Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

1 hour ago, Keef said:

CDC did an interview with Chip Brown over the summer.  Brown asked him what he looks for when he hires corches, and CDC said his single biggest requirement is that the person has built and maintained a program twice.  He said he didn't want a corch who had a few successful years at one place and that's it.  I thought that was a really interesting answer because (a) that definitely didn't describe Herman and (b) maybe means he won't be enthralled with a guy like Billy Napier.

that is exactly what I have been saying since before we hired Charlie. you can't be looking at a one hit wonder and we hired 2 in a row and to make matters worse it was G5 level.  Its like the guys in the networking boom era.  started companies, sold them to Cisco or someone.  90% of them thought they could do it again, started companies and got completely crushed. 10% did do it again but most of them caught lightning in a bottle the first time.  It wasn't that they were anything really special.

we thought we'd found our Stoops with Herman and Sugar Bowl win masked Maryland 2 and everything else.   year 3 showed us full on that it was a mistake.  

Mullen and Franklin have those resumes at the P5 level.  not sure who else does.  If Urban says no I think Mullen would be good.  what he did for a long stretch at MSU is pretty impressive.  they were dogshit for 40 years sans about 3 years of Sherrill in the 90's(of which I am sure fedex was involved).

the softball/basketball coaches don't have the built and maintained 2 programs but their resumes at their one school overrode that.

37 minutes ago, Keef said:

CDC said his single biggest requirement is that the person has built and maintained a program twice.

homework for the gallery.  assume CDC means has built/maintained a p5 program twice.  definition of maintained?

other than cum, how many other coaches in P5 or the league fit that bill?

names to strike from the list..

p5 current cfp rankings:

brian kelly

dabo swinney

ryan day

luke fickell

pat fitzgerald (who I think would win here)

kirby smart

manny diaz

lincoln riley

tom allen

matt campbell

mario cristobal

paul chryst (was 38-38 at pitt before wiscy...  built? no.  maintained, yes.)

clay helton

gus malzahn

mike gundy

kirk ferentz

the only other names that meet cdc's requirement .......  if you count their current ranking as "built and maintained".....

1 nick rona sabin, lsu and bama were both sucking before he got there; too old, ship sailed in '14

5 jimbo baggins boomhauer fisher; was handed bowden's program even though it was down, + winston, so verdict tbd, but fetch.  also, aggy.

6 dan klanaggygator mullen; gator base not sold yet, so verdict tbd but as of today no, he hasn't done it twice. yet.  but does not fit cdc "twice" criteria for therm's replacement in the next month

and

19 mack tar brown heel

james franklin is having his worst season as corch.  but if you give him a rona mulligan on faith, he reanimated an all-dead vandy and resuscitated a partially-dead pedder.

but do you really hire someone after they finish the then-current season with 1 or 2 wins?  like mullen, verdict is out, but can't self-identify in the current decision cycle.

there can be only 1

only 1 name:

meet's cdc's criteria;

is viable;

and

is hireable *TODAY* and not a year from now if they (franklin/mullen) self-identify in the '21 season

otherwise, cdc has constrained the candidate pool to a single name

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Spoiler

I basically had the list at 5. with Urban being the most viable.

Meyer (Utah, UF, tOSU to an extent)

B. Kelly (Cincinnati, ND) 

Satan (LSU, Bama)

FUPM (UNC x2, UT)

Petersen (BSU, UW)

One could argue Leach, Mullen, and Franklin (before this season).

Edited by Atticus

4 minutes ago, Atticus said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I basically had the list at 5. with Urban being the most viable.

Meyer (Utah, UF, tOSU to an extent)

B. Kelly (Cincinnati, ND) 

Satan (LSU, Bama)

FUPM (UNC x2, UT)

Petersen (BSU, UW)

One could argue Leach, Mullen, and Franklin (before this season).

a long run at a P5 with skins or many top 10 skins can suffice.  Dabo is on the list as is Stoops.  that said they aint comin.  I don't think Stoops wants to prove anything and Dabo is life or Bama as long as he keeps the DC.

one G5 and one P5 could work but you'd need multiple high years at the P5(this would eliminate the PJ Fleck's of the world).  no "row the boat" and no "H town takeover" bullshit.

54 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

homework for the gallery.  assume CDC means has built/maintained a p5 program twice.  definition of maintained?

other than cum, how many other coaches in P5 or the league fit that bill?

names to strike from the list..

p5 current cfp rankings:

brian kelly

dabo swinney

ryan day

luke fickell

pat fitzgerald (who I think would win here)

kirby smart

manny diaz

lincoln riley

tom allen

matt campbell

mario cristobal

paul chryst (was 38-38 at pitt before wiscy...  built? no.  maintained, yes.)

clay helton

gus malzahn

mike gundy

kirk ferentz

the only other names that meet cdc's requirement .......  if you count their current ranking as "built and maintained".....

1 nick rona sabin, lsu and bama were both sucking before he got there; too old, ship sailed in '14

5 jimbo baggins boomhauer fisher; was handed bowden's program even though it was down, + winston, so verdict tbd, but fetch.  also, aggy.

6 dan klanaggygator mullen; gator base not sold yet, so verdict tbd but as of today no, he hasn't done it twice. yet.  but does not fit cdc "twice" criteria for therm's replacement in the next month

and

19 mack tar brown heel

james franklin is having his worst season as corch.  but if you give him a rona mulligan on faith, he reanimated an all-dead vandy and resuscitated a partially-dead pedder.

but do you really hire someone after they finish the then-current season with 1 or 2 wins?  like mullen, verdict is out, but can't self-identify in the current decision cycle.

there can be only 1

only 1 name:

meet's cdc's criteria;

is viable;

and

is hireable *TODAY* and not a year from now if they (franklin/mullen) self-identify in the '21 season

otherwise, cdc has constrained the candidate pool to a single name

I don't know why you would assume the criteria means a P5 program twice.  Once, sure.  Imagine Chris Klieman going from NDSt to KSU and winning a couple of Big XII titles and making the Playoff.  I think a resume like that is exactly what he's looking for.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I don't know why you would assume the criteria means a P5 program twice.  Once, sure.  Imagine Chris Klieman going from NDSt to KSU and winning a couple of Big XII titles and making the Playoff.  I think a resume like that is exactly what he's looking for.

I’m out on klieman.  Peterson meets that criteria though

2 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

homework for the gallery:  brian kelly, dabo swinney, ryan day, luke fickell, pat fitzgerald,  kirby smart, manny diaz, lincoln riley, tom allen, matt campbell, mario cristobal, paul chryst, clay helton, gus malzahn, mike gundy, kirk ferentz,  nick rona sabin, jimbo baggins fisher; dan klanaggygator mullen; mack tar brown heel, james franklin 

Chris Petersen ???

PJ Fleck???    (Btw, Not a fan of PJ )

2 minutes ago, CUM2TX said:

I think Petersen will be back in 5 years or so. maybe we will get him after our next coach flops.

I think Petersen is done unless he wants to go back to Boise if Harsin leaves.  a year ago he said the stress was too much(at Washington).  I don't think he wants a big time gig again.

He'd be way better than Herman but he's a northwest guy.  not sure how that would translate for us in recruiting.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

Was thinking this morning. If Urban CUMs, I would love to be a fly on the wall of his meeting with Sam.

Thanks Sam for all you have done. If there is anything I can do for you in the NFL/Arena/XFL/AFL, let me know. 

Time for Sam to move on. Better for him and Texas Football.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/id/XSR335-1606532360-5-0-46

What time did Urban finish his Fox duties today? 

He was on at halftime of Tech-OSU, which would have probably made a 1:04pm CST time departure from fucking LAX unlikely.  That said flights from LAX to Austin are likely a dime a dozen.  

11 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

He was on at halftime of Tech-OSU, which would have probably made a 1:04pm CST time departure from fucking LAX unlikely.  That said flights from LAX to Austin are likely a dime a dozen.  

Probably just his agent coming early to start working on contract details, or his wife to start home shopping.

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas