Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

40 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Some dude from 24/7.  Not sure if real I just want it to be so yes

Update 11/28- last one and i will be MIA until more definite news. I would expect Texas to let Herman go on 12/2. Texas has not spoken to Urban. But people that matter have. The wants and needs are known. Still should take about 8/9 days to hammer out the Urban contract. I will say this with out going into details. He wants the job. We know this. Wife is on board, daughter is older and no longer a issue. As long as CDC dosent botch this it should be a glorious few weeks.

A name that was thrown around as a alternate was the Auburn coach. If he were to be let go, I think he would now be option B. Along with Dan Mullen.

Original Post - First one was around 730 this am. CDC day is going to be a long one. Money is not a hurdle 

Most want urban

Gus Malzhan is Tom Fucking Herman. Look at his history - uber OC who takes over a big program and starts to have offensive issues. Fires long time assistants and hires other friends in their place.  He’s averaged more than 4 losses a season at Auburn and 2012 was a long fucking time ago. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

CDC did an interview with Chip Brown over the summer.  Brown asked him what he looks for when he hires corches, and CDC said his single biggest requirement is that the person has built and maintained a program twice.  He said he didn't want a corch who had a few successful years at one place and that's it.  I thought that was a really interesting answer because (a) that definitely didn't describe Herman and (b) maybe means he won't be enthralled with a guy like Billy Napier.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Gus Malzhan is Tom Fucking Herman. Look at his history - uber OC who takes over a big program and starts to have offensive issues. Fires long time assistants and hires other friends in their place.  He’s averaged more than 4 losses a season at Auburn and 2012 was a long fucking time ago. 

Gus would have been a better choice 4 years ago over Herman and hard pass now

• Hook 'Em 1

Four for four? Let some of those coaches win a title before you say he’s hit grand slams. Let’s also wait for him to hire a football coach because ultimately that’s all that matters. No disrespect to women’s sports but yea I can care less.

If you can care less maybe you should. But what the hell I couldn’t care less if you did.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

You can’t lame duck a coach through the end of the season. The decision has been made, everyone knows the decision has been made, and you need to fire his ass. Let the team and recruits know right now that there is going to be a change. 

Giving Tom 4 weeks to clean out his office doesn’t do anyone any good. 

Agree.  We have a former HC on staff who can be interim.  If discussions with UM are as far along as they seem to be, no reason to keep a lame duck out there with ESD looming.  

19 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I understand the sentiment completely. 
I am not knocking Fancy boots. Not my thing.  But boots were made for walking...

the thing is, a lot of people (if they are being honest) do not want a HC like Urban bc they will lose their access to the program. This isn’t mostly about some “moral” high ground. Yes, they want their access. We have been running our program like a banana republic for far too long. 

a lot of people my mom’s age etc...miss Mack the most because of access. Because of the dinners and the luncheons where they’d get a chance to go and see the HC or the players. They’d bitch about the games and bitch about Mack and Greg Davis and losing to OU but they had their “access” so to speak so it was all good. 

we bring in Urban or something damn similar and that will change. And that more than any “moral” stand they have about him is what matters. And that’s hypocrisy at its zenith. “I only care that I have my access, as piddly as it is, fuck what happens on the field and to the program as a whole.” 

I think that’s the gist of it. At least for FancyBoots. Not hard to imagine her having some relationship with Michelle Herman. That would explain her claiming CUM is a rape apologist. (I guess by shielding Zach Smith, who abused his wife? Idk)  We all know that’s a soft spot for the Hermans. 

• Hook 'Em 1

In most instances, I can see the argument for waiting until the end of the season to make a change.  BUT, this isn't one of those instances. Tom and his staff have done so much damage with recruiting, we need to fire and hire ASAP!  Urban needs to get on the phone and see if he change some minds and resurrect the 2021 and 2022 classes. There is 0 reason to wait. we don't owe Tom that, we don't owe him anything

You’re on fire with accurate statements this morning. Please do share your brand of Jo, I could use a faster wake me upper.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

You can’t lame duck a coach through the end of the season. The decision has been made, everyone knows the decision has been made, and you need to fire his ass. Let the team and recruits know right now that there is going to be a change. 

Preach about n brother hip hop

52 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

Well here is where we learn whether or not CDC is the real deal or not.  

Fucking this. We’ll never win the conference, much less the MNC with the current coach. Meyer is one of the most successful coaches of the modern era and working as a commentator on TV. Don’t fuck this up.

11 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

This! No good will come from Herman hanging around the rest of the season. He has the conversation with CDC and is gone within the hour. We post the position for 10 days and then hire the new guy.

IIRC...when Ohio state hired Urban, he started before the season was over.  He was in place, recruiting and compiling his staff, unilaterally while the old staff finished the season.  Not really that different of a scenario here.  Fire Herman, name an interim, bring Urban in to get started right away

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I think that’s the gist of it. At least for FancyBoots. Not hard to imagine her having some relationship with Michelle Herman. That would explain her claiming CUM is a rape apologist. (I guess by shielding Zach Smith, who abused his wife? Idk)  We all know that’s a soft spot for the Hermans. 

She's friends with some BMDs.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Keef said:

CDC did an interview with Chip Brown over the summer.  Brown asked him what he looks for when he hires corches, and CDC said his single biggest requirement is that the person has built and maintained a program twice.  He said he didn't want a corch who had a few successful years at one place and that's it.  I thought that was a really interesting answer because (a) that definitely didn't describe Herman and (b) maybe means he won't be enthralled with a guy like Billy Napier.

Putting UM aside for a moment - the list of coaches who have ‘built’ two programs (with success) is pretty short.  I’m not sure that in football that is an option. 

It immediately eliminates two of the more popular coaching choices this year in Fickell and Napier - both are in their first ‘program build’. 

Cristobal was awful at FIU and just shit himself on national TV

Franklin would have qualified last year after turning around Vanderbilt and having success at Penn St before the train wreck that is 2020. 

Fleck has been only slightly more successful this year than Franklin. 

Harsin only had one year at Arkansas St before he left to take over the Boise St program. At this point Harsin would be my Plan B if the Meyer hire falls through. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Nivek said:

What team does he coach and what salary did he pull? How many times did he beat his wife? That fucker has nothing. Except a restraining order.

Exactly. That guy lost EVERYTHING. Herman is going to walk away having made $30M+ for four years of work.

27 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Putting UM aside for a moment - the list of coaches who have ‘built’ two programs (with success) is pretty short.  I’m not sure that in football that is an option. 

It immediately eliminates two of the more popular coaching choices this year in Fickell and Napier - both are in their first ‘program build’. 

Cristobal was awful at FIU and just shit himself on national TV

Franklin would have qualified last year after turning around Vanderbilt and having success at Penn St before the train wreck that is 2020. 

Fleck has been only slightly more successful this year than Franklin. 

Harsin only had one year at Arkansas St before he left to take over the Boise St program. At this point Harsin would be my Plan B if the Meyer hire falls through. 

This is true.  There are very few active coaches who fit this bill.  Saban.  Mack.  Kelly.  Saying you built and maintained a successful program is a high bar.  Let alone twice.  

Urban Meyer saying it was a shame that Sam’s last play in the stadium was a sack. Also mentioned Breece Hall’s comment about five star culture vs five star players. Talked about a winning mentality and that a team that believes (wont be beat) can’t be beat. Thinks Iowa State can win Big 12. Hmmmm...hard to bet against Iowa State right now, Urban said. The team that thinks they won’t be beat can’t be beat. It was the same mentality he said they had at Utah his second year. Thinks they could have beat USC. Leinart and Reggie Bush just laughed and Urban said, “hey let’s bring everybody back and see!” Lol

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Urban Meyer saying it was a shame that Sam’s last play in the stadium was a sack. Also mentioned Breece Hall’s comment about five star culture vs five star players. Talked about a winning mentality and that a team that believes (can’t be beat) won’t be beat. Thinks Iowa State can win Big 12. Hmmmm...hard to bet against Iowa State right now, Urban said. The team that thinks they can’t be beat won’t be beat. 

Sooooo he wants to convince Sam to return for a final season under CUM 😁 to not go out like that. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Burton

C8C87BAE-19EA-4241-BA39-5274951812ED.thumb.png.25c1663608bcd04fdcb23bdca849e34d.png
DA2B17CF-95EB-4B0A-ADFB-869578668518.thumb.png.f41b1377ffd87db8f404c38090cdaa39.png
D78DE679-DC3D-4C38-BFA6-2B2DEFF4A71E.thumb.png.a1a8260230d01491a2728629a7d37b08.png

This post gives me hope because we all know Burton has Texas side sources. I don’t have visibility of the Texas brass on this. I would think that if Meyer has really re-considered coaching again, Texas would know by now and would be moving on to other candidates. Given they haven’t (per Burton), that would imply they are just down to final money details and Meyer is using continued retirement as a negotiating tactic. Hope so. As I’ve said for weeks, I thought he was ready to come until this recent wrinkle.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Was thinking this morning. If Urban CUMs, I would love to be a fly on the wall of his meeting with Sam.

If Urban is coming here then I would imagine if he wants to keep Sam (Sam is a competitor) all he has to say is, “Son do you want your last play at home to be a sack that sets up a missed field goal?” 

Urban’s comments were great this morning on our game. Impressed he quoted the five star culture remark. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Duane Moore said:

Agree.  We have a former HC on staff who can be interim.  If discussions with UM are as far along as they seem to be, no reason to keep a lame duck out there with ESD looming.  

The ESD is the biggest issue.

Have to pull the trigger and announce the new coach. 

With Urban you might be able to hold onto the guys who decomitted.

16 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

This post gives me hope because we all know Burton has Texas side sources. I don’t have visibility of the Texas brass on this. I would think that if Meyer has really re-considered coaching again, Texas would know by now and would be moving on to other candidates. Given they haven’t (per Burton), that would imply they are just down to final money details and Meyer is using continued retirement as a negotiating tactic. Hope so. As I’ve said for weeks, I thought he was ready to come until this recent wrinkle.

Ditto.  I think bb has high internal sources.  

I appreciate your insight, Db.

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas