to stick my 12 inch glizzy in the mouth of the next person who brings up politics in this thread 

I've got a riddle. The more you wash it, the dirtier it gets.

I'll give a hint: Stoops might have one or many.

• Haha 1

I want him gone.  I've wanted him gone for years.  In fact, I never wanted him here.  But I think we beat WVU and then win at Kansas.  When we lose to Iowa State inevitably, I don't see the point in then firing him and bringing on an interim coach with 1 game left on the schedule.  Seems weird.  

However,  the Mouse just granted us rights to the Iowa State game for LHN broadcast, so maybe far fewer people will see our implosion leading to the Herman firing.  Curious move when ESPN was probably more than happy to carry the game.  I dunno.  

I'm starting to think Herman may be slightly overpaid. 

6 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

No chance

If there's one thing I've learned this year, outside that apparently I need a giant screen-sized, un-updated electoral map to greet me every time I want to come talk about firing Tom Herman, is that there's a chance for absolutely ANYTHING when talking about this team and its coach.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

They should have fired him after ou.  If he goes on to win against wvu, Ku, KSU, and isu.... it becomes complicated.  Herman has shown he can beat all of those teams.  It would not surprise me if we did.  This is why I was furious when he didn’t fire him when everyone was on board after ou. 

I watched bits of the Baylor game.  Even less Of the osu game.  I have zero plans to watch the wvu game.  I don’t think I looked at a single thread this week on surly.  I truly don’t give a shit at this point.  Why take out time from my Saturdays to watch a shit product when our ceiling is the gawd damn Alamo bowl.  This athletic department only makes decisions when it hurts their pockets.  We have incompetent leaders that do not care about winning and only care about their pockets.  

Lastly, recruiting is the worst it’s been since i started following it in 2004.  This program has no pulse.  There is nothing to sell and nothing to combat the negative recurring from other schools.  There are 4 years of below average results to point to and good players want nothing to do with this program.  That type of negative cloud is hard to overcome when your neighboring programs are competing for championships and putting players on the NFL.

Edited by victory88
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, UncleBuck said:

If there's one thing I've learned this year, outside that apparently I need a giant screen-sized, un-updated electoral map to greet me every time I want to come talk about firing Tom Herman, is that there's a chance for absolutely ANYTHING when talking about this team and its coach.

Like coke on a hooker's ass, you never know which way it's going to blow.

• Haha 1

We aren't firing a coach midseason without his replacement being lined up, at least with a solid verbal agreement.  I honestly think that's all that saved him after ou.  Assuming we have urban lined up now, next loss is the time.  Again, no actual inside info, save your 9.95.
Bingo. We weren't ready to do it without the replacement ready to go.
As someone said earlier, you lose all of your leverage in a negotiation if you fire the guy first.

3 hours ago, vtaenz said:

Bingo. We weren't ready to do it without the replacement ready to go.
As someone said earlier, you lose all of your leverage in a negotiation if you fire the guy first.

The fuck you do. A lot of coaches won't even enter into negotiations while another coach holds the job out of proffessional courtesy. And if you're after Urban, he holds all the leverage anyway. What are going to do, threaten him tomorrow that you just might keep Tom?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

A lot of coaches don't despise the guy they're replacing.

Tom's a prick and Urban has good reason to dislike him. I don't know what Urban's feelings are, he's never said anything publicly, which we wouldn't expect him to do. "Despise" is a strong word. That's your word, not Urban's. 

But let's say Urban does "despise" Tom Herman. Are you suggesting that Urban is so desperate to take the Texas job just to spite Tom Herman that Texas can lowball him by threatening to keep Tom? Urban will actually settle for less money just to ensure Herman's firing?

7 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Tom's a prick and Urban has good reason to dislike him. I don't know what Urban's feelings are, he's never said anything publicly, which we wouldn't expect him to do. "Despise" is a strong word. That's your word, not Urban's. 

But let's say Urban does "despise" Tom Herman. Are you suggesting that Urban is so desperate to take the Texas job just to spite Tom Herman that Texas can lowball him by threatening to keep Tom? Urban will actually settle for less money just to ensure Herman's firing?

I don’t think anyone here is equating “leverage” and “lowballing”. We’re the by God university of Texas, ain’t you heard all the money that ain’t under the Vatican is located in Austin?

10 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Dear God, for someone who doesn't care, you sure argue like it's the cloak room.

You said  "A lot of coaches won't even enter into negotiations while another coach holds the job out of proffessional courtesy".

I said "A lot of coaches don't despise the guy they're replacing".

i even used the exact same phrasing as a tell that I'm responding to any claim that Urban won't talk to us while Herman is officially coaching.

Now go back to your constant posting on a thread you give zero shits about 

• Like 2

If UM is indeed the guy we are going after, and he is interested, I believe both sides would recognize the unique opportunity the other side represents. There is likely a fairly wide band between the minimum number the coach would see as acceptable and the maximum number The University would be willing to pay. There would likely be items of importance to the coach and various clauses that would take more time than the dollar number. IF this is something both sides are interested in I would be very surprised if there was much (if any) "hardball" negotiation. 

43 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

Dear God, for someone who doesn't care, you sure argue like it's the cloak room.

You said  "A lot of coaches won't even enter into negotiations while another coach holds the job out of proffessional courtesy".

I said "A lot of coaches don't despise the guy they're replacing".

i even used the exact same phrasing as a tell that I'm responding to any claim that Urban won't talk to us while Herman is officially coaching.

Now go back to your constant posting on a thread you give zero shits about 

You didn't answer my question. 

43 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You didn't answer my question. 

I pretty clearly did.  I addressed your assertion that urban would be unwilling to negotiate via back channels due to the fact herman is still officially the coach. That's it. I really don't know how to spell this out for you any better.  

Just now, orangecat92 said:

Just had a wild thought.  Scenario....Sam is obviously hurt.  CDc asks herm if Sam is hurt, herm says no.  Cdc gets Sam to dr. And proves Sam is hurt.  Can herm be fired for cause...no pay because he harmed player?  

Go on, I like where this is headed, I’m listening 

2 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

Just had a wild thought.  Scenario....Sam is obviously hurt.  CDc asks herm if Sam is hurt, herm says no.  Cdc gets Sam to dr. And proves Sam is hurt.  Can herm be fired for cause...no pay because he harmed player?  

I don't think this would be a good path toward hiring future coaches. Kinda like Tech using sovereign immunity to screw Leach. Better in the long run to not go there.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

This fucker needs to be fired because he gave Bijan 3 carries in the last 5 drives....seriously wtf

This.  The personell decisions are maddening.  Plus scheme, clock management and 4th down.  But above all, the personell.

Edited by Not a cat

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas