Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

Subtle ways in which media influence:

i think it was halftime of the osu/MSU game but may have been elsewhere- going through highlights of the ou game they show 2 or 3 hurts tds and show his star line with 2 rush and 2 passing tds. 

Then for the Texas game, they show the first wv td, the duvernay rushing td, and then a Sam rushing td, but only show the wv qb stat line. 

Hurts and ehlinger have almost identical stats yesterday but one is pushed and one isn’t. 

• Like 2

I'm a big fan of Sam's and wish him the best this weekend and the rest of the year. and next...

Might be a dumb question..and very dependent on this weekend. and next..

But where does he place in Texas QB history with a WIN (because that's what I believe happens)...already?

Edited by msudawg

8 minutes ago, XYZ said:

I don’t know man. VY, Colt, Major, Peter Gardere, Marty Cherry...

C'mon, man, get real. I'd take James Brown "Maybe we win by 3 touchdowns" over Peter the Great. And Marty Cherry was a temporal anomaly; if you weren't there for his era, you don't know who he was. Bobby Layne over either of those guys, too, not to mention James Street.

Meanwhile...

clcayjfuyaek1le.jpg?w=640

Edited by Walden Ponderer
For anybody joining this conversation late, this is the "popularity" Top 5, not the achievement Top 5 -- for achievements, get Major off the list, too.
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

As a pop culture figure, he's already top 5 all time, but on the field, he needs a conference championship and a playoff appearance to be in the conversation.

I agree... I'll admit I was dumb when asking and forgot he wasn't a sr. yet. thus..the edit. 

Either way. He's going to rewrite some records in the next year and half. 

7 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Right now he’s behind only VY and Colt in status, with Street and Layne in 4th/5th.  This year he will pass Simms, Gardere, Brown and Major to move into #2 all time in passing yards (he’s already surpassed VY) and he will own a superior passer rating, more TDs and fewer INTs than each. At the end of his tenure he will probably beat out Colt for career yardage if he stays healthy.  I doubt he catches Colt for passing TDs, but he will have thrown fewer INTs, and total TDs and rushing yards will be Sam’s. It will be really close to see who wins in overall passer rating between he and Colt.

To be better than Colt he’s gonna have to win at least a conference title and that presumes we get to the playoff too. And even if he does win a national title, as much as I love Sam (he’s probably my favorite player ever), nobody will ever top VY in my book, even though Sam is clearly a better passer.  

When Sam leaves I predict he’ll be the 2nd best QB ever at Texas, and he’s 3rd best now. 

He's never going to catch Jerrod Heard for most receiving yards by a QB, though.

ElectricLonelyIvorybilledwoodpecker-size

9 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Right now he’s behind only VY and Colt in status, with Street and Layne in 4th/5th.  This year he will pass Simms, Gardere, Brown and Major to move into #2 all time in passing yards (he’s already surpassed VY) and he will own a superior passer rating, more TDs and fewer INTs than each. At the end of his tenure he will probably beat out Colt for career yardage if he stays healthy.  I doubt he catches Colt for passing TDs, but he will have thrown fewer INTs, and total TDs and rushing yards will be Sam’s. It will be really close to see who wins in overall passer rating between he and Colt.

To be better than Colt he’s gonna have to win at least a conference title and that presumes we get to the playoff too. And even if he does win a national title, as much as I love Sam (he’s probably my favorite player ever), nobody will ever top VY in my book, even though Sam is clearly a better passer.  

When Sam leaves I predict he’ll be the 2nd best QB ever at Texas, and he’s 3rd best now. 

I love Sam but no way he is ahead of James Street yet who was 20-0 as a starter at Texas with a National Championship.

The only QB ahead of Street is Vince.

• Like 5

I love Sam but no way he is ahead of James Street yet who was 20-0 as a starter at Texas with a National Championship.
The only QB ahead of Street is Vince.

He’s getting the love here because he’s Qb1 now. He’s performing well and seems to be likeable. We enjoy the brand of football he plays and he’s cut out the stupid mental mistakes and hero ball nonsense from his freshman year.

I think there are a few things with Sam that affect our perception of him on top of the fact he is playing at an elite level.  1) he essentially led us out of a decade in the football wilderness.  2) he is the local hometown kid with the heart wrenching/warming story that couldn’t have been written in Hollywood.  For me it is why I want him to win championships so bad aside from my own fandom.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Don't get me wrong because Sam is amazing but let's wait until the end of next year to judge him against the previous great Texas QB's.

No no no.  This is Surly.  Grand proclamations will be made today, for or against, inspite of lack of complete evidence that will no doubt be proven incorrect later.  

Edited by stork642
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

I think there are a few things with Sam that affect our perception of him on top of the fact he is playing at an elite level.  1) he essentially led us out of a decade in the football wilderness.  2) he is the local hometown kid with the heart wrenching/warming story that couldn’t have been written in Hollywood.  For me it is why I want him to win championships so bad aside from my own fandom.

This is the biggest factor for me. While OU brings in a new transfer from outside the state - the whole Mayfield "the team north of the red River doesn't flinch" nonsense was pathetic. You're literally from Austin, baker. - we have a kid who has been living, breathing, and bleeding this team since birth. In a world where mercenaries will jump in and out of the transfer portal at the first sign of competition, this kid wouldn't be caught dead anywhere else. I've even speculated he hangs up his cleats after his senior year. I'm probably wrong, but I can't imagine an NFL career topping this story. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eggo said:

This is the biggest factor for me. While OU brings in a new transfer from outside the state - the whole Mayfield "the team north of the red River doesn't flinch" nonsense was pathetic. You're literally from Austin, baker. - we have a kid who has been living, breathing, and bleeding this team since birth. In a world where mercenaries will jump in and out of the transfer portal at the first sign of competition, this kid wouldn't be caught dead anywhere else. I've even speculated he hangs up his cleats after his senior year. I'm probably wrong, but I can't imagine an NFL career topping this story. 

His perseverance isn't to be overlooked either.  All young QBs struggle.  Remember how long we wandered in the dark with no viable options under center.  We all thought Shane was the guy, but that waned.  Then the early struggles with Sam.  He made some boneheaded mistakes, and many, many people reverted back to the mindset we have for a decade prior.  OK, this is a flop.  Who's next.....but man has this kid come out the other side shinier than a new penny.  The leadership he provides this team is more than most could have imagined when he signed.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

. At the end of his tenure he will probably beat out Colt for career yardage if he stays healthy.  

He would need a pretty amazing senior year to get close to Colt on passing yards, but it’s possible.   Colt had 13,253, Sam is at 6,655.  

Edited by Hook1997

15 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

He would need a pretty amazing senior year to get close to Colt on passing yards, but it’s possible.   Colt had 13,253, Sam is at 6,655.  

From a statistical standpoint his first two seasons compare fairly well to Colt's. Here is a 247 article from this offseason. Of course, Colt turned into an absolute machine his last two seasons and won a conference championship, got fucked out of another conference championship,  won a fiesta bowl,  took us to a National Championship game, went 4-0 vs OU and A&M, and finished top 3 in the Heisman voting twice.

Sam is progressing really nicely and has a ton of talent around him. Hopefully Sam vs. Colt is a legitimate argument in two years.  

51 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

No one has been a bigger Sam homer since the beginning than me but let's cool it on the hyperbole. Proclaiming his ranking amongst greatest QB's at this stage is very aggy. 

PLAYSTATION.jpg

Why are they wearing 2003 helmets?

• Like 1

On 10/6/2019 at 3:32 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

i think it was halftime of the osu/MSU game but may have been elsewhere- going through highlights of the ou game they show 2 or 3 hurts tds and show his star line with 2 rush and 2 passing tds. 

Then for the Texas game, they show the first wv td, the duvernay rushing td, and then a Sam rushing td, but only show the wv qb stat line. 

Hurts and ehlinger have almost identical stats yesterday but one is pushed and one isn’t. 

Fuck the Heisman. It's been illegitimate since they gave it to Bush over VY. 

Id give Hurts the Heisman and every other individual award, as long as we beat em twice this year, stats are for espn know it all "only eight returning starters on defense" dudes that don't watch games.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

Why are they wearing 2003 helmets?

I think that clip isn't from a real NCAA game, the last one is NCAA14. It's from that Madden shit I think. Everybody has Payton Manning helmets lol

PS you can still get NCAA 14 rosters on operation sports for the current season, it's on PS3 but I think it's still better NCAA game than fucking Madden.

Edited by Zavala
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Fuck the Heisman. It's been illegitimate since they gave it to Bush over VY. 

Id give Hurts the Heisman and every other individual award, as long as we beat em twice this year, stats are for espn know it all "only eight returning starters on defense" dudes that don't watch games.

Will aggy put it on the stadium that they were within 8 points of beating Hurts in 2017 if he wins the Heisman? 

• Like 1

Sam has been very good running the ball this year in action deliberately designed to limit the hits he takes.  290 yards on 42 carries (6.9 YPC), 3 TDs and a bunch of 1st downs.  Sacks are adjusted out since they properly belong to the passing game.  The obvious exception was LSU, where Sam carried the ball 19 times, including 5 sacks.  Even there Sam averaged 6.0 YPC against a supposedly all-world defense.

