Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

4 hours ago, immamac said:

Was coming to post this, but this is not good news for Sam who will likely be cut or practice squaded. 

I always got the feeling Reich thought Sam had potential, but this move doesn't exude confidence in Sam's abilities to step in this year. With Ryan being 37 and Foles being 33 and fairly shitty of late, maybe they keep Sam on the roster if they feel good about his future and don't want to expose him to practice squad poaching. 

• 2 months later...
Sam's having a nice preseason game so far.
Anyone think he might do enough over the next few weeks to be the #2 this year?

image.thumb.png.531927a4214011916bb575931be6355a.pnge

Foles signed a 2 year contract that is something like 75% guaranteed and they would have dead cap if they were to release him. There is a place for Sam to be a backup but it is probably not in Indy.

5 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:
16 hours ago, ATXbronco said:
Sam's having a nice preseason game so far.
Anyone think he might do enough over the next few weeks to be the #2 this year?

image.thumb.png.531927a4214011916bb575931be6355a.pnge

Foles signed a 2 year contract that is something like 75% guaranteed and they would have dead cap if they were to release him. There is a place for Sam to be a backup but it is probably not in Indy.

You think they give a shit if the 2nd string QB costs less than 1M per year? That's worth a roster spot. 

random thoughts about Sam's situation:

- is Sam better than Cooper Rush?

- if Indy puts him in the practice squad, will that slash his salary? 

- is Sam better than any Texans QB?

- he needs to gtfo of Indy - they gave big money to Foles and the washed up Matt Ryan.  He needs to go where he's appreciated and not waste precious time with the Dolts. 

9 hours ago, Shaggyhorn said:

Sam put in his time. He had a chance to play NFL ball and is doing so. I’m not sure what Sark could have said to make him stay…

Sark: "I promise you won't get concussed from me running you into the line over and over."

Sam: "There was one?"

• Haha 2

The Colts are only going to keep two quarterbacks on the active roster, but Ehlinger showed a lot of improvement to his game and continued to make his case as the QB3

I guess that's pretty typical(?) but didn't the Colts have three active last year?

Edited by ATXbronco

10 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

- is Sam better than Cooper Rush?

- if Indy puts him in the practice squad, will that slash his salary? 

- is Sam better than any Texans QB?

- he needs to gtfo of Indy - they gave big money to Foles and the washed up Matt Ryan.  He needs to go where he's appreciated and not waste precious time with the Dolts. 

Cooper Rush is ass my man. 

14 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

- is Sam better than Cooper Rush? YES

- if Indy puts him in the practice squad, will that slash his salary? NO, he makes whatever his contract says as long as he’s still with them or picked up off the practice squad by another team  

- is Sam better than any Texans QB? He could easily be QB2 in Houston, and it would be a strategic move to pull him off a division rival’s practice squad. But this is the Texans, who aren’t trying to win yet and are historically dumb (TBD on Nick Caserio).

- he needs to gtfo of Indy - they gave big money to Foles and the washed up Matt Ryan.  He needs to go where he's appreciated and not waste precious time with the Dolts. $4 million guaranteed over the next 2 years is a lot of dead cap, but it’s a sunk cost at this point and Sam makes very little. Since Indy is paying it either way, they are better off just keeping whoever gives them the best chance to win.

16 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Sam's going to need to go home and start packing... can't see him being in Indy much longer... Indy's got to trade him or he'll get poached.

I think this will likely happen. They can keep 3 QBs but there are quite a few teams that need a QB2 looking at the rosters. The Rams probably have the biggest need because lots of reports coming out about Stafford with some sort of arm/elbow issue that hasn’t been getting any better. This made me smile:

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Sam's going to need to go home and start packing... can't see him being in Indy much longer... Indy's got to trade him or he'll get poached.

Yep. I don’t think you can hide him on a practice squad at this point. He’s either QB2 or traded unless they want to carry 3 QB on the active roster. If I’m Indy he is QB2 no question and I’m grooming him behind Ryan for a year or two with a shot at becoming QB1. Worst case you have a quality backup, which can’t be underestimated, ahem Dallas.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

I’m currently researching whether there’s a loophole whereby Sam can come back to Texas this season to use his final year of eligibility. Please stand by.

This board was in epic meltdown for 2 weeks about who would win QB1. I'm not ready to go through that again. 

Yep. I don’t think you can hide him on a practice squad at this point. He’s either QB2 or traded unless they want to carry 3 QB on the active roster. If I’m Indy he is QB2 no question and I’m grooming him behind Ryan for a year or two with a shot at becoming QB1. Worst case you have a quality backup, which can’t be underestimated, ahem Dallas.
As I understand it, you can protect 4 players a week with no max on an individual from you practice squad now. So if he gets on, he probably stays on. Still will go through waivers if he doesn't make the 53 man roster.

2 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:
50 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

As I understand it, you can protect 4 players a week with no max on an individual from you practice squad now. So if he gets on, he probably stays on. Still will go through waivers if he doesn't make the 53 man roster.

I think other teams can poach protected practice squad players as long as they are signing them to their active roster.  ie. as a QB2

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut