Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

On 9/8/2019 at 11:00 AM, satyanash said:

When you have receivers like Johnson and Eagles, deep shots into 1-on-1 coverage are exactly what you should take. Ehlinger's placement on the jump balls wasn't good at all. At the very least, not as good as Burrow's. Burrow averaged 12.1 YPA last night, Ehlinger averaged just 8.5. That speaks volumes.

Also Ehlinger's a junior now. The "oh he's just not good at deep throws" excuse isn't going to fly. Defenses will cotton on and start denying the shorter throws. Ehlinger has to be able to make plays in all parts of the field.

I really hope defenses start “catching on” and giving CJ and Eagles 1 on 1s down the field. LSU CBs, especially Fulton, made some insane individual plays that no CBs in our conference can make. 

Sam needs to improve his accuracy, but any DC who thinks giving up 1 on 1s downfield will work against our receivers would be an idiot. 

• Like 2

On 9/6/2019 at 7:35 PM, Armybrat said:

Yeah, I never heard him called “Jimmy”.

On 9/6/2019 at 7:59 PM, BigXII said:

That's cause you never met him. He was introduced to me as "Jimmy."

Be fair, I could introduce the both of yous as "this cool old fart and his moron grand-nephew, the shithead."

Street was always either "James" or "Slick", and moving to Cali and being called "James" by shitheads doesn't invalidate that.

Mentioning that Huston played baseball while being ignorant of the fact that Huston's dad played both Quarterback and Pitcher at Texas - and broke all-time Longhorn records in both, is just fucking ignorant.

Never mind, just breakin' some balls here, it's all good.

Edited by Tex Long
  • Like 1

On 9/8/2019 at 12:04 PM, OU Sucks said:

It was a lob pass. He didn't even need to jump for it. Any pass that is about to hit you in the chest or head is a simple completion. Jena Ehlinger could have caught it. Ingram blew it because he thought he was about to get lit up by a defender and panicked.

Eggzackly.  Watch him turn and look for the defender as soon as the ball touches his hands or perhaps a bit sooner.  It was an easy enough catch that he thought he had it.  Just look it into the hands for the easy TD man.

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I really hope defenses start “catching on” and giving CJ and Eagles 1 on 1s down the field. LSU CBs, especially Fulton, made some insane individual plays that no CBs in our conference can make. 

Sam needs to improve his accuracy, but any DC who thinks giving up 1 on 1s downfield will work against our receivers would be an idiot. 

I absolutely believe that Mike Gundy and Lincoln Riley should single cover Eagles and Johnson every snap -  put all those safeties every up in the box to stop all that Duvernay/Smith/RoJo bullshittery.  Someone get on the tweeter box and let them know. 

Well, I never met him in California either.

A few years ago  I read an interesting article about Chris Gilbert. Seems his young son growing up was not informed at all about his dad’s heroic UT football career in the second half of the 1960s.

He only found out about it at home when he discovered an old hidden box full of Chris’s football memorabilia & newspaper clippings.

2 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Eggzackly.  Watch him turn and look for the defender as soon as the ball touches his hands or perhaps a bit sooner.  It was an easy enough catch that he thought he had it.  Just look it into the hands for the easy TD man.

I'll need @Katfid54 to confirm - but didn't the broadcast say this was Keaontay's first dropped pass of his career?

Regardless - he clearly wasn't the same player after that. 

• Haha 1

On 9/8/2019 at 10:19 AM, Texasrocks said:

Ehlinger struggles with the deep ball. Everyone wants to be explosive, but that's just not his game. He's really good with the long, 12+ play drives where the team consistently picks up first downs and marches down field. Herman and Beck need to embrace that. 

Mind you I'm not complaining about Sam ... but his tendency on the deep ball is to throw it on a line. Too little margin for error that way. Like many other otherwise good college QBs, he needs to learn to put more air under the ball and let the WR go get it, esp when they've got their man beat.

7 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I'll need @Katfid54 to confirm - but didn't the broadcast say this was Keaontay's first dropped pass of his career?

Regardless - he clearly wasn't the same player after that. 

Correct, the broadcast mentioned at one point that it was his first career dropped pass.   That was an easily catchable ball, especially compared to some passes he's caught in the past.

3 hours ago, TheBryMan81 said:

Correct, the broadcast mentioned at one point that it was his first career dropped pass.   That was an easily catchable ball, especially compared to some passes he's caught in the past.

Yeah he wasn't right on Saturday. I am a big fan of his and it was frustrating, especially to see the posters here trash him afterwards. I mean he played shitty so I get it but...I think his injuries probably caught up to him.

4 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I’ve never had a sports opinion more wrong than my opinion of Sam after the Maryland game last year. Stating the obvious, but he is an elite college quarterback.

You're not alone. I called for his benching last year after that Maryland game and said we should start Cam Rising. 

11 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Through three games, Sam is 82/112 for a 73% completion rate.  Has has thrown for 956 yds, 11TDs and 0 INTs.

I think Sam should starts.

Is that good??

Remember when morons ITT tried to call him "Mehlinger"? lmfao

Edited by BigXII

I gave Sam a pass his freshman year. I have seen some pretty shitty freshman look great as seniors but was hoping for incremental improvement his sophomore year.  Then I was pissed and questioned his ability after Maryland last year. Like he went backward. 

Then he read surly and decided to say 'fuck you'.

• Like 3

If they ever think about last year's Maryland game, the whole team must scratch their heads and wonder WTF.

The whole operation looked bad that day. I don't know that there is a better example of sports psychology available. The Texas Longhorns couldn't think and execute like confident athletes who know how to win. Herman's befuddlement seemed like incompetence at the time, but it was justified. He was right that his team was better than they played. It's a credit to him that he, at last, drew out that better team.

I felt that Sam should have been benched in the fourth quarter for Buechelle. For that game, that still might be the better decision. For the coming season, Herman made the better decision. He stayed the course, and his faith was justified. Sam was who Tom Herman thought he was.

Herman has convinced me to take the position I've always been more comfortable with: I will assume the head coach knows what he's doing and contain my hysteria about moment to moment issues. 

Sam will be Sam and a pleasure to watch and have representing the University.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

I suggested LoLinger at one point, so Sam hasn't discriminated in dishing out massive helpings of crow. Definitely a situation it's better to be wrong about than right.

What blows my mind is the dumbasses who came out of the woodwork last week to slam him in this very topic. Like go a page back and some very regarded people are calling him out, like he was the reason we lost against LSU or some shit.

mind bottling.

Just now, BigXII said:

What blows my mind is the dumbasses who came out of the woodwork last week to slam him in this very topic. Like go a page back and some very regarded people are calling him out, like he was the reason we lost against LSU or some shit.

mind bottling.

Most fans are poor losers. When things don't go their way, their feelers get hurt and they get angry, then go looking for people to blame. That usually means the coaches or QB.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BurntOrangeCrush said:

You're not alone. I called for his benching last year after that Maryland game and said we should start Cam Rising. 

"There's plenty of blame to go around. 
Half of it is on the coaches. 
Half of it is on the players.
And half of it is on the quarterback." 

Mike Valenti

Sam-11-wins.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

If they ever think about last year's Maryland game, the whole team must scratch their heads and wonder WTF.

The whole operation looked bad that day. I don't know that there is a better example of sports psychology available. The Texas Longhorns couldn't think and execute like confident athletes who know how to win. Herman's befuddlement seemed like incompetence at the time, but it was justified. He was right that his team was better than they played. It's a credit to him that he, at last, drew out that better team.

I felt that Sam should have been benched in the fourth quarter for Buechelle. For that game, that still might be the better decision. For the coming season, Herman made the better decision. He stayed the course, and his faith was justified. Sam was who Tom Herman thought he was.

Herman has convinced me to take the position I've always been more comfortable with: I will assume the head coach knows what he's doing and contain my hysteria about moment to moment issues. 

Sam will be Sam and a pleasure to watch and have representing the University.

Maryland seemed to be somewhat inspired and rallied for the fallen teammate and embattled coach. 

They played above their heads that day. 

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Most fans are poor losers. When things don't go their way, their feelers get hurt and they get angry, then go looking for people to blame. That usually means the coaches or QB.

That was me last week. I was upset when he was off on a lot of passes and didnt make the correct reads. He'd definitely a good QB and can win a Championship here if the pieces fall in to place with the defense.

• Fuck You 3