I expect Sam to carry the ball 15-20 times against OU for a lot of yards.  Grinch is playing penetrating one-gap front with quarters coverage behind that.  It's very vulnerable to getting hit up the gut since it keeps 2 safeties deep while the 4 man front attacks upfield and the CBs are aligned wide and near the LOS so they have no pursuit angles on interior runs.  That puts nearly all the responsibility for stopping those runs on the 2 ILBs.  I'm expecting a lot of G/TE power with a backside keeper threat, QB lead/draw and QB counter.  Texas hasn't put much of those plays on film and I think for good reason.  Most of the play calling has either been vanilla (tight zone) or stuff we won't use that much against OU (counter trey).

For reference Sam had 19 and 15 carries against OU last year and 21 carries in the Sugar Bowl. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Sam has been very good running the ball this year in action deliberately designed to limit the hits he takes.  290 yards on 42 carries (6.9 YPC), 3 TDs and a bunch of 1st downs.  Sacks are adjusted out since they properly belong to the passing game.  The obvious exception was LSU, where Sam carried the ball 19 times, including 5 sacks.  Even there Sam averaged 6.0 YPC against a supposedly all-world defense.

I expect Sam to carry the ball 15-20 times against OU for a lot of yards.  Grinch is playing penetrating one-gap front with quarters coverage behind that.  It's very vulnerable to getting hit up the gut since it keeps 2 safeties deep while the 4 man front attacks upfield and the CBs are aligned wide and near the LOS so they have no pursuit angles on interior runs.  That puts nearly all the responsibility for stopping those runs on the 2 ILBs.  I'm expecting a lot of G/TE power with a backside keeper threat, QB lead/draw and QB counter.  Texas hasn't put much of those plays on film and I think for good reason.  Most of the play calling has either been vanilla (tight zone) or stuff we won't use that much against OU (counter trey).

For reference Sam had 19 and 15 carries against OU last year and 21 carries in the Sugar Bowl. 

I just hope they don't run it when it's obvious, critical downs.

Rely on that slant, if it's not there take off

2 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

He's actually on pace to break Colt's record if he stays healthy. He's averaging 289 ypg this season, which doesn't seem unsustainable. If he does that for the rest of his games at UT (23), then he'd break Colt's record. It will be close, but either way, Sam is all but guaranteed to average more yards per game than Colt did. 

2 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

From a statistical standpoint his first two seasons compare fairly well to Colt's. Here is a 247 article from this offseason. Of course, Colt turned into an absolute machine his last two seasons and won a conference championship, got fucked out of another conference championship,  won a fiesta bowl,  took us to a National Championship game, went 4-0 vs OU and A&M, and finished top 3 in the Heisman voting twice.

Sam is progressing really nicely and has a ton of talent around him. Hopefully Sam vs. Colt is a legitimate argument in two years.  

Colt lost to Aggies in 07 and 06 (played hurt), he also lost to OU in 07.  But yeah hes still one of the all time greats, and best passer I think Texas has ever had.    

5 minutes ago, El Pollo Loco said:

Colt lost to Aggies in 07 and 06 (played hurt), he also lost to OU in 07.  But yeah hes still one of the all time greats, and best passer I think Texas has ever had.    

I was talking about his accomplishments his last two seasons only, after he made a massive leap from 07 to 08. To Sam's credit, he seems to have made a pretty big jump this year as well. I said this earlier in the thread, but after his Freshman year and the Maryland game last year, I never dreamed he would turn into a legitimately elite college quarterback.  It's been incredible to watch as a fan.  That awesome feeling of knowing you are going to convert on 3rd and 9 has been missing since January 7, 2010. Glad to have it back. 

I'm sure he'll give the NFL a shot. Very few high level football players pass that up from the start. Between the money and thr chance to compete among the best of the best after a lifetime of working at your craft, it's incredibly hard to say no to that from the outset. Whether or not he'll pan out as a pro is a different conversation.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Eggo said:

Sam is as competitive as they come. There is 0 chance he doesn't try to make it in the NFL. 

On 10/6/2019 at 3:32 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

This is absolutely how it happens.

15 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Sam is as competitive as they come. There is 0 chance he doesn't try to make it in the NFL. 

Yep. For what it's worth, Ricky didn't really care about pro football, either -- his college career was what he'd dreamed about his whole life, but when that was over? He had a pretty good pro career, simply because he wasn't going to not do it; he was a competitor at heart, social anxiety and all.